[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>have an electrified high-speed rail line connecting chicago

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

>have an electrified high-speed rail line connecting chicago & milwaukee that consists mostly of private, double-tracked right-of-way
>let the company fail and sell it all for scrap money
>50 years later, Amtrak & Metra dodge freight trains over 2 separate lines to provide the same rail coverage at a fraction of the frequency and speed
>>
>>1046652
and yet your electric train set is still a bike trail.

there's a reason for that. find the electric trains. find state-run trains.

public trans doesn't work without huge government subsidies. there's not much money to be made carting around broke-ass losers like yourself.
>>
>>1046668
But if people had been able to stomach the idea of government-subsidized rail a decade earlier, we could have had a single, dedicated rail line for Chicago-Milwaukee service, instead of subsidizing both the UP North Line and the Hiawatha to serve the same market.
>>
File: milw1.png (1B, 486x500px)
milw1.png
1B, 486x500px
>>1046652
Thanks for the post, OP. Really made me think.

Now take the MILWpill. The de-electrification and abandonment of the Milwaukee Road's pacific extension will go down as one of the most heinous corporate conspiracies in American history.
>>
>>1046652
No long range planning.
Because politicians only think about the duration of their tenure;
Because the general public only cares about the Now situation, or at most the term of an average mortgage.

As you and I can see, future generations be damned. We still collectively think like this today. We dont want to pay for something now that the future generations will enjoy. Hooray for the walmart generation.
>>
>>1046652
>Implying that the government should be in the business of running railroads and bailing out failing corporations.
Nope.
>>
>>1046979
The government has always been in the railroad business and it should remain so.
>>
>>1046692
Your Milwaukee Road spent the '50s and '60s whoring itself out for mergers that never happened and let itself fall into disrepair, not just physically, but corporately and spiritually.

The North Shore Line fought the good fight up until the end. Their mechanical shops were still modernizing cars the night it was abandoned.
>>
>>1046692
Running those bi-polars was not cheap. They couldn't run steamers because of the rough country. Didn't help that Milwaukee Road was hood rich. Not like Rock Island which was ghetto.
>>
>>1046674
You're right. We shouldn't subsidize either.
>>
>>1050477
On the contrary, we should subsidize both more.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.