[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Toronto Subway

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: TTC_subway_map_2023.svg.png (757KB, 3056x2030px) Image search: [Google]
TTC_subway_map_2023.svg.png
757KB, 3056x2030px
Should the long term transit planning right be stripped from Toronto mayor and given to an expert committee?

Toronto can't seem to go 4 years without ripping up current expansion plan which already got budget allotted then diverting it to something completely retarded (Mel Lastman's Sheppard Line, Rob Ford's Bloor Line extension to Scarborough -- both of which failed economic analysis spectatularly, but proceeded anyway. Former is bleeding hundreds of millions of dollars in operating and financing costs while the latter is heading into construction despite warnings of massive operating losses for decades to come).
>>
File: meh.jpg (3KB, 125x93px) Image search: [Google]
meh.jpg
3KB, 125x93px
When are you guys gonna build the Downtown Relief Line?
Seems like you need that more than that meme Scarborough extension.
>>
>>1031632
We're working on it. iirc the DRL should be entering the Environmental Assessment stage soon. The biggest problem is funding it. Currently the cities plan would cost $4 - 6 Billion which no one seems to want to pick up the tab for. Add an extra $2 Billion or so if we go with the Metrolinx plan to build the DRL to Don Mills (i.e. the REAL DRL).
>>
>>1031668
Why not just build a six-car LRT instead of building heavy rail like Yonge-Spadina line?

DRL traffic probably won't be as heavy as Bloor-Danforth.
>>
>>1031689
Most estimates put DRL usage at about 24,000 passengers per hour during peak hours. For comparison the BD moves about 28,000 per hour during peak hours and the YUS moves something like 36,000 per hour. Keep in mind the 24,000 estimate is if the line makes it to Don Mills. The short version to Pape however would likely still clear the 15,000 minimum needed to warrant a Subway. The DRL to Don Mills alone is believed to draw at most 20,000 riders from the YUS alone with the remainder being diverted off the BD and new development along the line. So basically building anything but a Subway would be a catastrophic failure in planning.
>>
>>1031701
How do you even put dual track heavy rail tunnel + platform under Queen though?

Some stations will have to be two story (each story having one track and one platform).
>>
>>1031703
Yea thats where things get real complicated and even I have wondered how it will work. The Environmental Assessment will be very interesting when it comes out since that is where these questions will be answered.

However I can pretty much guarantee that it won't run directly under Queen but likely Richmond.
>>
>>1031689
>Why not just build a six-car LRT instead of building heavy rail like Yonge-Spadina line?
Because right now YRT sends a lot of people to Finch station which is why the yonge line fills up so fast. If the DRL goes to Don Mills then YRT can divert traffic to Don Mills instead of Finch
>>
>>1031703
Storey*
>>
>>1031429
I thought Eglinton was supposed to open in 2021 and then they commence work on Finch west?
>>
>>1031873
No Finch West construction starts next year. Sheppard East won't start until after the Crosstown.
>>
>>1031941
>Sheppard East
I hope this doesn't get built. Councilors will put up a hissy fit and it will trigger too many people's autism to have a subway line end and turn into an LRT line.

The solution I thought of is decommission the subway and run light rail from Yonge street through the tunnel until Don Mills, then run it at grade all the way to Scarborough TC. There's already tail track and tunneling from Yonge to Senlac, so they coud then run the Finch line east from the new Finch Station, then south along Bathurst, then east along Sheppard and connect into the tunnel at Senlac. No need to build an underground station at Senlac either, they could just build an at grade stop. is would give complete cross town connection from Humber college in the west to Scarborough TC in the east and it would re-purpose the tunnel and subway stations on the sheppard line, it would bury about a quarter of the sheppard/finch corridor and it would ensure a single seat ride across the northern part of the city.
>>
>>1031948
The problem with this is that the cost to retrofit the existing stations for LRT use wouldn't exactly be low. We would have to drop the platforms to LRV level which would also mean elevators, escalators and stairs would need to be torn out and reinstalled. Of course the entire line would need to be re-gauged to Standard gauge as well.

The big problem though is that this would require the Sheppard Line to be closed and thus we come to the Scarborough extension problem. The Sheppard only moves about 54,000 passengers per day which isn't much from a Subway perspective. However the TTC doesn't have enough buses to fill in the gap created on Sheppard nor does the TTC have the storage space for extra buses if we had them.
>>
>>1031970
>We would have to drop the platforms to LRV level which would also mean elevators
Or just raise the tunnel floor which would just be pooring cement.
>>
>>1031970
Expropriate land, lease buses, put a hurry on LRT tunnel work
>>
>>1031972
You would also need to you know take up the tracks then put them back in, but that isn't much. The problem now becomes ceiling height. If the track bed remains where it is then everything but the platforms are ok. However if you raise the track bed then we run into the problem of not having enough clearance for the pantograph.
>>
>>1031970
Run one line as a back and forth shuttle until the lrt is done on one side
Repeat
>>
>>1031976
>pantograph
Right I forgot about this.

Lowering the platforms would probably be easiest

What about my idea of running the finch line down Bathurst to Sheppard?
>>
>>1031981
Probably wouldn't work since putting a ROW on Bathurst would reduce it to 1 lane of traffic in each direction. There really is no easy way of getting around the problem on Sheppard unfortunately.
>>
>>1031988
Sheppard line triggers me so hard
>>
>>1032020
Well unfortunately any type of work on it will always be expensive. Expanding the line would cost billions and the numbers just aren't there to support it, and conversion to LRT as discussed is its own nightmare.

Also we can't just close it because then we would just be unloading 54,000 more passengers onto the Sheppard bus.
>>
>>1032025
Billions of development has gone up along the subway line, it just took some time. Ofc for planning it would be stupid to build it just for the sake of it but maybe the subway would have more ridership if it went somewhere relevant
>>
>>1031970
What about high-floor LRV like they have in San Diego or Calgary? I know it's not standard for the TTC but would it be so awful to have high level street platforms? They could make it work. I think the platforms would still have to be lowered (or tracks raised) but it would only be by a few inches as opposed to several feet. Then the line could be complete from Downsview to Meadowvale in one go with no transfer.
>>
>>1032097
>Downsview to Meadowvale
Well if you're going off my idea of carrying the finch line south then the finch line could run south on Dufferin/Allen road and link up with Sheppard at current Downsview station. So it'd go from New finch West station, south on Dufferin, East on Sheppard, then into the tunnel and so forth.
>>
>>1032097
I wonder why we didn't go with high floor LRV's as well. For the actual streetcar lines it makes sense since most don't run on a ROW but for the LRT I can't really find a reason low floor won out. I been in one of the mock-up LRV's and much like the new streetcars I really don't like the seating arrangement and tight corridors. This could have been avoided entirely with high-floor vehicles exactly like what is used in Calgary and Edmonton.
>>
>>1032161
Probably the cost of high level platforms, ramps, lifts (maybe) etc. Plus low floor is the trend worldwide though you are 100% correct the layout is garbage.
>>
>>1032161
Low floor for accessibility
>>
File: 1480191804303.jpg (23KB, 750x514px) Image search: [Google]
1480191804303.jpg
23KB, 750x514px
Let's move discussion here guys
>>1031360
>>1031360
>>
Has a Monorail ever been considered? It would likely cost way less and be functional much sooner than a subway
>>
>>1032327
See
>>1032173
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.