[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some of the top fixie brand bikes under $800.99 dollars.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10

File: -8711416421558134682.jpg (176KB, 428x640px) Image search: [Google]
-8711416421558134682.jpg
176KB, 428x640px
What are some of the top fixie brand bikes under $800.99 dollars.
>>
>>1037242
>fixie brands
I guess the top brands are the ones with ´´fix/fixie´´ as a part of the name.
>>
why are the handlebars so short? just want to make it as dangerous as possible?
>>
>>1037250
Someone who rides a trackbike on the street loves the danger, especially when they get squeezed to death by an upcoming train because their skidskills are just as bad as their taste in bikes
>>
>>1037250
Yes, that's also the reason for the lack of brakes and bar grips/tape
>>
>>1037242
Who cares, mister Late To The Party, fixies are a dying fad, and unless it's an actual track bike and you're an actual track rider you look like an idiot on those silly things. Get a real bike.
>>
The "build your own from old 10 speed or buy real track bike" brand

YOU FUCK
>>
File: shilling.jpg (222KB, 1024x678px) Image search: [Google]
shilling.jpg
222KB, 1024x678px
the Mercier Kilo TT is a pretty bog standard no-frills choice for a fixie/track/tarck/hipster sled.
Here are some pros and cons that I just farted out for you. BikesDirect.com gives me $5 every time I do this.

PROS:
It has a pretty reasonable price point for a complete bike (typically around $400 USD) My local CL always seems to have one or two used too.

Comes with one set of H20 bosses

Drilled for front and rear brakes (debatable pro, but I think that it takes nothing from the bike while adding versatility)

The Mercier comes with a nice lugged fork crown

The bike has a 1" headtube, so you could convert it from threadless headset to a more attractive threaded setup (gonna cost money tho).

Riding a fixed gear is fun

CONS
Stock parts are mostly made of cheese

I have read about (but I haven't personally seen) some weird QC issues with BD bikes. All of the BD bikes I have worked on seemed fine, but weren't exactly glowing specimens of exemplary craftsmanship.

That 1" threadless fork steerer means that getting stems can be a real hassle (more reason to go threaded)

Bikes are assembled poorly when they are mailed to you. Spend the time or money to assemble it properly. Most bike co-ops will have all of the tools and know-how to make sure you assemble it properly.

Finally, the biggest cons is that people on a chinese cartoon website will claim that you are some flavor of faggot for riding it and having fun on your bike.

I also recommend checking out your local CL, FleaBay, and whatnot. I have scored some cool stuff that way. My friend just picked up a sweet lugged Viner track frame from the 70's for $225. Deals are out there.
>>
>>1037242

you are way late.

anyway to safe you years of bad investments and uncertainty.
get a dolan pre cursa if you want to ride fixed and be hardcore. if you only have super basic friends this probably wont work.

get a semi decent roadbike from the 80s (ask the bbg) and a some cheap flip flop wheels and ride ss.
>>
I bought a fuji feather

it's pretty shit but it works and was cheap as shit
>>
>>1037242
>fixie
>>1037279
>lack of brakes

Look very closely at the rear hub. Looks like another coaster brake bike pretending to be a fixie. I would much rather have one of those since they work better than fixed "braking" and I don't ride fixed anyway.
>>
I was watching the 2008 NAHBS on YouTube and lolling at all the fixies and SS

How long until our 40mm tire adventure drop bar bikes are getting laughed at??

Really makes you think

Little known fact: riding fixed gave Sheldon Brown AIDS
>>
>>1038907
>tfw I had a SS bike in 2008
>tfw I have a drop bar adventure bike now
Both times I got them from a sale for a good price and learned they are memebikes later
>>
>>1038907

the key difference is that advanture bikes are a actual niche and usuable bikes.

I'm pretty sure many people will ditch them and hop onto somehting new but I'm also pretty sure that they will stay as a niche product with a certain clientel.

fixies on the other hand didn't really have a real prurpos and where some kind of gateway drug to bikes for many people. I think normal street fixies and 80% of ss only work if you really don't know shit about bikes.

I think people really outgrew fixies.
>>
>>1038947
Fixies are for rugged daily use (delivery) or for very flat commutes. Which happens to describe my needs. They are very niche and should not be as popular as they are, but racing road bikes are very niche a should not be as popular as they are either. A good touring bike or even rigid MTB's should cover most peoples needs completely yet these are not very popular. The bike market will always be driven by ridiculous trends.
>>
>>1038947
I want a fixie to use in case my road bike develops a problem right before work and I don't have time to look at it.

Fixies go forever as long as they're lubed. I actually really want a belt drive fixie to make it even easier. Maybe a geared rear hub but that's a bit expensive for a throwaway bike.
>>
File: c4efd91cee3a6c97ae9603782745abec.jpg (226KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
c4efd91cee3a6c97ae9603782745abec.jpg
226KB, 667x1000px
>>1038907
My 'adventure' bike would probably make a nicer road ride than any of my reasonably nice oldschool (531c, tange, oria) road frames, even with all the concessions for versatility. All it'd really need is some wheels that you cant thrash on singletrack or take off curbs with 50kg of gear.

Let the meme end and i can drop some grams on this sweet sweet whip.

I STILL want the rad fixie that i got into road cycling 10 years ago wanting and never ended up getting. Probably an allum track frame or a used high end 'fixie' frame like a histogram or a conversion from an old race bike. With weight weenie parts. It has to fall into my lap though, i aint paying what it's worth or getting something which doesn't hold up against my other bikes. Definitely would not buy one new. There's no new drivetrain to speak of and why buy a new uncrashed frame that you're probably crashing all the time just fucking around?
>>
File: 98cfa62b2e_1.jpg (86KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
98cfa62b2e_1.jpg
86KB, 480x720px
>>1037254
Have you not seen the latest MASH movie? 780mm mtb bars are literally the meme of fixies now. Or at least last year it was. Now when Dodici is shutting down and Cinelli fired MASH team the fad finally seems to show signs of dying.

Bikepacking is the new fixie
>>
File: RD2 messenger.jpg (92KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
RD2 messenger.jpg
92KB, 400x400px
Ive got the chance of getting a second hand Sugino rd2 messenger 42t crankset, its in really good condition, going really cheap in local ads and its also in the gearing I like.

What I want to know is if any anon has had experience with those

>pic related but in 42t
>>
File: IMG_1878 (Custom) (2).jpg (3MB, 4500x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1878 (Custom) (2).jpg
3MB, 4500x3000px
>>1040048
Unless it's a retro bike, or you're a retrodouche (my excuse), iunno why anyone would put themselves through the headache of square taper any more
>>
>>1040054
you just need the right tool to remove the bb, no head ache involved
>>
File: IMG_2440 (Custom).jpg (1MB, 2560x1562px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2440 (Custom).jpg
1MB, 2560x1562px
>>1040062
They're way more likely to creak and you're torquing shit to like 45nm +

There isn't even a consensus on how to install them and there's all the bullshit about the bolt loosening and the taper enlarging.
>>
File: IMG_2214 (Large).jpg (267KB, 1620x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2214 (Large).jpg
267KB, 1620x1080px
>>1040062
Also for me that right tool is a campy tool which many bike shops don't have and a huge adjustable wrench neither of which i carry around. When i ford a river and my new centaur bb clicks for the next few hours, it's scary.
>>
>>1040062
I think he means loose-ball cup-n-cone style, not the ez-mode Shimano cartridge ones.
>>
>>1040147
iunno my new campy bb is a cartridge unit and i like the crank so much that if the taper wasn't worn i'd look into a phil or skf ISO cartridge bb for it.

Cartridge st or cup and cone either way its extremely oldschool tech. It's getting to almost be like running a cottered crank
>>
>>1040054
Because square taper is the only way to find cranks with interesting bcd combinations such as 46/30.
>>
>>1040064
Says the guy using ultra-creaking press it garbage.
>>
>>1040154
I'm using campagnolo square taper.

That pro-lite crank pictured runs on a std hollowtech II threaded bb.
>>
>>1040153
bcd is the spider the rings bolt to not the tooth count on the rings, and shimano external bearing cranks have some pretty close ratios with the CX and mtb doubles available.

Getting the 53/39/28 i run ST would be hard with a modern crank but i have a spare deore 48/38/28 which is close.
>>
>>1037310
>Kilo TT
This. Have yet to find anything equal to it in price vs quality.
>>
>>1040152
>Cartridge st or cup and cone either way its extremely oldschool tech. It's getting to almost be like running a cottered crank
Ah, that's the extreme comparison I love /n/ for!

I'm in the square taper camp, admittedly because I have a soft-spot for 90s MTB cranks, but mostly it has to do with riding conditions; external BBs have a laughably short lifespan in a place like Seattle. But really it all boils down to preference, ride what you like!
>>
>>1040231
>external BBs have a laughably short lifespan in a place like Seattle
Why is that?
>>
>>1040233
Because riding during the rainy season in Seattle is like having your bearings and drivetrain sprayed with wet sand on a daily basis.
>>
>>1040236
This. Its all ground water here

Hell i have ground paneers, nothing else will stop it. Full ground touching fenders
>>
>>1040152
>>1040064
>>1040054
>>1040158
sounds like your drawing this conclusion from experiences with one st bb

square taper is great. none of the issues you have with them are actually issues. they work great. they are the prefered bb interface for general purpose riding. the only advatage to newer bb tech is larger and therefore stiffer spindle. so you can put out more wattage. average dude doesnt care. st is less trouble and untill some new tech becomes standard, square taper is way easier to get at all bike shops.......could go on and on. st is great. other stuff is fine, but only exists for bike racing as usual in new tech... you get the idea
>>
>>1040054
>iunno
stop this
>>
>>1039434
Yeah, I've been wanting to build a NJS-tyte keirin bike for a long time, and if I find a nice set of Nitto TSUBASA handlebars, it'll have to happen.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.