[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

train hopping for fun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 13

File: iwanttodothisagain.jpg (46KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
iwanttodothisagain.jpg
46KB, 500x375px
I did it once and it was amazing, best ride ever

and then i found out you can get in trouble for it?
I still wanna do it some more :)
i mean as long as none of this shit can keep me from getting a job, its w/e to me
yeah, anyone train hop? thoughts?
>>
We've had threads on this in the past... according to everything I've read, riding a freight train still has a certain romantic appeal, but the lengths, car design, and speed of modern freight trains make it increasingly likely that you'll be maimed or killed if you try it.
>>
File: train6.jpg (290KB, 1514x912px) Image search: [Google]
train6.jpg
290KB, 1514x912px
train pix
>>
File: train2.jpg (97KB, 600x401px) Image search: [Google]
train2.jpg
97KB, 600x401px
moar train pix
>>
File: train3.jpg (767KB, 2000x1559px) Image search: [Google]
train3.jpg
767KB, 2000x1559px
>but the lengths, car design, and speed of modern freight trains make it increasingly likely that you'll be maimed or killed
pls explain?
i rode on one like in op, nice safe deep well to sit in
>>
File: train4.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
train4.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>
File: train5.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
train5.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>>
bump, how do you foamers feel about dirtykid hobo train hoppers?
>>
>>1048002
While I wouldnt do it, I enjoy reading about his travels & experiences.
>>
I wouldn't do it for two main reasons. The first is the risk of derailment, which with the design of freight would be death. Second is getting electrocuted by the overhead wires or 3rd rail. The overhead wires fall down often and I wouldn't want to be sitting on a freight car when this happens as it would mean a painful death.
>>
>>1048016
Where do you live that overhead wires would be a concern while riding a freight train?
>>
>>1048018
Anywhere in Europe & Asia?
>>
how often was freight delrailment happen? and what about sitting in a 54ft double stack car with a 40ft container in it and a complete floor. i did that. it was nice
>>
>>1048013

Same here, Dirtykid is a cool guy but I don't really think that even he would recommend his lifestyle. It's basically mobile homelessness and apart from just the danger of using the railways like that there are a lot of shady types that you may encounter.

Much better to live a more conventional lifestyle and enjoy riding the railway as a normal passenger in your free time I reckon.
>>
Stupid as fuck. Way too many risks for no benefit. You can easily end up stranded in a very remote area, get injured by heavy equipment, and even arrested.

Just take Amtrak if you want to see the country by rail.
>>
Waaaaaaaay too dangerous folks.. not to mention the shock you might put your body into due to the amount of rattling and no suspension.

I ride major commuter train to work daily.
>>
rich white girl hobby
>>
>>1048346
>Much better to live a more conventional lifestyle and enjoy riding the railway as a normal passenger in your free time I reckon.
conventional lifestyle = 8hours working a day, and after 8 hours sleeping and 4+ hours commuting/cooking/errands, that leaves a mere few hours a day to play. you dont have to be a dirty kid to be a kid, but you do have to steal, dig in a dumpster, beg or rely on the government for your next meal

and fuck riding amtrack sitting in your seat across from an old lady and her 7 grandkids while looking at only one side of the scenery through a scratched up, fuzzy window, fuck that
>>
so how the fuck is it dangerous if your riding in a gondola or a intermodal stack mobile. and the intermodals dont stop in the middle of nowhere

how often is a train train really passing far from a freeway?
>>
>>1048442
Lots of times. You can get left pretty far off for a while in freezing weather or extreme heat with no cell service.
>>
>>1048018
Diesel can run under the wires.
Trainsurfing a fun dream but in reality you will be asking yourself why you were so stupid to actually do it as you pass out because the train stopped at a signal for a few hours in a long tunnel.
Yes it seems cool, yes it seems alternative, yes it seems fun. But in reality it's dangerous as hell and will get you injured or killed.
>>
File: incredulous-look-sm.jpg (18KB, 784x571px) Image search: [Google]
incredulous-look-sm.jpg
18KB, 784x571px
>>1048050
>He doesn't live in the northwest hemisphere
>>
>>1048456
>Lots of times. You can get left pretty far off for a while in freezing weather or extreme heat with no cell service.
yeah, when me and my buddy went from SF to NY, we got off at SLC after 24 hours to get situated again, well turns out the upcoming mountain pass was wet and freezing, all we had was a tarp over us and the cardboard we were laying on :p

gps works even when you have no cell service. oh man, that would suck to get stuck in a long tunnel full of carbon monoxide. has that ever happened to anyone?

still seems worth the risk
>>
from what ive gathered most injuries and deaths are from people being way too high/drunk and fucking up or just overdosing once theyre on the train

and i kinda learned about slack and knuckles and shit when playing on old IM's and coal trains as a kid. there was a layup right next to the bike jumps i spent countless hours at as a kid
>>
would pay some hobo alot of cash to take me on one of these across america. would love to do this
>>
Hey guys, new to /n/ but I wanted to actually hop a train and go on one of those so-called "adventures" in which I ride around southern USA, but I have no clue how to go about it. I live in NY, can someone help me out?
>>
>>1048519
>>1048739
buy a pack of ciggarettes and a fifth (or handle) and find one or two (or a group) of those dirty kids on the sidewalk with patched up clothes and beggging for dollars. they are sure to be dirty kid travelers. yeah, offer them a cigarette, smoke it with them ask about if they travel a lot. if they are interesting, offer up some booze then drink with them for like 6 hours and if you feel comfortable with them and they dont immediatly pull out a bunch of sketchy red flags then ask if you can come with them wherever they go next.
>>
Rode for years. All over this fuckin country, coast to coast. Had friends die riding empty coal all the way into the facility and getting a ton loaded on them while they slept. FRiends died from not spiking to door of box cars. Friends lose legs and arms.
Not for the faint of heart. Would tell anyone with a home to stay there. I retired this year.
The dangers are numerous, but at the end of the day, there's something about blowing through the nowheres where no car will ever take you. Star filled nights cruising in the cool evening air through the carolinas, sipping a beer on a grainer porch and recognizing old familiar routes.
The life is hard. You live outside, addiction and alcoholism are common, robbery, all sorts of miscreants. The girls never shave their armpits.
But the reward is a freedom most folks don't know and couldnt handle. You spend sometime in jail, you panhandle, you drink yourself mad.
Stay home, foamers. The trains may belong to uncle pete, but the rails belong to the riders.
>>
>>1048950
Pic fuckin related
>>
>>1048951
>>1048950
>>
>>1048950
kys you pretentious faggot
>>
>>1048950
Well, as long as you're happy :)
>>
>>1048016
>derailment
If you're fat enough to cause a train to derail you should lose some weight.

>The overhead wires fall down often
No they don't.
>>
File: my_office.jpg (694KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
my_office.jpg
694KB, 2048x1152px
>>1048950
>Implying I don't run the rails.
I make it a point to get every dirty kid arrested on my trains. I offer them some water, food, all after I've called the police.
>>
>>1048981
why are you hating on kids trying to get a free ride?
>>
>>1049035
>Had friends die riding empty coal all the way into the facility and getting a ton loaded on them while they slept. FRiends died from not spiking to door of box cars. Friends lose legs and arms.

L I A B I L I T Y
I
A
B
L
E
>>
>>1049035
Shack of Emperor of the North.
>>
File: 1487137509168.jpg (90KB, 630x583px) Image search: [Google]
1487137509168.jpg
90KB, 630x583px
>>1048950
>>1048951
>>1048952
There you go, 3rd times a charm.
>>
>>1048439

Are you shitting on me for having a job lad? Is this /r9k/?

Like many people who are into trains I work for the railways, if I want to travel I have my rail pass, priv, FIP card etc. Like I said I think DirtyKid from 1chan is a cool guy, as a person always friendly and respectful to fellow railfans and I think of him in a reciprocal fashion. I wouldn't recommend that kind of lifestyle because I work for the railways and I'm always mindful of how dangerous it can be, even with all the safety procedures and training we go through, railway workers are killed and severely injured all the time. All I'd recommend is that if you want to travel the railways do it in the safest and most legal way, that is all.
>>
>>1048981
Why the fuck are the crossings not down in that Picture?
>>
>>1049641
>he's right
holy shit
>>
trains pay when hippies die
>>
>>1048016
Overhead wires fall down often? Derailment? What kind of shit tier trains are you talking about?
>>
>>1049641
>no motion blur

Maybe because the train is just sitting there waiting for clearance or a meet.
>>
>>1047524
>train hopping for fun

That's not fun.
>>
>>1048950
Whatever you say, Jack Kerowhack
>>
How the fuck do you get back home if you hop on a train so far. A shortline or something is understandable, but a trip to another state seems like an expensive uber ride home.
>>
>>1049729
Overhead wires come down for lots of reasons, including the pantograph getting stuck on the side then bringing them down. Storms and trees can also cause the wires to come down.
>>
Not a glamarous way to travell but a VERY cheap one at that
>>
I've met a lot of crusties and hobos, usually thumbing a ride away from a switching station that's too well guarded. It's usually only done successfully for more than a week by someone with tens of thousands of dollars to blow on bail and drugs. Sitting in a box for 6 days without a shitter or electricity isn't for the sober or financially unstable.

>>1048365
>no suspension
The hundreds of bolsters I've hauled must have just been for A E S T H E T I C S then.
>>
File: Railroad_truck,FM55-20.Fig8-8.png (18KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
Railroad_truck,FM55-20.Fig8-8.png
18KB, 512x384px
>>1054984
>forgot pic
>>
I live in Alberta and I know for a fact many people do it here.
>>
>>1053058
it is real fun
>>
>>1054984
Your post seems misinformed. Only the lowest IQ oogle would hop a train drunk, and there's no point in making bail on a trespassing charge cause they won't hold you for more than a weekend anyway. It's impossible to get trapped on a train for 6 days unless you get on the fabled rail barge or get locked in a boxcar which requires you to be a complete moron, because trains stop to change crews every 12 hours and they generally do so near to civilization.
>>
File: boong.png (1MB, 950x712px) Image search: [Google]
boong.png
1MB, 950x712px
A funny meme for Myrkur!
She gone from mainstream pop to Trve Kvlt Black MEtal!
>>
Yep she is a boong with an IQ of 49. It has been reported that the average boong scores much higher than that.
>>
File: 3 rolf moon.jpg (26KB, 450x437px) Image search: [Google]
3 rolf moon.jpg
26KB, 450x437px
>>1049707
>trains pay when hippies die
this
>>
>>1048950
Fuck you faggot. Worst time of year for me is when all those hobo gutter punks come to town here for the gem show. Bunch of drug addicts and thieves that are too socially retarded to function as even local bums.
>>
>>1056129
What kind of gem show draws gutter punks to town?
>>
>>1056180
I guess he's gonna take that one to his grave.
>>
>>1056180
The S P I R I T U A L ones. Never met so many numerologists in my life.
>>
Dirty hobos all of them, hope they all get electrocuted by a wire

Fuck no, that'd stink, I'd rather have them fall off in the middle of the desert
>>
>>1056129
ahh, hello Tucson.
>>
Hobos do this because they're poor and care free, crust punks do it for their image.

https://youtu.be/xQykhh2JXtc
>>
rich kids on holiday taking resources from legitimately down-and--out indigent persons.

they should all suffocate in an appalachian mountain tunnel.
>>
>>1057176
What resources? Seats on a freight train?
>>
>>1048016
What the fuck. I have heard off wires coming down with out trees or derailnents. Also most derailnents are yard based and at slower speeds. Crossing accidents could happen anywhere, anytime, but rarely dies it end up in death! Dickhead
>>
>>1057249
Not that anon, I believe he means local resources that deal with the homeless. Shelters, kitchens, clinics and whatnot.
>>
>>1057321
this is exactly what i meant, thank you.
>>
This thread has attracted opinions of pure idiots.
The railways are dangerous.
Overhead lines do fall down.
Trains do derail.
Tunnels do fill with carbon monoxide.
You can fall off.
Trains can be left in the middle of nowhere.
You can wake up to 10 tons of aggregate being pured over you.

The above have all killed people multiple times on the rail network. It's dangerous enough with loads of training and safety equipment. Without that, you do not know the railway well enough to be safe. So stay the fuck away from it unless you want to upset your family, rail workers, and paramedics by ending up as mincemeat distributed across 3 miles of ballast.
>>
>>1057849
People get run over crossing the street more often then they get killed by all train accidents combined. I think the real takeaway from all this should be "don't be stupid or intoxicated when doing something that could get you hurt" not "avoid at all costs because there's moderate risks involved".
>>
>>1047524
Rail worker here.

If we or the bulls catch you , you will be charged with a federal felony.
>>
>>1060534
People cross the street much more often than they trainhop.
>>
>>1057849
A-fucking-men.
>>
>>1060962
I've been caught by workers a handful of times, and you are always unfailingly polite and helpful.
>>
>>1061000
You must have been sober.

They never are at our yard. We also dont take kindly because we are a major grain terminal.

Nothing like killing a hopper with a few tonns of corn or soy.
>>
>>1061641
I have never been caught at a major oogle tourist destination, now that I think of it. Im sure throwing dumb drunks out of your workplace all day would wear on a person.
>>
>>1048950
kinda cried reading that
>>
>>1047524
bump
>>
>>1048439
Your own fault for riding in coach with the rest of the trash.
>>
>>1048953
>rides trains and tells how dangerous they are
>lived hobo lifestyle
>pretentious

4chan is for users of 18 and up, bud.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.