[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Roller Brakes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: roller brakes.png (27KB, 235x155px) Image search: [Google]
roller brakes.png
27KB, 235x155px
So I'm planning on buying a bike but it's got roller brakes instead of V brakes which I've used all my cycling life.

I cycle 8-10 miles daily mostly by road or sidewalk though I sometimes go via the canal. Inclines and declines aren't unreasonable

Am I in for a completely different experience with the roller brake? For the better or for the worse or possibly even unchanged
>>
dude, to be honest , only shit bikes have roller brakes.

they won't kill you and the bike is probably absolutly suitable for what you're going to do, but you could probably get a better bike for the same price
>>
>>1038986

Well I wanted a Dutch style bike (single or three speed) and I have no interest in fixies. Braking system for these kinds of bike seem to be coaster, roller or drum. With V brakes being rather rare from my searches and Drum brakes being only on the more pricier options. I've no interest in a coaster brake or going fixed
>>
>>1038988

as I said , they are fine.
and the dutch bike you want to get is probably quite fine for it's intended use.

they are super heavy tough, usualy and the geometry is arguable.
that's what I meant.

you could probably get a "decent" bike and it probably won't have coaster breaks.

but there is nothing wrong with getting a dutch style bike.

if you're up for alternatives you could hit the bbg.
although it's a meme , rigid 90s mtb do have theire merits.

but again , the bike you chose probably will serve you well enough , roller brakes or not.
>>
>>1038985

They're found on Republic Bikes dutch bikes

There is no reason to spend money on rollercam brakes. Only really acceptable if they came on a bike you got for free
>>
>>1038994

those bikes have coaster brakes on the rear. The ones I'm after are rollerbrake both front and rear

Pictured is what I'd call a reasonably priced option
>>
File: doubleroller.jpg (106KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
doubleroller.jpg
106KB, 1920x1080px
>>1039000

A picture showing both brakes
>>
Stop riding on the sidewalk
>>
>>1039003

Sometimes you have to especially with how cycle routes/paths are in my city but I've been riding on the road a lot more.
>>
File: pilkerss.jpg (280KB, 801x1054px) Image search: [Google]
pilkerss.jpg
280KB, 801x1054px
>>1039001
Kek those deli tires.are so shit.that the sidewall cracks after 2 months
>>
>>1038985
OP, are you the person from >>1037211? Why are you fixated on a heavy, single-speed memebike?
>>
>>1039060

I'm not fixated at all. The bikes not heavy by my standards. I've bought light bikes before but by the time I make them weatherproof and capable of hauling loads they wind up weighing the same as the so called heavy ones

As for single speed I only want it because I never use the myriad of speeds on offer usually defaulting to 2. Leisure and get me there quick. After riding single speed for a short time a 3 speed might be more up my alley but I see no advantage other than being the standard or something to going more than 3 speed for my purposes

I like the upright riding posture, the design and the promise of it being sturdy enough to give my grand kids at least the original frame
>>
>>1038985
I had em for years and i think they are fine for city riding. You can feather them and they work just as well in the rain/snow, you may come to prefer them to v-brakes.
>>
>>1039001

You can retrofit them to any old steel frame

according to the one bike I saw with that on it which might have not been safe
>>
I had put a roller brake on a nexus 8 hub i had for winter
then i couldn't be bothered to remove it when summer came
they work fine, they can lockup the wheel

theoretically, they'd need more maintenance than drum brakes cause you need to oil them once in a while but on a rear wheel i rarely use them anyways
they are modular, so you can put them on in winter, remove them in summer if you are motivated
they are a pain in the ass to change a tire, so just patch with the wheel on if you ever get a flat outside

even when the brakes are applied, the wheel is free for a couple of degrees, so you can rock them back and forth
doesn't feel very reassuring but no impacts to braking power

brake modulation seems like an S curve, a low plateau and a high plateau
>>
>>1039072
>sturdy
most of those dutch style bikes are really shitty despite being heavy and solid, sure the frame won't break, but everything else on it will
>>
>>1038988

I doubt you'll ever get fast or radical enough for brakes to be a problem
>>
>>1038985
You can improve the power/modulation by using non-compressible brake housing (like Odyssey BMX)
>>
>>1038985

You can improve the power/modulation by using non-compressible brake housing (like Odyssey BMX)
>>
>>1042015
Question

If I'm doing a lot of downhill loaded riding should I invest in hub based breaking systems as backups for goingndownhill?
>>
>>1042240
tandem riders use rear drum brakes as "drag brakes" for this purpose (also preventing rim overheating from extended brake usage)
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.