[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fantasy Public Transit Maps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 32

File: Bu_bus_aut2.jpg (507KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Bu_bus_aut2.jpg
507KB, 1920x1080px
Hi n/. Wanna have a discussion about autistic fantasy transport maps and planning? I've been reworking the bus network of this shitty town in Germany. Feel free to AMA, give feedback and post your own ideas, plans, and maps.
>>
I would make sure to keep lines with Erschließungsfunktion (no idea how to translate that) and Verbindungsfunktion separate.
A line either mostly connects places or it enables people to access the public transport system. Mixing those two functions usually ends up being cheaper, but you have an inferior system.

No idea, if Lower Saxony employs the ITF-concept for its railway system, but maybe it would be worthwhile to check, if the train station could serve as an ITF-node.
>>
>>1049743
I don't think it does. The train station is served by the Hannover S-Bahn and it serves as the central interchange station for all local bus lines. The timetable is awful. All departures are spread out evenly across the course of half an hour or more. It would make sense to give people just enough time to change between trains and different bus lines and then have them all depart at roughly the same time.
I tried to make outbound lines connecting to neighboring towns and villages, going a straight and quick route to and from the station. Many of them end up at other train stations or bus interchanges. Then there's neighborhood bus lines (orange, bright yellow and dark blue) with a large amount of coverage of the town center. I haven't heared of the ITF concept under that name before, but it seems I attempted something very similar to that.

Erschließungsfunktion might be translated as coverage function and Verbindungsfunktion as connection/connective function.
>>
File: Bu_bus_aut3.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Bu_bus_aut3.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
The bigger picture.
>>
>>1049736
strange to see something this close to home here on 4chan, do you do this for fun or do you work for the town/region?
>>
File: häme duoratikka.png (710KB, 1026x1128px) Image search: [Google]
häme duoratikka.png
710KB, 1026x1128px
Pic related.
I have often fantasized a rail system to my region, in this case, a tram-train.

>connects villages, towns and cities toghether
>would reduce the amount of cagers in highway 3 and county road 130
>would make a solid transportation solution in hämeenlinna; connects busy tiiriö shopping area, hockey arena, vocational schools, city centre, main station and different neighbourhoods together
>makes region more attractive and boosting growth
>on summertime it would help people get to the fairs in western riihimäki, to the various mega-conserts in kantola neighborhood, connect historical town of iittala (known for old chocolate and glass tradition), puuhamaa-waterpark and just get people various places = increases tourism

Of course NIMBY-rural party government would never accept this and keep throwing southeners tax payer money to the shitty dying north, where the people coming to Häme are from.

Also it would be just 27km of new infrastructure, 10km of it is tramway middle of a street and 17km would be mainly simple railway middle of forrests and fields.

Even though the green part on the map is main line, it's just hourly north-south intercity services with huge empty gaps where a frequent tramtrain would fit easily, especially when main line stops are separated so a bigger train can pass. On night it's just slow freighters going to Helsinki Harbor(s).
>>
File: 1234520599944.jpg (12KB, 340x333px) Image search: [Google]
1234520599944.jpg
12KB, 340x333px
>tfw stadtrat
>tfw pushed hard for another streetcar line
>tfw made city spend some 80m of its own funds on it, with additional funding from the state and the federal government

feels gud
>>
>>1051544
That actually could work however i think the main line sections would cause some issues and there should be atleast one extra track build just for the system.

Also >tfw Finland can't into good public transport exept Greater Helsinki region
>>
File: BARTreimagined.png (1MB, 1316x2025px) Image search: [Google]
BARTreimagined.png
1MB, 1316x2025px
>>1049736
If only...
>>
>>1051798
Isn't that just the original BART plan? (Albeit much much nicer looking)
>>
File: junaratikka karlsruhe2.jpg (243KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
junaratikka karlsruhe2.jpg
243KB, 1200x800px
>>1051796
It would work, didn't thought the 3rd track.

It's sad how shitty the public transport is outside Helsinki.
It took forever to decide about Tampere light rail, mainly due to Centre Party forcing the BRT meme and lobbying light rail down.
>>
File: AlternativeHelsinkiRail2050.png (678KB, 5500x4600px) Image search: [Google]
AlternativeHelsinkiRail2050.png
678KB, 5500x4600px
>>1051808
Yeah there are so many potential cities and areas for light rail but still all we get is shitty bus systems outside of Helsinki.

I'd like to imagine that heavy rail lines in Helsinki could look something like this in the future. But then again länsimetro fucking up big time and the general hesitation of building costly transport infrastructure, this or anything up to close won't never be built. It seems that projects like pisarata are in a limbo for years to come.
>>
File: so_erect.gif (937KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
so_erect.gif
937KB, 500x281px
>>1051798
>tfw picturing a rail line down the middle of golden gate bridge
>>
>>1051798
> contra costa line goes through los altos
nobody there is gonna ride the fuckin train
they're all rich as fuck
>>
>>1051892
A lot of people get on in Palo Alto and Menlo Park to go to SF.

>>1051889
> down the middle
No. But there was talk of running what later became BART on a second deck underneath the road. Up until 1958, trains did run on the lower deck of the Bay Bridge.
>>
File: ttsa.png (554KB, 832x702px) Image search: [Google]
ttsa.png
554KB, 832x702px
>>1051840
Länsimetro was the worst fuckup in this country. Can't understand how they can mess it so bad.

Pic related my regional railway map for Greater Häme and Uusimaa. Just can't understand how there is no regional rail north of Riihimäki.

Kinda against my tram-train powerfantasy.
>>
>>1051504
I did it for fun. Where do you live, Anon?
>>1051544
That seems very well thought out and actually plausible. Nice. That's the kind of creative autism for which I keep coming to this board.
I also have an irrational love for tram-train systems, especially the really small ones.
>>1051798
That also looks like a real good plan. Reminds me of Melbourne trains or the Berlin S-Bahn.
>>
>>1051796
>>1051808
>>1051840
you guys don't have the population density to afford really good light rail and streetcar systems outside your somewhat densely populated south. harsh but true.
>>
>>1051840
>all we get is shitty bus systems
I can't understand how the cities can fuck up the buses too.
It's not nuclear physics to have a proper, functional bus system but still cities like Oulu fucked them up.

Oulu is run by Centre Party who just lobbies to build 'burbs so that might be a problem.
>>
>>1052477
What makes a bus system function properly, or what makes it bad?
>>
File: oulubus.png (360KB, 744x1426px) Image search: [Google]
oulubus.png
360KB, 744x1426px
>>1052481
In case of Oulu:
>shit frequencies on weird lines (bus every 15min to some random car suburb far away but a dense apartment building suburb gets a bus every 1h what the fuck)
>routes are very complex and not straight-ish so the travel time is slow
>buses itself are noisy and unconfortable to ride
>no bus only lanes or traffic lights that give priority
>prices are too high
>bus stops doesn't have shelters and are just too frequently placed along the streets

And the city council still complains why nobody doesn't use buses and how there is no money for new road lanes for cars.

Oulu is economically in bad condition so bunch of bus corridors would be economically cheap to build, run and it would be easy to convert car lanes to bus/taxi lanes.

I would make three rapid bus lines, kinda like BRT-meme but wouldn't call it a one, pic related.

>buses are new hybrids, enviromentally friendly and comfortable to ride due their quietness - all door boarding
>stops are raised to the level of bus, they have shelters, simple coin ticket machines, simple next bus-information screens and bike stands
>lines have frequency of atleast 10 minutes
>integration with the downtown Citybus-midibus system
>>
>>1051915
near wienhausen, what is very close to this, also my grandma lives in hänigsen, which is included in the pic
>>
>>1052563
Buses not going straight lines is one of the worst crimes of transport planning. Buses should be given priority over single-occupant vehicles at all times. They shouldn't have to make detours and take narrow roads instead of main streets.
One of the primary ideas for the map in the OP was to make a bunch of bus lines going the shortest and quickest possible way, plus neighborhood buses to cover more ground. The bright green, medium blue and pink lines were affected by this.
>>1052891
Cool. I'I grew up in Burgdorf myself and I had some friends in Hänigsen. I guess you must be here for the bicycles though. Is there any public transit where you live?
>>
File: Bu_bhf_abfahrten.jpg (339KB, 920x2040px) Image search: [Google]
Bu_bhf_abfahrten.jpg
339KB, 920x2040px
The timetable is actually even more desperately in need of a revision. Just look at this mess. The trains arrive just a few minutes apart, which you'd think make for a perfect opportunity to have a perfectly integrated timetable. But look at this.
Buses 962, 930 (both directions) 920, 806, 926 and 910 should all arrive at xx:50, feed the S-Bahn trains in both directions, and then depart at xx:05, taking the passengers coming from the trains with them.
Then the rest of the lines should meet at the station at xx:20, departing at xx:38, making the wait for exchange between buses 12 to 18 minutes and giving just enough time to change from train to bus or vice versa.

The cool thing is that Burgdorf station already has extensive bus terminals, so the infrastructure for such a timetable is already there.
>>
File: bu_zob.jpg (179KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
bu_zob.jpg
179KB, 1024x685px
Here's a picture of parts of that infrastructure. There are at least 10 bus platforms. Six in this picture, two to the left on the streetside, and two more on the western side of the train station.
>>
>>1053098
>>1053075
just dropping in to say that i share your autism.
>>
File: bu_zob_display.jpg (117KB, 685x1024px) Image search: [Google]
bu_zob_display.jpg
117KB, 685x1024px
>>1053182
Thanks m8, it means a lot to me.

Here is a pic of the digital departures board, once again showing the terrible spaced-out distribution of the buses. All the infrastructure is there and it is never being used at the same time. The bus terminal is a fairly recent addition. I think it was built for or shorty after the Expo 2000 world's fair. It seems like they wanted to have an integrated schedule and they built the terminal for it, but they never got around to changing the schedule.
>>
File: u1.jpg (1MB, 1600x1634px) Image search: [Google]
u1.jpg
1MB, 1600x1634px
>>1053303
i'm from ulm. we recently had an online participation event to discuss local public transport for 2020 after the launch of our second streetcar line, see http://www.zukunftsstadt-ulm.de/node/2986 . a lot of people participated and i was pleasantly surprised to realize just how many people are similarly autistic in regard to public transport. i mean they exist, this is germany and i read drehscheibe online, but even on a local level and among regular people a lot of folks have picked up on this.

the administration pretty much ignored all input though, which sucks. not happy with the result either. it's nice to get a second streetcar line, and if fucking neu-ulm weren't the utter bavarian retards they are we'd get a third one soon too, but the bus planning is subpar at best.

i get your grievances with the departure time. your proposal makes a lot of sense and it's a shame to see that nicely laid out ZOB underutilized. middle-sized cities in the vicinity of a large state capital can be in a very happy place if they play their cards right.
>>
>>1053374
>i read drehscheibe online
Not the guy you are talking with, but: Oh, you too? I was wondering the other day about how many from there are posting on here as well.
The best place for public transport discussion on the German web.

It's also nice to see that German train spotters generally behave way better than Japanese train spotters.
>>
File: imrral.png (49KB, 1023x1480px) Image search: [Google]
imrral.png
49KB, 1023x1480px
>>1053374
>>1053303
also
>tfw getting an s-bahn centered on a city with a pop of 120k

well sorta, it's basically a way to beef up all the regional train services and give them a nice name. there's seven train lines starting from ulm, soon to be eight with the new fast line to stuttgart via wendlingen, and the area is fairly densely populated so it makes sense. they want two trains per hour for every line in every direction, and new trains too. would be nifty.

>>1053378
yeah, though i'm not interested in trainspotting. i enjoy the infrastructure and city building aspects of multimodal transportation, i.e. i get a nice stiffy when lines get reactivated and towns and villages along the way start to grow.
>>
>>1052923
actually i live in wuppertal mostly now. i saw a schwebebahn thread once.
Yeah public, transport is completly irrelevant where i come from. Car is the only way to go. I think the bus stops three times a day per direction in my village.
>>
>>1053374
Thanks for your contribution. What is it with Neu-Ulm blocking the third line? I thought you were all Swabians and thus pretty close culturally, but I guess that is not the case. A tram line straddling two cities, two states and a river bridge would greatly please my autism.
As far as I remember there was one a few decades ago, but it closed. Is that correct?
>>1053379
That looks like the exact same deal as the Hannover S-Bahn. Maybe they got the idea from there. Improved and centralized regional/regional express trains running every half or full hour.
>>1053393
Funny, I live in Bielefeld. Using the local light rail every day is what got me interested in public transport in the first place. I only realized how screwed my hometown Burgdorf is when I wanted to visit my parents and realized: I would be there faster if I just walked instead of waiting for the bus.
>>
>>1053379
Are there really going to run regional trains on the highspeed line?
>>
>>1053788
What are you talking about?
>>
>>1053891
Express-Linien and Fernverkehr/long distance are both going via NBS Stuttgart, which implies Express are not long distance trains (but regional?).
>>
>>1053911
Passenger trains in Germany can be grouped into four categories:
>RB: Regionalbahn (regional railway), trains that stop at every major or minor station, generally in rural areas
>RE: Regionalexpress (regional express railway), trains that only stop in towns and central stations, no villages or minor stations.
>S-Bahn (commuter rail), just like RB but in urban areas. Sometimes there are express S-Bahnen which function more like RE and don't stop at every station.
>Fernverkehr (long-distance transit): IC (intercity) and ICE (intercity express) trains as well as a few regional or border-crossing high-speed services.
I guess in this case "Express-Linien" refers to RE and "Fernverkehr" means IC and ICE trains.
>>
>>1053644
neu-ulm has money out of their ass but they think half a streetcar line is too much for their 60k population. gets even more absurd when you consider that the city area is flat as fuck with broad, straight roads that can easily fit a streetcar line and lead straight past huge school campuses and thrugh neighborhoods of some 10k each. their main argument is that evobus is the biggest industrial employer in the city and it'd be a disservice to them to install a streetcar line, but their neu-ulm plant isn't even building city buses so ???

there used to be many more streetcar lines in ulm, and one of them lead to the old neu-ulm central station too, yeah. they were all shuttered when people got on their knees to suck mercedes cock, except for one line that made it through the time up until now.

there was a referendum in 1999 actually, the city was planning to realize four more streetcar lines. the referendum didn't even meet the quorum but the city council still shied away from it. fucking shame. http://www.ulmereisenbahnen.de/strassenbahn/strassenbahn_streckenkunde_Teil7.htm

>>1053788
the current plan is 1 ICE per hour and direction, 1 IRE per hour and direction, and like 1 TGV every other hour per direction. it's manageable.
>>
>>1052923
>Buses not going straight lines is one of the worst crimes of transport planning. Buses should be given priority over single-occupant vehicles at all times.

Fucking this. My city refuses to amend routes despite everybody who uses the transit complaining incessantly. The only saving grace for us are "express routes" that were recently added. But those don't go everywhere and suburbs further than 5km from the city centre are fucked. It's a 10 minute drive to downtown from where I live, yet the closest bus stop is 2km away. On a military base.
>>
File: IMG_5976.jpg (143KB, 640x905px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5976.jpg
143KB, 640x905px
>>1054028
An example of this faggotry.
>>
>>1053922
>>1054024
>the current plan is 1 ICE per hour and direction, 1 IRE per hour and direction, and like 1 TGV every other hour per direction. it's manageable.
I see.
There are some other examples of regional trains on high speed lines, the IRE Karlsruhe-Stuttgart (which uses 146+bilevels, but only uses a short part of the highspeed line) and the RE München-Nürnberg (which currently uses 101+repainted IC cars), but both of these have significantly more stops than their parallel long distance lines, while a regional train Stuttgart-Ulm via the highspeed line would directly compete with the long distance ones.
>>
File: Bu_bus_hänigsen.jpg (402KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Bu_bus_hänigsen.jpg
402KB, 1920x1080px
>>1054024
That sounds so depressing. I wish both halfs of Ulm the best of luck with bringing back the streetcar.
>>1054028
>>1054029
Sheeeiiit. Where do you live?
Our current bus system mostly consists of zig-zagging bus lines with lots of coverage, but terrible travel times. Look at pic related for example. Line 920 looks alright, but more priority is given to 910, which has one of the most retarded routings in the world of transport planning. And it gets worse. If you want to get from Uetze (all the way to the east in pic related) to Burgdorf (all the way to the west), you have to travel via literally every single little village and hamlet on the way, taking up to 45 minutes as opposed to a 10-15 minute car ride.
>>
File: Bu_bus_aut4.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Bu_bus_aut4.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>1054201
Pic related is how I would do it instead
>>
File: IMG_6001.jpg (29KB, 250x167px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6001.jpg
29KB, 250x167px
>>1054201
>>1054203
I live in a city called Kingston, Ontario. Simultaneously too small and too big. Upon further review, the routes aren't as bad as they used to be, but they're just really long. We used to have an electric railway that ran from downtown to what's now a mall. Pic related.
>>
Could be worse for you Europeans.

You could all live in America.
>>
>>1054223
New York seems ok, isn't it?
>>
File: IMG_6002.png (707KB, 600x598px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6002.png
707KB, 600x598px
>>1054228
>*cough*
>>
File: metro.png (92KB, 1628x1372px) Image search: [Google]
metro.png
92KB, 1628x1372px
If Budapest was better with underground lines...
Based on real but unfinished plans.
>>
>>1054285
ask your new russian BFFs to build it
>>
File: 13825_nuevo_plano_metrovalencia.jpg (82KB, 780x514px) Image search: [Google]
13825_nuevo_plano_metrovalencia.jpg
82KB, 780x514px
What's the ideal distance between two tram stops? I kinda want to design a whole new tram system for my home city, but I also want it to be realistic.
Pic related, lines 4, 6 and 8 are tram lines, while the other ones are light train/metro.
To get some context:
* 800,000 inhabitants in main city
* 1,500,000 inhabitants in broader urban area
* Airport to the East (lines 3 [red] and 5[green])
* Mediterranean sea, beaches and docks to the West (that shitty line 8)
* Historical center... in the center
* Universities to the North West (connected to the rest of the city by an East-West line)
* Central train station in the center, slightly to the South, going straight in that direction. Connects to important cities such as Madrid and Barcelona (and from there, France).
I'd like to unfuck that, but I'm unsure how.
>bus, metro/tram are two separate system with different tariffs
>central station isn't well connected
>still no tram going to the historical center
>no tram going to the City of Arts and Science (probably the city's #1 landmark)
>whole neighbourhoods are left without rapid transit
>no real North-South connection to the West of the city.
>>
>>1054429
>What's the ideal distance between two tram stops? I kinda want to design a whole new tram system for my home city, but I also want it to be realistic.
My city has a distance of 400 to 500m between most stops on a single line, which I think is pretty reasonable. It's a bit longer in the city center where the tram runs underground, but since all the lines converge there, there's always a stop within walking distance. Keep in mind that junctions, available space and points of interest also play a major role in the placement of stops.
Between two different lines, I believe the best distance is about 800 to 1000m, maybe a little more. That way both stops are still in reasonable walking distance if you happen to be right in the middle.
>>
>>1054431
At a rate of roughly 1min/100m at a fast walking rate, this would mean a maximum of 5 minutes from every point of the line (ideally, of the city) to the nearest tram stop. I've checked Google Maps, and my city has stops about every 500m (3 minutes max to the nearest stop).
Why do you believe the best distance to be roughly 1km?
>>
File: bi_heepen_linie_5_anaylse.png (1MB, 1214x784px) Image search: [Google]
bi_heepen_linie_5_anaylse.png
1MB, 1214x784px
>>1054433
Pic related is from a study in my city's public transit. It was done by a consulting agency from Karlsruhe, one of the cities with the most extensive public transit systems in the world. They assume that people access a tram/light rail stop from a 400 to 500 meter radius as the crow flies, as you can see in pic related. Thus if you put two tram lines next to each other, they should be 800m to 1000m apart for complete coverage.
>>
>>1054445
Neat. Do you know where I can find more of these maps for maximum autism?
>>
>>1054446
Got them from this .pdf. It's all in German, but you can scroll through and find the pictures as you please.
http://bielefeld-natuerlich.de/fileadmin/dokumente/ag_verkehr/potenzialanalyse.pdf
>>
File: nuevo plano.png (2MB, 2000x1675px) Image search: [Google]
nuevo plano.png
2MB, 2000x1675px
>>1054429
I tried.
>>
>>1054446
for maximum autism points

learn about GIS (geographical information systems), best free software QGIS

that's the kind of map you learn to do in introduction classes
>>
>>1054519
So basically you just added the three lines with various shades of green?
>>
File: bus.png (533KB, 1182x845px) Image search: [Google]
bus.png
533KB, 1182x845px
Here's something I've been working on for quite a while now. A fantasy Philadelphia metro transit network, projected full buildout ca. 2050. While I don't expect everything to come to fruition in my lifetime, some things in here are eminently achievable in the short term if planners and pols actually gave a fuck about improving SEPTA.

Rail transit network
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1IhDV40uEc23QUdE2jwkriVPpwM0
Redesigned bus network (suburban lines work in progress)
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=11prQdwG83UJTtAszy8nZQoDnnc0
>>
>>1054667
Cool, I didn't know you could do this on google maps
>>
>>1054669
it's better on open street map
>>
>>1054670
How do you do it? I never figured it out
>>
>>1054667
Bus lines that were letters are now numbered.
>>
>>1054659
Actually I added four, three shades of green plus a pink-ish one, but otherwise yes. It's not much but it takes me a lot of time to do it in GIMP (I don't really have any other software for that atm). I want to also add a couple lines in the South-West part of the city, which I don't really know well enough, and then complete the map by adding the regional trains.

>>1054633
Thanks, I will look into that.

>>1054670
Open Street Map is pretty detailed, I love it.
>>
>>1054677
Yeah, because lettered lines are an artifact of when buses were first introduced on an all-streetcar network. Now it makes more sense for the subway-surface streetcars to be lettered, like SF MUNI.

>>1054670
OSM lets you create an exportable user-created overlay? The KML system of layers is also highly useful and I haven't seen that replicated elsewhere.
>>
>>1054239
Why would you even need to ride the bus? Theres a subway station 15 minute walk from almost anywhere in Brooklyn

The only time I took the bus in NYC was when I was in queens near the terminus of the flushing line
>>
File: Screenshot_20170309-114631.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170309-114631.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>1054667
Omg I was actually just building out a fantasy metro map earlier today myself, not nearly to the level of detail you had though.

City branch should absolutely be heavy rail.

I opted to redo access to the airport as metro, maybe with amtrak, though.

What are your thoughts on the downtown loop? I know Steven was a big fan, but it seems like it would be so expensive to finish as to never be built.
>>
>>1054777
Nothing else will be close to useful as the current Airport Line, direct to 30th St and Center City. The utility of the Airport Line also lies in its one-seat ride from the northern suburbs. Breaking those connections would be regressive. The performance characteristics of Regional Rail are already close to that of subways such that converting them would be a waste of money, as opposed to just running more frequently.

The operating concept of the downtown loop isn't really a real Chicago-style loop so much as it is a circulator that allows each line to elegantly interface with the other two lines. It requires less trackage than other subway plans at this scope, and Center City doesn't really need a lot more subways than what already exists. Technically, with the City Branch, three of the four sides are already tunneled; what is needed is a three-block connection from the City Branch to the Spur, and a 19th St subway, which I envision to be the branch that replaces the Broad-Ridge Spur at Fairmount. Utilize part of that junction and then sever the rest.
>>
>>1051798
Well pretty much any chance of something like this was lost when BART decided to use a retarded loading gauge and track gauge

in a bay RT system tho, I'd expect to see ACE and capitol corridor trains upgraded to rapid transit standards like you have with the caltrain in SF city.

If we're gonna be in fantasy land tho, I'd see the SFO people mover extended past the rental car lot to san bruno, so you can take all trains to the airport. You have to take the people mover anyways to get to the far terminals, so it's not like it adds a transfer.

>>1051889
the original bart plan was going to do it, and that's partially why they chose a retarded track gauge. Too bad they backed out.
>>
My city has horrible bus routes, but a stupid prop 13 requirement ensured that a transportation plan could not get 2/3 vote. Had it been a majority it would have passed.
>>
>>1055107
Originally the people mover was going to go to Millbrae, and there wasn't going to be a BART direct to the airport, but that got shot down by local politicians who wanted a direct to airport BART from the city.

Now it's like a ridiculous pain in the ass to get from caltrain to the airport.

Then again until HSR rolled up with the blended corridor I think everyone in the bay area thought caltrain was eventually going to be converted to BART, so I guess one can understand why someone would make a political division to give caltrain short shrift in 2004 or whenever the extension was built.
>>
>>1055107
The gauge has nothing to do with the fact that BART never built out a region-wide system like that. The ONLY reason they didn't is because multiple counties refused to participate at the time.
>>
>>1055261
Caltrain shouldn't be converted to BART technology/rolling stock because that'd be totally pointless. It should be absorbed by BART and not run as a separate business entity though.
>>
>>1055264
What is interoperability with other railways

What is eBART
>>
>>1055474
BART was never designed to be interoperable with other railways. What fucking world are you living in where it was? And eBART is only a temporary measure because the infrastructure is cheaper to build than regular BART. The short corridor that it will run on has been explicitly designed to be converted to third rail when funding becomes available.

Nothing you said is relevant at all.
>>
>>1055474
What does any of that have to do with BART not being region-wide from the start? Oh right, nothing.
>>
>>1055475
>BART was never designed to be interoperable with other railways.
Have you ever considered that things would be different if it was? Yes I know BART tracks are intentionally made incompatible with normal trains, but it was also a fucking stupid idea.

>And eBART is only a temporary measure because the infrastructure is cheaper to build than regular BART.
eBART basically proves that "normal" bart is stupidly expensive compared to conventional railway, and also shows that counties are willing to pay up when it's not so stupidly expensive.

> explicitly designed to be converted to third rail when funding becomes available.
never

>>1055476
San Mateo had good reason not to want to pay for a redundant set of tracks down the peninsula at bart blowout prices.

Maybe if BART originally just absorbed the existing tracks like >>1055265 says , and used the money to pay for grade separation and electrification, then the county might not have noped out of the plan so fast.
>>
Guys, would you mind taking the BART discussion to another thread? IT's getting slightly offtopic for this one.
>>
>>1054633
>>1054690
I actually tried to make one of these maps in QGIS, but I just cannot make the loops right.
>>
File: lnetz_j10.png (3MB, 3423x2455px) Image search: [Google]
lnetz_j10.png
3MB, 3423x2455px
I will post some fantasy maps from Karlsruhe.

With an underground tram tunnel being constructed below the central pedestrian zone, there have been many ideas and fantasy maps on how to reorganize the tram network over the last years.

Starting off the with original map that has been used until the construction works started 2010.

It offered a direct connection into the city from pretty much every branch, especially note lines 3 and 4 which formed a loop through the southern city.

It had its problems though. several stops had 42 to 46 trams/hour. The central junction at the market square, entirely in a pedestrian zone, saw around 108 trams/hour in all directions. All the trams were blocking themselves at the stops, schedules were unreliable as fuck.
Some of these were tram-trains, 75 m long and highfloor and having to walk around these in a pedestrian zone while they wait for the stop to clear is certainly an annoyance.
>>
File: l0schi_2016xdr7d.png (975KB, 1280x905px) Image search: [Google]
l0schi_2016xdr7d.png
975KB, 1280x905px
This is a fantasy map similar to the pre-construction map, but also including new projects done after 2010.
Namely a new tram line in the south-east (6), the electrification of lines S51/52 and S33 and the renaming of the southern tram-trains to S7/8.

This map has and never will be in actual use, since over the past years many central sections were closed one after the other in order to build the tunnel (mostly the stations, which were built open-cut).
>>
File: Liniennetz_Endzustand (mitfall).png (261KB, 1171x740px) Image search: [Google]
Liniennetz_Endzustand (mitfall).png
261KB, 1171x740px
This is the official line scheme for when the tunnel is finished.

Note that all lines in the central pedestrian zone are underground (dashed) and a new surface line will be build at the southern end of the inner city (lines 6/7).

However there will be less trams overall in the city, as the tunnel doesn't have the same capacity as a surface line.
The mentioned 3/4 loop will be broken up, meaning the southern city will have worse access to the inner city.
Instead, a 6/7 loop will run on the newly built surface line (though line 7 is set to only run during peak hours). Also the junctions of this loop will be away from the main east-west line in the tunnel. E.g. going from the western suburbs to the ZKM line will then require two interchanges at Europaplatz at Karlstor, which are just one station apart.
Lines 4 and S2 from the east are going to be rerouted to get to the tunnel ramp, eating up any time advantage a fast tunnel line might give.
>>
This is my own fantasy map on how to set up the network using the tunnel. Underground lines are hollow, thin lines are peak services.

It would not need the new surface line and instead keep the old exisiting line through the pedestrian zone, which will only be used by 18 trams/hour, which in my opinion is not a problem to have in a pedestrian zone. Also especially the long and highfloor tram-trains would run underground.

By doing so, the 3/4 loop can be kept. Only line 5 will lose their direct connection to the inner city and instead become a fully tangential line.

Other ideas are to split up and extend the ends of line 5 in order to relieve the S2 line and a new tangential line 7 to relieve the S1.
>>
File: netz-ohne-kombi.png (1MB, 2384x1668px) Image search: [Google]
netz-ohne-kombi.png
1MB, 2384x1668px
This is an old map I drew before the tunnel works started, which is why it doesn't include the new south-eastern tram. It can work without any new tunnel or surface lines.

I especially aimed at the high traffic sections on the old, pre-construction map, namely Mühlburger Tor-Europaplatz and Market-Kronenplatz.
By removing some lines from there (but not much more than the official tunnel line scheme), every stop can be brought down to 36 trams/hour or less, which would relieve the tram-traffic-jams.
>>
File: Bi_aut_WIP.jpg (813KB, 999x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Bi_aut_WIP.jpg
813KB, 999x1500px
Currently working on this. Rail lines are done, even though I'm not yet completely happy with them. Bus lines in grayish-blue are in the works.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.