[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A Metro/Subway/Underground thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: 92870-vl_tube_map_june2016_640.jpg (129KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
92870-vl_tube_map_june2016_640.jpg
129KB, 640x360px
>News about strikes by London Underground workers again.
They should really just use autonomous train and unmanned station instead, and it is not like it have not been done elsewhere
>>
>>1040040
autonomous trains still need a human in them to make sure you stop when something bad happens
>>
i made a poem

this morning
i cycled to work
this evening
i cycled back home
tfl can suck my balls
and get aids, fkn cunts
>>
File: Boris-Johnson.jpg (84KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
Boris-Johnson.jpg
84KB, 1200x630px
>>1040051
>>
>>1040042
even if you need to have human on them to make them work, they would realize they are not irreplaceable and thus would accept less treat. Also, after long time trouble free autonomous operation, companies will obviously work on cutting drivers

Plus i think there are already sone trains in the world have no backup driver in it.
>>
you all should play mini metro. hate the artificial difficulty though.
>>
>>1040056
basically me yeah

>>1040063
>Plus i think there are already sone trains in the world have no backup driver in it.
literally IN LONDON already (DLR)
can't wait for all tfl to become automated so that we can get rid of scum tfl workers
>>
>>1040088
I want trains, particularly metros, commuter rail, and light rail to be autonomous with centralized control. That way drivers can never fuck everyone over by walking off the job and the risk of labor strife is low. It'd basically be like air traffic control, which very very rarely has labor issues that impact the ability of airlines to operate normally.

I'm speaking to this based on my experience when the BART operators went on strike. It can fucking paralyze everything.
>>
>>1040094
The worst part is that BART is nearly automated already. The drivers just open and close the doors.
>>
File: 大阪 (2495).gif (214KB, 610x457px) Image search: [Google]
大阪 (2495).gif
214KB, 610x457px
>>1040078
>>
>>1040063
>Plus i think there are already sone trains in the world have no backup driver in it.

The Vancouver Sky Train iirc is the worlds largest fully automated system. The SRT here in Toronto is capable of full ATO operation but the union put up a huge stink back when the line opened in 85.
>>
I take the subway 4-5 times a day. Love the fact that actual humans still run it. I want more computer automation when it comes to dispatching. But losing the human touch would suck. There is nothing I love more then hearing conductors screaming MOVE AWAY FROM THE CLOSING DOORS PLEASE! during rush hour on a 6 train.
>>
>>1040251
Loops are cancer.
Osaka is easy.
>>
>>1040299
The question is whether you keep a staff/driver to look after the train and how critical he is.
>>
>>1040042
>>1040063
>drivers
Cycle station staff onboard. Dedicate drivers elsewhere.
>>
>>1040319
>actual humans still run it
>conductors
Not necessarily drivers thus.
>>
>>1040129

Same with MARTA. Open and close doors, and make shitty announcements over the automated announcer.
>>
>>1040364
This put me onto top ten on daily challenge last week...
>>
What certifications do Metro drivers have in your city. My LRT system requires drivers to have what the government calls a Commercial Driver's License. They first start out as regular bus driver's before cross training to train drivers.

When I hear that BART and MARTA drivers only open/close doors, make announcements etc. and are on closed systems it makes me wonder if it is necessary to hire trained driver's like that or if they have the same career path.
>>
>>1040415
Here in Toronto you need a valid G-License (the standard drivers license) and a clean driving record. These are universal for all operator position since if you are applying to the TTC you don't get to choose what division you work in, the TTC puts you where you are needed. If you already work for the TTC than you can apply for Subway operations internally.

From what I know if you do make it into the Subway division you undergo a 30 day training course. You spend the first week or so in class and on the simulator (they put you on the simulator one day one). Assuming you haven't dropped out after the first couple of weeks, they then take you to Lower Bay station (closed since 1966) to give you more practical real world training (i.e evacuation procedures, troubleshooting, etc.); you will also do more in-class and simulator work. In the final week you do the final exam which is both written and practical. The written half is obviously in class and is comprehensive. The practical half of the test is out on the line with your trainer (usually around 7:00am). Assuming you score a perfect 100% on the written test and perform well on the operations test you become a Subway operator. iirc you're on probation for a couple of months after.
>>
>>1040415
Hong Kong:
only light rail driver require drivong license. no need for other train captain
train captain will be trained and constantly assessed every 18 months for their adaptability in the position of driving trains by the company.
>>
>>1040088

It took them 20 years to automate the DLR, the only other line that is able to be automated as is (Victoria) already is for all intents and purposes. I don't think that the general public understand quite what a monumental task it would be to convert the UK rail network to driverless trains, it was just built to long ago.
>>
>>1040440
Are you the other lone mysterious HKer on /n/?
>>
>>1040415
>>1040481
IIRCall station staff is trained in driving in case of emergency. Don't think South Island Line onboard crew now is dedicated driver pulled aside.
>>
>>1040588
I think we have at least 3 people from Hong Kong in /n/
>>
>>1040042
Vancouver Skytrain still runs when the attendants go on strike, not that they have in a very long time. It's just the supervisors and managers, who are not part of the union, that handle any faults and ect.
>>
File: 1206-00407-057b3.jpg (75KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1206-00407-057b3.jpg
75KB, 600x338px
>>1040440
>>1040675

Cool. Is Hong Kong still planning to build a shitty monorail to Kai Tak?
>>
>>1040742
Yes. Shit Kong Stinky Kong confirmed. Pic should be the better proposed tram route.
Plans for an underground city there came up officially a few days ago, after a possible Mong Kok footbridge network in the future
>>
>>1040742
It seems like they are currently doing "detailed feasibility study" on the monorail system with result to be released later this year
>>
>>1040589
>>1040440
Wrong quote.
>>
>>1040745
Great.
Both West Kowloon and Kai Tak in East Kowloon is falling apart.
>>
>>1040744
but the proposal to build underground mall in causeway bay have been suggested for gods know how many year....
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.gif (52KB, 800x543px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.gif
52KB, 800x543px
>>1040040
Spanish Subway is the best one I have ever seen, pic related is Metro de Madrid
>>
>>1040040
>autonomous train
Needs the stations to be substantially rebuilt to fit appropriate protective barriers.
>unmanned station
Only works in some neighborhoods. Others need people there for crime prevention.
>>
>>1040807
protective barrier??
and man the station with security guard not qa desk if security is the concern
>>
File: moscow_metro_map_28.jpg (2MB, 4000x3997px) Image search: [Google]
moscow_metro_map_28.jpg
2MB, 4000x3997px
Bump. It's 2017 and some new stations will be open soon and whole new line here in the city of Moscow.
>>
>>1040760
it works because madrid is not absolutely collapsed like london (for example) is

another 2 million people living in madrid and it will work like shit, just like it happens in london

also that map is so old it brings me back to my childhood lol, so many stations missing

source: i am from madrid
>>
>>1040807
>substantially rebuilt
Explaiin.
>>
>>1042513
how much demand was there for the outer circle line? I notice a lot of its connections are shit and require lengthy walks

It connects Moscow City to the rest of the metro area, is that the main reason for it being built?
>>
>>1042513
THE BEST
>>1042539
I guess he means you have to erect a fence with gates at the points where the train doors end up.
>>
>>1042513
Honestly this is the best metro map ever.
>bilingual works even with two alphabets
>symmetrical
>colours and font on point

Moscow just needs to get their regional rail and buses to new level and we have a new top quality transit metropolis.
>>
>>1043009
>new top quality transit metropolis

Their metro system is indeed spectacular, especially the extent of it, however the older tunnels aand tracks are usually in very bad condition. Trains are noisy, slow and outdated (I'm not saying this doesn't happen anywhere else). They rather invest in enlarging the system and new lines instead of improving the old ones.
The rest of the public transport system in Moscow is very Russian-like, although probably the best out of them. Tram tracks are terrible, trolleybuses little better, but still nothing what you would see in rest of Europe.
>>
>>1043009
It's a great map, I like how they put walking distances on there too. That is still missing from the transit maps I'm used to.
>>
>>1042592

Actually i can't argue with "shit connections". Didn't use this "Central Circle", so i can't tell how convenient it is. Maybe this circle already helps to "unload" inner circle line, but mornings in Moscow sub are still terrible. My friend repeatedly reporting that Vikhino (purple line) is pure hell. There are more to discuss, like permanent traffic jam on MKAD and inability of local government to build proper road connections for the last 15 years. Situation started getting better but middle class people have been running away from city since year 2003 (Sincmetroe the end of 80's actually. Back then reasons were different: lack of food in the stores, organized crime and chaos. Nowadays people running from stress, high prices/taxes, traffic jams and government terror on small business). And this stampede won't stop. That's yet another reason why Moscow is flooding with immigrants. But it's a separate topic.

Anyway.

Currently Third Interchange Contour is under construction and you can see how it will be by the year 2020: https://stroi.mos.ru/metro
>>
>>1043197

>Since 80's

*selffix
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.