[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sailing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
image.jpg
1B, 486x500px
How would one go about learning to sail? How dangerous would it be to go out on a boat say Florida to the Bahamas with a crew of 3 and little to know knowledge. Is this something that can be learned in books or do you need time on the sea.
>>
I don't know about the Bahamas but here in the lesser Antilles you need some time on the sea before you can competently sail.

You can get by with a couple days but only if you are lucky, have a natural aptitude and understanding AND experience near pristine waters.

When it goes wrong it goes wrong really quickly.

This does not account for every skill either. Some folks are better at lines while others are better at motor mooring, docking, rough weather sailing, etc. Etc. While they are terrible at everything else.
>>
>>1035383

If you want to get somewhere with noe experience then a powerboat will be your best bet.
>>
>>1035367
Start by renting a small sailboat on a lake. Take classes on marine safety. Take classes on boat handling. Rent a larger sailboat on a larger lake or ocean harbor. Do this for a two seasons and spend at least 40 hours on the water. Enjoy your ocean sailing adventure. Agree who is captain before y'all get on the boat.
>>
>>1035384
This seems better option. Where should i start to learn. I feel like its naive to say its like a car in the sense you just turn on the engine and go.
>>
>>1035384
>a powerboat will be your best bet

You can get lost faster, further from shore. And punch a bigger hole in the hull by hitting hidden obstructions at higher speeds.
>>
>>1035426

All those are possible.

On a sailing boat op will:

>Get himself knocked overboard by the boom during a tack
>Get caught off guard by a gust and loose half his crew to an 85 degree heel
>Rip out some pulleys on an aggressive jibe
>Ground his keel into a reef following a cat
>Get out into the bay on a test run and have to radio for help because he can't get back

While I believe that sailing is the superior form of leisure water transport. I started on power boats and it was so easy to figure things out it was ridiculous.
>>
>>1035424

Get a small 12 foot fiberglass hull with a 10hp engine on it and practice off a beach/small private jetty. Even a 5hp would be sufficient to start learning docking, mooring, knots and so on.

Hell if you want to start bare minimum a kayak well help you understand some motions.

But to get on a plane (when the majority of the hull is out the water) you'd need the 10hp and that opens up a different dynamic of craft handling.
>>
OP here have been out on hobie sailboats a couple times in bay and smaller i think they are called sunnys on a lake.

Been on a couple of deep sea fishing trips and other boats that are a lot bigger.

I thought my cousin bought a sailboat but its a powerboat. I think around 53 feet.

He has little knowledge of boating. I have next to none.

He needs to get in gulf side of florida and bring it up to SC maybe goes to bahamas or key west.

I would only go if weather is good. What should i expect. How should i train. Dont want to get myself killed.

Really want to learn always wanted to sail around the carribean for a year. Figuring this might be my ticket.

There seems to be some experienced people here just looking for tips and quick way to learn or is this dumb as fuck.
>>
This thread is relevant to my interests, I need advice. If everything works out I'll be getting a little 15ft bermuda rigged sailboat pretty soon. My family's had a pontoon boat for quite a while now, so I'm familiar with boats in general, but I've never been on a sailboat.

Do you guys think I'd be able to get by alright without sailing lessons? I've read a few books about sailing, and plenty of stuff online, so I feel like I've got a pretty good idea of how it works, just no experience

And would I be better off asking here, or over at /out/?
>>
File: 20161221_212845.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
20161221_212845.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1035620

Once you have an idea how to sail it isn't hard at all. If you are still skeptical. Find a water sports center and rent a hobie cat.

>>1035559

>Dream of sailing around the Caribbean.

Extremely comfortable sailing as you are almost never out of sight of land. But in the channels it can go from glass calm to ROUGH in a couple hours and on a cruiser it will take a couple hours to cross even the smaller channels. And squalls are a constant threat on even the sunniest days with clear skies forecasts. If you don't like the weather. Wait 10 mins. It will change.

Also don't skimp out on the charts. And go as finite as your pocket will allow. I have got chart b5 and it doesn't tell me even a quarter of what B3 does and while the area in B311 is some of the best sailing and scenery in the western hemisphere you can run into trouble without knowledge.
>>
>>1035629
Cool, I guess I'll should be fine just jumping into it out on the lake then. Anywhere on 4chan that's got a group of people that sail, kinda how /n/ has it's bike love?
>>
>>1035629
So u seem to know what u are doing to some level.

What books do u recommend?

To the b charts how does this turn with the tides per say.

Lived whole life on coast and know what a good storm does.

Are there any apps or gps programs one should buy.

Not trying to be naive but I know what the ocean can do the setiment around one island could be gone in a year
>>
File: MFW.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
MFW.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1035367

Heard the Coast Guard responding to a call for help in Puget Sound some time ago. Boat owner gave the name of his vessel and approximate location. Coast Guard station asked, "Is this a pleasure craft or a sailing vessel?"
>>
>>1035632

>>1023320

Previous sailing threads have had people in that know how to sail.

I haven't seen any elsewhere. It is not a "normie" thing to be into.

>>1035636

I have grown up on one of those islands, house on the beach, family has always had boats, as did friends. Never got any qualifications of read any books on sailing or boating because we don't need qualifications to own or be employed as a captain or to captain anything (within the owners discretion). It is pretty lawless.

>Sentiment

I believe you meant sediment? Unless it is directly at the mouth of a river there is no sediment in these waters. Most islands in the lesser Antilles (charts previous) are all volcanic pinnacles and in many areas if you go out one eighth mile you are already looking at depths of hundreds of meters. If you hit anything it is most likely going to be solid rock or solid rock covered in coral.

I'll post the other side of that chart in a bit.
>>
>>1035639
Thanks man so you are saying its been there and wont go away

Any books or thoughts on packing or items

Im thinking plenty of water, chef borrdi, a ggod knife and fishing pole,

What about life vests and escape raft

Anon thanks

>>1035637

Fuck u i know 4chan is all about trolling but some boards offer help every once in awhile

This is the adventure i have always wanted
>>
File: 20161221_230555.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
20161221_230555.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1035641

>It's been there and won't go away.

Look at the eastern side of Mustique in pic related. It drops from 17 feet to 477 feet. It's all volcanic shelf so we are talking rock and currents are strong so the only things that settle is sand and rock but there are few sand bars.

Barbados is the only exception in the lesser Antilles and that's because it is actually a reef and not a volcanic island. You dig down 1 foot in Barbados and you hit lime stone. All their top soil came from neighboring volcanoes erupting.

>Life raft

That'll be your dinghy.

>Supplies

It may seem interesting to worry now but in you can get from the mainland (larger island on top of image) to Mustique in 6 hours at 3.5 Knott's. Which for a day cruiser is an OK leisure speed. For scale the distance between the bottom of st.vincent (mainland) to the northern tip of bequai is 9 miles.

Also your 7 day emergency supply cost will be miniscule compared to the rest of the boat.
>>
>>1035644

Photos keep rotating. Sorry
>>
>>1035644
Thanks anon

Can u comment on genral supplies or tips or shit has gone bad i wish i knew to have this

Looks like my main concern should be not fucking scraping a big dent in the boat cause i did not read the charts

What are your big concerns
>>
>>1035644

Another correction. Depths not in feet. Depths in meters
>>
>>1035647

Most accidents and disasters I have witnessed have been people running aground. This ranges from foreigners just not knowing, to old salts who have passed through that cut every day for the last 55 years. Just look where you are going and avoid any questionable areas.

There have been a couple of known accidents related to alcohol, which you'd find surprising because many folks are well on their way to being hammered before they get to their destination (including me). You really have to take the last point into consideration when you are determining right of way.

Sometimes there are robberies on sailboats that are anchored in secluded bays. Sometimes in congested bays. I believe that it depends on your impression. A boat with 4 guys on board expertly cleaning fish shortly after anchoring/mooring, then drinking rum and slamming dominoes with lots of angry infighting is less likely to be hit than the boat with a lovely couple who after two wines are chit chatting about their PHd's and charities with the locals.
>>
>>1035649

>There have only been a couple of known accidents related to alcohol

It should have said.

I should really proof read my shit
>>
>>1035639
Alright man, I'll keep a look out for sailing threads here then. It's something I'd really like to get into, I already love just about everything water-related, sailing would be the best thing ever in my mind
>>
>>1035475
>implying OP wouldn't fail at tacking and be stuck in the wind for hours
>>
File: image.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
image.jpg
1B, 486x500px
https://www.blueanarchy.org/holdfast/

I'll just leave this here.
>>
Can you sail a dinghy in the ocean? lol
>>
>>1037355
Sure, it's loads of fun.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jun/21/sailing-into-hell-two-men-dingy-dangerous-journey

There have been transat dinghy racing since the 1960's(?).
>>
How does sailing to a different country work from a passport standpoint?
>>
>>1038579

There are ports in which you have to clear customs and immigration.

Often they are on charts or you use the VHF to contact them.

It's not so easy to bypass because if coast guard grabs you it can get real rough
>>
Hooray for sailing thread!

Doing up my snapdragon now in the hopes of getting around Ireland in july
>>
>>1037791
was just going to post this - really a great read
>>
Know how to fix everything on your boat. Metal fiberglass ropes electrical.
>>
>>1037311
Thanks
>>
2 years ago I said "Fuck it", bought a cheap 26' Catalina, and went out for 5 weeks straight. Brought my buddy along who knew just as little as I.

To prep, we made sure the pulley's on top of the mast worked. Hauled me up there on a working pulley, fixed the broken one. Lines looked okay, if worn. Didn't even look at sails. Spent a week cleaning up the boat in dock, were lucky enough that another dude took pity on us and took us out for an hour. Did a couple of jib/tack turns. Next morning we headed out.

Hah, we didn't know anything, made up terms for silly setups. My favorite was the "Golden wing triangle", a starfox inspired maneuver. Ran aground the third day due to low tide/night/estuary. Eventually bought a gps for the phone.

Like I said, 5 weeks nonstop, port to port, nooks and lagoons, public mooring, anchor mostly. Some stressful nights where we were not in a safe place, weather. Somehow our lil anchor never let us down though.

Pic related: me on third morning
>>
>>1041187
How was the gay sex?
>>
>>1041195
Tender and sweaty. Nah man. Two sexy boi's going from port to port, young men doing something adventurous = not too hard to chat up a group of women. I have no game in RL, especially one night stands, but on that trip something triggered in womens minds. It was obvious we weren't around more than one night and they dug it. Romanticism credited.
>>
>>1041215
I guess it's true what they say, about the implication
>>
>>1041187
Did your skills improve just from practice, or did you really need instruction?
>>
>>1035367

dangerous as fuck. you'd be better off sailing between the islands that make up the Abacos. the strait between FL and grand bahama is no joke.
>>
>>1041187
how much was the boat?
>>
>>1035367
>How would one go about learning to sail?
Ideally? Take classes. At the introductory level, students will typically start out sailing small dinghies single-handed, with close supervision from the instructor (and plenty of shore instruction, of course). These boats have a fairly small rig, so students won't normally get into too much trouble.

>How dangerous would it be to go out on a boat say Florida to the Bahamas with a crew of 3 and little to know knowledge.
Definitely more dangerous than a powerboat. There are a lot of things about sailing that are not immediately intuitive. Without experience, you're liable to:
>Push the tiller (if applicable) the wrong way and hit something you're trying to avoid
>Crash-gybe, possibly whacking someone with the boom or damaging the rigging
>Broach and/or capsize in windy conditions, sending people overboard and/or filling the boat with water
>Get caught in irons, losing steerage and headway
>Sail or drift into hazards due to lack of consideration of navigational constraints imposed by points of sail
Most or all of these risks can be mitigated by choosing the right location and conditions to sail, by using a reefed sail or storm rig which is easier to manage, by towing or motoring in and out of docks with the sails down (for a keelboat at least), and of course, by preparing and learning as much as you can ahead of time (and ideally, bringing someone experienced with you).
>>
>>1035367
crew of 3 and little to know knowledge

>>1035641
Bawww stop trolling me

You are going to die you fucking idiot, go do some training first
>>
>>1035367

Even if you can learn not to smash into another boat, get the sails up and working and to actually leave a marina berth.....

Can you read a nautical chart? No not google map, an actual nautical chart.

Can you fix your position without using a GPS?

Do you know what the air pressure does when a storm is approaching? Do you know how to avoid it?

How much anchor do you need out?

Do you know why you need to know speed over ground and speed through water?

How do you stop a sailing boat without taking the sails down?

What is a topping lift and kicking strap? Why do you even need to know what these things are?

..... I could think of 10,000 more, but there is a few for starters
>>
>>1035367
You would lose 2/3rds of your men on the return trip.
>>
>>1037311
Annoying voice.
>>
>>1044331
Why do you bring up all these points and then explain none of them? Are you an asshole?
>>
>>1035367
(Is the op even still checking back here?)

>How would one go about learning to sail?

If you're serious, take a Power Squadron course. If you're not, don't sail. Loiter around a marina and check their billboards to see if anyone is looking for an extra hand for a day sail or race.
>>
Can we make this a general sailing thread?
What about sailing in waterways, inland. Should I bother with special courses and lots of books or is it unlikely that I'll die as long as I have a life vest, signaling device, and follow local laws?

Also, being in the navy has made me autistic about communications. If I have a very small boat, like, not even able to be called a ship but distinctly a boat, do I still need callsigns and signal flags and a powerful light for flashing dudes and shit? What about radios? I'd get one for fun, but am I legally required in north america?

How much shitposting is permissible on Ch 16?

>>1047326
The fuck happened to that guy? OD while on the horn with the harbormaster or some shit?
>>
>>1047326

Doesn't matter if OP is back, Im trying to get into sailing and I'm paying attention so bump.

Any liveaboards here? How do you like the lifestyle? My gf and i are thinking about doing it because rent is stupid as hell where I live.

>that pic

shitt nigs what am i looking at
>>
make some tea

https://vimeo.com/15351476
>>
>>1035645
I wish they would fix that stupid bug where the pics rotate on mobile
>>
>>1047682
>>1047698
Looks like a body on a boat that was adrift for a long while after the person died.
>>
>>1047328
>>1047682

Some German guy they found floating on a sailboat in the Pacific. They believe it survived two or three hurricanes without anyone piloting it.

They estimate the boat was floating for nearly a year or something like that as he was normally in contact with his family and went dead on comms.

You can see the water level is up to his shin.

Because there isn't much airborne decomposers over the middle of an ocean the body was mummified. They found what could be considered a suicide note to his divorced wife with whom he still had a good relationship but they couldn't figure out the cause of death
>>
>>1047328
He was waiting for OP to deliver
>>
>>1047323

Nope. Do you want me to write out the entire 101 in how to sail and navigate a boat?

I've got a spare year, let me type a book out here bbl
>>
You shouldn't go sailing on the sea when you don't know anything about sailing. Start in a small lake.
>>
>>1048791

Actually the open sea is the best place to learn how to sail because it's very unlikely there will be anything to crash into.

However, bring a mate who can sail you out there first and be on hand when you really do fuck up.
>>
>>1048791

>You shouldn't go sailing on the sea when you don't know anything about sailing. Start in a small lake.

I learnt on the sea. Everyone I know learnt on the sea.

In fact there isn't a lake in my country or even neighboring countries.
>>
>>1048796
This. Learning on a lake is stupid.

Just join a sailing club, become an active part of the community and get someone experienced to show you the ropes. Practice makes perfect.
>>
>>1041234
Tasty treats?
>>
>>1035367
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhf1cZHSaEA
>>
File: junk-dump-4617.jpg (40KB, 580x448px) Image search: [Google]
junk-dump-4617.jpg
40KB, 580x448px
Super late to the party.
>>1037311
>>1047691
Do you have any more knowledge of BlueAnarchy? Is it a place for people looking for crew or is there any such site someone knows of? It seems kind of dead.

I'm looking to take time off university for a while (1-2 years) and travel and sailing like that seems so rad.
>>
>>1047328
what kind of inland waterways are you talking? an empty bay or the missisipi? common sense and what should be done doesn't always follow the law

How small?like, no cabin small? if not sailing at nighttime there are no light requirements and reduced signalling requirements for (i think) under 26ft (assuming usa)

i'm never on the radio, but I would say none. if you want to talk to someone hail them on 16 and then switch off

>>1047747
bullshit, it was heart attack and he was only out for a couple weeks
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.