[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alloy frames w/third bottle mount

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

File: wbcage4.jpg (169KB, 1046x700px) Image search: [Google]
wbcage4.jpg
169KB, 1046x700px
I want the zippiest, cheapest frame I can find that can haul water under the downtube

Salsa Warbird has it but I'd prefer some cheap options too

I like doing all-day rides with a light load of food and water and not stopping in civilization every 3 hours
>>
>>1038690

PS by zippy I mean not some long assed touring frame, don't need panniers --- want aero so no fork mounted goon jobs
>>
First find: Special Ed Diverge --- cheapest version is $1,400
>>
File: 31WFKDBPKKL._SX300_.jpg (6KB, 300x232px) Image search: [Google]
31WFKDBPKKL._SX300_.jpg
6KB, 300x232px
For longer rides I carry one of these 2L water bags in my trunk bag to refill my bottles. Filled right to the top it is the equivalent of 3 large water bottles. I don't always fill it up all the way, and when empty it takes up very little space.
>>
>>1038692

okay turns out there is no third bottle mount on this baby

>>1038708

My goal is to be pannier-free. I did one century ride where my panniers felt like wind sails. I want to go framebag mode, and I want a big water bottle under the downtube to save space
>>
File: hydrorear-25.jpg (374KB, 800x558px) Image search: [Google]
hydrorear-25.jpg
374KB, 800x558px
>>1038690

I really dig downtube bottle cages but I wouldn't get a new frame for one.
especially if you want to do sportive riding.
most frames that have the third bottlecage are touring bikes ot atleast light touring bikes.

adding a bottle to your bike is no rocket science. you could try somehting like those saddlemounted cages that tri riders use
>>
>>1038690
Hose clamps for $1.
>>
>>1038713
>I did one century ride where my panniers felt like wind sails. I want to go framebag mode
I feel you. Panniers suck hardcore if you have even the slightest headwind.

Does it have to be alloy and a frameset rather than a complete bike? What about a Spesh Sequoia?
>>
>>1038723

I have a set of these... they are great but I am a Kleen Kanteen memer and the rattling is too much. Maybe time for beer koozie collabo

It is insane to buy a new frame for just this but my current Nashbar touring frame has the third mount -- but sucks in every other way

>>1038732

I am leaning this way. Too much chasing bad money w/good with all these upgrades.
>>
>>1038750

I think it really depends on your goals.
I think it's either something touring oriented like the sequoia or something performance oriented like the diverge.

one has bottlemounts and one is really quick / light
>>
iron alloy?
>>
>>1038778

I'm sold if the diverge... a 2018 model that I assume won't have zerts fork cancer
>>
>>1038909

yeah, i feel you.
those are weird.
>>
>>1038723
Are there any cheap versions of these? I've been looking all around eBay and AliExpress and I only seem to be fine overpriced shit.
>>
File: nigga.jpg (94KB, 892x724px) Image search: [Google]
nigga.jpg
94KB, 892x724px
Do you really ride in places with no taps for 2 hours stretches? No one will ever refuse to fill up two water bottles for you. It's nice to stop and ask at houses for water.

There's a million ways to attach cages without bosses too.

Or just get a revelate tange unless you're a manlet and put some bladders in it.

>>1038750
>stainless bottles
Man... I'm sure nearly everything you do is stupid.
>>
You can also just bend most metal cages to fit any PLASTIC 1.5l+ bottle. My Elite Ciusi cages are a few years old and they've been bent so many times for different random bottles without breaking.
>>
>>1038690
>the zippiest, cheapest frame I can find
it's definitely something mid range, used and old, not whatever 4130 taiwan garbage that has the bosses you're being anal about.
>>
File: zuhHCQV.jpg (1020KB, 1848x2784px) Image search: [Google]
zuhHCQV.jpg
1020KB, 1848x2784px
>>1038723
be gone with ye tri faggotry.

triathletes are scum
>>
>>1038958
>Do you really ride in places with no taps for 2 hours stretches?
Not OP but yes
>>
>>1038951

Op here,i got mine on AliExpress... $3? I think. Il send a link later
>>
>>1038958

1. Enjoy your xenoestrogen you ignorant pleb

2. Going door to door asking people for water is fucking retarded and poor planning on your part.
>>
Okay here's what I'm going to do.

Two bikes:

First: wait for 90s cannondale touring bike frame on eBay, move parts to it.

Second: Special Ed Diverge or a Jamis Lombard
>>
>>1038969
>xenoestrogen
isnt that the monster in alien
>>
>>1038732
>panniers felt like wind sails
>want to go framebag mode
Just a little bit of side wind to make Anon fly. AHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY!
>>
>>1038723
>saddle mounted bottle cages
Perfect for when you really want to taste some of your own farts with every sip.
>>
>>1038690
Why not just get a jersey with back pockets
>>
>>1039111
trifags love the taste of their own farts
>>
>>1038969
>muh xenoestrogens
yet you are still drinkng water in the first place.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/birth-control-in-water-supply/
face it there is no escape just becume a nu-male like everyone else and stop fighting it goy.
>>
>>1039151
>>1039108
>>1038958

Educate yourselve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpzCtCMEY3E
>>
File: DSC03835 (Custom).jpg (3MB, 4000x2667px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03835 (Custom).jpg
3MB, 4000x2667px
>>1039154
i aint watchin dat
>>
File: my baiku.jpg (659KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
my baiku.jpg
659KB, 2000x1500px
>>1038690
Why not saddle mount cages? I use the Minoura mounting bracket and the Profile Design Kage (other cages will eject the bottles when you hit bumps if they're mounted behind the saddle; the Kage with the elastic band grips the bottles so they stay in).
>>
File: 2017-01-17 17.24.13.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-17 17.24.13.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Op here

I went and bought a 1991 cannondale st600 with a third mount

I should have bought a diverge instead but the heart wants what the heart wants
>>
C'dale is a good buy, but you also could have bought a twin-bottle cage that mounts to the handlebars
>>
>>1038690
>alloy
Why? You're planning to strap nearly two kilos of water to it - what does it matter if the frame is an extra two or three hundred grams?
>>
Not cheap, but Niner RLT-9, though I'm not positive that the AL version has the third set of mounts.
>>
>>1042096
Chrome-Moly is an alloy :^)
>>
>>1042100
And you're too autistic to understand context.
>>
>>1042103
You're the one who assumed op meant aluminum when he said alloy, or you are expecting us to assume what you are talking about when you start trying to bash on "alloy" for being lighter weight
>>
>>1042095

This is my third MUSA cannondale now. I love the brand. Middle ground between retrogrouch touring bike and weight weenie... But not precious enough for me to worry about running it into the ground or keeping it period correct
>>
>>1042096

I agree the weight doesn't matter a lot when you are carrying a load but I like to take the bike out without a load too.

Surly and soma frames are cool but if be paying $300 more for 3lbs? of extra weight.. worth the risk to buy and old cannondale imho
>>
Giant Revolt is light alloy, comfy, sporty Geometry, and has 3 cage mounts. Also can clear 50mm tires.
>>
>>1042115
Fair play to you... did it have the grip-shifters?
>>
>>1042108
Yes, that's what inferring from context means, autismo. And no, I wasn't bashing lower weight. I was saying it didn't seem relevant in the context. Take a chill pill and stop sperging.
>>
>>1042117
A surly lht is absolutely worth it if you understand you need to load it up with at least front rear racks and panties just to get it handing good.

Also for the love of god, full coverage fenders. Fit to tyre size.

I use a surly riding 32 Marapros for rainy excursions. It has ascent full coverage fenders that keep the drive train working great.
>>
>>1038690
BTW, you'll notice the surly in photo has 2 racks 2 full fenders 3 bottles 1 seat post bag 1 disgust top tube bag

My surly has 2 tyre levers and a spare tube in one bottlecage, along with a bottle. Throw some co2s in a pannier set and you can be back at 120 in no time.

Also a lht is versatile enough that you can use it for almost anything.
>>
>>1042238
>you need to load it up with at least front rear racks and panties just to get it handing good.

I realize that was an autocorrect cock-up, but the mental image is making me laugh like a dipshit
>>
>>1042147
>Fair play to you... did it have the grip-shifters?

Yes it did, but the left (FD) was a little bashed up

I doubt that they are worth anything but I've carefully stored them away in zip-lock bags

They really weren't all that bad compared to bar-end shifters, but very ugly and took up too much room in the drops
>>
File: water bike.jpg (39KB, 537x356px) Image search: [Google]
water bike.jpg
39KB, 537x356px
>>1038690
>zippy
>cheap frame
>haul all the water you want

Here you go thirsty boy, just fill the frame with water and you'll have as much as you need.
>>
>>1038713

Put the bladder in the framebag, like bikepackers do. Undertube bottles get shit all over them anyway.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.