[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do escalators count as transportation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 10

File: wheelchair-escalator_0.jpg (59KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
wheelchair-escalator_0.jpg
59KB, 640x360px
Do escalators count as transportation?
>>
File: Old Man Escalator.gif (1MB, 166x240px) Image search: [Google]
Old Man Escalator.gif
1MB, 166x240px
Best way to get upstairs without going up stairs.
>>
File: 2469421264_a52d3c3c87.jpg (124KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
2469421264_a52d3c3c87.jpg
124KB, 500x333px
This is the world's biggest (longest) escalator. It is located in Hong Kong and can take 20 minutes to complete the ride.
>>
>>1034073
Jesus. Are there places along the way you can step off? What if there's a fire?
>>
File: escalator-spin_gif-bin-090313.gif (420KB, 200x108px) Image search: [Google]
escalator-spin_gif-bin-090313.gif
420KB, 200x108px
Also escalator tricks make you look cool af
>>
>>1034075
Yeah there are step offs. Some of it is moving sidewalk, like in an airport. As for a fire, depending on where you are, you're boned.
>>
File: 65f.gif (3MB, 200x353px) Image search: [Google]
65f.gif
3MB, 200x353px
Then there are escalator novices who can't quite pull of the stunts, and end up ruining it for everyone.
>>
File: escalator-balls-3.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
escalator-balls-3.gif
2MB, 500x281px
It's been such a long time since I've had a good ride.
>>
>>1034079
That honestly wouldn't be as bad as bouncy balls on stairs, because once you've stepped on a clear step you don't have to move anymore and risk stepping on a ball.
>>
>people who stand still on the escalator

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

worst yet is when they stand still AND block the fucking path for people using it to climb faster
>>
>>1034073
Was going to post. Braemar Hill will get one.
Tze Wan Shan went nowhere.
>>
>>1034067
Both elevators and escalators are transports. See Spain and some South American country.
>>1034073
HK is kinda hilly so we get tall ass elevators for ground access for metro stations. HKU and the Ho Man Tin station opened for a while.
>>
>>1034094
>people rushing through the escalator
Just run through the regular stairs if you're in such hurry, wagecuck.
>>
>>1034126
people who just stand there on the moving sidewalks are worse. its not a fucking carnival ride. keep walking!
>>
>>1034094
It's more efficient for everyone to stand, as the escalator is being used to its full capacity.

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2016/march/london-underground-planspilot-of-new-escalator-arrangement-at-holborn-tube-station

>Before the previous trial, calculations showed the Holborn escalators would normally each carry around 80 people per minute, with more standing than walking. Theoretically LU expected to see this rise to more than 110 people, with the escalators filled with standing passengers on both sides. The results exceeded expectations, with a recorded increase of 30%. An escalator that carried an average of 2,500 customers between 8.30 and 9.30am on a normal day, carried around 3,250 when it was designated standing only for the same five-day period.
>>
>>1034132
Go away Jerry
>>
>>1034137
only when it's packed
>>
>>1034137
1. It's a long ass escalator.
2. It's more efficient for everyone to stand as the escalator is being used to its full capacity, when the escalator is being used to its full capacity.
>>
>>1034137
Perhaps more people opted to use the stairs instead of being forced to stand like an imbecile?
>>
>>1034226
Big words for a little bitch
>>
File: 1468211227608.png (55KB, 217x190px) Image search: [Google]
1468211227608.png
55KB, 217x190px
>tfw full sprinting on a moving walkway because you're about to miss your flight
>>
File: stairs.jpg (682KB, 989x1024px) Image search: [Google]
stairs.jpg
682KB, 989x1024px
>>1034226
>Perhaps more people opted to use the stairs instead

No. They only counted the number of people using the escalator.

Feel free to use the stairs if you like. I'll see you later.
>>
Everyone in this land knows that you're supposed to stand on the right and keep walking on the left.
But whenever the place is packed there is this one bitch who just randomly stops walking on the left side and ruins the day for everyone behind them.
Sadly, not many people are good enough to call strangers out on their bullshit in such a situation. Just politely, but assertively ask if you may pass through and they'll make room for you and the dozens of people behind you.
>>
>>1035474
Thing is, you can't bitch so someone because of something they're "supposed" to do. If there's no law or regulation, they have no obligation to do it. Some people just have terrible spacial awareness. My mom for example will just stop walking right in the middle of a very busy sidewalk, wrecking havoc. She doesn't think anything of it, and when I point it out to her, she just gets pissed off.
>>
>>1035477
People that retarded should be executed.
>>
File: jjjlol.jpg (28KB, 801x534px) Image search: [Google]
jjjlol.jpg
28KB, 801x534px
>>1034078
>mfw the fatass meat eater breaks the wall thing
>>
>>1035477
>>1035501
Many escalators do have signs asking people to "stand on the right, walk on the left", see this one for example: >>1035470
It is true that some people have terrible awareness. But it seems to be a problem of most of the general population, not just your mom and a few other people.
Stopping dead in your tracks is one more of those deadly sins. Attempting to board a train or bus while there are still people getting off is another. There is also an overabundace of people who think it is fine to clog up the seats next to them with bags. The worst ones are those who put their bag next to the window, sit next to the aisle and pretend they don't hear you when you ask them if you can sit there.
>>
Escalators should be reserved for people who are mobility impaired like the elderly or disabled. The problem is that we rarely see stairs next to them these days, so the only option is to take the escalator.
>>
>>1035605
Just turn them off.

>elderly or moblity impaired?
Swipe your ID and get access for 30 seconds while everyone else makes way because you're providing them a free lift.
>>
>>1034087
My thought as well. Just shuffle onto the escalator and you're golden.
>>
>>1034137
>It's more efficient for everyone to stand, as the escalator is being used to its full capacity.
From an energy standpoint, it's more efficient to stand on the way down and walk on the way up. That way, your muscles are contributing some of the work needed to lift your weight upstairs, and then are allowing all of that stored gravitational energy to be absorbed into the escalator on the way down.

In theory, you could design an escalator to be powered entirely by it's riders this way. The problem is getting the riders to cooperate (maybe just make the down escalator way faster?).
>>
>>1035678
>In theory, you could design an escalator to be powered entirely by it's riders this way
A down escalator, yes, but the up one would still need external power. Of course you could replace the up escalator with stairs, but that would defeat the purpose of an escalator.
>>
>>1035682
What if the down escalator powered the up one, at least partially?
>>
File: Road-cone-escalator.gif (3MB, 225x400px) Image search: [Google]
Road-cone-escalator.gif
3MB, 225x400px
>>
>>1035686
Frictional losses of the down escalator and then inefficiencies of an engine drawing power from it probably make it not worth it. If no one is on the down escalator either then any power gained might be negligible.
>>
>see chinese lady getting sucked into the elevator mechanical shaft
>barely able to pass off her baby to a shocked onlooker before she dies
and thats why i only use elevators in america.
>>
>>1038357
Man I hope you never run into any elevator accident videos
>>
>>1034094

I visited London recently and it was funny to see all the rushing wage people stuck behind a tourist and all they do is suck their teeth and roll their eyes looking very angry but so afraid to even say "excuse me"

>They all stay behind the whole ride and gently brush past the tourist on exit thinking that they proved some point.

A whole country of cucks
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.