[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

bikes waste more road soace than buses

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

photo source: Cycling promotion fund, the photo provide a visual comparison of the amount of road space used by different transportartion means to carry 70 peoples
>>
File: 109324757465.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
109324757465.jpg
1B, 486x500px
These bieks still are individual traffic though.
Given more people, a light rail might still be more efficient than a bus.
>pic related: last place
>>
>>1040884

Bikes don't wear out the riding surface... I bet there is a bike specific road material that wouldn't need maintenance for decades

obviously less pollution

Healthier population could be neutral since end of life care is actually cheaper for fast dying fat smokers
>>
>>1040905

Is it cheaper to take care of a physically and mentally capable 70 year old woman (my grandmother who lived a healthy life in the Caribbean) or a 1 legged, diabeetus, Alzheimer's, oxygen tank carrying 67year old (her cousin who lived an unhealthy life in America)
>>
>>1040908

Guess which one is going to die faster.
>>
>>1040884
Who gives a fuck? Buses are usually full of skeezy, scary people I don't want to have to associate with. Jamming 70 people into a bus also spreads disease like crazy; I don't want diseases from skeezy, scary people. Buses are noisy, smelly, and un-aesthetic. Also, when I ride a bike, it's not for mere 'transportation', I ride for training, and I'm on a road racing team, so I race on my bike too. If I need 'transportation' I'll drive my own personal CAR, and IDGAF what you or anyone else thinks of that. You can have your noisy, smelly, ugly, disease-infested buses all you want, along with the rest of the plebs. In fact I think I'll vote for LESS public transportation money in my city, and more of it for bike lanes and parking for CARS, because buses suck so much cock. If you don't agree with me then you're obviously mentally challenged and shouldn't be allowed to use the internets in the first place.
>>
>>1040908
If your grandma lives to 98, and the American cousin could have lived to 98 if she had your grandmothers lifestyle but dies at 69 then the diabeetus monster will have likely cost less in the long run.

But I don't know how much they've delivered before their pension and how much was affected by their lifestyle.
>>
>>1040884
bikes however accelerate the last mile, until public transport. its the reason people once thought the car was the final word on transportation
>>
>>1040950
*unlike
>>
File: 1176698229146.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1176698229146.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>mfw the bus riding cunts who ruined /o/ are targeting /n/ now
>>
>>1040938

Well grandma is still working and driving, her business expanded the most after her 60th

She provides charity, pays taxes and in fact sends money to diabeetus in the states because they were pretty close as youngsters.

Diabeetus has been a financial drain for about 8 years now and while his health isn't great docs say there is no foreseeable death and to say another 15 years of life is possible wouldn't be an outrageous claim.

So diabeetus could potentially be a drain for a total of 23 years which means grandma has to take sick today and die at 93. She won't quit working any time soon.
>>
Is there one car per person even though a car could fit 3+ passengers?
I realize that most cars are rode with Hitler but buses aren't always completely filled either.
>>
>>1040991
At least in the US, single-occupant cars are the dominant mode of transport, and as for counting the capacity of buses, that's always going to be an estimate at best, but if the bus carries at least 3 passengers per day (three trips completed) than it's already more efficient than an SO car on the 'trips completed per vehicle' measure.
>>
>>1040936
That's buses un your region whoch need to be fixed
>>
>>1040884
>70 people, bus has 1 route
>70 people, bikes have 70 routes

>area increase of about 30%
>dead dinosaur decrease of over 30%
>city scale lead poisoning decrease of almost 100%
and so on and so on
>>
>>1041168
which third world country are you in that lead are still not outlawed from gasoline?
>>
>>1041168
What if the bus is powered by hydrogen or overhead electric wires?
>>
>>1041168
>increase area of about 30%
>assume you can ride 6 bicycles parallely on same lane like the picture
In reality it is 130%*6=8 times
>>
>>1040884
Bikefags BTFO, Just less shittier cagers, but cagers none-the-less.
>>
>>1040884
>bikes waste more road soace than buses
Assuming everyone is going from the same place to places along the same route, yes. But that's not the niche bikes fill. Bikes are slow but agile, low footprint personal transportation.
You might as well compare canal boats or something.
>>
>>1040884
Buses don't carry 70 people most of the time.
>>
>>1040991
Pic related effectively seats two people in tandem but generally used for one since the passenger seat has to be taken out if you want cargo space.

It's all-electric and just about a meter/3ft wide, and it can share a lane with another one like motorcycles do wherever it is legal to lane split. It's a goofy looking car that looks like it's in danger of tipping over, but the massive weight of the batteries at the bottom make it at as stable as a standard sedan.
>>
>>1043023
And they could have problems in some narrow streets when taking turns.
>>
>>1041193
this.
>>
A bus needs a full road. A narrow bike path is enough for bikes. Costs for road construction would go down quite a bit it everyone would use a bike. Maybe we could ban cages from side roads? Only pedestrians and bikes allowed.
>>
In my opinion thetransportation masterrace is motorbike.
>individual traffic, you can go where you want
>if people would buy them isntead of cars they would be dirt cheap
>fraction of a car's emissions
>can transport 1 passanger with you, if you need more you can have a car (similarly, truck remain the main way to transport stuff in large quantities)
>no need to wait for bus, travel with mentally/phisically ill peaple who always danger your life
>petrolheads and self-made engineers can pimp their bikes
>we can have much narrower roads
>>
>>1040884
False the bicyclists do not ride that close unless in a peloton
>>
>>1041191
In fluid dynamics the smaller the more agile always the more efficient
>>
>>1040884
well that's like saying having one big grocery store in a city is better than having smaller, more localized grocery stores in every neighborhood because the big one takes up less space than all the small ones do. In that explanation it makes sense, but the smaller, more dispersed stores allow the customers to have easier access and quicker overall service.
>>
>>1041095
It's not the buses that need to be fixed, it's the people who ride them.
>>
>>1047260
>not even mentioning sidecars for the additional passenger or cargo space

Are you straight or something? Do you fail to suck dick? I don't think this website is for you, my man.
>>
>>1047317
but the bigger one will have more variety and fresher products as well as lower prices
>>
>>1047335
But everyone will have to travel greater distances to access it, generating heavier traffic and worse pollution. Lack of mixed zoning is what completely ruined American cities in the first place. I have a grocery store a quarter mile walking away and pass another half dozen on my two and a half miles work commute.
>>
File: Pileup.jpg (119KB, 504x332px) Image search: [Google]
Pileup.jpg
119KB, 504x332px
>>1047312
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.