[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How dumb is it to buy a road bike with an endurance frame to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: G103TTCC-H4-SIDE-AVANT_H40-gris.jpg (94KB, 1000x864px) Image search: [Google]
G103TTCC-H4-SIDE-AVANT_H40-gris.jpg
94KB, 1000x864px
How dumb is it to buy a road bike with an endurance frame to go on a bike trip throughout some parts of Europe?

I don't want to buy a touring bike because it's not what I usually ride and I want to keep the bike since I'll be buying the bike in Europe and
I don't live there and don't feel like going through the hassle of selling it before I leave, so I will bring it back with me.

I was thinking of getting some racks that don't need rack mounts and etc. What do you guys think?
>>
If you have money, there is no problem with buying some bike for using it.

If you want a nice budget option, check decathlon's bikes, price range goes from 350 euro to 900, it starts with 8speed and ends with 105, the frames are endurance ones, have mount racks and I think the newer models have clearance for 28mm+fender-32mm. I tell you about these bikes because they are cheap and reliable, and some people do touring on them.
>>
>>1039756
Thanks for the tip!

I'll check them out, I'd want to stay between 450-650 euros, saw come CAAD8 for 550 which interested me. If I do spend lots of money, I was also thinking about the Canyon Endurace bikes.
>>
>>1039760
>450-650 euros
boardman road sport, pretty decent brand, pretty decent frame and fork

and the geometry is pretty relaxed
>>
File: flipflop-dlx-seatpost-rack-1.jpg (211KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
flipflop-dlx-seatpost-rack-1.jpg
211KB, 1200x1200px
>>1039762
I'll check them out as well. Thanks!

The racks without support should be fine, yeah? I was looking at this:
http://axiomgear.com/products/racks/flip-flop-racks/flipflop-dlx-seatpost-rack/
http://axiomgear.com/products/racks/low-rider-racks/journey-dlx-lowrider/
>>
>>1039765
For carrying stuff on bikes without mount racks, I have read that big saddle bags are the best option combined with a handlebar bag, check lightweight setups, there are dudes who travel long distances on road bikes with just 8-10kg. Another option could be a bike trailer.
>>
>>1039747
>How dumb is it to buy a road bike with an endurance frame to go on a bike trip throughout some parts of Europe?
>I don't want to buy a touring bike because it's not what I usually ride
If you're carrying a lightish load - at most two medium-sized panniers worth of gear - sure, this is fine. The non-touring bike will probably be more fun to ride. On the other hand, if you're carrying a large load, it won't be great - touring bikes exist for a reason.

>I was thinking of getting some racks that don't need rack mounts and etc.
>>1039765
This is dumb unless you're carrying the tiniest, lightest load. Seatpost racks aren't super secure, and they're comparatively heavy. They're a nice way to add some extra storage to a bike you already have, but why halfass this if you're buying a bike for this trip? There are plenty of fun non-touring-bikes with rack mount bosses and brazeons.

If you're really set on a bike without rack mounts, get something like this instead: http://axiomgear.com/products/racks/streamliner-racks/streamliner-road-dlx/
Less than half the weight of the seatpost rack you linked, 3x the load capacity, and cheaper. Fits to the QR and brake bridge, so you still can fit it to a bike without rack mounts. And it puts the load further aft, which will let you fit fullsize bags and still avoid heelstrikes on a bike without long touring bike chainstays.

That rack took me across Japan on a borrowed road bike. Highly recommended.

Those front lowriders: I always cringe at the ubolt-around-the-fork-blade method of putting panniers on a fork without rack mounts, especially without a bracing hoop around the front wheel. You're not going to be able to carry much of a load on those. Look at the Tubus Tara.

And note that you ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT p-clamp/u-bolt lowrider pannier carriers onto a carbon fork, like in your thread-starting picture.
>>
>>1039776
>And note that you ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT p-clamp/u-bolt lowrider pannier carriers onto a carbon fork, like in your thread-starting picture.
Damn, didn't even think about that.

Alright, that rack looks better, will get it if I get a bike without rack mount. I was like at the Trek 1 series, they come with rackmounts but I'm not sure on the bike itself.
Some people have said it isn't very good, but then again, anything will be better than what I have right now haha.
>>
endurance frames and touring frames have very similar frame geometry. They have a longer top tube and the top tube slopes up more toward the handlebars for a more relaxed ride. so you are only losing durability if you ride on rough roads because the endurance frame is built lighter
>>
File: wftamireading.jpg (106KB, 640x366px) Image search: [Google]
wftamireading.jpg
106KB, 640x366px
>>1039826
>>
just get a Fuji Touring smfh
>>
>>1039762

I have one of these for commuting etc, really good bike for the price. Newer Claris is pretty good too. Although it's not got THAT upright a position compared to other entry level bikes...
>>
>>1039747

Are you a roadie or not?

Because if you aren't full-lycra what you really want is a CX-style adventure bike with fat tires

Here's the scoop: Touring frames are all about chainstay length. They make them long to prevent heel-strikes on panniers and also because it gives the bike boat-like handling with a heavy load, due to the extended wheelbase.

Another thing you'll find on a touring bike is 700x35+ tires. These are important, imho, for a comfy ride. Low psi fat tires mean comfort on 100 mile rides

So get something like a Marin Lombard... or Euro equivalent

It has short chainstays for more roadie-like handling, but room for fat tires like a touring bike, and will come with a slightly more upright ride for your tour. Then when you get home lower the stem and put on narrow tires if you wanna use it for semi-roadie use.

It's a much more useful bike all-around if you aren't competing in road races
>>
>>1039896
>>1039747

This is $899, SRAM Rival
>>
File: ab4b4b46fb882d54421bee48eb152.jpg (140KB, 1199x739px) Image search: [Google]
ab4b4b46fb882d54421bee48eb152.jpg
140KB, 1199x739px
>>1039896
Yeah I'm a roadie, I was thinking about a CX bike for the trip but when I get back, I won't have much use for the bike.
I plan on getting 28c tires for whatever bike I end up getting.

Right now my top choices are probably a CAAD8 or a B-Twin bike/Boardman. Although if I have the money, I'll probably get a Canyong Endurace.
>>
>>1039844
this
>>
>>1039765
the boardman road sport has mounts for regular panniers
>>
Pinacle dolomite.
>>
>>1039933

Fair enough. I'd take the advice here on the axiom streamliner... I might get one myself

I've been able to fit a 32c marathon supremes in the front of a CAAD5 FYI --- but not in the rear. It definitely helped with urban riding vs. the 28c that was there before

raceblade fenders are an option

saddle is going to be my biggest concern for you, hope you are bringing something nice

I'd consider bringing pinned flat pedals for your temporary tour setup as well. SPD will be annoying on chill rides
>>
>>1040127
What's a good saddle? :S
>>
>>1039897
Idk man, if I spending $900, I might as well pay 89 more and get that Canyon bike.
>>
>>1040186
>>
>>1040186

Best touring saddles in the game are Selle Anatomica Titanico, Brooks B17 -- but I usually see them on bikes where the drops are nearly the same height as the saddle

Brooks swift? SMP TRK? Maybe those
>>
>>1040219
>Brooks swift
Having ridden both, the swift is definitely more comfortable on bikes with more saddle-to-bar drop.

B17 is a safe bet.
>>
>>1040256

I just lowered by bars past the 60mm threshold and my anatomica is slicing at my flabby thighs

I might try tying some leather shoelaces around it to pull the sides in
>>
>>1040186
There is no such thing as a good saddle. Every butt fits different saddles. For example i tour on a narrow race saddle (san Marco Concor), which normally isn't really proper for touring, but my butt just happens to really work with it.

Those
>>1040219
are classic touring saddles and good starting point (i would suggest trying an SMP extra first -not TRK-, since it's the cheapest and the one that fits the broadest range of morphologies). Expect to have to try several saddles before finding the right one though.
>>
>>1039933
CX bikes often have low bottom bracket drops which might not be so good for touring. Gravel/adventure bikes might be a better choice.
>>
>>1039747
>How dumb is it to buy a road bike with an endurance frame to go on a bike trip throughout some parts of Europe?
If you've got $$$ you'll be fine.
>>
>>1039747
Get a Salsa Vaya. It's great for touring but also great for cruising around the city, commuting, and riding for fun. Throw some 25mm slicks on it and it would even make a decent roadie. It's also perhaps the most fun bike I've ever ridden (and I've ridden a fuck of a lot of different bikes).
Except idk if you can get a Vaya in Europe. If not, get something similar.
>>
>>1039747
>I was thinking of getting some racks that don't need rack mounts and etc.
Just don't do this
If you must, get an "adventure bike" (or whatever the fuck marketing term companies use now). Basically steel/aluminum bikes that are pretty much endurance road bikes but they have rack mounts etc and a little more relaxed geo
>>
>>1040295
>CX bikes often have low bottom bracket drops which might not be so good for touring. Gravel/adventure bikes might be a better choice.

If by "low bottom bracket drops" you mean "less BB drop therefor a higher bottom bracket", yes.

Cyclocross bikes have very high BBs for more clearance hopping logs and shit on CX race courses. The main geo difference between a cyclocross racing bike and a {gravel/adventure/endurance/allroad} bike is that the latter has a lower bottom bracket, more at the height of a regular road bike.

Or put another way, an adventure bike is like a roadbike with clearance for wider tires, and slightly more relaxed headtube angle which is more composed over rough surfaces like on a CX bike.

Or an adventure bike is like a touring bike with slightly quicker steering due to shorter roadbike chainstays.

>>1040329
Yeah a Vaya would be a great choice for a light touring bike that's still fun to ride without a load.
>>
>>1040329
>>1040358
Hmmm there are Salsa dealers in Italy, HMMMMMMMMMMM.

Thanks for the pro tip anon, deff. on my list now and I'll even get to try it out irl before buying haha.
>>
>>1039747
Buy a touring frame. Get it properly fit and you will not regret it.
>>
>>1040186
Depends on your body, riding position etc. But do NOT buy into the Brooks meme. They're shit. Synthetic saddles are much nicer as long as you find a good one that works for you.
>>
>>1040188
Postage though
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.