[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will the bulldog nose ever make a comeback?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: Atlantic Coast Line Champion.jpg (949KB, 1526x974px) Image search: [Google]
Atlantic Coast Line Champion.jpg
949KB, 1526x974px
Since the GE Genesis and Superliner equipment is nearing the end of it's useful life and are widely regarded as ugly, maybe Amtrak and private services like Brightline should do an aesthetic upgrade and build their new locomotives with the bulldog nose that once graced American trains.

>inb4 costs

If All Aboard Florida was willing to spend millions on making their Siemens Chargers look like bullet trains, I don't see why giving the new fleet the same makeover shouldn't be feasible.
>>
I don't see a reason why making another bulldog nosed loco would be more expensive than any other cowled design, especially now with stuff being made with fiberglass ends.

However I still don't think they'd ever do it. Nothings stopping anyone from producing a classic looking car, but no one does cause no one wants to buy a new car that looks like it's 50 years old. And I know joe schmoe at the car dealership =/= a nationalized railroad but still.. they have an appearance they want to keep up as a business.

THAT SAID I personally hate the new passenger locomotive designs coming out now. And I'm very glad to see Amtrak is bringing back Phase 3.
>>
>>1037348
>And I'm very glad to see Amtrak is bringing back Phase 3.

Aren't they just doing that for their new Viewliner equipment and their East Coast locomotives?
>>
A more streamlined nose should provide better aerodynamics meaning they will go faster for the same energy invested.
>>
>>1037420
Aerodynamics are not a large concern on trains traveling 60 mph. Especially not when it now means you need specialized manufacturing and new safety testing.
>>
File: member? .jpg (31KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
member? .jpg
31KB, 630x630px
>>1037348
>Nothings stopping anyone from producing a classic looking car, but no one does cause no one wants to buy a new car that looks like it's 50 years old.

Let me tell you about a little something called "memberberries".

Besides, as you mentioned Amtrak is already trying to rebrand itself by switching back to the Phase III paint scheme because everyone hates Phase IV and V. Although frankly, I think the best choice would be to go back to Phase I and the bright colored interiors of the 70s. Giving their new locomotives the bulldog nosed cowl would be an added bonus.
>>
File: coast_starlight03.jpg (76KB, 620x381px) Image search: [Google]
coast_starlight03.jpg
76KB, 620x381px
>>1037348
>>1037457

Make Amtrak Great Again
>>
>>1037458
Beautiful 2bh. Love those passenger F units. Surprised that one doesn't have dual headlights, though.
>>
File: BN_ABBA_Directors_Special_s2.jpg (272KB, 1000x657px) Image search: [Google]
BN_ABBA_Directors_Special_s2.jpg
272KB, 1000x657px
F units are best units.
>>
Me on the left
>>
>>1037356
Are they? Damn. Well still..
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.