[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trail / Enduro - Strive?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 12

File: ff4b635319a3b6969ddaab128616a(2).jpg (144KB, 1199x739px) Image search: [Google]
ff4b635319a3b6969ddaab128616a(2).jpg
144KB, 1199x739px
Hi guys, i want to buy my first full sus bike for mountain biking. I'm considering the Canyon Strive ( 4.0 Race, since it's the cheapest of them, still costs 2600 €). I want to ride it on the trails and offroad it at random locations in my country, so not just the well maintained trails, but maybe do some sort of mountain exploring like thingy, it's my hobby to just ride in the wilderness with my friends and just go around there, 'till we find our way back.

Question is, is the Strive a good choice for me? I've also considered Merida products, like the One-Twenty/Forty/Sixty series, but found the Strive a better option.

Also, are there any more considerable full suspension, Entry-enduro bikes for/under 2600 €i should consider?
>>
>>1039441
Suspension is a meme. Unless you are racing you don't need it. Fat soft tires is all you need
>>
>>1039444
I know suspension is not essential, but a nice convinience feauture. I want to buy an entry-level Enduro bike for a reason: as i said, there are days when i ride 6-7 hours off-road, uphill and downhill, jumps, etc. I want to upgrade from my Hardtail. Also, i totally respect your comment, i'm not saying full suspension is better or anything, i just hope it'll smoothen my ride a bit
>>
there is literally a thread for this
>>
>>1039444
Trail bikes should at least have a sus fork
>>
File: DSC03687 (Custom).jpg (3MB, 4000x2667px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03687 (Custom).jpg
3MB, 4000x2667px
>>1039444
You don't need fat soft tires, you can underbike trails on a race bike with 23s, i do, it's fun.

Rigid mtbs are the meme.

Modern full sus bikes are fucking incredible. Since when is cycling about what you need?

I'd love to be able to answer your question OP and i'll know more about decent mtbs when i'm not a poorfag. You should consider getting a higher spec used bike, 1-2 years old, that is being sold from lack of use not because it's been worn out. Also if you want to go on adventures with your mates start thinking about how you'd load it. There's lots of good ways. A backpack is an option but imo it's a terrible option.
>>
>>1039461
OP here, No worrieas about backpacks, i've got used to it. i have a Hydration/backpack combo, very useful, most of the things i bring fit right in.
By the way, is that a big ass bull on the pic?
>>
File: DSC03754 (Custom).jpg (1MB, 4000x2667px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03754 (Custom).jpg
1MB, 4000x2667px
>>1039463
naw just some bitch ass cow by an abandoned hut i stayed a night in

backpacks are all good, but you should really step your shit up if you're splashing cash around
>>
>>1039470
>by an abandoned hut i stayed a night in
Nice, wanna try it in the future

I know 2600 € is a serious amount of money, and i think that the Strive is a serious step-up from a cross-country hardtail. I think that would be money well spent for an entry-level enduro
>>
Do you care about price? I've heard good things about YT Industries Capra. It's pretty similar, 160 mm travel enduro bike but atm it costs only 2000€
>>
>>1039441

Get yourself a Giant Reign
>>
File: IMG-20160701-WA0003.jpg.jpg (399KB, 1296x972px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160701-WA0003.jpg.jpg
399KB, 1296x972px
Hey OP,
Don't listen to all the retards saying "You don't need that," firstly most of them have no idea what "real" mountain biking is and secondly who even gives a fuck about what you need? A bike like that gives you so much freedom to try stupid lines and go into stuff way too fast. There are a few different companies that make not-too-expensive bikes like this in Europe now, e.g.
Rose
Canyon
Radon
Solid bikes
YT
Propain

...And possibly a couple of others that I forgot. I have a Radon Swoop 170, it's basically the king in terms of downhill performance outside of actual 200mm downhill bikes. I recommend getting a bike with some kind of lockout/easy compression adjust because bikes of this class do take a little more effort to pedal up hills.

If you're looking at Canyon I would actually recommend the Spectral over the Strive. The Strive is just a little longer and very slightly slacker but for that you have to carry that pointless shapeshifter thing around all the time.
>>
File: f223eff3882fe2e695fbb5d93c6f0.jpg (137KB, 1199x739px) Image search: [Google]
f223eff3882fe2e695fbb5d93c6f0.jpg
137KB, 1199x739px
OP here,

>>1039867
Thanks, the Capra looks very promising for 2000 €, the only problem is that the official site says that they've run out of models in size L. All in all, if they'll replenish the stock then i'll definiately consider it.

>>1039883
Very nice indeed, but it says that the price is almost 3000 €, wouldn't mind it if i were a racer, but for hobby riding it's a bit much. But looks good indeed.

>>1039889
Yeah, i've heard that the Shapeshifter isn't worth it (i don't mind the 200 gramss plus, but i think that the plus cable hanging from the bar and the added mainenance is too much for roughly 1-2 degree slacker geometry.) So I would always use the Strive in the DH mode, And considering this, the Spectral looks the most promising for me. It still has that badass look of the Strive, yet without the Shapeshifter. I also like the YT Capra, but i definiately need an L sized frame.

Pic related is Spectral Al 5.0 EX, the most promising bike so far in my size.
>>
>>1039893
The Spectral looks really good. It's not so much the function or weight of the shapeshifter that would put me off the strive (although I would also have it in DH mode all the time, considering my Radon has a 64.8 degree HA), it's the fact that if it stops working - which has happened to quite a few of them - you have to send it back to canyon to get it fixed and obviously your bike is unridable in the interim

On the whole though you can't go that far wrong with bikes from those manufacturers, they're all pretty good. The Radon suited me best but it was a close call between it, a Capra, or a Rose soul fire
>>
>>1039930
Oh I forgot, Cube also have reasonably priced bikes of this type
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-stereo-140-hpa-race-27.5-black-n-flashyellow-466286/wg_id-802
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-stereo-160-hpa-tm-27.5-bermudablue-n-flashorange-479384/wg_id-802https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-stereo-150-hpa-race-27.5-grey-n-flashred-474666/wg_id-802

They're a bit ugly though
>>
>>1039441

maybe up your budget a bit and get a rocky mountain sherpa. it has some bikepacking capabilities and I think it fits exactly into your intended nieche
>>
>>1039930
I checked out the Radon Swoop 170, and it looks real nice. It sits at the perfect price range with 2400 €, and beautiful parts. i'll add it to my list.

>>1039931
Thanks, but they really aren't that attractive, and find them a bit overpriced, too. Also heard that Cube is a reliable brand, but i think that at this price range all of the mentioned bikes are reliable.

>>1039950
Real nice bike, but waaay out of my limits. Perfect buy for multi-day biking tho.

Thanks for all your help guys, made a lot of progress thanks to you. All in all, i think i'll choose from theese bikes (in price order) : YT Capra (i hope they'l have it in size L tho) , Canyon Spectral Al 5.0 EX, and the Radon Swoop 170 7.0. In my opinion all theese bikes are great chices for the riding i do, and again, thenks for helping out. If you have any other tips, don't be shy.
>>
>>1039889
You forgot Commencal. They have pretty good value too.
>>
>>1039444
Found the roadfag
>>
>>1039441
Are you sure you want an enduro bike? Enduro bikes are awesome, I love mine. But they're also heavy. If you're going to be riding steep techy downhill sections, or want to do a little bit of lift accessed dh, or just like getting gnarly in general, an enduro bike is perfect. If you want to do more mellow cross-country type riding then a trail bike is better. (like 120mm travel)

I don't really have any specific recommendations, but a lot of people really like Kona mountain bikes, so they might be worth checking into. Other people recommend going with one of the Big Four because they are supposedly better about warranty issues (Specialized, Giant, Trek, Cannondale) but maybe you don't want to be a faggot on a big name brand bike which I completely get. If I was in your place I'd definitely look into Kona though.
I've also heard Nukeproof is good but I think they're a quite small company which could be good or bad.
If you don't know exactly what you want, you can consider buying used. That way if a year from now when you have gotten a feel for mtbing, you decide you want a different type of bike, you won't have dropped so much money on a new bike. Pinkbike.com/buysell is great in the US for used mountain bikes. Doesn't look to be as big in Europe but there's still 15k listings in Europe so worth checking out

>>1039444
This guy is a fat bike shill/troll, ignore him
>>
>>1040119
*fatfag
>>
>>1039889
>lockout
THIS
Make sure to get something with lockout, OP. My enduro doesn't have lockout and I don't mind, but as long as it's readily available on the newer bikes,you might as well get it.
>>
"Enduro" is probably not the f/s bike you're looking for if you want to do 7 hr days in the mountains. If I were you I'd be looking at 29" wheel bikes in the 120mm travel range with a 69 degree head angle. Get something with mounts for at least 2 bottle cages.
>>
>>1040344
YT jeffsy pretty much suits, that, and is a very capable bike, and is more of an all day all rounder, which isn't tiring on the climbs, or if you have the bank a SC hightower is just as good.
>>
File: sisko-facepalm.jpg (11KB, 394x319px) Image search: [Google]
sisko-facepalm.jpg
11KB, 394x319px
>>1039444
>>
OP here again.

>>1040320
Yup, i don't really need 160 mil travel anyway. Want to buy a new bike anyway, around here (Hungary) there are very few used MTBs. And almost no full sus bikes.

>>1040322
Yeah, Lockout would be pretty nice, or at least a shock that has multiple modes.

>>1040344
2 bottle cages would be nice too, but i can do with 1. I ride with a backpack anyway.

>>1040354
The jeffsy AL is really promising, but i might even consider the Jeffsy AL Comp 2, it is really well equipped for 2000 €. But again, they don't have it in size L. They're probably manufacturing them in different sizes monthly.

They Jeffsy Comp2 looks the best to buy right now, but the Canyon Spectral 5.0 EX comes with a bunch of useful stuff for 2200 €, like a shock pump or a torque wrench, both of them i don't have now.
>>
>>1039441
I have a Spectral AL 6 and I've been happy, compared to my previous bike, a 600€ hardtail, this gives plenty of more confidence and ability to take on challenging routes. I assume my use for the bike is similar to yours OP, and while spectral was almost an overkill for me, I really like the extra capacity for possible future needs.
>>
>>1040496
You can get a better torque wrench and a shock for less than 200 easily.

Also is waiting a month or two really that bad?
>>
>>1040498
shock pump*
>>
File: 083.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
083.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
You can build a china carbon with better parts for around that price-just throwing it out there.
>>
>>1040518
Are you sure? Most of these direct sales German mtbs are cheaper than the total cost of the parts alone (if bought separately), without even including a frame
>>
File: fm156.jpg (229KB, 1000x661px) Image search: [Google]
fm156.jpg
229KB, 1000x661px
>>1040520
in US there are tons of "new take off" groupsets on ebay and a few retailers for really cheap. All inclusive I spent about $3k USD for a 12kg FS with all new parts. (I basically stole that MRP fork though b/c amazon fucked up pricing). The carbon frame only in USD is about $600. Yes you take risks on shipping and warranty but mine arrived in perfect condition.
>>
>>1040522
But are they as reliable as high end frames?
>>
File: WP_20160404_19_19_18_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160404_19_19_18_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
>>1040527
i did a fuckton of research and if you buy from hongfu/dengfu (others sell the same frames) yes they are- they are not copies of other frames but they are made in the same factories. I am not gentle on mine and its rock solid. The cons are external routing, short travel (im a manlet i only needd 100mm). Its very similar to a scott genius as far as geometry at 1/3 the cost.
>>
>>1040530
So THATS the mold they ripped, I knew it looked familiar but I couldn't place it.

It's very tempting but I'm still skeptical about the weaving and QA.

Custom paintjobs would also make this a very attractive option.
>>
>>1039893
i was going to suggest the spectral. i have the 2015 8.0 ex. its very capable and you get more spec wise at the same price as a strive.
>>
File: 10f25729841ceda9a62214c0d2492.jpg (129KB, 1199x739px) Image search: [Google]
10f25729841ceda9a62214c0d2492.jpg
129KB, 1199x739px
OP here, again.

>>1040498
You're most likely right, i've checked around.

>>1040536
Yup, the Spectral looks like a nice buy. I've also considered the Canyon Neuron Al 7.0, for 1600 € it also looks like a real nice buy. The difference is that the neuron is more like a XC bike, 120 mil travel all-around, with steeper geometry. But i also like riding trails, and a full-on trail bike with more travel/slacker geometry (like the Spectral, or the YT Jeffsy AL Comp 2) looks more capable. I still need to think about how much travel i need (160 mil is definiately an overkill for me). I also need to think about wheel size: i'm 185 cm and i think a 29er would fit nicely (plus the trails are kinda flowy)

By the way, do you guys think that the Neuron could run as a trail bike for me? (i'm not sure because of the XC style geometry) pic related.
>>
>>1040565
im 183cm and the 27.5 wheels are fine. get the 29er if you just want to truck over stuff but i think 27.5 is more fun. i think the mid travel (140mm) is gd for all round riding. saying that if you want less travel but slacker geometry just put in some offset bushings.
>>
>>1040522
> I spent about $3k USD
I would've guessed closer to half that, where did the other $2400 go?
>>
>>1040573
Yup, i've come to the same conclusion myself. i like to ride quite jumpy, and i think a 27,5 suits that better.
This is the only thing that put me off of the jeffsy, the 29" wheels. The bike is fippingly amazing, but the Spectral looks more playful to me.

So far, the Strive is still the leader. i like that the EX models (like the Spectral 5.0 EX) have no front derailleur, i like the concept of less is more.(i have a 2x on my hardtail, one less shifter would be nice on the handlebars)
>>
>>1040518

>Paying 3000$ for a shit spec fully

Somebody goof'd
>>
>>1040496
YT is out of stock of almost all bikes due to their 2017 range coming out.

but also have you checked out propain bikes who do build to order so you can customise the bike to how you want.
>>
>>1040579
It was closer to 2k actually. I factored in shoes, helmet, hitch rack, camelback, tools and kit. LBS also charged me $300 for assembly b/c brakes and dropper had to be bled.
>>
>>1040565
It also depends on your skill level and what you want to accomplish.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.