[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Places approved by both /n/ and /o/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

Why all the hate between /n/ and /o/. There would be no problems if we had a city with good infrastructure for both cars and bikes, as well as good public transportation. I love cars, motorcycles, bicylces, ATVs boats, planes, trains, and everything in between. So why all the hate? Love not war is what we need.
So, what is the best place/city which has

>good streets
>a lot of bike lanes
>public transport
>good sidewalks
>and more /n/ and /o/ approved shit.
>>
A car-friendly road system is inherently unfriendly for pedestrians and (bus) transit, though.
>urban freeways disrupt the street grid and divide neighborhoods, harming walkability
>wide stroads allow cars to move faster but are 1) generally high speed and 2) a nightmare to cross, both of which disadvantage peds
>SOV drivers won't want to give up lanes for dedicated bus service or bike lanes, so buses will be perpetually stuck in traffic or in "HOV" lanes and cyclists will have to ride on the street

You could get around some of these by putting all your urban freeways in trenches and lidding them, and building pedestrian bridges/underpasses across major roads, but that costs money and drivers won't vote to raise their own taxes to pay for things that don't benefit them
>tl;dr such a place doesn't exist
>>
car-friendly = inhuman
a good city is a city with no cars
a good street is a street with no cars
>>
>>1056882
Cars belong in rural areas, not the city or the suburbs. Trucks are acceptable
>>
>>1056887
>tl;dr such a place doesn't exist
Boston and the big dig?

I can imagine that a complete urban boulevard can work with cars, pedestrians, bikes, and buses alike. You can have a lot of intersections and it wouldn't be a problem if you had smart traffic lights that are coordinated as a "green wave." In the US, these can replace non-Interstate elevated highways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_wave
https://medium.com/projexity-blog/5-notes-about-urban-boulevards-7c167da03e7b#.1edc8y733
>>
Trouble with america is they put fucking motorways through towns. 8 lanes and they expect people to cross that without shitting themselves.

Coming from Britain, you wouldn't put the fucking motorway through the middle of town.
>>
>>1057532
What do you mean cross that? You mean like on foot? Are you retarded or something? The way you cross an 8 lane motorway is you get in your cage, you drive to the on-ramp, you drive until the next cloverleaf, you take the correct exit, and, there you go. You found an underpass.
>>
File: well huh.gif (2MB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
well huh.gif
2MB, 288x288px
>mfw Houston is lowkey turning into a /o/ and /n/ friendly city

It's going to take at least another decade to get the public transport anywhere near acceptable, but everything else is falling into place.
>>
>>1057534
Place where I stayed for a holiday had an 8 lane road going through the center. It had crossings. the fuck
>>
>>1057534
>>1057536
Some cities have really big major roads. Those you just have to cross at the crosswalks.
>>
>>1057536
If it has grade-level crossings, it ain't no motorway. That doesn't excuse the pants-on-head-retarded auto-centric urban planning vogue that held sway here for the last century, but still...
>>
>>1056904
>replace non-Interstate elevated highways
They perform different functions desu. Don't trash your roads instead by going a step too far.
>>
File: bi_ostwestfalendamm_innenstadt.jpg (761KB, 750x840px) Image search: [Google]
bi_ostwestfalendamm_innenstadt.jpg
761KB, 750x840px
>>1057532
Germany here. We too put motorways in the middle of our cities. But we raise them above short distance traffic so that everyone can move around normally. See the big red line in this picture? It's a raised highway with four to six lanes, passing into a tunnel in the northern part. You can cross under it on foot, by bike, by car and even by light rail.
>>
>>1056882
I want roadways to be built slightly different than they are now....I think curbs should be pushed back and the space that is currently sidewalk most places should be remade into a 4-8 wide extra lane only for bikes, runners, walkers, and handicapped device users.....
>>
>>1057537
>Those you just have to cross at the crosswalks.

Hobos don't use crosswalks.
>>
>>1057532
its just different. youd consider it not a problem if you were born and raised here. i consider london insanely cramped and kind of uncomfortable desu but its been a while. i just like the open space.
>>
>>1057590
Bielefeld doesn't exist though. Nice try shill
>>
>>1057535
I was using bicycle and busses when I stayed in Houston for 2 months. Was alright, but still a long way to go to get to acceptable standards
>>
>>1061168
Your memery is still on the same level as 1994
>>
>>1057535
I don't live in Houston but I was recently fantasizing about being able to buy up a bunch of the surface parking lots near downtown and fill them all completely up with dense (19th century italianate brick)6-story mixed use blocks with no parking at all

you could probably get a bunch of the parking lot owners to support you because you would be driving the cost of parking up alot

>tfw you will never be a billionaire Realestate developer to use your powers for good
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.