[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Train Track Protection?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: Thomas_Tank_Engine_1.jpg (15KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
Thomas_Tank_Engine_1.jpg
15KB, 300x225px
Do Nations bother to protect the railroad tracks for their trains? At first glance a single person breaking tracks seems like a pretty good way to bring down a huge expensive train but is it more complicated than that? Can trains continue on their way without trouble if the track's planks are damaged or removed for a short distance? Or do Trains primarily only require the metal of the track to remain in safe motion?

For those wondering Author not terrorist.
>>
>>1056786
Always worth a watch, also the tracks planks are called sleepers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fAnkYRw8Bk
>>
>>1056786
Some place like to fence the railroad tracks, especially around urban areas. Here in Spain tracks within urban and metro areas usually have some sort of fence, though it's usually some shitty little fence mostly to keep retards from accidentally walking onto the track.

What is more common than track damage is the communication cables being stolen. This has at times left significant stretches of track out of service because the cables had been stolen.

Some more daring robbers try to steal the overhead wire. This also leaves the track somewhat useless if the railway is highly dependent on electric traction.

I don't know how many missing sleepers are a problem, but certainly missing the occasional one is no big deal. I've see trains passing trackwork where there were fewer sleepers than is usual and there was no problem. I guess you'd need to remove/break quite a few before the rails lose stability and the train derails.

I guess they don't worry much about people damaging the tracks, at least here, because there's little point other than terrorism in damaging tracks, and it's really hard to do so in the short span of time between service ending and starting again (add to that the danger of trains during the night, like freight and sheit). Also trains are no longer as essential as they were in the past.

In past times, it was not uncommon to sabotage rail tracks. A relatively small explosion can damage the tracks enough to make them unpassable.
>>
>>1056872
>What is more common than track damage is the communication cables being stolen. This has at times left significant stretches of track out of service because the cables had been stolen.
Fucking Moroccans/North Africans.
>>
>>1056811
In North America the planks are called Ties. Sleepers are passenger cars with beds that you sleep in, for long trips
>>
>>1056811
in this video sleeper refers to the 20 inches of rail left in between the gaps they made, not the tie the "sleeper" is spiked to
>>
>>1056786
In the UK the railway is fenced off with high security fencing which is regularly maintained. Anyone on the railway land is commuting an offence of railway tresspass which is punishable by a large fine and imprisonment. This includes crossing tracks at a station or walking past the end of a platform. This keeps everyone safe.

However, if anyone is seen trespassing the entire line is shut off until they are found by the transport police. This is frustrating, but it means that they would not be liable for the persons death or an accident caused by equipment they could have damaged (cable theft etc).

No one would ever bother stealing the sleepers, and stealing rail would be terrorism. However the rails are used to send signals so if it were broken they would know pretty soon. The biggest issue is cable thieves cutting signal cables, overhead wires, and stripping out control boxes to sell the wire as scrap. They often get electrocuted, but if they are successful it results in maybe days of disrupted trains while Network Rail rewires everything they cut up.
>>
>>1056872
>Some more daring robbers try to steal the overhead wire. This also leaves the track somewhat useless if the railway is highly dependent on electric traction.
Another spainfag here, fucking romanians, they stole every year 3-4 millions of wires.

Another funny fact is that our country has a extremely high population of rabbits and they make their holes under the rails so that creates dangerous situations.
>>
>>1056786
Japan intentionally reduce speed of some shinkansen trains just to protect the track
>>
>>1056920
Can confirm
Railway ties is the term used in Ontario
>>
>>1056945
Sleepers are a bitch to get out, this is coming from someone training to be a trackworker. Literally no point in taking sleepers out since if they are wood they are most likely rotten to fuck and are will also give you cancer if you burn them, and secondly the concrete ones are heavy as fuck and its concrete.

People steal wire all the time, unfortunately for us. Less so overhead wire, because, you know, 24kv of electricity running through them is not fun to touch.
>>
>>1057527
>this is coming from someone training to be a trackworker
>literally no point in taking sleepers out since if they are wood they are most likely rotten to fuck

but isn't rotten tie replacement a large part of maintenance of way operations?
Making sure your track isn't full of rotten ties is part of your job as a trackworker.
>>
>>1057578
I was referring to >>1056945 and agreeing that the sleepers are worthless to take out. Sure, we replace them but they are worth nothing when they come out and are only good for burning (which we can't even do) or just left to rot away.
>>
>>1057527
Brah, ties are easy as fuck to change. Pull the spikes, knock off the anchors, have the backhoe slide it out, and then if he's halfway decent at running it, you get him to slide the plate on while putting the new tie in.

Real tough work is building up panels for crossings. Anchors on every tie, having to set a shit load of spikes, then having to drive them all with an 80lb hydraulic spiker.

Now, this is all way easier on a production gang with machines to do it all.
>>
everyones so concered about terrorism killing like 3 people a year while 100,000s die from old people in cars running over bicylists, walkin in front of a train while looking ar your phone, teenage nignogs shooting other teenage nignogs and pharmacutical companies giving people deadly opiate addictions
>>
>>1057657
ok
>>
File: table-set.jpg (76KB, 900x494px) Image search: [Google]
table-set.jpg
76KB, 900x494px
>Wasting sleepers in 2017
You're meant to sell them to make gardens with. People pay a lot for reclaimed sleepers.
>>
>>1056909
Foarte bine ne-evreu. Dau vina marocanii.
>>
>>1057680
On my country they are banned because the wood usually have cancerous chemical components.
>>
>>1057705
what, the creosote makes them ban-able, or does your country add additional preserving treatments?

I have seen people use them for outside planters and landscaping in my country.
I wouldn't want to use one indoors for something I touch daily.

If you are not frequently rubbing creosote on your skin, or eating it, you should be fine.
>>
>>1057816
Creosote is cancerous itsself and if left in the wild it tends to seep into the ground cousing even more havoc.

This is why old railroad ROW tends to be so nasty and why modern railroads use concrete ties whenever possible.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.