[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Second Avenue Subway

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: 1025-met-web-SUBWAYmap-300.png (114KB, 600x1464px) Image search: [Google]
1025-met-web-SUBWAYmap-300.png
114KB, 600x1464px
After close to a century of planning the first section of the Second Avenue Subway will open on January 1, 2017 adding three new stations to the NYC Subway. It's the first segment in a line that will eventually run almost the entire length of Manhattan. It's expected to carry 200,000 people daily upon opening.

Any NYC Anons/railfans/foamers planning to check things out?
>>
I'm glad for NYC but 3 new stations is such a pathetic expansion, seriously.
>>
>>1035681
We are lucky to get that. The Second Avenue subway was talked about in the 1920s. They took down all the els in Manhattan when they should have kept them.
>>
File: calcagno-1955-3rdave.gif (10KB, 465x586px) Image search: [Google]
calcagno-1955-3rdave.gif
10KB, 465x586px
>>1035684
Specifically either the Second or Third Avenue El's. Either (or both) would have relieved future congestion from the Lexington Avenue Line like as have now.

Destroying the EL's was dumb decision by both the city, and NYCTA.

Let's also not forget how they were gunning to tear down Grand Central as well.
>>
>>1035684
>>1035689
manhattan keeping its els would have been metal as fuck
>>
>>1035671
I'll be there for the first revenue train (probably get on all the way down by Stillwell)...

I'm pretty sure the babe is going to be PACKED.
>>
>>1035689
that's when robert moses was running his 10 lane expressways through the centre of manhattan
>>
>>1035671
It's only phase 1. It won't actually be done for decades.
>>
File: brooklyn-existing.jpg (948KB, 876x1011px) Image search: [Google]
brooklyn-existing.jpg
948KB, 876x1011px
I lived on 2nd avenue for a while this summer, would have been useful as the 2nd avenue SBS is a bit of a wank.

I think the fact that there are no express tracks, and the fact that the T train won't go to the bronx or brooklyn is limiting its usefulness. I mean the East River is like what, a 10 minute walk from most parts of the Lexington Avenue line? Living on 2nd avenue and commuting everywhere using the Lex was convenient because the walk to 86th was quick and there was always a 4 or 5 to catch within 1-5 minutes.

The streetscape around the planned stations on 2nd avenue is pretty fucked and business owners have apparently lost a lot of money because of the construction scaring off pedestrians.

>>1035689
>>1035760

>>Destroying the EL's was dumb decision by both the city, and NYCTA.
>>Let's also not forget how they were gunning to tear down Grand Central as well.

City planners like this should be jailed. Both penn and grand central getting demolished? Fucking hell

>>his 10 lane expressways through the centre of manhattan
thank god that never happened

Moment of silence for the brooklyn queens connector. Fuck flatbush and canarsie we have waterfront condos to build!
>>
>>1035671
>3 stops
>No express tracks
>Can't fit 75 foot trains
>No connection to outer boroughs

It's shit
>>
>>1035820
Penn was demolished to get air rights. Pennsy railroad was bleeding money like New York Central. Jackie Kennedy saved Grand Central.
>>
File: 30963896144_14bf842245_o (1).jpg (291KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
30963896144_14bf842245_o (1).jpg
291KB, 1280x854px
>>1036025
-The tunnels were shaved back and they can fit 75 ft trains now

-Also since the 2nd Av line connects with the 63rd St line with connects to the Broadway Line it does go to Brooklyn. There's also an easy transfer to the F train to Queens at Lexington Av-63 St.

>>1035820
The construction zone in 2nd Ave has mostly been restored. There's a new bike lane there too. It's unfortunate that a lot of businesses have suffered but hopefully the remaining businesses will benefit from the extra foot traffic
>>
>>1035684
Nah, EL's are ugly af and are mostly in poor undesirable parts of the city.
>>
>>1036025
As a UES resident its better than taking the 6.
>>
>>1036223
You live on the UES also?
>>
3 days to go.
>>
>>1036840
I loved els when I was young. The shading and light under the structure. The stations. The roar of the trains. I miss the Jamaica Avenue el.
>>
I really hope the 2nd Avenue Subway doesn't get finished. In a different economic environment, sure, why not, but expanding it down through the LES and ending at Chatham Square is going to finish off what little distinct character those neighborhoods have left.

Meanwhile, all those small, super New Yorky UES businesses on 2nd Avenue have been put on month to month leases, ready to be booted once the landlords can command corporate lease prices because of the subway.

The train line the city *desperately* needs is something connecting southern Brooklyn, eastern Queens, and the Bronx, without going through Manhattan.

People complain about the M15, and it could definitely be pushed more towards true BRT, but it's *fine*, God, you don't even have to pay between South Ferry and 14th Street. The only real problem is the cars get truly miserably crowded at rush hour, just like a good number of the subway services, including the ones that run on the Lexington Avenue line.

If you want to fix that, 1) redo Park Avenue with no parking and a full time BRT service and 2) give businesses economic incentives to stagger working hours and not have everyone commuting at 9 AM and 5 PM.
>>
>>1037088
Surprised no one's taken exception to this.
>>
>>1037369
He's not wrong. As soon as the Lex is sufficiently relieved with a working T train, the MTA should put off 2nd Ave for other important projects like Utica Ave or TriboroRX. If they can avoid deep-tunnel TBM excavation then costs will probably also drop significantly.
>>
>>1035671
>it's open

Hooray for New York!
>>
>>1037088
And expand the bikes in buildings laws to make them meaningful. And perhaps something similar to the TransitCheck program but for bikes, like what they have in the UK. Perhaps with a more aggressive subsidy for folding bikes.
>>
>>1036841
>Another subway for rich white people
>>
>>1037877
>>1037877
>implying rich white people aren't driven
>>
>>1037908
Real aristocrats ride citibikes to/from work.
>>
>>1036169
I know the specific reason as to why penn was demolished but proper preservation legislation wouldn't have let that happen. I see the construction of madison square garden as part of the misguided modernist movement in NYC that wanted to throw away the vertical heritage of the city and bend over backwards to make the city as car friendly as possible.

MSG shouldn't be in manhattan, imo.
>>
>>1037088
Can you elaborate on the subway killing the vibe of alphabet city and that area?
>>
>>1036223
>display shows the date and time instead of upcoming departures

t-thanks
>>
File: IMG_3587.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3587.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
These tracks are too clean... give it a few days
>>
File: IMG_3572.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3572.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
It's lit though
>>
>>1038013
That's one sexy looking third rail.
>>
Anyone else apply for the MTA train operator test?
>>
>>1038013

Mmmmmm
>>
>>1038014
No trashcans?
>>
>>1040151
Nope, I someone passed me the link literally 5 minutes before the app expired. Do you know when another test date is coming up?

I am applying for the LIRR loco engineer though
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.