[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

help out a poor cycling newfag

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

cycling has been something I've been wanting to get into, particularly road cycling. Not really sure what I need besides a bike though, thought this would be a good place to ask. So what is a good beginner level road bike and what are the minimum supplies I need to not just be some kid with a fancy bike?
>>
How much are you willing to spend?

If you're an Yuropoor, Decathlon's B'Twin has good bikes for the price.

Important is spare tires, spare inner tubes, pump, lights, helmet, winter gloves, shit to clean your chain and casette.
>>
>>1034505
Dunno how much shit costs, though I highly doubt I have enough money to get most of the stuff at once. I also won't be needing winter gear as I live on a tropical island.
>>
>>1034507
What's your budget? You only need a bike to start riding, you can get everything else as you get more money or need it.
>>
just get a decathlon btwin with shimano claris 2015 or 2016 (don't go 2014, those shifters suck ass) and you'll be all set

get some SPD shoes, a helmet and maybe padded shorts

all set, should not be much more than 500 euros
>>
>>1034493
If you spend at least $1000US on a new bike, you'll get a fairly decent starter bike. For a newbie I wouldn't spend any more than $2000US, unless you have money to burn for some reason.

Get bib shorts, not regular shorts. Euro-cut jersey (not loose-fitting, flaps in the wind). Clipless pedals and shoes. Your choice of helmet. Glasses with lenses you can change, with tinted, amber, and clear lenses. Two bottle cages for the bike and two bottles. Seat bag, with a small multi-tool, tire levers, spare tubes, and a patch kit. Either CO2 cylinders and an adapter (if you have money) or a small pump that you can mount to the frame (pays for itself in the long run). Lighting if you're ever going to ride at night. Handlebar computer if you even care how fast/far you're riding.

If you're doing your own maintenance:
Chain cleaning supplies and chain lube.

If you have money:
Bicycle-specific toolkit. Workstand to put the bike on (makes cleaning/lubing the chain much easier).
>>
>>1034493

What do you already know about working on bicycles? You don't need to spend much if you go used, but I only recommend that if you're already mechanically inclined.
>>
>bike that works
>water bottles
>helmet
>>
>>1034664

Are you capable of following written directions and do you already have things like Allen and torque wrenches?
>>
Discounting used bikes and with a few exceptions, the lowest priced road bikes classed as "good bikes" with a long service life generally come with Shimano Claris and aluminium frames with carbon forks. They cost around £450-£600 or equivalent mostly. Think Specialized Allez, Giant Contend/Defy, Trek 1.1, Cannondale Synapse, and some BTwin and other bikes. These are all pretty good and you can get up to a great level of fitness and riding skill with them. Lots of tech on them that has been filtered down from two or three year old expensive bikes. Generally they all have fender and rack mounts for commuting too which is pretty invaluable for keeping up with cycling when you dont have time to train specifically. Bikes at this price point also tend to have more beginner friendly geometry, which means a more upright and less stretched riding position found on racier expensive bikes. This can be altered a bit as you get more comfortable with road bike handling by lowering the handlebars. More experienced cyclists will tell you the cheaper bikes are too heavy compared to their carbon bikes, but even still they are a damn sight lighter than any other bike you have ridden, usually weighing about 10Kg.

Once you have your bike, get the cheapest Bell or Giro road helmet when theyre on sale (or buy an even cheaper commuter/mtb helmet and take off the visor for a more roadie look If you want...). Then get some cheap jerseys and a pair of padded shorts, a multitool, inner tubes, tyre levers, a U lock and some of those silicon LEDs and you're set.
>>
>>1034667

Also, remember to get really pretentious about coffee, sunglasses, and your hair when you're off the bike. Since you're American always root for Cannondale Drapac when watching racing on TV.
>>
>>1034666
I've assembled several IKEA chairs and work at a machine shop with tools and such.
>>1034667
This helped me out a whole lot. Thanks.
>>1034668
topkek

Thanks everybody. This thread really set me up. Tailwinds, all.
>>
>>1034493
Absolute minimum
>bike
>helmet
Other things I consider necessary
>lock (especially if commuting)
>front and rear light (especially if riding at night)

It's also a good idea to have tools for roadside fixes, and the knowledge/practice to use them:
>Multitool with chain breaker (I highly recommend Crank Bros M17 or M19)
>Adjustable wrench (you may not need it depending on your bike, but if your wheels are bolt on, you'll need it to remove a wheel to fix a flat, and may also need it for brake adjustments depending on your brakes)
>Portable pump (I recommend Topeak Turbo Morph; big for a portable pump, but works great; make sure to test-use whatever pump you get before you need it, some are shit and don't work)
>3 plastic tire levers
>Spare tubes (patches are nice, but won't work if you have major damage such as a blowout)
>A way to carry these with you (saddle bag, backpack, pocket, whatever)

Optional things to consider bringing on rides, especially long rides:
>Master link (you can fix a broken chain without one, but it's better if you have one)
>Zip ties (in case something breaks and you need to tie stuff together/get stuff out of the way)
>Patch kit (not a substitute for spare tubes, but an option for minor damage; also good to have in case you get multiple flats and run out of spare tubes)
>Tire boots
>Spare rim strip
>Clif bars
>Phone and money in case you run into a severe mechanical issue and need a ride
>Rain jacket
>Rack and panniers
>>
>>1034664
If you're planning on sticking with it then you spend the money on a decent bike with decent components. Too much under $1000 and you start getting into some really cheesy components that you'll sooner or later be unhappy with. True, you could buy a bike that has a decent frameset and a cheap component group on the idea that you'll upgrade it later, but that's not as cheap a way to go as you might think. You might want to consider a higher-end bike used instead of new.
>>
>>1034708

If you've got access to tools, do some reading on bike repair/maintenance and see if you can't get a used high end bike that fits you. Emphasis on fit- you might want to do some reading on that too.
>>
>>1034493
Op just find a steel bike CL
Upgrade parts if necessary
Buy a helmet and ride that shit
>>
can you get a decent bike for $200?
>>
>>1034932
Brand new for 200? No.

But you might get lucky and find a quality used bike for that price.
>>
>>1034932

New? Fuck no.

Used? Absolutely. You'll have to be patient though.
>>
>>1034932
Used yeah. Post in bbg
>>
>>1034934
>>1034940
>>1034942
well what brands should I look for?
>>
>>1034950
AVOID the following
Magna
Schwinn (though the really old Schwinns are alright)
Huffy
Mongoose
Motobecane

But really just look for something your size on craigslist, preferably rigid 80s-90s mountain bike or old steel ten speed road bike, then post link on bbg asking if its good

https://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-tools/frame-sizer
>>
>>1034951
alright thanks
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.