[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>traffic circles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 15

File: IMG_0712.jpg (17KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0712.jpg
17KB, 250x250px
>traffic circles
>>
File: 1472366195534.jpg (67KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1472366195534.jpg
67KB, 640x480px
>>1034468
>mfw an American calls a roundabout a traffic circle near me
>>
>mfw got in an accident in a rotary
Impatient cunts.
>>
File: IMG_1156.jpg (332KB, 1215x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1156.jpg
332KB, 1215x1280px
>carpool lanes
>>
File: zzz.jpg (44KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
zzz.jpg
44KB, 640x480px
>>1034484
>mfw a Britbong calls a pencil eraser a 'rubber' near me
>>
>it's safer than regular intersections, they said
>almost get squashed twice a week because the cagers just have to gotta go fast
>>
>>1034595
It's safer in places people aren't insane and on drugs
>>
File: giphy.gif (69KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
69KB, 259x194px
>stick shift
>>
>>1034571
>salad creame
>>
>>1034595
I thought the idea was that they're faster than intersections with less waiting time. They're perfectly safe if you're not an idiot, and when an idiot comes for you it's a bit easier to avoid compared to getting t-boned by a red light runner at an intersection.

>>1034629
Shit's gross, never eaten it but the look and smell make me want to throw up. Also there's no e at the end of cream.
>>
File: Clipboard01.jpg (592KB, 889x754px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.jpg
592KB, 889x754px
Let us all conveniently forget the abominations they built before circles were invented.
>>
>>1034642
Are those single lane roads leading up to the intersection? If so it's basically a mini round about with a bypass if you're taking the first exit. Kind of like a regular two lane round about except you can only take the first exit from the left most lane instead of being able to take the second.

Quite a nice idea actually, would probably result in less people cutting you off when you're in the left lane and they're in the right one.

Note: I'm British so swap left and right if you drive on the right side of the road.
>>
>>1034638
>not an idiot
Do you drive on streets with other people on them? Because 99.99% of drivers are idiots.
>>
>>1034656
What I meant is they're not inherently dangerous, if you're not an idiot then you shouldn't be the one causing problems. When it comes to being hit by an idiot I'd rather take a side swipe than a t-bone, the latter of which is pretty much unavoidable.
>>
>>1034638
>I thought the idea was that they're faster than intersections with less waiting time

Yup. Watch the Mythbusters episode where they compare them to 4-way stops. The difference in traffic flow is significant.
>>
>>1034659
>a traffic measure that isn't idiot proof isn't inherently dangerous

Autism: the post
>>
File: genius.jpg (473KB, 836x623px) Image search: [Google]
genius.jpg
473KB, 836x623px
>>1034650
It certainly seemed like a nice idea because nobody at the time gave a rat's ass about pedestrian safety, bicycles, and speeding. In practice it's confusing and hazardous, and it allows driving through at high speeds. Especially in winter when it appears a flat field of snow. Distance between lanes is great so you need to observe a wide area to make sure nobody's coming, especially because of the speeding. There's always someone who has to stop somewhere in the middle because they're not sure where they're supposed to turn or stop to let cars from the right pass. Some of the signs are always bent because of some asshole losing control when trying to drive through at 70km/h or not seeing where the lane is from the snow.

Pic related is another example of genius 60's planning.
>>
>>1034638
Well, it's all fine and well, definitely faster, but T-boning is so rare here, I've never even seen it on a traffic camera, let alone irl.

Meanwhile, a rotary turns into a game of intimidation (in countries where the cager mentality is strong of course) and I usually let the guy armed with 1000kg of steel win.
Sure, I'm safe and all, but I just feel like I'm getting bullied at least twice a week by cagers (besides all the other bullying with cut offs and close passes and whatnot).
>>
>>1034686
>an intersection is inherently more idiot proof than a roundabout because thats what im personally more familiar with
Assburger: the post
>>
>>1034759
It has nothing to do with what I'm familiar with. Every traffic circle in my state has been put in by Euroboos thinking it's cutesy but no one knows what to do and it's always dangerous.

Shit, god. You are such an asshole.
>>
>>1034642
>>1034742
Those are pretty much normal T-intersections with the lanes spread out by grass inbetween. I can see that being a problem for people turning left not being aware that the entire thing is an intersection and not yielding to oncoming traffic.

Looks nice though.
>>
File: ultimate creation.png (1MB, 991x704px) Image search: [Google]
ultimate creation.png
1MB, 991x704px
>>1034918
No they're not. Proposing either one of these would make you the butt of jokes at any infrastructure planning consultancy. They are exactly the kind of intersections that have been replaced by roundabouts (although I would propose a traffic light T-intersection for the second). The biggest problem is that they encourage high speeds, which is because they were designed to during the time when nothing else mattered. Keep in mind that these are suburban roads where speeds should never exceed 50km/h and preferably stay around 40km/h. When I took measurements at the first intersection I found people were routinely driving through at 60km/h and this was in winter conditions. Second problem is that they are fucking huge. The reasons why they still exist are the for one, they are in a dying town with low traffic, and secondly because the said town can't afford to replace them, although they recognized the need already in the 90's.

Pic related is my old coursework on the first one. Not the cutest one around but it abides to the current planning standards. Added some extra twist to the approach to force drivers from the west to slow down as they built that approaching road way oversized (typical of 70's Finland) which causes people to speed. If anything, it shows how much more compact a roundabout is while providing extra safety for pedestrians compared to those old scaled down highway-planning style contraptions.
>>
>>1034484
I'm from Ohio and we call them roundabouts here, at least some people do. There aren't any in my town though.

>>1034595
I think they are safer and more convenient for cyclists as long as you mind traffic.
>>
>>1035016
But in Soviet Russia, traffic doesn't mind YOU!
>>
>>1034468
>>
Go back to /pol/
>>
>calling it roundabout when it isn't a roundabout
that's why it's called """traffic circle"""
>>
>>1034595
They're safer for cagers.

For cyclists it needs some modifications.
>>
Where I live "traffic circles" are eveywhere and are safe most of the time however a cyclist or just slow vehicle is in grave danger when entering one in rush hour because of how saturated it can get.
>>
>>1035143
>grave danger
Of what, getting rear ended? Everyone yields to traffic in a roundabout. Or are you talking about those fucked up burger free for all traffic rules?
>>
File: 4a2.jpg (55KB, 500x428px) Image search: [Google]
4a2.jpg
55KB, 500x428px
>larries
>>
File: 1298644074883.png (79KB, 559x541px) Image search: [Google]
1298644074883.png
79KB, 559x541px
>>1035149
>>
>public transportation
>>
>>1035148
>The rules are one way in my country so they're that way everywhere except the US

t. never been to South America, Southern Europe, any Arab country, or India.
>>
It's not the roundabouts that make european traffic safer

its the europeans that make european traffic safer

Hate misguided attempts in the USA to install these damn things, drivers are idiots and don't know how to use them, causes more problems than they fix
>>
File: good_guy_jackie.jpg (32KB, 622x600px) Image search: [Google]
good_guy_jackie.jpg
32KB, 622x600px
> 4-way stop signs
>>
>>1034638
>faster
Sure, unless it's a minor road crossing a major one. Pic related, this is what would happen in rush hour. Southbound blue cars are fucked. For low traffic, roundabouts are better. In medium to high traffic, lights will prevent one direction becoming permanently jammed by the volume of the major road. Stop signs work the same way - first come, first served.
>>
File: 1308706387845.png (72KB, 698x658px) Image search: [Google]
1308706387845.png
72KB, 698x658px
>>1035153
>pussy bread
>>
File: post.png (19KB, 1013x646px) Image search: [Google]
post.png
19KB, 1013x646px
>>1036327
>forgot my beautiful mspaint image
>>
>>1036327
From what I've witnessed the more major the roads the larger the roundabout giving more time to hop on. The really busy ones also have lights (sometimes only running at peak hours), not sure if there's any speed advantage compared to an intersection when the lights are running.
>>
File: 5-way can't see.png (3MB, 1386x801px) Image search: [Google]
5-way can't see.png
3MB, 1386x801px
We have a five-way stop in my town.
At least that's what the sign says.
it's impossible to see if there are cars at the bottom left if you're going up on the right.
>>
>>1036327
There's nothing preventing you from having lights in a roundabout, senpai. Roundabout or fourway, vs lights or yield to right. One is a type of crossing, the other a method of distributing right of way and time slices. You are mixing concepts.
>>
>>1036372
>dem alien invashun lookin cracks
You have bigger problems.
>>
>>1034834
>no one knows what to do and it's always dangerous

Sounds like the problem is your drivers are poorly educated.
>>
>>1034656
>Because 99.99% of drivers are idiots.
>I'm the only sane person in the world
I've got some bad news for you Anon.

>>1034669
>Mythbusters episode
http://www.wimp.com/mythbusters-test-a-four-way-stop-vs-a-roundabout/ (Googled it for you) About 360 cars in 15 minutes on a 4 stops, 470 on a roundabout (murican drivers with a 30 minutes free training session.)
Mostly because there are about 3 cars on the roundabout at all time and only one on a 4 stops.

>>1036410
I think the same thing each time I read about murican drivers. I'm curious about the requirement for the driving licence. Over here you must be able to drive a manual for example.
>>
>>1036461
>I'm curious about the requirement for the driving licence

1) Can you start the engine?
2) Can you make car go?
3) Can you make car stop?

Congratulations, you dun got yer' license! Try not to kill anyone on the drive home.
>>
>>1036410
>>1036461
>>1036467

>Le I'm-superior-to-Americans man
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.