[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SUP, guys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 3

File: jp13sup-cabby-mvg-01-indra.jpg (321KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
jp13sup-cabby-mvg-01-indra.jpg
321KB, 800x450px
How far can you travel in one of these? Also, can you load some cargo?
I'm considering buying one for the summer, to take me into the sea and do some snorkeling there, or to find some hidden beaches, so I would be carrying mostly the snorkeling equipment and maybe some food and water, plus sunscreen. Also planning to attach a seat to do some kayaking
>>
>into the sea

The real question would be. Which sea?
>>
>>1052797
That ass is more flat than that board.
>>
>>1052815
Mediterranean sea, some 10-15km off-coast. What is it that you're concerned about?
>>
>>1052825
It is, indeed
>>
>>1052797
Why not just buy a kayak?
>>
>>1052836
Bigger, heavier, more difficult to transport, less versatile, more expensive.
>>
>>1052840
>not useless
>>
>>1052847
What do you mean by that?
>>
>>1052850
That paddling a surf board while standing is probably the most retarded form of transportation.
>>
>>1052852
I like the versatility, you can either stand or sit. And for the above reasons too.
Back to original message tho: any answers?
>>
SUP is useless for what you want to do- its basically just a pool toy. Get a fucking kayak or you'll die.
>>
>>1052877
That's a pretty compelling argument haha. Oh well, probably I should settle for 3-5km offshore instead of 10-15 while I get the grip of it.
The balance is still leaning towards the SUP board though. I'm very compelled to it.
>>
Make sure to carry an anchor or else you'll come up from your snorkeling and the board will be gone
>>
>>1052797
I'm faster padling with my arms in a surfboard than stading in a fucking SUP
>>
>>1052988
think about it from a mechanics perspective
standing and using a long pole gives you very little leverage and requires a large amount of torque, which is difficult to produce
humans are good at low resistance, quick movements, not high resistance, slow movements as much, that's what makes us good at running
>>
File: origami-paddle-board-unfolded2.jpg (50KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
origami-paddle-board-unfolded2.jpg
50KB, 800x450px
http://www.orukayak.com/products/the-bay-series

otherwise if there was was a SUP that folds in half to be carried on your back with straps (perhaps the inflatable seat doubling as the back padding. add two drybags to the mix and good times could be had exploring coastlines and waterways.

as someone who lives in a country crisscrossed with canals, paint me interested
>>
>>1052988
>>1052985

Yeah... I'm not really looking for the highest speed possible desu, more like spending some time offshore, stop when I feel tired and snorkel for a bit, or go to the next hidden beach (there's plenty nearby).
About anchoring the board, I don't think that will be a big issue in this part of the Mediterranean, since the current is not strong, or the winds too fast in summer when I'm planning to do this.
>>
>>1052830

>10 to 15km off the coast on a recreational meme

I dont think this is very safe OP
>>
>>1053093
Op here
Yep, I realised that. I'm settling with 3-5 instead
>>
>>1052840
>>1052855
They build sea kayaks for exactly what you're doing you mong.
>>
>>1053108
Link or name of equipment plz mong?
>>
>>1053099
Right, I just googled it. That's not exactly what I want, sea kayaks are rigid and seem like a pain to transport. I really like the inflatable SUP board for how easy they are to inflate and how small they become after folded, you can fit them inside your car trunk and just go.
Anyhow, does anyone know if I could load the originally mentioned cargo on it while out at sea?
>>
File: 61y88rnBPDL._SX355_.jpg (15KB, 355x272px) Image search: [Google]
61y88rnBPDL._SX355_.jpg
15KB, 355x272px
As in, should I strap everything here? (Pic related)
Does anyone have any experience carrying things in there?
>>
OP wants the true African migrant experience
>>
op you are going to die if you think that an inflatable paddleboard is an appropriate offshore boat
get a fucking kayack, they make collapsible ones
>>
>>1053139
>>1053140
You guys think I'm gonna cross the Mediterranean on this or something? kekmao.
>>
>>1053150
15km is plenty enough to get yourself in deep shit far away from help
>>
>>1053154
Not 15 anymore, I reassessed that and I was thinking now 3 to 5 km at most. How would you feel about that distance? Is it manageable?
Also, any tips on my cargo of food, water and sunscreen + snorkeling equipment?
>>
As someone who enjoys using any form of water craft I can tell you this.

Paddle boards are fun for fucking about on, nothing more.

If you are going to be on the sea most of the time why do you care about portability?

A $300 USD Kayak is going to be a million times more sea worthy than an $800 paddle board.

Kayaks and paddle boards are shit in the wind but at least a kayak has a few mm of draft and you can put down appreciable power. It is much easier to battle wind in a Kayak.

Paddle boards don't do well anywhere near waves either.

Inflatable paddle board? That just exaggerates the downsides of a paddle board. The only good thing about it is that you can carry it easily, but again if you spend most of your time in the water or on the beach what is the point?
>>
>>1053117
It's actually quite easy to transport kayaks/canoes with a cage as long as you've got proper mounts for it. And they're much better for actually moving somewhere than a paddle board, especially inflatable one.
>>
>>1052825
Tpbp
>>
>>1053074

>Wants to be taken seriously as an ocean goer
>Happy to leave an unmanned vessel freely floating whilst he goes snorkeling
>>
>>1053173

If he had any sense he'd probably tie it to him but that bound and rebound will get old quick.
>>
>>1053173
Op here, not really want to be taken seriously, just willing to learn. If you have any input I'll be glad to hear it. Get off your high horse tho, there's no need to belittle anyone.
>>
>>1053180
Stop having such strong opinions about things if you have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>1053180
You're fucking retarded.
>>
>>1052840
>less versatile
Any non-manlet can carry a kayak, and a kayak will take you far more places than a piece of shit surfboard.

In response to your original question though, some retard is finishing a solo Atlantic crossing on a paddle "board."
http://www.thesupcrossing.com/live/
>>
>>1053180
op, do not fuck around in the ocean, currents can be way stronger than you expect and shit can go wrong very fast
get something seaworthy, don't worry about carrying it on land, a kayak is easy to carry, and you'll need a roof rack for your car no matter what you get
don't buy anything inflatable unless its a zodiac with a outboard motor, inflatable paddleboards are pretty much just for dicking around on a small lake, and inflatable kayaks can be good boats but are slow af compared to a normal plastic one
>>
>>1053117
It's easy to transport a Kayak if you have a roof rack, you just need to tie it down properly.
>>
>>1053112
>he's too retarded to use google
>>
>>1053180
People are giving genuine answers to your fucking question, and trying to stop you from risking your life, but you're too much of a stubborn retard to actually listen. If you fuck around in the ocean, you die.
>>
>>1053164
A proper sea kayak (sit in, 14ft+) is fine in the wind.
>>
>>1053452

That's a particularly long and pricey kayak. This boy won't be able to afford anything other than a cheap sit on if he thinks an inflatable paddle board is within his budget
>>
>>1053465

>Within

I meant maximum
>>
>>1052893
Then follow your dream anon
>>
>>1053467
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEuPmVAb8o
>>
>>1053477
He's going to die.
>>
>>1053465
That's a perfectly normal sea kayak, sit on tops and shorter kayaks are just not seaworthy. It's pricier than an inflatable or a sit on top, but it's nothing crazy, at least if you buy second hand.
>>
>>1053611

I take my 10' sit on on kayak into waters that powered vessels between 18' and 30' have difficulty in.

It's small size and buoyancy makes it bob between the waves like a cork.
>>
>>1053614
Sit in kayaks are buoyant as fuck too, and their size isn't a problem in waves. Sit on tops have a huge disadvantage, because their hull shape is naturally slow, and your seating position isn't good for efficient paddling. Sit on tops are great for a short distance paddle close to the shore, or a bit of fishing, but as far as actually going out on the ocean, they are unsafe.
>>
>>1053707

All true.

But they are 10x better than a paddle board.
>>
>>1052825
>That ass is more flat than that board.

Would also be more fun to paddle.
>>
>>1053451
Op here. I appreciate the genuine answers and I'm considering them, don't know what you think I'm not. I just want someone to answer if carrying some cargo in a SUP board is doable.
It's just hypothetical you guys! Don't kill me just for wanting to know the specifics of this particular option. Geez
>>
>>1054099

I mean come on. Your questions are so fucking vague.

Some paddle boards can float with a 250lbs person on them so I am sure you can work it out.

If you don't want it wet strap it to your fucking back.
>>
>>1054109
Fucking thanks m8
>>
>>1054099
Strapping cargo to a SUP is possible, but that's not what's important. What's important is that you seem to be planning on taking a SUP out on the sea, far from the shore, which is potentially fatal. It's not something to "consider", it's just a fact that if you fuck up on the ocean, you drown.
>>
>>1054268
Alright then, I s'pouse I was overestimating what I could do on a SUP board. Still I will use it for near-the-coast activities. Thanks guys
>>
Get a little sailboat
>>
>>1054759
I would prefer something more portable, that's the main reason I'm choosing the SUP board. Also, doesn't a sailboat of any size require mooring? That's crazy expensive, from what I heard.
>>
>>1054762

Small hobie cats can be just dragged up on the beach by one person easy.

Also you don't have to moor. You can anchor, just need to be near it.
>>
>>1054764
Good to know. Thanks anon, I'll consider that option for the future.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.