[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can you guys tell me anything about this bike? worth anything?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_1539.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1539.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
can you guys tell me anything about this bike?

worth anything?

i'm a gun guy, not a bike guy
>>
File: IMG_1540.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1540.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>
>>1048686 (OP)
>>1048687
It's a late 60's, early 1970's department store bike. It doesn't have much resale value, maybe $50-100 tops because it's a generic, low-end object without any 'collectible' status, nor is a desirable bike from a sporting perspective.

But on the bright side, it's an extremely valuable commodity in a different sense: it's an extremely inexpensive and reliable mode of transportation. Replace the tires, brake pads, and cables as necessary and put clean grease on the bearings every few years and you've got a great little machine that will get you to work or to the grocery store everyday, and cost you maybe $100 to keep in good working condition for 5+ years.
>>
File: 1466537641755.png (34KB, 196x197px) Image search: [Google]
1466537641755.png
34KB, 196x197px
>>1048693
>>1048686
Oh hey, it's a Steyr-Puchs bike from Sears. A Free Spirit, I think was the brand name. Of the non-Raleigh built 3-speeds, those were the best of the bunch. Better than the Schwinns and Huffies of the same era, and definitely better than every other department store bike of the time. It's worth a little more than the average old 3-speed, maybe $120-$150 in pristine condition, because of its Austrian heritage.

But as the other anon said, that's a really good mode of transportation. It's made of high-quality Austrian steel, so it will hold up really well. It's also got a 3-speed internal hub, so it's literally perfect for tooling around town. An internal hub means the shifting gears are on the inside of the hub, so they're protected from the elements and thus much more reliable. You can also shift gears while standing still, which makes it uniquely suited for traffic.

All in all, real good find, anon. It's a good way to get /fit/ without spending shitloads of money on gas, it's a really reliable bike, and it even gives you a certain "pedigree" in the English 3-speed circles. 10/10 bike, I hope you keep it and ride it for many years and miles.
>>
>>1048697
>It's a good way to get /fit/ without spending shitloads of money on gas

I meant "good way to get /fit/ and get around without spending", my bad.
>>
Actually, wait. I might be retarded. Could you take a picture of the other side of the bike? Specifically near the rear wheel? It might be a single-speed with a coaster brake instead.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1048703
there's no shifter. that's a brake cable
>>
File: f&a5[1].gif (5KB, 405x261px) Image search: [Google]
f&a5[1].gif
5KB, 405x261px
>>1048709
Nope, that's a 3-speed hub! See the chain part that's connected to the cable and goes inside the hub? That's the indicator spindle. How far out that's pulled sets what gear the hub is in. Follow that cable up and it should lead to a little trigger switch with three positions.

It just also has a coaster brake.
>>
Worth money? Fuck no.
Worth anything? Can be a great means of transportation, might need a bit of work though.
>>
>>1048709
>>1048686
Okay yeah. I see what the deal is now. It only has actual caliper brakes for the front wheel; it has a coaster brake for the rear wheel (you pedal backwards and that makes the wheel lock up). The thing on the righthand side of the handlebars should be the shifter.

So yeah, once again. Really nice mode of transportation, OP. Modern department store bikes wish they could be as reliable as that one.
>>
>>1048709
Dude that is a internal hub. Are you so retarded you blatantly post things you know you know nothing about
>>
>>1048730
>i'm a gun guy not a bike guy

Let's be real, here. Most people who don't ride don't know internal hubs are a thing. They think that derailleurs are the only way to have more than one gear on a bike because of how ubiquitous they are.
>>
>>1048730
He doesn't know much about bikes which is exactly why he's here asking questions you stupid fucking cunt. He might lack knowledge about bikes but you lack basic fucking competence. Now fuck off.

OP, the dumb faggot is right that it's an IGH (internally geared hub) not a brake, but not many people would have known that, he's just being a candy-ass.
>>
>>1048686
IIRC the (Sachs?) 3-speed hub was a licensed copy of the Sturmey-Archer design. If it doesn't have a shifter, well, it should.
>>
>>1048738
>which is exactly why he's here asking questions
>that's a brake cable
>>
File: s-l225.jpg (126KB, 826x467px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
126KB, 826x467px
>>1048709
Looks like a Torpedo three speed hub (later bought up by Sram). The "arm" that connects to the chainstay (lower tube on the left side) should have some writing, the hub as well. So have a look to make sure.
These hubs are really solid and reliable.

I don't see a shifter on your bars. So if its a Torpedo hub, the Sram T3 shifter will work for you. They come in trigger form and gripshift form. See pic related.
Ask your local dealer to get the right one for you if you are not sure.
>>
>>1048932
Fichtel & Sachs introduced their first three speed hub in 1924, S&A in 1936. I doubt this later model was a copy since F&S were among the pioneers in gear hubs and had their own designs.
>>
>>1048738
Roody Poo
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.