[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bike service = cuckoldry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 15

File: parktools.jpg (299KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
parktools.jpg
299KB, 1024x682px
>daily reminder that if you dont allow someone else to service your wife you shouldnt allow someone else to service your own bike

only exeption are:
1. suspension service and more complex tasks that require special equipment (like wheel building and frame fixing)
2. if you literally dont have time, but then you are only OK if you can manage/are knowledgeble to do those tasks yourself if needed be (I understand the importance of time=money but Ive ridden with people who ride for years and literally dont know how to index a basic 9 speed RD or change a flat - Im reffereing to that demographics i.e. yuppie scum)
>>
File: preuzmi (1).jpg (81KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
preuzmi (1).jpg
81KB, 800x800px
and this fix, if you take your bike to a mechanic to change a casette you are literally a cuck
>>
this thread is shit and op is a fag

>circa 2016
>not knowing how to build wheels

just end yourself
>>
>>1038757
Wheelbuilding is one of those cases where it's worth paying somebody to do it. A guy who builds wheels all day will make stronger wheel than me who would only needs to build wheels once every couple years.
>>
OP, you're completely right, all riders should learn how to do basic maintenance tasks and how to do simple things like fixing flats, because knowing how is important for fixing minor on-ride problems.

But try working in a bike shop for a while, it's not uncommon for customers to bring in bikes after attempting DIY repairs and failing miserably. Not everyone has the aptitude or willingness to learn how to fix things on a bike, or they might not have the space, funds, or desire to invest in all the necessary tools. There are plenty of cases where it makes sense for people to take their bikes for professional service, it's not necessarily a sign of laziness or personal failing. There are exceptional cases where it's truly pointless to pay for service (customer brings in a bike that's only ridden once per year for service, just needs dust wiped off and more air in tires), but those are vastly outnumbered by the times when you get a bike that's seriously broken because the customer put off service and ignored a small problem that could have been easily resolved or attempted a DIY fix.
>>
>not 3D printing your own garbon frameset
>not forging your own steel components

cukd'
>>
>>1038766
that can apply to everything lol

also
>changing wheels every two years
fucking casual
>>
>>1038753
I've never even allowed someone else to touch my bikes.
>>
>>1038753
>visit lbs
>see pile of bikes in for service haphazardly stacked together
>nope
Having LBS service your bike is a good way to get it all scratched up.
>>
>>1038773
That's like saying you're a cuck because you're fucking someone else's daughter. I wonder how the whole "it's bad if someone else fucks your daughter/sister" mentality came about. Isn't it supposed to work like that anyway? I'm al for some good incest but it's fucking stupid when fathers get mad about someone fucking their daughter. Wow, big fucking deal. It's not like that's how it's done anyway.
>>
File: preuzmi (1).jpg (2MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
preuzmi (1).jpg
2MB, 5184x3456px
>>1038757
>>1038766
>Wheelbuilding is one of those cases where it's worth paying somebody to do it.

this guy gets it, principles of wheel building are easy to understand but becoming good at it is another ball game. Home mech often overtight the spokes and small details like that

>>1038770
>There are plenty of cases where it makes sense for people to take their bikes for professional service, it's not necessarily a sign of laziness or personal failing.

I agree, one of the few times I bring my bike to a mechanic for some easy fixes but I usually learn from them a way how to do the same fix better by using this or that grease or what have I been doing suboptimal so to say.
My first attempt at bleeding Shimano brakes reulted in destroying the caliper by overtighthing the open/close bolt but Ive learned from it, same goes for first fork change when I forgot to remove crownrace from the steerer tube. I even serviced my own fork MArz DJ3, but more complex stuff especially with suspensions is best to leave to a pro.

In general one should aim at mowing its own law and raise his own children insted of hiring a nanny, I despise fags who pay someone else to do that if they can do it themselves. Servicing your own bike is a philosophical statement.
>>
also, anyone noticed how the taste for bikes/componenents compeltly changes after you start servicing your own bikes?
>>
>>1038766
Assuming you can find someone who builds wheels on a regular basis. Last wheel I had built at LBS broke 3 spokes on the first ride. They didn't do any stress relief so the first 15 feet of riding sounded like breaking glass as all the spokes straightened themselves.
>>
>>1038753
>suspension service
>wheel building

Neither of those are complex you are a duck

>frame fixing
Bike shop don't do that anyway they send it off.
>>
Lots of money, I have.
Lots of time, I have not.
Derailleurs, brakes, tires, cleaning, and lubrication are the extent of what I'm willing to spent my valuable time doing. If it's not one of those things, it's getting sent off to the local shop. I'm a regular with them and get excellent service, it's great.
>>
>>1038817
>>suspension service
>>wheel building
>Neither of those are complex you are a duck

>air shock service
>simple

also regarding wheel building >>1038766 >>1038794

>>1038882
>Derailleurs, brakes, tires, cleaning, and lubrication are the extent of what I'm willing to spent my valuable time doing.

this is OK in my book, my OP post was reffering mostly to people who dont know absolutly anything about their own equipment (not to mention that their expensive drivetrain is covered with 3 layers of grit all the time), not the people who simply trade money for time.
>>
>>1038799
You mean like giving up brifters and hydro disc brakes?
>>
>>1038802
>not going to the ancient LBS with the old bitter guy who won't even make eye contact with you but will build you the best goddamn wheel ever
>>
>>1038753

When I go:

1. Need someone to build to true a wheel

2. Need headset pressed in... DIY method if I really don't care about the bike

I'm not MGTOW but the one time I top a bike in to get cabled up they did a terrible job on the cable runs and the bar tape. I came in and what looked like a 20 year old punk girl was doing it. I'd be shocked if the girl had ever owned anything but a bikes direct fixie. Fuck bike shops and fuck women
>>
>>1038971
>MGTOW
What has giving up dating got to do with bike maintenance?
>>
>you're a cuck if you let someone else service your wife
>only exceptions are
>1. shit that needs special equipment (bbc)
>2. If you literally don't have the time to fuck your wife it's OK to let others do it as long as you know how to do it yourself
>>
>>1038753
Woah.
You went quite overboard with your claims.

And your exception logic is quite upside down.
If servicing is some kind of achievement to you, why let others do the most interesting stuff, like suspension and wheelbuilding.

Using your analogy you won't let your lbs cuddle your bike, but you will let them anal it? What in the fuck.

asshat/10

>>1038757
>>1038817
Thank you

To all the fags having 2nd thoughts about building their own wheels
It's not fucking black magic.
Apart from the basic knowledge of spoke patterns, and not fucking up spoke length calculations
you just need to be diligent, tension proportionally a bit at a time,
observe the gauges and check tension with a meter until spec is met.

I have diy built less than 10pairs and all are just fine. (incl. a DH set)
>>
>bike mechanic
>Mechanic

Lol tree surgeons amirite?
>>
>>1039010

Kekkles
>>
>>1039012
>If servicing is some kind of achievement to you, why let others do the most interesting stuff, like suspension and wheelbuilding.

touche! but joke is on you,I ride a rigid and never build my wheels since I buy them complete

>check tension with a meter until spec is met.

tension meter? that stuff is too expensive.

>>1039010
good post, wherever is cuck there is bbc
>>
>>1038766
>>daily reminder that if you dont allow someone else to service your wife you shouldn't allow someone else to service your own bike

Oh boyy Do I have bad new 4u.
Ive seen my coworkers and employees build wheels with uneven tension af and even some with height untrue-ness.

You gotta sift through the shit LBS's to get a good wheelbuilder.
>>
>>1039013
FUCK YOU!
I'll have you know that changing the inner tire and greasing up the chains have made me VERY RICH!

t. tube change Engineer.
>>
>>1039025
>touche! but joke is on you,I ride a rigid and never build my wheels since I buy them complete
If the joke was one me, it would mean you chose an inferior bike to avoid visiting lbs?

lbs lends me the meter

Besides if you calculate how much you would pay a lbs to build your wheels you would compensate the meter cost in a few sets just fine.
>>
>>1039025
>tension meter? that stuff is too expensive.
90s meme bike poorfag detected
>>
>>1039032
Dat knockoff price
HOREY SHET ITS FREE

Also I live in based Slovenia home of Unior and visit the factory store yearly for mad discounts.
>>
>>1039032
>90s meme bike poorfag detected

nah, I have a newer mtb bike, I might purchase the tensionmeter, tought it was more expensive
>>
no but in all seriousness there is nothing difficult about building and truing wheels, you just spend the initial 100-200 bucks of tools to do it and that's it start building exactly what you want and usually cheaper or much better quality
>>
>>1039034
>Also I live in based Slovenia home of Unior

you make fantastic tools Janez, very expensive doe
>>
>>1039038
I don't blame them, their production machinery is up to date.
Modern industrial equipment is srs bzns.
>>
>>1039040
>I don't blame them, their production machinery is up to date.

indeed it is, Unior is on level with Parktools in terms of quality if not better, but often more expensive than PT. Svaka čast!
>>
>>1038770
>invest in all the necessary tools
let's list things best left to experienced mechanics. Here's my first one -

1. correctly torquing fasteners when carbon composites are involved... because the old days of "just make it as tight as you can" can cause severe damage.

2. attaching cables with the wrong ferrules, poorly cut wire, poorly cut housing, too long, too short, incorrect lubricant, etc... usually goes along with "I put it together and I have all these extra parts, do I need them?"
>>
>>1039042
Correct torque of everything not just garbon.

>old days of "just make it as tight as you can"
Meme misinterpretation of old days
Ask any oldfag tradesman, "everything with feeling" will be the answer.

> 2. ...
sloppy joes need not apply/will never learn

All your points can be summed up in 2 words
Dilligency and competence.
>>
>>1038960
Yes, you are correct, neglecting your bicycle is a waste of time and money. Same as anything else that needs regular maintenance.
>>
>>1038960
ive done both of those things they are pretty simple. I built the wheels on my touring bike and they have lasted 6000 miles so far. yes it takes an expert to get the wheels right first try, but all you have to do to have a solid wheel yourself is adjust the spokes after the first couple of rides. the stresses will slowly work themselve out and you will have a good wheel.
>>
>>1038753
>you dont allow someone else to service your wife
>2017
>Monogamy
Kek.
>>
>>1039194
Sweden pls go.
>>
i fix my own bike because i hate having to deal with pricks like OP
>>
>>1038757
Yeah seriously. BMXers have been building their own wheels for ages. And they have to be durable.
>>
File: 1.jpg (333KB, 1280x1263px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
333KB, 1280x1263px
>>1038960
>this is OK in my book
Well, nobody really gives a shit about your book anon...
>>
>>1039253
>Well, nobody really gives a shit about your book anon...

>implying Im not a world famous writer that posts anonymously on a taiwanees bike fixing imageboard
>>
>>1038757
lmao i'm this guy and I just left my bike in a shop

there's an exception:

when your bike breaks down big time and you're far away from home

i wish I could fix it myself though but I'd need some tools that i don't usually take on rides

the rear mech got fucked big time bc i did something retarded
>>
File: RD2 messenger.jpg (92KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
RD2 messenger.jpg
92KB, 400x400px
Ive got the chance of getting a second hand Sugino rd2 messenger 42t crankset, its in really good condition, going really cheap in local ads and its also in the gearing I like.

What I want to know is if any anon has had experience with those?

>pic related but in 42t
>>
>>1040050

overpriced overhype hipster shit.
>>
>>1040050
bretty good; sugino used to make cranks for suntour before shimano became the goliath of the industry and squeezed out jp competition
if the price is right, go for it
>>
>>1040050
>>1040201

you are getting memed on
>>
>>1040050
>What I want to know is if any anon has had experience with those?
The first thing worth noting is that they're a road double being sold as a fixed gear crank and as such you wont get a perfect chainline with them if you're running a single speed frame with a 120mm rear spacing.
>>
>>1040200
>overpriced
How about you take a minute to look something up before you automatically dispense 10-year old meme responses in an attempt to look edgy.
>>
>>1040200
>2017
>He thinks hipsters are still riding fixies
40keks.jpg
>>
>>1040246
Poor ones are
>>
>>1040261
>poor
>hipster
I know it's really exciting for you to be able mash the word "hipster" into a text field when replying to posts, but you should probably figure out what a hipster is before continuing to make yourself look totally uninformed.
>>
>>1040261

actually 90s rigid MTB with slicks is the poorfag meme these days
>>
>>1040273
>Serotta MTB
>Poor fag bike
40kekkles.
>>
>>1040264
Settle down, hipster
>>
>>1040276
>[insert expected response here]
>>
>>1040222

It is criminally overpriced made in china (oops Japan) square taper garbage with"brand" name slapped on it. Generic alu single speed cranks will work the same.

You fucking hipster.
>>
>>1040283
You sure sound upset.
>>
>>1040283
Have you ever owned a pair?
>>
>>1040286

You sound insecure about your purchase decision.

>>1040287

Why would I own non NJS approved garbage?
>>
>>1040274
>>Serotta MTB
>>Poor fag bike
>40kekkles.

You are full of shit
>>
>>1040279
I'm stealing this response
>>
>>1040273
>Justins-Serotta

that bike is so lit like totally rad not even ironic

>>1040293
>Serotta MTB

is that like Colnago of 90s mtb?

guys, should I go for pic rel? looks like shimano 100gs group, biopace chainrings, oldstyle trigger shifter etc. 85$
>>
>>1040366
Fuck yes
>>
>>1040366
Nice thumb
>>
File: COLAGNO.jpg (255KB, 1742x1255px) Image search: [Google]
COLAGNO.jpg
255KB, 1742x1255px
>>1040366
the colnago of 90s mtb is colnago
>>
File: COLANGO.jpg (138KB, 1742x601px) Image search: [Google]
COLANGO.jpg
138KB, 1742x601px
>>
File: c7.jpg (410KB, 1742x2485px) Image search: [Google]
c7.jpg
410KB, 1742x2485px
>>1040366
>85$
yeah man snap that shit up, i bet all the bearings are dry and shot to hell though.
>>
>>1040377
>dat front der. stump
>>
>>1038770
>all riders should learn how to do basic maintenance tasks and how to do simple things
How can I learn?
>>
>>1041728
Personally I would look up videos on what makes each part work, then when you have down time, take parts off of your bike and reinstall them, one part at a time and check after each part that It is working fine. That should give you the information and experienced tailored for your bike.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (60KB, 760x380px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
60KB, 760x380px
>>1041728
>How can I learn?

primarily yt (look up ParkTool channel, its the best layed down advice) and sheldon brown for mroe details , learn on the cheaper stuff. After a while it become quite meditating...you can listen to music or podcast when you are regreasing hubs or truing a whille for instance.

but, once again, take time into factor, you dont have to do everything by yourself and expect to mess a few things up now and then since there is a learning curve, but everyone in the end should be capable of doing it on their own.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.