[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bay Area’s Proterra lands more funding for California electric

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 1024x1024[1].jpg (65KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1024x1024[1].jpg
65KB, 1024x683px
Thoughts on this, /n/? Will electric buses make public transit (and America) great again?

>Although electric vehicles account for a tiny percentage of buses on the road nationwide, sales are growing. Proterra says it has sold more than 300 buses to 35 transit agencies across North America. And CEO Ryan Popple said every vehicle the company plans to build in 2017 is already spoken for.

>While it receives little public attention, the bus market is big. Public transportation agencies in the United States spent $2.3 billion on new buses in 2013, according to the American Public Transportation Association. And that figure does not include private corporate shuttles.

>Many cities, particularly in California, have adopted plans to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Electrifying buses can help, especially in a place like California, where a substantial portion of electricity comes from renewable power. That gives Proterra and its competitors — such as China’s BYD and GreenPower Motor Co. in Vancouver — a natural sales pitch.

>And while Proterra’s vehicles cost $749,000, compared with roughly $500,000 for a diesel-burning bus, the fuel savings will pay back the difference in two to six years, Popple said.

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Bay-Area-s-Proterra-lands-more-funding-for-10828953.php
>>
It depend on your bus network - if you already have a successful huge bus network running then it will cut pollution and nosie and etc, otherwise it is just something irrelevant
>>
>>1039584
This

US cities like to go and invest huge money into anything hip and then they wonder what went wrong.
Public transit is dead in 90% of USA. Tge rest where it still somehow works it still mostly goes to ... bad place. For instance NYC or Boston or Chicago. They got long years good working rapid rail systems, yet look at them. Falling into ruins. Nobody invested in their real improvement for decades.
>>
>>1039582
Can those batteries even last 6 years though? Seems like the standard service life of a CNG bus is about 12 years, so if the batteries need replacement within that period that needs to be added to the cost too.

Isn't CNG also dirt cheap in USA? It's not like transit agencies spend alot on that anyways.
>>
>>1039582
Electric buses can help to reduce noise and pollution in cities. But you need to do more then just this. E.g. ban cars from down town and paint bike lanes.
>>
I think that electric buses are the long-term future of the bus but I doubt they'll make us pt great again. My area would need not only electric buses, but a complete redesign of all major bus routes. Even then you'd still have to deal with them being full of drugged up beggars that won't leave you alone.
>>
>>1039700
How do the beggars get on without money
>>
>>1039703
They "pay" once with a broken bus pass and never get off.
It's very common here.
>>
I'm happy to see it. As a bus passenger I guess it doesn't change much, but the noise and fume reduction is really great when I'm a pedestrian or biker

Electric busses with battery-swapping instead of recharging would be even more awesome in my town. Our busses only travel like 25 miles max between stops at one of their large stations. They could get away with small batteries that are swapped out in a minute instead of waiting 10+ for a recharge.

I still think trolley busses are the best. Infinite power on tap
>>
>>1039713
without forcing everyone to takeoff at terminal?
>>
>>1039728
one of the reason why trolley bus were popular waa its price bit in recent decades regular buses become better choice and i think it's the reason why they're gone
>>
>>1039598
Very true.
I live in Nassau County, and our bus system has some extreme funding issues (rumor has it that 50-75% of service is to be pruned this year), but the county decided to go ahead and buy artics.
>>
King County Metro (Seattle Area) is, after completing successful testing throughout 2016, vying to have the biggest electric bus fleet in the nation.

Later today, a press conference will confirm details of the purchase of ~100 Proterra buses, to be delivered through 2020, starting in 2018.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/coming-soon-to-a-transit-route-near-you-more-battery-powered-electric-buses/
>>
>>1039899
You can run less service with the articulated busses
>>
>>1039582
If it helps replace trolleybuses and get rid of all that fucking catenary wire, good.
>>
>>1039899
Hope they put them on the N4.
>>
>>1040485
They're saying the N4 and N6 will get the artics (though with the N6, you'd have to make adjustments to the terminals in Jamaica and Hempstead).

>>1040435
Probably wouldn't be worth the maintenance budget (we're only getting five artics, and our system is so bad that 25-33% of bus trips don't run sometimes).
>>
>>1040486
>>1040486
I remember the old private companies that ran those lines. Bee Line handled the N1,2 3,4 and 5. Schenk had the buses that ran on Hillside Avenue to Roosevelt Field and on Northern Blvd to north shore Nassau.
>>
>>1040459
no, fuck you, trolleybuses are superior, they don't need to recharge nor carry the weight of the battery
>>
>>1040575
They're objectively worse. They are not only more expensive to buy, but their literally extensive infrastructure is more expensive to maintain, not to mention aesthetically terrible.
>>
>>1040542

Were the private buslines in Nassau any good? I only remember the services in Queens, since I was only born in the 90's.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.