[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Touring across the Europe w/ bicycle.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: cycling-through-europe.jpg (102KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
cycling-through-europe.jpg
102KB, 640x480px
I'm interested in cycling through the Europe with a bicycle, but I'm completely lost with regards to bikes. Prices go from 0 euros to 15,000 euros.

Don't really know which touring bikes are actually good for long distance biking and which are not. I'm about 2 meters tall and weigh 105kg so it would need to be rather robust, but something that doesn't physically kill my back/shoulders.

Any recommendations for a touring bicycle from 1000 - 2000 euro range? Planned length would be 5500 kilometers or so.
>>
>>1054674
If you're not a semi-experienced cyclists, I'd advise you against it overall unless you're very flexible-minded and prepared to face all sorts of unexpected, sometimes unpleasant events.
You see 50km on a map, they might be all flat or have a fucking mountain in between so traveling times vary wildly (not to mention rain, wind, accidents etc)
>>
>>1054674
Get a folding bike, if you're this lost when it comes to bikes it means you're probably not in riding shape to be riding 200km at a time without getting incapacitated within 2 days, and the folder will give you almost all of the mobility of a "real" bike while giving you a lot less nonsense to look after when you're not actually on the bike (such as at night when you're sleeping)
>>
>>1054674
holy fucking shit those two are packing an absolutely insane amount of stuff, six panniers AND a trailer? Man wtf
>>
File: Topographic_map_example.png (152KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Topographic_map_example.png
152KB, 600x600px
>>1054687
I have the sense to use a topo map.
I can take unpleasant events.

>>1054691
I'm in a good shape. I can hike 70 - 90km in a day. Just that I don't want to find out middle of the way that the bike is killing my back or shoulders, as there are little remedies for that.
>>
>>1054693
>I'm in a good shape. I can hike 70 - 90km in a day
That isn't what "riding shape" means, you can be a world record marathon runner for all I care but riding is a different movement and jumping right into riding long distances every day without conditioning is going to put you in a world of pain, and I don't mean "being tired"
>>
Stay away from the cities unless you want to be culturally enriched. Stay away from Germany and Sweden in general.
>>
>>1054674
Steel mtb with slicks.
>>
>>1054693

Listen to >>1054694

Cycling is going to use your muscles in different ways than you'd be used to if you don't ride regularly.

Considering that you're already worried about back/shoulder pain I'd bet that going all out right off the bat is going to end up with you having difficulty even walking after the first day or two, regardless of if you're in good shape or not.

As far as bike choice goes though, I'd say it depends on what kind of load you plan on hauling. Some people just use regular road bikes and travel light. Other people haul a metric fuckton of stuff like in your pic there. I wouldn't worry too much about the carrying capacity of the frame as much as I'd worry about the quality of your wheels. I see way more people snapping spokes or hubs going bad than busted frames.
>>
>>1054723
I just named the two things so people would understand my fear about biking a shit bike, and the reason why I came here was for bike advice to avoid buying a shit bike.

I don't plan to haul much, a small back bag at best.
>>
>>1054725
>Trek 520
>Miyata 1000
>specialized sequoia
>univega gran turismo (cheapest)
>>
>>1054692
There's 3 of them. The bike on the right is a tandem
>>
>>1054737
Thanks. I've seen Trek in my country, so that is what I can probably get here.
>>
>>1054694
don't underestimate this advice, i regularly cycle around 300 km a week cam easiy bike over 100 km without feeling pain the next but recently i decided to run 5K at 'leisure' pace and the next day i had sore legs, for measly 5K.

And that's excluding the fact that your butt isn't used to ride long distances so you your ass will probably be bleeding by the fourth day
>>
>>1054702
Polack detected.
>>
>>1054737
Add Fuji Touring to the list.
>>
File: 1487979909706.png (260KB, 483x368px) Image search: [Google]
1487979909706.png
260KB, 483x368px
>>1054747
>not being a member of best board
>>
>>1054740
welp now i feel dumb
>>1054743
what country are you from m8
>>
>>1054774
Finland. My plan is to go from Danzig to South Italy.
>>
>>1054674

a friend of mine wanted to do a one week tour without experience.
shes super fit. she's a local boulder ace and dose all kind's of sports on the side.

after 3 days she took the train home.
granted she had a very shit bike.

so maybe atleast get a allright and good fitted bike
>>
>>1054868
>a friend of mine wanted to do a one week tour without experience. shes super fit.
>after 3 days she took the train home.
>granted she had a very shit bike.

That's just straight-up a lack of willpower/grit/gumption/whatever you want to call it. I did my first week long tour when I was flabby and entirely out of shape, up mountains on a fucking flatbar hybrid. It sucked. I toughed it out.

I've seen it before. It seems like a common issue gymbros and people who play sports face when heading out into the wilderness for something like backpacking or bike touring. They think that just because they're fit, they can do it, without realizing that it's just as much mental as physical. They're only used to suffering for an hour at a time; not for hours on end, day after day.

>>1054674
>>1054693
If you can hike 70-90km a day and are used to being outdoor for extended periods of time, you'll be fine.

>>1054737
>>1054748
These are all good suggestions. Kona Sutra would also do well, and I think is available in Europe.
>>
>>1054874

regarding >>1054868
I think the shitty bad fitting bike played a big role in it. she said after two days her right knee hurt like hell and by the third day she felt like if she were to continue the she might permanently damage something.
she's usually really stubborn.

but you have a point.
>>
>>1054860
If you want to have a wider options of bikes I guess you could take the ferry over to sweden and look, that would give you the option of getting a surly or genesis at least.
>>
>>1054883
forgot to mention it's more or less only Urban Bike Wear carrying any of those brands
>>
You can't go wrong with the trek 520 or the surly long haul trucker, I'm getting a 520 for myself in a few months.

But,as others have already said in this thread, you should not head out on a 5k journey without BICYCLE training. You buy the bike some time before your planned departure, and go multi day and week tours where you ride the daily distance you aim for on the tour to Italy. That way you will get an idea of what's waiting for you,and you can adjust expectations accordingly.

Good luck op, it's definitely doable!
>>
>>1054702
Germanfag here: Ignore this. Anon doesn't know shit about Germany or is alt-right shill.
>>
>>1054860
> Danzig -> South Italy
Nice! I'd pick cities that I'd like to see and plan the tour to incorporate them.

e.g.
Danzig - Wroclaw - Prague - then across Germany (e.g. visit Regensburg / Karlsruhe) - Straßbourg - Lyon - then south to Montpellier - Marseille - Nice and on to Italy.
>>
>>1054904
That's exactly what I want to do, I am not going to do a competitive race or anything like that. Will go in 2 months or so.

>>1054883
>I guess you could take the ferry over to sweden and look, that would give you the option of getting a surly or genesis at least.
Not impossible, I can certainly do this if I can't find a good bike here.
>>
>>1054737
Backing trek 520 and sequoia. Not that others are bad, but have good experience with the trek and specialized
>>
>>1054904
For France after Lyon i suggest:
Nimes - Montpellier - Arles - The Camargue - Aix en Provence - Brignoles - Hyeres - Saint Tropez - Frejus - Cannes - Nice. I would skip Marseille. Even better skip the coast and cross the Luberon then the Verdon before reaching Nice.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.