[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /n/ what could i power with a hub dynamo? i was first gonna

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10

File: DH2N35DS.jpg (60KB, 591x591px) Image search: [Google]
DH2N35DS.jpg
60KB, 591x591px
hey /n/

what could i power with a hub dynamo?

i was first gonna install some indicators with a small battery, switch & relais. but people have been saying that it won't work.

i'm no electrician, but i thought like they won't be used all the time and when needed i could get the power directly from a 6v battery which will be charged all the way when not used.

would this work?

also, gadget thread?
>>
File: enhanced-buzz.jpg (113KB, 620x775px) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-buzz.jpg
113KB, 620x775px
>>1036557
>what could i power with a hub dynamo?
A love egg. You know you want to.
>>
A couple dynamo lights also have a USB port so you can hook up one of those rechargable lithium packs.

When there is no load on the dynamo there is less drag, so there is a benefit to not generating power.
>>
>>1036557
>Oh look it's THIS thread again
All dynamo hubs generate a MAXIMUM of 3 watts (6 volts at 500mA).
The output voltage varies with road speed therefore so does the total output power generated.
It's not enough to much of anything with other than run a single small headlight.
Most electronics won't tolerate the power going on and off when you start and stop, or how variable the voltage is.
You couldn't even charge your phone from it because of the power starting, stopping, and varying so much.
The best you could do is charge a VERY SMALL battery pack, and unless you ride for hours and hours a day you won't charge it all the way.
Really, seriously, honestly, DO THE MATH, you'll discover everything I'm saying is true and that it's not worth the trouble and expense to add this to your bike, it won't do what you want it to do, it's just meant to run a headlight and that's ALL it's meant to do.
>>
>>1036567
>Oh look it's THIS thread again
sorry, new to /n/

>everything I'm saying is true and that it's not worth the trouble and expense to add this to your bike, it won't do what you want it to do.

well alright then. good answer. it's just i tore my headlight off (which was powered by that hub) because it was ugly af and didn't fit with the bike. and now it's just sitting there. thought i could get some use out of it by installing the indicators.
>>
>>1036587
>>turn indicators
>>on a bike

kek
just use your hand signals retard
any lights you put on a bike are going to be so close together that cars can't tell wtf direction they're indicating anyway
>>
I use an Alfine dynamo with an axa front light that has a USB plug. I can fully charge a Nexus 5 cell phone in half a day of touring provided the light is switched off.
>>
Has anyone tried solar panels on their bike? I want to charge a large usb power bank for keeping on the bike
>>
>>1036589
you think i don't? i do use my hands but at night car here seem to ignore them. + indicators would look cool on my bike imo
>>
File: 1383793678827.jpg (21KB, 233x300px) Image search: [Google]
1383793678827.jpg
21KB, 233x300px
you faggots need to lurk moar and ween yourself off your dependence on electronics

how do you think people toured back in the 80s?
it was fucking lovely.

anything more than a dynamo used to power a front light and a rear light is fucking late stage capitalism decadent bullshit.

solar panels don't provide very much power, especially in the size that fits on a bike with irregular exposure to light.

turn indicators exist, but are fucking stupid. Use your hands out of convenience to driver. As a cyclist if you insist and rely on turn signals to communicate your direction, you're going to have to learn the lesson that drivers don't pay attention the hard way.
>>
>>1036625
We don't live in the 80's.
I guess you still do.
>>
>>1036626
john oliver pls go
>>
>>1036598
I've done both a dynamo hub and solar panels. The solar panels can't touch the dynamo hub. They are not worth bothering with IMO.
>>
>>1036625
don't be a dick; a dynohub puts out way more power than some shitty 80's bottle dynamo - considering there's far more cages on the roads today a touring rig fitted with one is far more practical and safer.
>>
>>1036625

see:
>>1036618
>>
>>1036633
>don't be a dick

s/he just provided the most well formed opinion and the most factual information in this entire thread.
>>
>>1036628
What kind of battery can I charge with a dynamo?
>>
>>1036653
Well, no need to be a dick about it
>>
should work, but you'll want a regulator/convertor for most non light stuff since dynamo hubs output ac and you don't want to fry anything downhill

I use a sp8 hub with a sinewave revolution USB output for lights and occasionally my phone or mp3 player. a power bank works out well too, but there's inevitably loss.

in terms of efficiency, son is considered the best, but Sanyo, shutter precision and Shimano are all decent. it's a fun project and if nothing else it's worth it for the lights.
>>
I have a Luxos U on my commuter.

It is one of the brightest dynamo headlights out there (high efficiency LEDs, about half as bright as my head-mounted Magicshine) but it also stores surplus power in a built-in battery bank. When you leave it off in the day it charges the battery so at night the LEDs shine with consistent brightness. Pretty nifty.
>>
File: 1886805_2.jqmddg2meu.jpg (291KB, 1850x1450px) Image search: [Google]
1886805_2.jqmddg2meu.jpg
291KB, 1850x1450px
>>1036671
BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE

The button for operating the light also includes a USB charger. Though to be quite honest, I've never bothered. But I got the headlight partly because of this feature. If I tour some day I'd like to keep the phone charged with this.

Peter White calls this "far and away the most advanced bicycle headlight available."
>>
Nice yo-yo
>>
File: wheredoyouthinkweare.png (936KB, 644x644px) Image search: [Google]
wheredoyouthinkweare.png
936KB, 644x644px
>>1036657
>>
>>1036625
>how do you think people toured back in the 80s?
>it was fucking lovely.
>anything more than a dynamo used to power a front light and a rear light is fucking late stage capitalism decadent bullshit.

Soooo... when you go touring, do you pretend it's the 80s again? Do you leave your cell phone at home and navigate for days at a time through unfamiliar areas via paper maps, road signs, and asking strangers for directions?

No?

Then shut the fuck up. It's damn nice to be able to charge a cellphone while riding, especially if you're roughing it and not doing a babby CC tour.

>>1036587
Let me get this straight, you removed a headlight and want to replace it with turn indicators...

>>1036618
>i do use my hands but at night car here seem to ignore them.

...because cars are ignoring you at night...?

Christ.

Put your fuckin' headlight back on. Get a taillight. Wear some reflective gloves so that the cars can see your hands.

>indicators would look cool on my bike imo
Your opinion sucks.
>>
>>1036683
actually yes.

I keep a phone in my bag for emergencies or scenarios where I'm completely lost.

you make it sound like writing down directions, looking at maps, reading road signs, and talking to strangers is a nuisance.
It's damn nice to get a feel for an area and interact with people.
The phone adds a layer of complexity, while stream lining the experience, and cutting out the character of the journey. If that's what you want out of cycling, you're a sad sad man.
>>
>>1036683
>be able to charge a cell phone
>roughing it

is this what millenials actually think?
>>
>>1036683
there won't be any on the front as there is no room there.
i did put another headlight on there yes. i ain't no fool driving around like that. and taillight is already there.

but geez, it sounds like bicyclists hate them. what's the deal? it only adds safety
>>
>>1036587
Find a headlight you like that doesn't require more power than the hub can supply. Or better yet sell the dynamo hub front wheel and put a normal front wheel on your bike and get a USB rechargable headlight you like.

>>1036598
>solar panels
If you want to ruin your aerodynamics, and also attract thieves to vandalize your bike to steal the solar panels, then sure, go right ahead.

>>1036625
>>1036626
If you're going to ride a bike, then RIDE A BIKE. Having more money in electronics on your handlebars than the bike cost new just makes you look like an absolute Fred. You're allowed a decent cyclocomputer, possibly with GPS, and that's all. Anything more than that and you're straying in to the Fred Zone.

>>1036655
>What kind of battery can I charge with a dynamo?
Not much. Do the math.
>>
>>1037812
>Do the math.
What math? I'm not trying to fuel a rocket. If I can connect a powerbank to take the noisy voltage abuse of a dyno hub, then feed clean power to my phone from that bank, I can keep my phone topped off with the screen left on for navigation during long trips. That way I can keep only the phone and a (also conveniently usb charging) headlight on the handlebars.

I just don't know which hub can do this or what the best way to connect it is.
>>
>>1037818
No dynamos can do it out of the box. You need a separate kit to deliver regulated voltage and handle USB negotiation. My B+M headlight kit has a USB output for charging phones and GPS devices, and it works quite well. It is, however, not inexpensive. None of the charging kits that I'm aware of are.
>>
>>1037821
So having looked into all of this, I've decided this isn't the best route. Not because it wouldn't work well, but because of the price. $100 for a dynohub, maybe another $100 to have a wheel built, another $150 for the converter, or $200+ for headlight converter combo, more for cabeling and it might not all work out of the box.

Still looking into solar panels. I've seen some that fit perfectly on rear racks, and I know already those can trickle charge a huge power bank over several days of use.
>>
>>1037834
Yes, but so too can ten minutes of fast charging at the cafés/gas stops along your tour. If you're chugging half a kilo of powerbanks along you might as well not give a fuck about the pound of solar cells - and just bring two fully charged powerbanks instead. That should keep your phone going for a day or two. Or three.
I'm assuming here that you'll be tenting. If you sleep indoors somewhere they probably have a power socket.
>>
>>1037836
My use is about 6-12 hours of cycling, using my phone for navigation less often than once a week. I've actually found a 10kmah battery cell combo that looks like it can fully charge between uses. I'm not going on long distance tours or needing more than one bank. I live out in the country where the aren't rest stops or cafes for... Many miles at a time.
>>
>>1037837
>10kmah
Say 10 Ah.
>>
>>1037837
>Many miles
But you'd get to one in less than a day, yes? So you don't need more than a regular power bank.
>My use is about 6-12 hours of cycling
So there is absolutely no need to be able to charge the power bank. You don't even need a power bank for that - an aftermarket quasimodi back bulge battery would do, if you have a phone with removable battery.
>>
>>1037839
Technically you're correct, but a solar one can be fixed directly and stay on the bike. No need to remember to keep it charged, either.
>>
>>1037840
A battery pack isn't dependent on weather, either.
>>
>>1037841
The bundles/cbos I'm looking through are all fully water proof, freeze proof, shock proof. Seems to be defacto standard for most of this kind of stuff.
>>
>>1037843
They don't magically generate power when there is little sun. They don't work at night at all, and very poorly if there is overcast, fog, rain...

Don't make it overly complicated for no reason and to no benefit and just buy a fucking battery instead.
>>
>>1037844
I don't understand what's complicated about basic solar power. Free energy generates slowly with no user input. You can also manually charge the bank if it's a rainy week.
I already have a few battery enclosures, but I'm looking for one specific for my bike. It's a shame dynohub charging is so expensive, but free trickle power for a few ounces of weight is nothing to sneeze at.
>>
File: pri-1-x525.jpg (179KB, 632x525px) Image search: [Google]
pri-1-x525.jpg
179KB, 632x525px
>>1036557
I got me one of this things, pic related
I powered up my old blackberry phone. you can use it with a hub dynamo aswell as with a regular one for the tire
you need an adapter for micro usb tho (3 euros on the internet)
worked pretty well.
Idk how much it would charge a modern smartphone but I will try and keep you informed
>>
>>1037866
neat. how much? is this one of those German things that I can't get in the US?

>you can use it with a hub dynamo aswell as with a regular one for the tire

so "frame" is the ground?
>>
>>1037845
you're a moron if you aren't considering the amount of time you have to put in to maintaining that system just for your piddly drops of amperage.

it's just not worth it buddy.
>>
>>1037812
>Find a headlight you like that doesn't require more power than the hub can supply. Or better yet sell the dynamo hub front wheel and put a normal front wheel on your bike and get a USB rechargable headlight you like.

see:
>>1036772

it's even the headlight i put on my bike. it's battery powered hence why i started this thread since the hub ain't in use. but wanted to use it for something but i get it, i'm better off selling it.
>>
>>1037925
>Build once in 30 mins
>Spray cabeling with sealant
>Works for months
???
>Profit
>>
>>1037920
I got it for 25 euros
frame is on the second cable of your hub dynamo I think
the old dynamos used to close the circuit with electricity going through the frame
>>
File: DSC04141.jpg (525KB, 1492x1713px)
DSC04141.jpg
525KB, 1492x1713px
ooono!, I had, a thought!,
,,,its all just,, controlers,, circuitry stuff,,,, WHATIF> JAck the Phone battery BACK to the HUB?? blastit with just a few seconds of 120watts,, before burnout?
,, huh?,, BITE you graycell!
>>
File: IMG_2783.jpg (240KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2783.jpg
240KB, 1000x750px
>>1036674
>>1036671
I'm able to confirm that the luxos U is greatest of all headlights.

Don't buy from peter white though, you'll pay almost twice as much. Buy from bike24. Even the international shipping to the USA is cheaper then paying what Peter White charges.

The headlight has a battery in it so that your phone/gps/whatever you are charging doesn't complain when you stop the bike.

It's great.
>>
>>1037997
Yeah but the shipping from germany takes like 3 months

Is not having lights for 3 months worth the savings?
>>
>>1037998
It took 2.5 weeks when I ordered mine (Germany to USA) And yes, it was a $80 savings compared to what I was about to pay for a US based seller.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.