[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/upg/ - Urban Planning General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 75

File: REM-outline.png (1B, 486x500px)
REM-outline.png
1B, 486x500px
Réseau électrique métropolitain edition

Previous thread: >>1027243
>>
File: a-40-station.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
a-40-station.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1041128
http://www.cat-bus.com/ offers all the basic information about the REM project to bring you up to speed. Notice how he takes a complete 180 from his initial stance after further analyzing the project.
>>
File: Trump1[1].jpg (1B, 486x500px)
Trump1[1].jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1041128
what does his victory mean for /upg/ and /n/ in general?
>>
>>1041135
My city is trying to get the public easement for a major street in one of the outer boroughs from the state for a few months now. The city wants to reduce it from four to two lanes in order to build a light rail line there, but the negotiations are dragging on.
>>
>>1041161
>>1041135
Sorry, did not mean to reply to your post with that. I meant to reply with
O B S E S S E D
B
S
E
S
S
E
D
>>
>>1041135
Unknown, but high levels of corruption are likely. Goldman Sachs is purportedly interested in converting some of the freeways in LA like the 405 into toll roads and it appears that Trump will give it to them.
>>
>>1041164
Well that should reduce sprawl a bit.
>>
>>1041188
Being from LA metro area, people are going to be pissed, but they don't understand that forcing them off their cars will help them in the end.
>>
>>1041189
Not if there's no alternative. If there's no effective transit (and zoning doesn't change up to allow transit to be effective), then it'll just clog the surface roads even worse or constitute an extra tax on commuters.
>>
>>1041217
Well it's assumed they'd do this at the same time. Otherwise there would be no point.
>>
>>1041221
This isn't an honest attempt at improving the city, it's a corrupt cash grab. You can't assume anything like that.
>>
>>1041217
Wouldn't that coerce them to move closer to the city?
>>
>>1041225
If they could afford to live closer to the city they would.
>>
>>1041228
If the demand increases, shouldn't the supply be forced to do so as well?
>>
>>1041224
>This isn't an honest attempt at improving the city, it's a corrupt cash grab. You can't assume anything like that.

This from a city that still has The Scarborough Rapid Transit?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_3_Scarborough
>>
>>1041230
Not an argument
>>
Planned 영동대로 Youngdongdaero in Seoul
>>
>Kansas City region just created a unified public transport authority, with plans for busroute expansion
>Streetcar is expanding a mile at a time
It's not really good, but it's something

>>1041229
Yes, probably, but that doesn't mean it will be adequate

It's LAs own fault for being car-centric
>>
>>1041283
This is never going to actually happen.

GTX will never be built nor will KTX extension to COEX.
>>
>>1041229
Demand is already sky-high and supply is behind by half a million units. Even if zoning went away tomorrow, it would take 10 years for supply to catch up and longer for prices to drop back into a reasonable level without causing a major economic crisis.
>>
File: 307555.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
307555.jpg
1B, 486x500px
A short extension of Tvärbanan in Stockholm, to meet Saltsjöbanan. To be taken into service this autumn after the swap from Bombardier to GE signaling which will take half a year.

Also drawn on a map http://kartor.eniro.se/m/lG888
>>
File: roof extension.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
roof extension.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Opinions on roof extensions, in general?
>>
>>1042247
I like them because I have a knack for old and new architecture intertwining. I has a high potential for looking like absolute shit though, if done wrong.
>>
>>1042247
I fancy the idea of expanding buildings upwards, by building on and over them.
It also looks awesome, leaving classical original building, and giving it a modern touch on top, just as if building evolved, from when the bottom floor were built, to the top one being finished.

We need more cities expanding vertically, instead of horizontally. It creates interesting challenges in making (sun)light reaching street level.
>>
>>1042301
This exactly. I agree they have the potential for looking meh if done incorrectly, but any construction that's going up instead of out is a good idea.

Can be shitty if the architect gets too up their own ass and doesn't make any section of the addition actually useful, just all show and flash. Any new development that Joe Chump on city council can't immediately see the value in is going to count against further nontraditional development.
>>
>>1042247
I don't understand, if the roof was already flat, why didn't they try and put a tapered roof in the same style like the building to the right

However, I love modern architecture so I can't object to more, even if it does clash a bit with the original architecture. Someone on the street probably wouldn't notice anyways.
>>
>>1041164
That might actually be a good thing. Maybe people would start looking at transit. It's time for cagers to pay the true price of using highways.

>>1041189
Even better, fuck Commiefornia, its people, and its politics. Let them continue to rage.
>>
>>1041229
in like 99% of cases increased demand means higher prices in at least the short-medium term
>>
>>1042392
but going out is usually more economical?
>>
>>1041229
property developer like to enjoy premium instead of meeting supply
>>
Tramway construction greenlighted in Lund, Sweden. Construction begins in february.

https://www.sydsvenskan.se/2017-01-18/sparvagen-borjar-byggas-i-februari
http://www.sparvaglund.se/

This bodes well for the other light rail projects in Scania.
>>
>>1041130
What could be done to train station designs to save me up from walking all these fucking stairs all the time holy fuck I hate this so god damn much.
>>
>>1042660
1. Install more escalator, 2. level crossing
>>
>>1042660
Is some escalators or elevators so hard?
>>
>>1042663
>2. level crossing
How?
>>1042664
I don't use elevators out of principle.
>>
>>1042526
Nice! But why does Lund get a tram while Malmö still has those stupid cosplaying buses?
>>
>>1042667
escalators are just running over there, what sort of principle make ypu not wanting to use them?
>>
>>1042667
like this?
>>
>>1042667
>>1042663
Enjoy your level crossing over heavy rail.
>>
>>1042419
Enjoy the raping Trump is about to give you and your """moral conservative""" friends. Who are you going to blame when shit hits the fan? Should be interesting how he will try to pin responsibility to someone else when we find out the truth.
>>
>>1042746
They're pretty common across the world I suppose?
>>
>>1042247
in general i love them. (if done properly)
also: yey, my home town! (and near to the university i attended)
>>
>>1042786
Stations are usually leveled, and are quite high, compared to the bedrail level. On busy stations with many tracks they are also a big no-no. Trains can arrive and depart as regularly, as every ten minutes per track.

>>1042660
Sometimes you can't avoid this, because tracks can be on two levels, with one level going North-South, and the other one being East-West.
>>
>>1042419
Just don't expect, that public transit will become popular in LA anytime soon. LA's population density doesn't really support high-capacity (and therefore frequent and fast) public transit.
>>
>>1042796
how? the population density is only slightly less than beijing and beijing have like twenty or thirty metro lines when all current projects are completed and all opened lines are constantly overcapacity
>>
>>1042795
Of course it is not something for busy station but it's worth considering if you only have like 10 trains per hour. The photo I have attached above show the elevated platform there.
>>
>>1042798
desu, you can't compare la and beijing.
la: large (quite dense) "suburbs" - actually the whole city
beijing: dense "core" (a very large one) and rural areas

beijing has an extensive highway system, which is congested as well. so there is a lot more to be considered. i really wouldn't compare la and beijing.
>>
>>1042797
read: >>1042799
>>
>>1042799
>LA core
>8100 ppl/ sq. miles
>3164 ppl/ sq. km
About the same as the city center part of Shantou which have already planned to build 9 rail lines with the first to start construction this year?
>>
>>1042820
* 9: 5 metro lines + 1 branch line + 3 regional lines
>>
>>1042820
Just look at google earth or maps. do you see the difference?
>>
>>1042830
LA is much larger which is the only natural thing given LA is likr ten times more populated than Shantou and similar population density, which can only help the development of mass transit.
>>
File: shantou.png (1B, 486x500px)
shantou.png
1B, 486x500px
>>1042834
no
la: large and evenly populated area.
shantou (and surroundings): numerous but smaller and more dense sub centres.

also: look at the shantou city center! 5 to 30-floor residential buildings. then look at la residential areas... 1 or 2 floors.
>>
>>1041161
since when does this exist? I call this anon's claims and his photo fake and gay
>>
Anyone know much about the growth and structure of cities program at Bryn Mawr. I'm looking to major in it next year and possibly apply for the 3/2 masters program with UPenn
>>
>>1041135
Probably not much, when he talks about "infrastructure" plans it mostly relates to national-scale projects, and most local projects have to get funding locally anyway.

That being said his infrastructure plan is pretty shit and wouldn't add much even if it was allowed to be applied locally.
>>
>>1042301
this is exactly correct
>>
>>1041128
I'm not looking forward to the disaster that will be this construction, if it ever actually starts at all.
>>
The REM is the sketchiest fucking plan that ever made it this far into the planning phase, and I say this coming from an American perspective. Just boggles my mind how a city can privatize away a crucial rail tunnel and its busiest commuter line so easily, any large transit agency here would be throwing a shitfit.

>>1042660
Convince the CDPQ to stop planning new lines in freeway medians and on railroad right-of-way instead.
>>
>>1042844
Those subcenters are not shantou....
>>
File: rem.png (1B, 486x500px)
rem.png
1B, 486x500px
>>1042910
>>1042939
Fuck REM. Its a mob project and its using the worst possible ROW for the west island.

Here's a transit map I made for an alternative to the REM. It only uses existing rail ROW and would require electrification, double tracking and purchasing of more rolling stock. It would keep the existing technology the AMT uses, including all of its rolling stock currently in use on the Deux-Montagnes line. With these alignments, feeder bus routes can effectively link most of the suburbs to downtown montreal within 1 hour.

Thin green: 2 trains ph (6 rush)
Thick green: 4 trains ph (12 rush)
Red: 4 train ph (12 rush) (2 and 6 trains respectively terminate at the airport)

All the other lines are the montreal metro
>>
>>1042939
>Just boggles my mind how a city can privatize away a crucial rail tunnel and its busiest commuter line so easily, any large transit agency here would be throwing a shitfit.

They're gutting the AMT and creating a new organization. Im sure there was resistance.
>>
File: montreal1.png (1B, 486x500px)
montreal1.png
1B, 486x500px
>>1042950
network as of 2017. thin black lines are commuter rail with a focus on service at peak hours in peak direction
>>
File: 15ar8k.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
15ar8k.jpg
1B, 486x500px
I have an interview to be a transit planning intern next week lads. Excited and really nervous.
>>
>>1043067
>Mineapolis
low tier
>>
File: img048.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
img048.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1043106
Not Minneapolis, it's in Saint Paul. :^)
>>
>>1042725
Escalators are good too.

>>1042727
>>1042746
Yeah, but look here >>1041130, the tracks are, like, 3 metres deep.

Also, I am not against stairs or whatever, just that, coming from ground level, then down and then up again is fucking BS and I always feel like the train is going to leave without me (which makes me speed up, sweat and sit there like a wet moron).

>>1042795
Double level stations are excused out of my complaining, I guess.
That being said, I thought up a "rotund" station design that would be able to accommodate 4 trains going up 4 directions on one level, but other than that, it was a retarded idea for slow moving stations.

>>1042939
Not entirely sure I follow.
Cheers.
>>
>>1041135
privatization, minimal federal funding for transit and stopping the efforts for decent commuting.

National-populism 2: The rurals strike back
>>
>>1042247
Depends, here in portugal most of them happen to be shit (mixing beautiful 19th-early 20th century houses with shitty blocks).
>>
>>1042954
>>
File: row.png (1B, 486x500px)
row.png
1B, 486x500px
>>1043457
ah yes the mascouche line

>cost $670 million to open (2.2x over budget)
>supposed to open 2008, opened 2014
>8 trains per direction per day
>5,000 daily passengers

pic related, look at the route it follows. The stations themselves are park and rides but they literally spent hundreds of millions of dollars diverting the track so that the cagers could be a couple of kilometres closer to their station.
>>
File: larger[1].jpg (1B, 486x500px)
larger[1].jpg
1B, 486x500px
Another railyard air-rights development going out to bid in NY, this time in LIC. It's a small set of approach tracks to the much larger Sunnyside Yards, which are anticipated to be decked over in the future.

http://www.nycedc.com/opportunity/11-24-jackson-avenue
>>
>>1042954
>the Mascouche line
I would rather die than be reminded of its existence, thanks.
>>
>>1043496
>>1043684
Kek, I didn't even know. I only spent 10000 hours in MS paint to make that picture because I thought its shape was really odd.
>>
>>1043671
There's talk of doing this in Toronto too.
>>
>>1042247
cool if they don't use shitty architecture on top of a good looking building
>>
>>1041128

>TFW I live in the South-East portion of Montreal
>The new light rail transit system doesn't even reach close to me
>Still have to take a twenty minute bus ride to get to the metro and then take the metro downtown
>It's actually easier to take a taxi from the airport instead of the train because it actually goes away from where I live on its way to downtown

reeeee I want to be able to take the train as part of my commute reeeeee

Also, I was looking into moving to Ottawa after I finish my Master's degree... How's public transit there?
>>
>>1043786
Ottawa has a good bus system and a tiny train network called the O-train. Pretty standard stuff for a north american city. Also IDK what you expect living in brossard or longeuil or whatever, there's not enough density to justify rapid transit there
>>
>>1043922
Isn't Ottawa building a new rapid transit system or has that already been finished? I remember there being a lot of construction downtown when I visited my sister.
>>
File: O Train.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
O Train.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1044051
The Confederation Line (LRT) is currently under construction; it is expected to open next year.
>>
>>1044071
the cost effectiveness of the trillium line makes me wish the civil servants involved could consult for other cities and avoid disastrous and corrupt projects like REM that will screw the taxpayers out of billions of dollars
>>
>>1042463
yeah thanks to cities shouldering the infrastructure burden
>>
>>1043067
Good luck anon! : ^)
>>
>>1044141
Nigga the trillium line is only like 4 stops?
>>
Future site of the wall ($14 bn)
>>
>>1044146
Thanks! Just came back from it, I hope it went well. They sent me back with a writing summation assignment and a request for some GIS maps that I have made.

I have a couple already made but do any GIS folks have an ideas for interesting maps I could make over the weekend, preferably transit related?
>>
http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/01/elon-musk-wants-to-build-a-tunnel-under-los-angeles-to-avoid-traffic

Why does the genius billionaire think this is a good idea?
>>
>>1044372
wouldnt a helicopter shuttle be far cheaper?
>>
>>1044372
He's the same guy who promotes hyperhype
>>
File: small blimp.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
small blimp.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1044657
Or a blimp taxi
>>
File: lines.png (1B, 486x500px)
lines.png
1B, 486x500px
What is the point of making tram stops before intersections, not after them?

The advantage I see of making them after intersections is, that when you want to go into direction X, you wait at the stop going in the direction X, instead of having to find out from which direction the tram you want to board on will come from.

In the city I'm currently living in, it's made the other way, and already caused me a lot of headache to find the correct stop, from which nearest tram will depart from, especially on intersections with 4 directions (2 streets crossing each other) – making it three stops to check for departing trams.
>>
File: screenshot.png (1B, 486x500px)
screenshot.png
1B, 486x500px
>>1044883
A few decades ago, trams didn't have priority signals at intersections, but had their slots integrated in a fixed cycle together with slots for car traffic and crossing pedestrians.
For that, it was better to stop before and let the passengers board while waiting, rather stopping twice to wait for the signal and again for boarding after the intersection.
Today, given a political will for this, trams could reserve a slot before approching the intersection, run through unhindered and only stop for boarding after it.
Only on very busy intersection where the trams' reservations will block each other this could still be an issue.

For the same reason pre-sorting tracks still exist, like in map related for west/northbound. The intersection has priority signal now and there are never two trams waiting next to each other. The track layout will eventually be chanced to only two tracks (but with wider platforms, which would definitely a good thing), but those things take their time.
>>
>>1044883
Maybe if you have many cars waiting they won't block the intersection?
>>
100 years

Jasper Avenue, Edmonton. Canada
>>
>>1045913
>deadmonton
>relevant
>>
>>1045918
pretty impressive how it grew from what look likes armadillo in read dead redemption to a fully fledged metropolis in only 100 years
>>
>>1044372
I'm a newfag (to /n/). Can you explain to me why this is bad?
>>1044704
And this?
>>
>>1045936
Hyperloop is retarded, it requires special snowflake infrastructure and tries to compete with air travel, both make it useless.
>>
>>1045936
INDUCED DEMAND
N
D
U
C
E
D

D
E
M
A
N
D
>>
>>1045938
give me some good reasons why hyperloops wouldnt be perfect for certain heavily travelled train/air corridors like
beinjing>shanghai
seoul>busan
tokyo>osaka
nyc>washington DC
la>SF

etc.
>>
>>1045962
Because the real world proposed speeds are only on par with present day high speed rail but require vastly more complex infrastructure. That's why Hyperloop is fucking pointless.
>>
>>1045968
>real world proposed speeds are only on par with present day high speed rail
?
>>
>>1046032
The physics over any actually feasible route don't work for 600-750 mph operation.
>>
>>1045930
I think you can say that about most cities in Canada
>>
>>1046145
Not really, Montreal and Toronto are old
>>
>>1046146
Yes but they werent as big as they were now. Toronto had two great fires that destroyed the city
>>
>>1043448
>National-populism 2: The rurals strike back
Based.
>>
File: streetcar.gif (1B, 486x500px)
streetcar.gif
1B, 486x500px
>>1043067
Got the job. I'm so pumped! Can't wait to transform bus lanes back to single occupancy vehicle lanes, end bus signal preemption, recommend new transit ways be """"BRT""" than rail, increase parking minimums around transit, and all that other important transit planning stuff.
>>
>>1046823
I hope you are memeing
>>
>>1046823
k. keep us posted.
>>
>>1043448
Hey maybe he will suprise us but if he doesnt than this is why states rights are important
>>
>>1042247
I don't know what to think of this one in Bucharest.
>>
File: 1457899433001.jpg (468KB, 964x769px) Image search: [Google]
1457899433001.jpg
468KB, 964x769px
Just got accepted to a graduate program in Urban Planning.
>>
>>1047896
absolutely disgusting
>>
>>1047896
the saddest thing about this is it wasn't an accident. somebody actually sat down and designed that and then a bunch of managers approved it and hundreds of workers built it, and nobody ever though to themselves "holy shit, this is horrible"
>>
>>1047896
Where at. I'm currently getting my doctorate in planning
>>
>>1047943
University of Minnesota. What do you do with a doctorate in planning? Do you just become a highly educated planner or is there a more academia focused planning career field?
>>
>>1047896
that picture triggers me every time
>>
>>1047969

Teach. Write.
>>
>>1045962
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNFesa01llk

Goes into just some of the gazillions of issues with the BS that is hyperloop. There is a reason that us transport autists on /n/ seldom talk about it.
>>
>>1047902
>>1047906
>>1048004
Explain to me why this is an example of bad urban planning as if I were five years old.
>>
>>1048061
>sprawling suburbia
>have to reach end of block to walk to the next one out
>no grid pattern
>literally need a car to use it properly
>>
>>1048061
in addition to what previous anon said
>tract housing with no parks and no greenspace (unless you're a golf club member)
>strict segregation of housing types to make sure that rich people never have to see those dirty poor people who can only afford apartments
>all commercial activity limited to one concentrated area with a massive surface parking lot
>lack of grid pattern means essentially every trip in or around the neighborhood is going to involve the 2/3 major streets for maximum inefficiency
>residential streets have no trees and clear sight lines to encourage people to drive as fast as possible
>design and its consequences means that public transit, walking, and biking will never be practical or comfortable options here - all residents must drive cars for all trips
>>
>>1048061
what previous anons said is very true
the main issues are deeper than just the transportation issues though imo
>no individuality between houses/streets/neighborhoods
>no natural gathering spaces
>nothing to see
>nothing to do
>isolated from surrounding communities, no sense of connection to the city
>low density and spread means you probably don't know your neighbors

the whole area is just a dead zone for people to sleep in at night, there's no life here
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-02-12-21-18-46.png (442KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-02-12-21-18-46.png
442KB, 720x1280px
>>1048015
"Those who can't do, teach."
>>
>>1048285
that image is awfully stretched
>>
>>1048061
A similarly planned district in Taipei is nicknamed as maze
>>
>>1048343
so's your anus
>>
>>1046935
Looks like a globalist tumour
>>
>>1047969
waste money
>>
>>1048483
wow rude
>>
File: lund.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
lund.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>1042526
Construction was officially started today.
>>
File: metrokort.jpg (761KB, 2845x1601px) Image search: [Google]
metrokort.jpg
761KB, 2845x1601px
>>1049022
Good to see some more light rail development.

Metro Cityringen is about to open in Copehagen soon.
>>
>>1049022
I never learned a word of Swedish and I understood almost everything.
The planned route is on OSM already:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/336133716
I hope Malmö will follow suit soon.
>>
>>1047896
What schools are good for urban planning?
>>
>>1044372
He's autistic, please try to understand
>>
File: kb_nordhavnsloop.jpg (93KB, 705x290px) Image search: [Google]
kb_nordhavnsloop.jpg
93KB, 705x290px
>>1049222
what
>>
>>1049418
Helsingborg is closer at hand, but they went BRT "for now".

At least there'll be a traffic sanitizing and some zoning jobs done.

What I'd like would be Malmö-Lund interurban services over Lomma or Staffanstorp. Mostly for easy sharing of rolling stock without having to transport them on the crowded railroads.
>>
>>1044372
>Let's just start digging with no plan on where the tunnels will go, and why
>I'm sure I can make this cheaper, trust me I'm disruptive
>Totally going to get the permits right before they're legally necessary guys
Utter bullshit

But that part about making drilling cheaper, that I read in a bloomberg article, might actually be legitimately useful for making tunnel digging cheaper and faster. More subways, faster!
>>
>>1049593
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-02-16/elon-musk-is-really-boring

>He plans to use a machine like this to test improvements in tunneling technology. He thinks that with more power, better materials, and a design that allows it to continue digging while installing the tunnel walls—a feat that’s impossible today—the Boring Company will be able to drastically reduce the price of digging.

What the hell? How would continuous tunnel wall installation even work? The installation and boring process is about as coordinated as one could ever accomplish today, and installation is already a lot faster than boring to begin with.
>>
>>1049428
With the expansion of Nordhavnen they will also add atleast 2 stations out there.
They are building a fuckton of houses and offices out on those piers.
>>
>>1049426
no idea really. I just applied to state schools that I could get in state tuition so I could afford it. The advice an undergrad professor told me was try to go to school in the same region you want to live in. I want to stay local so I applied to nearby schools.
>>
>>1049719
The same way it's been done for years by tunnel boring machines. Some are continuous, pouring concrete walls as they dig.
>>
>>1049877
Is that loop raised over the sea and are stations planned on the piers or what is going on there?
>>
File: 1457195339962.jpg (732KB, 1000x662px) Image search: [Google]
1457195339962.jpg
732KB, 1000x662px
Hudson Yards let's goooo
>>
File: nordhavn_luftfoto1.jpg (554KB, 2200x1238px) Image search: [Google]
nordhavn_luftfoto1.jpg
554KB, 2200x1238px
>>1050283
They are expanding the pier. I'm would expect it to be above ground; since it is a completely fresh neighbourhood in which they can better integrate the metro-trains into.
>>
File: nordhavn_metro_hellerup.jpg (46KB, 600x611px) Image search: [Google]
nordhavn_metro_hellerup.jpg
46KB, 600x611px
Another proposed solution is to make the line go back into land again.
>>
File: sydhavn metro.jpg (134KB, 1153x749px) Image search: [Google]
sydhavn metro.jpg
134KB, 1153x749px
Money have also been set aside to expanding the line in the other direction into Sydhavnen.
>>
File: bi_campus_linien_3_4_neubauten.jpg (163KB, 1060x634px) Image search: [Google]
bi_campus_linien_3_4_neubauten.jpg
163KB, 1060x634px
Now there is a debate going on about the emergent city of science in the western part of our city. The map the newspaper posted is utter shit, but I'll try to explain what's going on anyway.
Line 4 is currently running from the city center to university and to two more stops (about 1000m) beyond that. The last stop is the small red four in the bottom left corner of the map. Students of the university of applied sciences have to take the tram to the penultimate stop and then walk a while to their school ("Campus Nord FH Bielefeld" on the map). Current plans are to extend line 4 with a 180° curve to serve the university of applied sciences from the other side and further to serve newly-built student housing (yellow line and "H" symbols).
Further plans include connecting the line to the terminus of line 3 via this insane loopadoop and building more housing on the way.

I don't know what to think of this. It looks like a bunch of awful ideas overall.
>>1050293
>>1050294
How far in the future is all this?
>>
File: bi_campus_linien_3_4_vorschlag.jpg (988KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bi_campus_linien_3_4_vorschlag.jpg
988KB, 1920x1080px
>>1050599
My idea would be to do something along these lines.
Have a new line (purple 5 in pic related) branch off from line 4 after the University and go straight to the northern campus. Afterwards, it runs along an established transport corridor instead of empty land with dispersed settlement and future buildings. It would replace the coverage of bus lines 25 and 26, which up until now make a sharp right turn instead of also connecting to campus. Line 5 would then connect to line 3 (yellow). This also allows for future extensions of line 4 to Dornberg in the northwest.
>>
File: bi_campus_linien_3_4_vorschlag2.jpg (967KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bi_campus_linien_3_4_vorschlag2.jpg
967KB, 1920x1080px
>>1050601
Alternative routing. This way line 5 doesn't have to go through any front yards and turns onto the main street sooner. Lines 25/26 (this time in bright yellow) would keep their current terminus.
>>
>>1046935
brutal
>>
File: 32128048194_a7acadb885_h[1].jpg (1MB, 1066x1600px) Image search: [Google]
32128048194_a7acadb885_h[1].jpg
1MB, 1066x1600px
>>1042247
At least this one looks like it isn't visible from ground level.
>>
Is it true that in japan you need to prove you have your own parking space in order to own a car?
>>
>>1051097
I would assume not everywhere, but in some places.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Metro_Subway

This line is quintessentially north american, i find
>>
Does anyone here have a career related to urban planning? What do you do and how did you get in the field?

I a just started a doctoral program in math right now, but lately I have been becoming more interested in urban planning. My school offers a graduate program in "urban computing", which seems to be mostly just big data and statistics stuff, which isn't related to my current research but I can probably transition in this direction if I want (I can drop out with just a MSc degree).

Is there any demand for math people in urban planning?
>>
>>1051779
I'm doing my MSc in statistics right now, but I've been working on more spatial analysis, mostly on public health for the city. I'm also hoping to transition more into that direction

My city just put together a "big data" team to tackle problems including transportation, which would be awesome to be part of
>>
>>1051779
Most Masters programs want you to take a statistics class as a bare minimum before you enroll.

I do some number crunching of ridership data but nothing really requiring a math degree. There is a lot of math invloved in traffic studies and modeling. A lot of this is for highway planning but I've used home-working modeling studies for transit (highway BRT tbf)

>>1051959
Do you do any stuff with GIS?
>>
>>1048061

Most of the anons's responses sum it up, in case you're still here after 3 weeks. It should be noted that low-density suburban housing puts a relatively high strain on delivering utilities such as electricity, water, natural gas, etc.
>>
What do you think of diagonal crosswalks at 4-way stops?
They put one in and it's compete chaos most of the time.
>>
>>1048113
>>1048127
>>1048191
All of these, plus the offset T intersections in the middle trigger me as well. Why not make it into a proper 4-way?
>>
>>1052403
My opinion on diagonal crosswalks is that they don't work unless it's signalized with traffic lights. This of course, applies mostly to the US.

A lot of people in the US don't seem to know how to deal with a 4-way stop for that matter.
>>
>>1052844
>a lot of people in the US don't seem to know how to drive for that matter

FTFY
>>
>>1052842
It's meant to slow cars down
>>
srs question how do not get depressed?

seriously everything just seems so irreparably fucked

>cities ripped up and filled with highways
>streetcar lines all ripped up and virtually nonexistant in North America
>mass transit is fucked in America
>North America (and others to lesser extants) are sprawled to the brim
>even then its not like you could densify that sprawl because its all culs-de-sac and ugly shit like that
>cars will never go away
>ugly architecture and draconian building codes
>demographic damage to the west means you will only be building up cities to hand to nonwesterners
>>
I'm pursuing my JD right now and can cross-list courses at my university's school of urban planning. Any advice on what 2-3 subjects would be most helpful for a future lawyer?
>>
>>1052986
>how do you not get depressed
i ride bicycles and consume dangerous amounts of alcohol on a regular basis
that doesn't necessarily keep me from getting depressed, but it keeps me from having to think about it
fuck cars
>>
>>1052994
>subjects useful for a lawyer
not even bullshitting you, take some cs courses
even if you don't have any reason to learn to program, learning a proper rigid thought process and how to break a big complex issue down into very small, well defined pieces is a super useful skill
>>
>>1052986
Yep. Our cities have been gutted and this is unlikely to change in the future as long as sprawl and the automobile industry generate huge profits, and as long as gasoline remains cheap. All the enlightened, thoughtful, well-researched writings of urbanists and planners from the past 50 years have made almost no difference, because human nature says that given the choice between living according to reason, or becoming wealthy, most folks will take the money and run.

As far as getting depressed by this, that's a more general question - how should we live in a world where people often do things that are irrational and harmful to others? You can be depressed by this, or you can accept that this is a part of human nature and it's a waste of time to worry about things that are beyond your control. Yes, you still should do everything that you possibly can to make things in better (including how your city functions) according to your station in life and abilities, but ultimately the only thing you can ever truly control is your will, and the thoughts and actions that follow from your will.

Consider this: you would think it absurd if I told you that I was depressed by the fact that the sun sets every day. You would laugh at me if I told you I was depressed that I have to deal with diarrhea the day after drinking lots of alcohol. And if I was weeping over the death of a Mayfly you'd certainly think I was being overdramatic about the death of an animal that by nature has a very short lifespan. Why then do you get depressed when people are motivated by cupidity? Because greed is the nature of men who have not learned that being contented makes life happier and easier. So then, do whatever you can to show people that there are better ways to live, but don't allow yourself to be depressed when humans behave like humans and make poor decisions.
>>
>>1052986
Move to Eastern Germany or Czechia and try not being depressed there either.
>>1053015
Good post
>>
>>1052994
>JD that can cross list courses with other graduate schools
I hope you aren't paying full sticker price tuition, because it seems your school is either terrible or offering you a useless "benefit"
>>
>>1053208
I pay just less than half. The cross-listing was my idea, since 3L is 2easy.
>>
>>1052994
My first urban planning professor actually had a JD and a Masters in planning. My school lets you count 17 law school credits towards a planning degree. You can only use up to 12 planning credits towards your law degree. Not sure how that math works out really.
>>
>>1053255
Good anon. Prepare for either cross listing or the JD to be useless unless you get an extremely specific law job.
>>
>>1047896
kek
>>
How do we fix North American Cities?
>>
>>1055587
Level them and start over.
>>
>>1055587
End freeway congestion
increase minimum lot sizes
enforce sufficient parking minimums
discourage mixing land uses
stop subsidising inefficient transportation systems
make pedestrians/cyclist pay full cost of their infrastructure like motorists do
etc etc
>>
>>1055635
Is this bait? It's always hard to tell with you guys
>>
>>1042463
It's cheaper to build out in a literal, money right then sense, but that's what lead to the problem we're dealing with right now. Suburbia is a cancer, and anything that helps to build vertically fights suburbia.
>>
>>1055587
This just covers the scope of a downtown/central business district of American city:

>Relax zoning regulations to allow for more mixed use development
>Convert one way streets to two way
>Reduce all car lanes to 9 or 10ft (there is literally no reason for 12ft lanes on a 25mph urban street), this creates space for bike lanes and wider sidewalks
>Make urban arterials more pedestrian-friendly, convert smaller side streets into curbless shared streets, and determine which streets can be closed off entirely or mostly to automobiles.
>No parking minimums but a parking maximum instead
>Maximum building setbacks determined by building type, usually 0 feet.
>Forbid the construction of 1 story buildings, anything built must be at minimum 2 stories, at the very least a one story building can get by if it's tall enough to match the profile of a 2 story building
>Ban drive thrus within the urban core
>Discourage driveway cuts
>Force developers to put off-street parking in the back of building instead of in front.
>Apply additional fines to the demolition of a building into a lot that stays empty, unless another building goes up in its place, then it gets an exemption.
>Discourage the use of empty lots as surface parking by levying a "parking lot tax" on owners or boosting existing parking lot taxes.
>commercial/retail on the first floor of any new building
>Hide parking garage structures behind buildings, no one likes to walk up against a bare garage.
>Look at existing rail lines for potential transit use
>Convert the busiest bus routest to BRT and then later on convert them to tram/streetcar lines, or ultimately a subway.
>Encourage transit-oriented development adjacent to major train stations.
>Redesign, bury, or remove elevated highway structures.

For the suburbs it's a whole other problem with no easy solution.
>>
>>1055644
I think this one is pretty obvious bait.
>>
>>1055657
>>Discourage the use of empty lots as surface parking by levying a "parking lot tax" on owners or boosting existing parking lot taxes.

LAND VALUE TAX
A
N
D

V
A
L
U
E

T
A
X
>>
>>1053874
Accurate best.
>>
>>1055657
What about a land value tax which remains flat regardless of FAR? It would encourage high-rise construction a lot.
>>
>>1055912
>>1055993
Oh yeah forgot to mention that
>>
What is /UPG/'s favorite American city and why?
>>
>>1056108
Out of the cities I've actually visited and spent at least a day in: Savannah, Georgia.

I like it mainly because of its unique grid, its small blocks and squares, plus historic architecture. It's laid back and not too busy. Doesn't have a massive highway cutting through it with a ton of traffic like most other cities and the waterfront/factor's walk is pretty cool. I have yet to visit its rival city Charleston. I've visited many of the big US cities and like the big skyscrapers and all, but I prefer a low-rise and compact city, especially if it has a waterfront or river running through it. Savannah fits this bill.
>>
https://www.svd.se/ny-tvarbana-och-20000-bostader-knyter-ihop-stockholm

South branch of Tvärbanan in Stockholm resurfaced. Meant to connect the event facilities around the Globe Arena to the commuter tains in Älvsjö. The original incarnation didn't take off as a new commuter train station was instead built where the commuter-train/tam rails intersected.

No dates.
>>
>>1042784
t. increasingly nervous marxist.
>>
>>1056108
Houston because they don't believe in fascist cultural marxist beliefs like """zoning""" or """equity"""".
>>
>>1055908
Yet many people really believe that.
>>
>>1056406
>>1055908
>>1055644
Some people actually think the government is better than the free market in dealing with urban issues and development.
>>
>>1056406
>>1055908
>>1055644
Some people actually think the government is better than the free market in dealing with urban issues and development. B
>>
>>1056300
>huge setback requirements that force buildings to be far away from sidewalks/streets
>minimum amount of parking required for each building which forces developers to create giant parking lots or parking garages
>sidewalks are paid for by the developer not the city, so most places in houston dont have sidewalks
>>
File: confused_screaming.jpg (11KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
confused_screaming.jpg
11KB, 320x320px
>>1056888
>>sidewalks are paid for by the developer not the city, so most places in houston dont have sidewalks
>>
>>1056888
Wew lad, where I live the city in some cases forces the developer to build/fix sidewalks and even the street sometimes. This of course depends on if there is a sidewalk, or the state of the sidewalk. If it's cracking and crumbling everywhere, they it's damned well guaranteed that the city is going to grab the developer by the balls and force them to re-lay the sidewalk, especially if it was damaged by construction machinery.
>>
>>1056901
Also if the development happens in downtown/CBD, then the city also makes the developer take down any remaining power poles and bury the electrical lines. Which I can agree to an extent - transmission lines are unsightly in a downtown.
>>
>>1048127
well said
>>
>>1050290
this station is actually massive. i like the fact the entrance doesnt dump people into a massive intersection, theres a chill public space
>>
>>1056108
I'm not from the US, but I've visited most of the large cities, and either Boston or NY. Super easy to get by without a car
>>
>>1056903
Look what just got proposed.

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/03/dig-once-bill-would-lower-cost-of-fiber.html
>>
File: Kornhill_2008.jpg (626KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Kornhill_2008.jpg
626KB, 1600x1200px
You might not like it, but this is what peak urban form looks like.
>>
>>1058067
But where do I park?
>>
>>1056901
In my American city sidewalks are built by the city and are required. There have been a few places that have balked at having to shovel their sidewalk so they opposed it being built. (A large golf course with no development on the golf course and a sidewalk on the other side of the street).

The city either pays for the sidewalk from property taxes or recovers some cost from a special assessment which is a shakedown the city does to pay for redoing roads/sidwalks/streetlights and say they aren't increasing property taxes.
>>
File: 1467362547141.jpg (102KB, 1280x936px) Image search: [Google]
1467362547141.jpg
102KB, 1280x936px
>>1058067
I would easily take comfy commieland blocks 1000x over any shitty sprawling suburbia hell

god I hate sprawl
>>
>>1058072
In a paid underground lot
>>
>>1058067
>>1058087
Better than living in a slum or favela
>>
>>1058147
slum within buildings would be worse
>>
>>1058158
Agreed, at least in a regular slum you can go outward, a highrise slum is compacted and you have to put up with shit from all sides.
>>
>>1058087
>commieblocks
>comfy

Spotted the first-world creampuff.
>>
>>1058067
I see you post this pic a lot. It's not 2008 any more in this area. Now houses the top secondary CBD in the city.
>>
>>1058067
>>1058479
Building density at Kornhill arises along the hill. Taikoo Shing below is the peak livable form. Not that I will complaint closer.
>>1058072
>>1058089
Techincally the multi-level carpark is built into a mountain, like the MTR station below, one of the largest cavern stations here and in Asia.
Alternatively you park under the podium instead of the shopping mall taking up every inch, basically building on a short two-level carpark,
>>
Who else is watching Planet Earth: Cities tonight?
>>
why do people moan so much about how much space freeways take? railyards are bigger than fucking airports and tend to be kind of close to city's CBD's depending on how they developed
>>
File: H_Hannover-Langenhagen_airport.jpg (658KB, 1880x849px) Image search: [Google]
H_Hannover-Langenhagen_airport.jpg
658KB, 1880x849px
>>1058525
"No"
>>
File: H_Seelze_trainyard.jpg (1MB, 1880x848px) Image search: [Google]
H_Seelze_trainyard.jpg
1MB, 1880x848px
>>1058525
>>1058607
>>
>>1058607
>>1058608
north american cargo freight is far more developed than europe
>>
>>1058608
Just took a look around hannover city centre there are at least two other rail yards besides the one you posted and they are far larger than any autoroute intersections in the city
>>
File: autism debate.png (63KB, 296x304px) Image search: [Google]
autism debate.png
63KB, 296x304px
>>1058608
Theres about 1.5km^2 of shunt space in central hannover and that airport is around 2km^2, europe relies far more heavily on trucks for shipping
>>
>>1058620
Ok, can you give a good example of this?
>>1058621
True, but the one I posted is by far the largest one and it is located outside the city limits. What is the argument here?
>>1058626
The airport is 9.15 km2 in surface area.
>>
HATE it when provincial cities build something taller than 3 stories and the runtoids name it "-hattan"
>>
>>1058656
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trollhättan
>>
File: midtown manhattan at night.jpg (124KB, 800x287px) Image search: [Google]
midtown manhattan at night.jpg
124KB, 800x287px
>>1058656
>
>>1058637
That cars, planes and trains have various advantages and disadvantages and space isn't really one of them, you can have more train infrastructure in a city than controlled access freeways, because of cargo shunts and gigantic railway termini.

I love trains, and prefer them over cars but the land usage argument is dumb. Also airports should be built on reclaimed land in coastal areas like Japan.
>>
North america pushes a lot freight using trains, and the infrastructure is immense and underutilised
>>
File: Untitled.png (297KB, 1044x908px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
297KB, 1044x908px
>>1058781
major freight hub back in the day and more land usage for shunts than airports, if you dont count the disused mirable airport up north
>>
>>1058656
>runtoids
I'm aware this is some meme /int/ word that bongs use but what does it mean? Is it similar to normie or yuppie?
>>
File: Cincinnati.png (463KB, 1192x1185px) Image search: [Google]
Cincinnati.png
463KB, 1192x1185px
>>1058780
A challenger appears!
>>
File: runt.png (2KB, 200x37px) Image search: [Google]
runt.png
2KB, 200x37px
>>1058887
>>
File: UnionTerminal.jpg (3MB, 3264x1669px) Image search: [Google]
UnionTerminal.jpg
3MB, 3264x1669px
>>1058890
Hey, I was just there! That part of Cincinnati was really fucked over by the interstate, but because it was a black area there wasn't any effective highway revolt. It's one of the only flat areas in the center of the city so it's really unfortunate. One of Cincinnati's most iconic buildings, Union Terminal, is in that area, and if America didn't fuck over passenger trains in favor of interstate highways it'd probably be an actually useful train station instead of a couple of museums with an Amtrak station.
>>
>>1058907
Is that just the def for 'runt'. Where does the 'oids' come in?
>>
>>1058890
If they gentrified Over-The-Rhine and had some infill in those empty lots, Cincinnati would be bretty good
>>
Using National Transit Database data is such a colossal pain.

Maybe Trump could fix that mess rather than eliminate the FTA
>>
>>1059067
MEANWHILE AT THE HALL OF JUSTICE!
>>
>>1060013
I wish america got stuck in its art deco/beaux art phase
>>
File: 330px-Hall_of_Justice.jpg (24KB, 330x253px) Image search: [Google]
330px-Hall_of_Justice.jpg
24KB, 330x253px
>>1060013
I knew that looked familiar…
>>
What are your thoughts on parking podiums? (Basically a high rise tower where the first several levels are parking/a tower built ontop of a parking ramp. The street level may be retail.

I like the increasing density and still providing for parking but I think they look pretty hideous architecturally. I'd prefer underground parking whenever possible. I guess I'd prefer a podium parking development over nothing at all though.
>>
>>1060523
Underground parking is not feasible everywhere. Especially where the water table is high
>>
>>1060523
That is just horrible in terms of architecture. The high rise towers should be built with public transport in mind, not cars
>>
>>1060523
Parking podiums can be done successfully if they have other uses lining the outside of the garage - basically liner buildings within a larger building, though the footprint of the podium will have to be a bit larger. Ideally, the goal is to completely hide the garage from sight. In that case you would need mechanical ventilation.
>>
A train from Central NJ to Long island is three hours and 30 minutes.

A train from Yokosuka to Chiba in Japan is 2 hours and 10 minutes.

Despite both being the same distance. the Japanese rail system is 2/3rd of the american commute and costs a third less.

why the fuck is american infrastructure so retarded.
>>
>>1060562
Is that commuter rail for Japan too, because if not that's not really comparable. I can take a bus from Albany to Manhattan for $6 and two and a half hours.
>>
File: marina.jpg (69KB, 480x552px) Image search: [Google]
marina.jpg
69KB, 480x552px
>>1060533
What's not to love?
>>
>>1060566
its about $50 with Amtrak and it takes 3 hours on the empire service.

>>1060562
Wouldn't that mean taking a NJ transit train from the station in NJ, changing to a LIRR train in penn and then travelling to the station in long island.

its way less efficient than an express commuter train that probably through routes through central tokyo
>>
>>1060592
That shall be a local line not express?
>>
File: Union_Square_Overview_201008.jpg (4MB, 2789x2091px) Image search: [Google]
Union_Square_Overview_201008.jpg
4MB, 2789x2091px
>>1060533
Why not both?
(Aside from horrible surroundings here)
>>
>>1060533
>>1060573
Some way to hide it inside the mall/complex/podium is always better, or simply setting aside a corner.
>>
>>1060566
>commuter rail
Why is it not commuter rail?
Hell if my metro or DC suburban rail is long enough it is commuter rail.
What kind of rail it is is irrelevant.
>>
>>1060562
>A train from Central NJ to Long island is three hours and 30 minutes.
>A train from Yokosuka to Chiba in Japan is 2 hours and 10 minutes.
That isn't too big of a difference and not really amazing. From my city, I can take a train to a nearby town of 82 000, 40 km away, which takes roughly half an hour. I can also take a train to a city of 162 000, 42 km away, which takes more than an hour. Anecdotal examples of this won't get you very far. We all know North American rail transit is shit.
>>
>>1060607
>Hell if my metro or DC suburban rail is long enough it is commuter rail.
'no'

VRE and MARC are commuter rail, Baltimore Metro, Washington Metro, Philly's Orange and Blue lines are rapid transit. They're all heavy rail.
>>
The German government wants to spend an additional 25 million euros on bicycle expressways completely without cars, traffic lights or intersections this year. All in all, the funds for bicycle infrastructure shall be increased from 60 to 100 million per year.
>>
>>1060562
North American rail has to compete with freight as well
>>
>>1060696
Jk. The common notion of commuter rail is yours as is. This specific meaning is used generally on its own, instead of the general term literally.
Japan runs commuter rail into rapid transit sections, which in this case (Yokusuka-Chiba) grade crossings are present on the outer Yokosuka Line, and the rest of the outer system (Utsunomiya, Sobu (Chiba onwards), Narita, Sotobo and Uchibo Line).
>>
File: Cleveland surface parking.gif (402KB, 500x312px) Image search: [Google]
Cleveland surface parking.gif
402KB, 500x312px
Discuss how urban renewal was a positive force for the development of cities especially downtowns.
>>
>>1061021
The reduction in supply helped buoy market values during the time when (US) cities were declining, and the empty tracts created allowed for room to build new housing stock once downtowns started gentrifying, without having to tear down buildings and districts that would probably be landmarked by then.
>>
>>1061092
Good points. Though many cities are still far from infilling their parking/empty lot craters, things have come a long way. However, I'm not a fan of the way housing is done. Most urban apartments now are 5-6 story wood frame buildings built on a concrete podium acting as first-floor retail and parking. My biggest gripe is that they occupy an entire block, are architecturally bland for the most part, and more often than not uses inferior materials and fixtures. I know they do it to keep costs down and all, but I much rather prefer several smaller buildings occupying a block with maybe 50-ft street frontages rather than a giant continuous building that has the same imposing facade for 500 feet. Imagine an older European street or an old American main street to get an idea of what I'm talking about.
>>
File: Indianapolis.jpg (490KB, 1244x718px) Image search: [Google]
Indianapolis.jpg
490KB, 1244x718px
>>
>>1061913
Just end it already
>>
>>1061913
Jesus fucking christ almighty.
>>
File: Houston.jpg (164KB, 525x571px) Image search: [Google]
Houston.jpg
164KB, 525x571px
>>
>>1062163
STOP
>>
>>1062163
To be fair, that picture is old as fuck.
>>
>>1061913

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

>>1062163

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: denver.png (3MB, 1571x973px) Image search: [Google]
denver.png
3MB, 1571x973px
>>
>>1062276
>>1061913
>>1061021

Jesus christ merica get your shit together!
>>
Does anyone know where you can find blueprints for civil works?

I want to redesign Boston's Big Dig surface Boulevard for fun, but I don't know where to find anything sort blueprints or plans or anything

any help would be appreciated
>>
>>1062163
The powers of no zoning.

Truly a beacon of light in these trying times of parking maximums.
>>
>>1062320
Canada can join us.
>>
>>1047896
3rd year undergrad for planning here
>>
>>1062469
ecologist here. I want to specialize in urban environments. Do you guys learn about ecological integrity, the importance of biodiversity, connectivity via nature corridors, etc?
>>
>>1062469
What schools do undergrad planning? When I was looking for schools I could afford I only really saw Geography or Urban Studies programs.
>>
File: 1322592037674.jpg (51KB, 700x466px) Image search: [Google]
1322592037674.jpg
51KB, 700x466px
This is the ideal urban planned city. You may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like.
>>
>>1063985
((you))
>>
File: old school zoning.jpg (463KB, 977x703px) Image search: [Google]
old school zoning.jpg
463KB, 977x703px
Post neat looking zoning maps.
>>
File: Denver70s.jpg (291KB, 1024x690px) Image search: [Google]
Denver70s.jpg
291KB, 1024x690px
>>1062163
A competitor emerges.
>>
>>1064328
i shudder at the though fucking paris could have ended up like this if Le shitbusier got his plan approved. What kind of person thinks this is ok in any way?
>>
>>1064328
Why are we pretending that these decades-old pictures are relevant?
>>
>>1063985
Ewh. No.
Also
>city
>>
>>1063985
>You may not like it
This is literally the most important aspect of city planning. The entire point of it is to create an environment people like to live in. Cause then people will pay more to move there, which means you get higher-educated residents which will do business and support local economy.
>>
>>1064350
cagers
>>
File: London Bridge.jpg (3MB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
London Bridge.jpg
3MB, 3888x2592px
The 1831 London Bridge (original stonework on a concrete structure) in Lake Havasu City, Arizona.
>>
>>1064356
t. Denver
>>
File: chonqing metro through building.jpg (304KB, 950x633px) Image search: [Google]
chonqing metro through building.jpg
304KB, 950x633px
>>1063985
No, this is.
>>
>>1064528
This looks like a vision of hell.
>>
>>1064594
I hate monorail but I support wise use of it.
>>
>>1063985
How about this.
>>
File: 1411.jpg (566KB, 1685x1123px) Image search: [Google]
1411.jpg
566KB, 1685x1123px
>>1063985
>>1064636
Fuck.
>>
>>1064637
I mean this works better, and is cheaper.
>>
just got into manchester lads
wahey
>>
>>1064760
Looking at Japan in the 70s is like what the US could have been if it didnt have millions of ethnic minorities as an underclass
>>
>>1064822
How soon until you can escape?
>>
>>1064924
>>>/pol/
Japan in the future would be what the US could have been if it didn't have millions of immigrants as an underclass.
>>
>>1064760
They work as well as each other, one in plains and one in a valley.
>>
>>1064760
>absolutely dehumanizing.jpg
Looks more like a prison camp than an actual residential area. The fact that the buildings not only all look the same but even have numbers stenciled on them reinforces this.

"Will the inmates in cell block 0-62 report to the yard for cell inspection."
>>
File: kornhill.jpg (226KB, 984x660px) Image search: [Google]
kornhill.jpg
226KB, 984x660px
>>1065066
Yeah, it's poor urban form.

I prefer stores at street level
>>
File: Plus15West.gif (62KB, 1908x1078px) Image search: [Google]
Plus15West.gif
62KB, 1908x1078px
>>1065067
Retail should be at the skyway level.
>>
>>1065067
>>1065210
Guess you didn't notice bridges connecting the shopping malls. Retail, streets, community are built from the ground level.
>>
>>1062515
we haven't gone in depth about that, but they make it known that conserving the environment is a priority. In the first year we had a course on environmental sustainability.

>>1063388
I'm in Australia, most uni's have at least a masters planning degree. My one is one of the only ones with an accredited undergrad planning degree.

You should do well with geography or urban studies man. They are pretty related. I think planning is almost like a more practical and applied version of urban studies. Our Program Director started out in geography.

Maybe you could start out in geography or urban studies and do a masters in planning?
>>
>>1064541
You aren't fooling me. That is the surface of the Death Star.
>>1064594
It doesn't get anymore co/n/fy than this.
>>1064632
Monorail is only good if you know you need one route, and nothing else, ever. Like in Wuppertal.
>>
I always find these graphs interesting when looking at rural places. So many of them have holes in the young people demographic and then you find areas with state schools and you get something like this.
>>
>>1065351
oops
>>
File: Capture.jpg (344KB, 1723x1166px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
344KB, 1723x1166px
Just learned my city was really into building a personal rapid transit system for a while. One of the buildings built in downtown during that era even designed their towers so PRT could go between them.

Personal Rapid Transit was such an odd fad.
>>
>>1065652
You would think that with autonomous driver systems and things it would be pretty easy to set one of these things up
>>
>>1065652
REKT
>>
>>1065346
>>1064541
My urge to nuke it is at critical.
>>1064632
Unless there's landslide, hillsides and hilltops count. That area is bus-heavy, then comes idiotic CPC communists trying to build a motherfucking metro there while the a piece of flatland (former runway) gets a monorail but not trams/streetcars. Ruining everything since 1949 and 1997.
Such boring rides without slopes to appreciate the gradient and curves a monorail can nvaigate through.
>>
>>1065723
Back when the technology was new there were competing bids from a handful of U.S. cities for the federal government to help build a PRT system. Alot of the weight was waiting on University of West Virginia system to see how it turned out. It ran into a number of delays and PRT never really found a home elsewhere. West Virginia's system is pretty neat though. On my wishlist to ride.
>>
>>1065652
>>1065723
>>1065919
To me, PRT is the like the climax of shitty auto-centric planning, along with similar downtown monorail systems built in the US.

>lets all live in single family homes in the suburbs
>commute to work in cars and using highways
>park on surface lots in your high density downtown and take the monorail or personal transit vehicle to your specific tower block
>>
>>1064963
basketball americans have been in the states for hundreds of years though, more than most of the europeans
>>
>>1064760
the actual form around it is solid practical planning, if only they decided to make more than one design to make people less butthurt it could have been pretty good
>>
>>1066471
Would prefer more mixed use to be honest. Being next to that major road doesn't seem pleasant either.
>>
New bread when?
>>
>>1066818
Now. It'll be nice to have a picture in the OP. What should be the theme/edition?
>>
>>1067443
Here's some suggestions for thread theme/edition off the top of my head:
Transit Oriented Development
Bike Friendly Cities
Walkability
Main Street
Infill Development
>>
New thread

>>1067735
>>1067735
>>1067735
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 75

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.