[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

fare evaders

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (225KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
225KB, 500x334px
What does /n/ think of people who fare evade?
What do you think is a suitable punishment?
>>
i'm indifferent
then again when i was homeless i was a frequent fare evader

honestly the punishment is probably good enough but they really need to up how frequently you'll run into a fare inspector
i ran into one on Trimet a single time over around 200 trips and fortunately enough i paid that day
>>
>>1054623
I know all the drivers on the TTC so they never make me pay.
>>
remember seeing people get their fares inspected on the san diego tram, painful to watch. I always had mine but then again have never been hungry or homeless due to lack of money. Remember one time particularly well when cute girl my age got whisked away, something about that scene kind of opened my eyes.
>>
Fare collection barely covers the cost of maintaining the access control and payment systems, it's basically just a formality they do to satisfy rules conceived in advance to give the impression of "fairness" or "fiscal responsibility". Ideally we'd just get rid of it as it adds too much bureaucracy and maintenance crews would be better off maintaining actual stuff that matters, not gates and vending machines.

There obviously has to be some consequence of fare evasion otherwise the whole thing would become a joke, but I don't think it should be anything more serious than an administrative punishment. A reasonable fine (if we're being idealistic it would be means based), a mandatory court appearance, something like that.
>>
Here in toronto i rarely ever pay fare. I encourage fare evasion.
>>
Back here we use RFID token machine (for those who couldn't be bothered to buy a monthly pass or electronic payment card) and you can't enter the station (or at least, the waiting area) without it.

The guards is at the automatic gate and there are auxillary police (with guns) hanging about, so it would be extremely not to pay for yo ride in the first place. Hell if you managed to sneak into the train and got caught in the process, expect to pay surcharges of up to 30 times the fare
>>
>>1054623
They are scum. Public shaming campaigns of showing mugshots of fare evaders on digital displays in stations and trains might work.

>>1054673
I would argue for keeping fares as they keep the homeless from sleeping, begging and peeing in train cars, generally using it as if its a home or being a general nuisance. Also fares provide some deterrent against pickpockets and scum who spraypaint graffiti inside transit vehicles. If there were no fares it would be open season to these guys.

>>1054683
You are scum
>>
I rode the tram in Heidelberg for free for the whole last weekend.
>>
File: jumping-the-turnstile.jpg (46KB, 395x306px) Image search: [Google]
jumping-the-turnstile.jpg
46KB, 395x306px
Jump the turnstile never pay the toll
>>
>>1054623
>What do you think is a suitable punishment?
Summary execution by guillotine
>>
>>1054673
From the DOT people I'v spoken to at events, I thought it was more to keep the rails from being rolling homeless shelters, which improves quality of service.
>>
>>1054730
and then you do-wha-ditty and bust with the pre-roll
>>
>>1054673
>Fare collection barely covers the cost of maintaining the access control and payment systems
Tell that to all the agencies that have high farebox recovery ratios
Tell that to all the agencies that make a profit

Having services that partially pay for themselves also incentivizes transit agencies to run services that are more useful to riders, instead of just following whatever politics controls the government funding.
>>
>>1054623
1. There's no such thing as a free ride.
2. Cucumber up the ol' poop chute.
>>
Transportation should be free for minors, seniors and those without income. And para transit service should offered free to disabled people
>>
>>1054870
what about those with undocumented income and those who make a choice not to work

i sometimes buy the minimum fare and then pay the full amount if i see there is attentive attendandants or police cars in the exit parkinglot

other times i just dont pay

rushhour is always a great time for a free ride
>>
>>1054828
>keep the rails from being rolling homeless shelters

This.

Seattle used to have free bus rides in the downtown core area. Rolling hobo squats.
>>
Manned ticket barriers are the key to cutting down on fare evasion more than fines/penalty fares. That said the penalty fares are far too low on the UK railways, they aren't a deterrent.
>>
>>1054638
Plenty enough of them on Calgary Transit. If the chinks & hindus don't get out of the way of the doors before the C-Train leaves 7th Avenue (free fare zone) you find yourself at the next station and more often than not a pair of Transit Troopers are there to issue you a fine.
>>
>>1054709
This fag's got it.
>>
>>1055779
>who make a choice not to work

This isn't a politically correct board, you fucking tranny faggot cunt.
>>
I think I'm pretty pissed off for getting a $250 ticket and accused of "hurting the American economy" after I spent like $1000 and was in a hurry.
>>
What's the punishment for fare evasion for your system?

In Minnesota it's a $180 fine. To combat disproportionate enforcement of minorities there is a universal first time warning and then you get fined.
>>
File: thtrht.png (37KB, 948x401px) Image search: [Google]
thtrht.png
37KB, 948x401px
>>1056289
in Melbourne if your caught with out a valid myki its going to cost you $229(AUD) or if $78(AUD) if your under 18yrs

pic related is from http://economicdevelopment.vic.gov.au/transport/legislation/public-transport-fines
>>
>>1056310
>Interfering with the doors of a vehicle

So many people hold the train up so there friends can catch up and get on the train. It really grinds my gears. The next train is only in a few minutes!
>>
>>1054623
Caltrain here in SF has the best policy IMO. You just get kicked off and have to wait for the next train.
>>
Fare evaders are anti social elements that need to be gassed. That being said I think we should have communism and free (as in socialized) transportation.
>>
>>1056289
in germany you generally have to pay a penalty fare of €60. this penalty fare is reduced to €7 if you can proof within a week that you were in possession of a valid ticket at the time of the ticket inspection

of course fare evasion is also a criminal offence in german law which can carry a prison sentence of up to a year or a fine. in practice both the transport companies and public prosecution services usually only file charges in case of serial fare evasion though
>>
People talk about low income people or people who would pay if the punishment was worse, but the only people I ever see doing it are rich college students who brag about not needing to pay. Some of that is probably because the only routes without fare gates or a bus driver watching you go to the areas with a lot of them, but the only people who support POP here either never ride it or are the people who fare evade themselves.
>>
I see nothing wrong with fare evasion. The rail companies are the real scum who sit back and profit from doing nothing. The more fare evaders the better. They don't deserve the revenue. Trains should be free as a public service. Maybe charge for longer intercity or high-speed, but commuter and regional routes should be free as a public service. If people use the train for work, their employer should have to pay a train tax to let them travel for business purposes regularly.
>>
>>1056289
Fare evasion on BC Transit (Translink) Skytrain will net you an initial fine of $173 CAD. After 180 days it goes up to $213, after 1 yr it jumps up to $273.

And they will get you via your drivers licence renewal (skip to a neighbouring province for a dl won't work as inter-provincial collection agreements are in place).

Age 15 and tell the system to fuck off??? oh yeah baby... they'll be coming after you over 10 years later:

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/news/bc/icbc+cracking+down+unpaid+translink+fines/9687414/story.html

..fuck my Canada.
>>
It has become commonplace for immigrants to evade bus fare in my city. That's not to say locals don't do it, in fact among the poor it's a fairly popular activity, but immigrants now have this picture that there's nothing wrong with fare evading because "everyone else does it", "everyone else" being the poor locals they're surrounded with.
Do you guys have a similar problem?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.