[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Toronto Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 350
Thread images: 25

File: download (12).jpg (65KB, 578x291px) Image search: [Google]
download (12).jpg
65KB, 578x291px
Any TTC friends here? What's your opinion of street cars, subway, Scarborough subway extension, new LRT lines et al.? How to fix this city?
>>
>>1031360
I'm no Torontonian, but I'm a big fan of Toronto's Streetcars. I get that the service is pretty meh, but it's the only full-sized 1st gen streetcar system in north america. And that's literally BASED. AS. FUCK.
>>
>>1031360
It's to late to fix it. For years they never expanded the system. They let it fall apart and wasted money. Now they are stuck with a system that is badly in need of expansion and the cost is right out of this world.
>>
>>1031384
If they just forbade cars from driving on the tram tracks the whole system would improve loads at a negligible cost.
>>
File: 873c5fec7cb5978c75c264e1fb497fb7.png (241KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
873c5fec7cb5978c75c264e1fb497fb7.png
241KB, 1024x512px
>>1031385
That's a proposal for the downtown section King Street. Make it street cars only and expand the side walks to allow for more street vendors and patio space for restaurants.
Several lines are right of way lines like 510 Spadina and most of the Queens Quay line and St Clair

What that anon is talking about is probably our spars subway systems

The red on this map is a line that has been proposed since the 80s but never built
>>
>>1031387
Why must everything be so complicated? Why can't Toronto just not allow cars on streetcar tracks on any street that has at least one more lane in either direction for cars to drive on (eliminating street parking if necessary)? Obv a full ROW is better, but this would cost literally zero dollars, maybe a bit of paint to write STREETCARS ONLY on the street. That's fucking it.
>>
File: Queen-West-Streetcar-632x418[1].jpg (97KB, 632x418px) Image search: [Google]
Queen-West-Streetcar-632x418[1].jpg
97KB, 632x418px
>>1031389
Queen Street, King Street, Dundas, Bathurst, et al. It would be unreasonable to eliminate car traffic on those roads. The roads that were wide enough, like Spadina and Queens Quay have separated lanes for street cars, but it isn't possible for most other lines.Getting rid of street parking on many streets is unreasonable too.

The King Street proposition to make it a pedestrian and transit way is already facing scrutiny from business and offices along that route because it prevents delivery vehicles

pic is of Queen street car
>>
>>1031389
this is relatively new, like last 10 15 years that they made ROW on Queen's Quay and about 10 years ago they made ROW on St Clair Ave.
>>
>>1031391
>Getting rid of street parking on many streets is unreasonable too.
kill yourself
>>
>>1031393
>Killing businesses for your gentrification fantasies.
Drink bleach.
>>
>>1031394
>removing street parking = killing business
>improving public transit = killing business
>even though everywhere in the world where this happened business has improved
eat rat poison
>>
>>1031396
Toronto is a city that a lot of people commute to, and the public transit isn't adequate to completely rely on it. So unless you expect people to park at subway stations in the suburbs and use exclusively transit then you can't get rid of street parking. It would drive businesses out of the city
>>
>>1031397
>So unless you expect people to park at subway stations in the suburbs and use exclusively transit
That's exactly what I'd expect, and people will do so if parking downtown is too difficult. And as soon as this would be the case, the argument for improving public transit would be ever more powerful.
>>
>>1031398
No, people will just not go downtown
>>
>>1031405
says the slob who buys clothes exclusively from mall stores
>>
>>1031466
desu I just order my clothes online because my social anxiety is so bad I can't go shopping or try things on. If the online vendor doesn't have a return policy I have a younger, and an older fatter cousin I just gift extra clothes to.
>>
>>1031405
Yeah, right, because the main reason people go downtown is because of the excellent parking opportunities. Not like it's a pain in the ass already and that they go because of the shopping and restaurants, no, it's because they can park on the street.

You fucking dunce.
>>
>>1031489
There's shopping and restaurants in Mississauga and North York. People would avoid going downtown if they couldn't park anywhere.
>>
>>1031491
>anywhere
>literally was talking ONLY about streets that have just the tram lanes and parking lanes
why do people do this? Talk like losing a bunch of parking spaces or a bunch of lanes will make all hell break lose? This happens literally everywhere anytime that car space is reduced, and guess what: There's not one single example in the whole world of businesses closing down because of the loss of a couple of parking spaces or lanes.
>>
>>1031494
You have never been to this city. You do not know how this city works. You can't magically think your idea of removing street parking will work you massive retard.
>>
>tfw from Markham
>tfw getting anywhere is unbearably slow because it's cager central
I hate the suburbs
>>
>>1031510
I'm from Oakville, we have the lake shore west line every 30min which is pretty good. Our bus service is only really good for getting to and from the GO train station though
>>
>>1031360
>How to fix this city?
pet peeve; kinda wish they'd stop renovating stations on the line and put some cash / intelligence into basic infrastructure - my local, Woodbine, is getting a masssive reno right now; they actually expropriated property to add another entrance on the other side of the street, but for years for years haven't been arsed enough to get the escalators running the right direction in rush hour. Also, Pape is fucking ugly.
Otherwise... Well, adding incentives for transit usage and dissuading people from driving downtown would make sense obviously, implementing and enforcing existing lane usage rules (ie bus, taxi, and bike only) and separating streetcar tracks would help streamline surface service also.
Underground the real problem is the sheer number of people coming in to work from the burbs - a third line on the Bloor Danforth would have made it possible to run express trains at peak hours but a bit late for that now.
>>
>>1031542
Well for the Woodbine deal they kinda legally have to build a new entrance, same with Greenwood and Donlands. Warden and Islington's bus terminals will be torn down in I believe 2022 and rebuilt since the TTC has to be fully accessible by 2025. Warden and Islington face the same problem Victoria Park did.

In retrospect sure we could say an Express track on the BD would have been nice, but at the time no one would have known, not to mention when you look around the world Chicago and NYC are the only subways with dedicated Express tracks (although not the only ones which offer an express services, see Tokyo).
>>
>tfw Queen LRT will never be built in our lifetime
>>
>>1031502
>you have never been to this city
>assumes I'm not from Toronto
>even though I fucking am
kys you dumb nigger
>>
>>1031542
>run express trains at peak hours but a bit late for that now.
Thank fuck Go transit offers this on the lake shore line. Cuts my commute by almost 20min
>>
>>1031559
Then you're an actual retard if you think we could get rid of street parking on Queen or King
>>
>>1031360
Shitty city in the first place

You should come here. As of noon yesterday we have the largest fully automated train network in the world
>>
>>1031597
Where's here? Some European shit hole?
>>
I volunteer at the Toronto Railway Museum downtown, right across the street from the CN Tower and Skydome, have any of you guys come and seen it?
>>
>>1031646
I believe he is referencing Vancouver since the Evergreen extension just opened. Part of me relly wishes the SRT was fully automated instead of semi-automated because atleast then we could take some of Vancouvers Mark I trains instead of having to refurbish ours with what we have left for the second time.
>>
What about making a central tunnel for King/Queen streetcars? Say from Parliament to Bathurst. Under Richmond or Adelaide, then have the streetcars return to street running once they leave the densest part of the core. Is that too insane. Kinda like the Muni Metro in SF or the Green Line in Boston or the trolleys in Philly.
It's a compromise but the streetcars are so fucked during rush hour it's honestly better to walk most of the time and thats goddamn embarrassing. Also DRL NOW
>>
>>1031795
That is literally what the original Queen Streetcar Subway was. However like most plans it was never built. That being said any tunnel around Queen Street is pretty much out of the question now since that area is pretty much all DRL territory as of the Environmental Assessment.
>>
Article on toronto transit

http://www.theglobeandmail.com&service=mobile
>>
>>1031878
Fuck wrong
>>
>>1031592
>these two streets which only allow street parking on some parts totalling maybe a couple hundred cars at a time which in turn total not more people than fit in two or three streetcars are totally necessary to keep shops in business
>but having those same streetcars stuck in traffic doesn't affect those businesses at all
nigga you dumb
>>
>>1031795
>build a fuckexpensive tunnel just so cars don't lose two lanes and a few parking spaces
a couple of underground parking garages would not just be cheaper, they'd pay for themselves with the parking fares. jesus with fucktards like you no wonder this city is beyond fucked.
>>
>>1031908
>underground parking wouldn't cost hundreds of millions of dollars
It would take decades senpai. The city would need a loan from the city if they are to implement more parking downtown and probably expropriate land.
>>
>>1031945
You get private contractors to pay for it, and they in turn get to run the garages. Jesus fuck it's not rocket science.
I hate people like you who have a problem for every solution with a deep passion.
>>
>>1031979
>private contractors spend hundreds of millions for parking facilities they don't have office or retail buildings on top of

top retard.
>>
>>1031360
TTC needs more funding end of story. Lowest rider subsidy in North America. Bus network needs more reliability and subways/LRT need to be made in high traffic routes like Finch, Jane, Eglinton etc.

Tbqh we're getting fucked because of MUH CAGES voters in Etobicoke
>>
>>1031405
Lol retard I hope hicks like you stay in Markham or whatever shithole you're from.
>>
>>1031996
Lol retard
>>
>>1031995
scarbexit cant happen soon enough
>>
Does anyone here read Steve Munro? Best in depth information about the TTC by far. He seems like he'd post on /n/ too
>>
>>1031994
>private contractors won't pay for parking facilities which are literally a gold mine and will pay for themselves in less than 5 years
kys
>>
>>1031908
I don't think you understand. The issue isn't parking, it's that streetcars can't move well in mixed urban traffic. So either you close the roads to cars, ban parking or bury the streetcar lines so they don't mix with vehicle traffic. It's not about parking, it's about encouraging transit flow. If the infrastructure makes it impossible to provide a reliable service then it needs to be fundamentally changed. And don't go on about how buses would solve that problem...
>>
Let me add - one thing that TTC has going for it, unlike most NA cities is that people actually ride it. Buses are heavily used, subways are full, streetcars are jammed. There is less of a stigma against riding public transit (at least in Toronto, I bet riding the bus in the 905 is viewed as being for poors).

The ultimately fucked up thing is that despite this, and despite a huge fucking pent-up demand for new lines downtown where the density is, the fucking provincial government and the idiot suburban councillors push for new lines where there is no ridership potential and lines will 100% lose money.
It's a fucking travesty and a waste of limited transit dollars.

Ford set the city back by a decade with his populist fuckery.
>>
>>1031775
I got smashed at the steam whistle then rode the mini train once
>>
>>1032094
I have an autistic fantasy that if I ever become a billionaire, I'll buy the TTC and fix every single problem with my own money.
The irony is I don't even live in Toronto, I just don't want the transit system to be 3rd world tier
>>
>>1032093
>I don't think you understand. The issue isn't parking, it's that streetcars can't move well in mixed urban traffic.
I think you don't understand what I'm talking about. The whole point of this discussion was banning cars from streetcar tracks, ie making streetcar-only lanes without a full ROW. The thing with parking was just that you need one lane other than the streetcar lane for cars, so on some parts of some streets this means no street parking.

I really don't get why you people need all these mental gymnastics to convince yourselves that a simple scheme like this is too much to ask, that it's full-on ROW or nothing, or that the city will collapse because it loses a handful parking spaces or a bit of road-space.
>>
>>1032094
>905 is viewed as being for poors
Yeah and it's not very extensive or frequent. In Oakville there's a bus literally 30seconds from my house that will take me to the Go Station and it comes every 30min. Since they've improved service I've used it more frequently, especially if my intent is to go downtown to go to bars, I don't need to worry about my car at the Go Station. Oakville has also started a night bus that waits for the last train (around 1:30am) from Toronto and then does basically a taxi service for everybody on board. So improving our bis service has drawn me to it, then again Im a public transit junky so maybe it's still not so popular
>>
We're moving our discussion from here
>>1031429

To this thread. We were discussing the LRT lines on the books in the north part of the city (Sheppard and Finch) and weather or not the sheppard subway could be converted to LRT and run a single transit line from humber college across finch, down Dufferin to Sheppard, into the subway tunnel at Senlac, through the subway tunnels to Don Mills, maybe extend the tunnel to the other side of the 404, then at grade along sheppard to STC
>>
>>1032174
I think the endgame is that the Sheppard LRT is completely abandoned in the next few years. Unless they can come up with an engineering solution that rids the line of the transfer at Don Mills *and* delivers it at a relatively cheap price.
>>
>>1032224
>engineering solution that rids the line of the transfer at Don
Well tunnel it so you get off both trains at the same platform level, or retrofit the subway tunnel to run LRT trains
>>
>>1032224
>Sheppard LRT is completely abandoned
This
Anons idea of running it through the tunnel has already been studied; in 2009 there was a metrolinx study done on sheppard east finch west and how to connect them. Plan 1 is to make the connection between finch and sheppard at Don Mills and keep the subway

Plan 2 was to run the line down Allen then into the subway tunnel on Sheppard as per Anons suggestion

Then plan 3 was 2 separate lines all together. Of course plan 3 would be easiest and plan 2 most expensive because converting the subway.

There will be another provincial, federal and municipal election before construction on Sheppard is slated to begin so who knows what will happen
>>
Why did the TTC re-lay tracks on Richmond if there's no route there? There are tracks on part of Adelaide too. Why not use those streets to put some relief on the King line? Run "express" street car lines across Richmond (west) and Adelaide (East).

I'm not sure if there is a wye at Bathurst and Richmond or Adelaide but if there were, the TTC could run "express" cars along Richmond and Adelaide from Bathurst to Parliament.

Is this a good idea?
>>
>>1032351
There used to be routes along those streets but they became obsolete when both subway lines were put in

Richmond is still used to divert the Queen car sometimes too
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4vDUOJyRuM&t=8s
>>
>>1032679
Well first of all the Eglinton issue is because of the Crosstown. Who would have thought that underground construction would affect the surface. Clearly you were never here to witness Yonge and Sheppard when the Sheppard line was being built.

Secondly the reason for weekend closures is simply because night crews only have at most 3 hours to do work before the first trains come out. One weekend closure equals 2-4 weeks of night shifts. So we can either close a section of the line for a weekend and get weeks worth of work done, or we can do night shifts but increase the time it will take to complete the work. However you seem like someone who will bitch no matter how the work was done.
>>
I mean, it was a good idea if it actually used rapid transit vehicles. This is just going to use short GO trains right? Will it even be built?
>>
>>1032679
>chinks
On Spadina and Dundas maybe, I barely see Chinese people in this city, most immigrants I see are Indian
>>
File: smarttrack_fb.jpg (126KB, 1200x687px) Image search: [Google]
smarttrack_fb.jpg
126KB, 1200x687px
>>1032713
Pic
>>
>>1031360
Toronto needs to get rid of single family zoning and height restrictions.

>inb4 new urbanist memelords

Also tolling the 401 and eliminating parking requirements for new builds helps.
>>
>>1032716
>tolling 401
Toronto can't toll a provincial highway. Tolling the Gardiner expressway and DVP are already on the books though
>>
>>1032717
Oh right, silly me!
>>
Question for Torontonians, the track on Church street appears (from streetview) to be mostly in operating condition except for the northbound track being cut off at King st., is there any plan to ever bring back streetcar service, or why is this track still kept?
>>
>>1032722
>northbound track being cut off at King st., is there any plan to ever bring back streetcar service, or why is this track still kept?

It exists because it used to connect bloor street to the king street car line but once the subway went in most people would just stay on the subway until Yonge to get downtown so the Church route was no longer necessary. It used to serve Adelaide and richmond of which only richmond has functional track on it and that's to reroute trips Incase of roadwork or street closures
The tracks might be used to move street cars between two lines if they need to divert traffic but idk if there ever be ttc service on churches street car track
>>
>>1032713
>>1032715
SmartTrack at this point is just an expansion of GO RER that will likely run at RER frequencies (10-15 minute intervals). It will use whatever EMU's GO decides to use. The only thing actually being built of SmartTrack are the new stations which the City is on the hook for.

SmartTrack still has a shitload of unanswered questions but at least it assures the Crosstown will be extended to Pearson.
>>
>>1032801
Well its good to know you don't have a counter-argument to the weekend closures. Typical coming from someone like you, bitch and complain but offer no practical solution to the problem. Here's a word of advice, if you're going to be a bitch and complain maybe you should also have a realistic solution to back up your complaints. As it stands now weekend closures are the fastest way to get the work done, so if you have a faster way to do it I would love to hear it. Remember 1 Weekend = 2-4 weeks of night shifts so if you can come up with something better lets hear it. If not you can shut the fuck up.
>>
>>1032801
The Allen was supposed to cut through ravine land south of Eglinton over to Spadina then go down Spadina and connect with the Gardiner. Shortly after it was canceled the subway went it. I think it was smart to have those few above ground stops between the Allen: at least it wasn't a total waste
>>
>>1032715
>surface rail subway

kek
>>
>>1032860
Sounds dumb but he meant like subway style vehicles
>>
>>1032787
>Crosstown will be extended to Pearson.
Imo the Mississauga light rail on highway 10 should also connect to the airport
>>
>>1032805
Work still happens at night, it is just general maintenance of the line. Large scale projects like the conversion to ATC though take longer and more work. Unfortunately this work becomes uneconomical when you only have at most 4 hours to do the work. The last train leaves the line at 1:30 and the first one comes on at 5:30 so any major work only has a 4 hour window do any work that is needed. I can't comprehend how you are failing to see the advantage of getting 48 hours to do the work is worse than only getting 4.

Essentially what you're advocating is that all work gets shifted to the night shifts thus increasing the amount of time it would take to complete something like the conversion to ATC. If the TTC was to switch all ATC work to night shifts it would be literally impossible to get the YUS converted by 2019.

Also heres another kick in the dick, the track bed around Davisville is about 60 years old and sinking, unfortunately lack of investment and council kicking the can down the road has caused the issue to compound. Currently the TTC estimates that to fix the issue would require a couple months of that section of track to be closed (6 is the longest I've seen). Now obviously if we were more like Japan we could get it done in a night but you and I both know the city would never hire the thousand or so people required to pull of such a feat.
>>
>>1032981
It's worse when you consider that it takes them 45 minutes to set up and clear out. Really they're only going to get 150 minutes of work done per night.
>>
>>1032992
Did a union employee touch you in a bad way when you were a kid?
>>
Somebody wanna ride a bunch of street cars with me one day?
>>
>>1033173
yes
>>
>>1033176
I'm 25m no homo
hmu [email protected]
>>
We need a rail line across northern toronto or York region
>>
>>1033363
Use the 407 corridor for this
>>
File: 20161007_094500.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161007_094500.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
The ttc is horrible. I moved to Toronto from a shitty 3rd world country and the transit there was much better.

>never on time
>everything is always under construction
>subway closures almost every single day
>subway smaller than bucharest's even tho toronto is 3 times bigger
>bus drivers are actually retarded
This had happened so many times, literally leave the bus running, full of people at the stop just to go get coffee. Also, run over every single curb ever.
>fare prices and passes are stupidly expensive.

Pic related, how many stations are open on the yonge university line (main line and busiest) on a weekday morning, the ones with lights on are how far the subway is going.
>>
>>1033513
I forgot, no air conditioning on the subways when it's 40c outside and the switch to presto and getting rid of all other passes in the coming year but presto doesn't even work properly yet, not all busses and stations have them and almost everyone is against it. But since they're getting rid of the regular ttc passes soon anyway, why not raise the fare anyway for however long they'll still be used for, so fucking stupid.
>>
>>1033363
>>1033483
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/407_Transitway
Hopefully somewhere in the near future
>>
>>1033513
>I moved to Toronto from a shitty 3rd world country
Maybe you should go back
>>
>>1033541
Bus rapid transit is the biggest cop out
>>
>>1033513
>subway smaller than bucharest's even tho toronto is 3 times bigger
Because the communist government in Hungary was able to rip up the streets and bury the line without opposition. In all those shitholes with metros it was all done with cut and cover. Toronto could never get away with that anymore and tunneling is crazy expensive
>>
>>1033557
I am moving back after I finish university.
>>
>>1033541
I'm talking about a commuter rail line so to get from northern suburb to northern suburb you don't need to go through union station
>>
So there's that hydro corridor that runs north of Kipling station basically to the airport. Why not run a rail line through that hydro corridor and connect it to the eglinton lrt west line that will go to the aiport then operate express kipling to airport service? Ofc it could just be Kipling to Eglinton LRT connection too. This would eliminate the airport bus
>>
What's your opinion on this maze?
>>
>>1033590
I always have to go up to street level to figure out where I am
>>
>>1033652
I just know how to get from Union station to my office and back, and from my office to the Eaton centre
>>
File: Etobicoke RT.png (3MB, 1920x973px) Image search: [Google]
Etobicoke RT.png
3MB, 1920x973px
>>1033577
Well then here is something you may not know. That corridor was originally intended for the Etobicoke RT. There is a disused platform on the south side of the Kipling Bus terminal (the glassed off area) where the RT would have stopped. The line was going to be like the original SRT, an actual LRT line which would have used ALRV's. However once the Province pulled the ole switch-a-roo on us with the SRT the plans for the Etobicoke RT were dropped completely. There is not much information about the line except that it would have run from Kipling to Pearson and then at some point would branch off to York University. I plotted my own map off the line using what little info we have; I would guess it would have stuck to he hydro corridors but who really knows.
>>
>>1033654
It makes so much sense to do it that way. Stops could be right on the streets, so like 3 or 4 stops before Eglinton, then it could wye onto the Eglinton extension to the airport. Then run 2 services;
Kipling to Airport express train, and Kipling to some station on Eglinton.

At Kipling station they could tunnel the LRT to the westbound/terminus platform, then the line could surface in the hydro corridor and we're off to Eglinton with only 3 or 4 intersections.

I see your map uses ravine lands and the hydro corridor there. There is already a bus that runs express from Downsview, across the hydro corridor and to York University. I'm assuming this will become obsolete when the subway opens up there though.

Anyway, my Kipling idea is pretty good, do you agree?
>>
>>1033675
You won't have the population density around Kipling station to make that really relevant. Bus service works well there. If the Jane street LRT is revived, that could serve your plan to connect a mid-subway line station to Eglinton and furthermore to the airport.

If Metrolinx/TTC were smart they would discount UP-Express cost to people who transfer from the subway at Dundas West station. This would encourage more full trains and more people using the UP-Express as a commuter rail to work, not just a luxury express train. Make it cost another $3 instead of $7 from Dundas West and there's your cheap alternative to the airport, making your Kipling idea or Jane LRT to Airport even relevant at all.
>>
>>1033675
As >>1033676 said the route doesn't have the passenger numbers to support an LRT. For instance the route would parallel the Airport Rocket which only moves about 4,000 passengers a day, that's about 220 an hour which falls way below the 3000 pp/h the TTC mandates to warrant an LRT. However that is just one bus route, and obviously the demand for a way to Pearson can play into figures as well. As a comparison the SRT moves about 40,000 passengers a day which averages out to 2,222 pp/h (if only it were that evenly spread out).

>>1033676
>If the Jane street LRT is revived

It sort of is, its kinda in a state of Limbo. iirc the City and Metrolinx do have it on their list of things to be built in the next 15 years. The issue with the Jane LRT is that it won't be cheap since the section south of Wilson would likely need to be underground due to lack of road space. The figures are old but the Jane LRT was expected to move about 63,000 passengers a day (3,652 per hour).
>>
>>1033684
>since the section south of Wilson
So like 90% of it? Even north of Wilson it could run through the ravine lands up to Finch
>>
>>1033363
There is a line there, owned by CN I believe. The freight trains use it instead of going through union station which has freed up tons of rail for commuters.
Any commuter rail around the 407 wouldn't serve as dense an area. Yeah, it would be convenient for rail but Steeles brt and other bus services cover that area. GO transit has a 407 bus that does exactly what you suggested btw, rail would be a huge investment and undercapaciry
>>
Why does it take so long to lay tracks along finch?
>>
>>1033925
Well assuming you are talking about the Finch West LRT it's because A) they have to lay 22Km of track (11 in each direction) and B) they have to be installed in the ROW which itself needs to be built. No one knows if it will be a solid concrete ROW like on Spadina or if it will be a grass one like on Eglinton.
>>
>>1033946
That takes like 5 years?
>>
File: Livery.jpg (244KB, 1199x802px) Image search: [Google]
Livery.jpg
244KB, 1199x802px
Surprised that this hasn't been posted yet.

New bus livery.

https://twitter.com/bradTTC/status/804046701438889984
>>
>>1033953
Well I also left out station construction, specifically Finch West which will be underground. Then there is the yard which also has to be built. Actually laying track is the easy part, its the yard and underground section which take the longest.
>>
>>1033955
I thought it was jusr a paint job not new buses
>>
>>1033957
Livery: a special design and color scheme used on the vehicles, aircraft, or products of a particular company.
>>
>>1033959
I don't know these things
>>
>>1033955
that is one sexy livery

jelly af pham
>>
>>1033955
I just saw a clrv painted like this on king street
>>
File: athens subway.jpg (100KB, 800x878px) Image search: [Google]
athens subway.jpg
100KB, 800x878px
the entire subway system is a fucking disgrace for a city of this size and worldliness

like I don't fucking even. I live in one of the greatest and most advanced cities in the world, love transportation systems and particularly mass underground tunnels, and all we got is a dysfunctional cross they add tiny bits to the end of in order to act like they're doing something

there are so many smaller cities with much bigger and more advanced subway systems. shitholes in eastern europe and south america have systems that makes ours look like the mini tourist train in theme parks.

this fills me with such an incredibly deep anst. motherfucking ATHENS is the most debt ridden shithole on the planet and yet their system puts ours to shame. a fucking disgrace
>>
>>1034052
>there are so many smaller cities with much bigger and more advanced subway systems. shitholes in eastern europe and south america have systems that makes ours look like the mini tourist train in theme parks
Because in these countries they do cut and cover and people can't complain. Tehran is building a subway at $25million/km because they're just digging a ditch. Tunnel boring is incredibly expensive, especially when the city is on the hook for most of the cost.
In a lot of those shitholes with expensive subway systems it was federal funds that built them. Not so easy for us.
Tbh Toronto's biggest problem is just not making up it's mind on things. If councilors can say yes this is the relief line and this is the new Scarborough transit, it will cost $10billion, lets dig
Then it would be easy and the province and feds wouldn't balk at paying up. The province committed almost $8billion to Transit city, only to have the next guy cancel it. The feds under Harper committed $600m for the Scarborough subway extension and the city put those funds toward upgrading the switches on the YUS line.

The real problem is the municipality having too much control but no idea what the fuck it is doing. Metrolinx should just takeover transit building and let the TTC operate it
>>
Bombardier will miss the 2019 deadline for streetcar deliveries. What a surprise?
>>
File: 20161215_173730.jpg (3MB, 2976x2976px) Image search: [Google]
20161215_173730.jpg
3MB, 2976x2976px
Just took this from the Sheraton

Toronto is an okay city
>>1034135
>>
>>1034055
The true, condensed answer is that north american cities are cucked by cagers. They live too far apart to make commuter rail that effective and veto cost transit investment in the urban core of cities
>>
You know nothing, Toronto man. NA is just bad at creating transit systems.

Your "cut and cover" bullshit excuse is not true in the least.

And cut and cover is not a question of "complaining", but whether a specific line can be built in this way due to the layout of the city/planned route.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-16-12-01-16.png (927KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-16-12-01-16.png
927KB, 1440x2560px
>>1034334
>but whether a specific line can be built in this way due to the layout of the city/planned route
Yonge university line and bloor were cut and cover. They can certainly do it in the middle of a city but people would complain. Hell upgrading the st clair street car caused tons of complaining. You know nothing of how subways in other countries are constructed. The most recent full subway system installed in North America is in Washington DC and it was all federal funds.

Also here:

http://www.cipremier.com/e107_files/downloads/Papers/100/25/100025043.pdf
Pic related. Now come up with your own fantasy as to why shithole cities have expansive subway networks.
>>
>>1033955
Whew lad, not bad.
>>1034135
TTC should just get Kinki Sharyo to build them.
>>
>>1034402
>TTC should just get Kinki Sharyo to build them.

Problem is that the Canadian Content law gets in the way. Unless Kinki Sharyo or any other company is willing to build a plant in Canada (or Ontario for that matter) it's not likely to happen. Currently iirc Bombardier and Alstom are now the only companies that meet the requirement.
>>
>>1034430
>Canadian Content law
What content laws? A few of the UP Express trainsets are Kinki Sharyo made.
>>
>>1034435
Maybe not a law but somehow during the purchase of our Streetcars the Canadian Content rule made its way into the contract stipulating that something like 25% of production had to be in Canada. At the time Bombardier was the only company that met this rule. I really have no idea how Metrolinx got around it; unless of course Kinki Sharyo has a plant in the country somewhere.
>>
>>1034435
>UP Express
this train triggers me so hard. Why the fuck does it stop in Weston? It makes sense to stop at Dundas West on bloor because of the subway (if of course there were a fair reduction from going from the subway to UPX) but Weston is just a waste. Nobody fucking lives there who would travel frequently enough to take an express luxury train downtown or to the airport. Just a way to add an extra 3 or 4 min to the ride. Also the Dundas west station needs to be more incorporated into the subway station. You basically need to walk across a parkinglot to switch from subway to the go train/upx but it seems like totally different stations
>>
File: 1316137081925.png (4KB, 302x237px) Image search: [Google]
1316137081925.png
4KB, 302x237px
Anybody wanna ride streetcars with me tomorrow? I'm 25, pretty cool guy imho, I like trains and stret cars, just want to make some friends in the city.
hmu, 6478953076
>>
>>1034441
What triggers me about the UPX is that atrocious livery, I litterally don't understand why they didn't use the Metrolinx scheme like what is being used on the GO Trains.

>Also the Dundas west station needs to be more incorporated into the subway station.

Believe me the TTC and Metrolinx want nothing more than this but the Crossways stands inbetween the two and the owner has pretty much shat on every tunnel plan since they don't want any tunneling under the complex.
>>
>>1034444
>Crossways stands inbetween
what is provincial legislation? The city could just ask, and since the province owns UPX they could do whatever the fuck they want.
>>
>>1034444
also, nice quads
>>
>>1034444
fuck i wish there was a better way of getting to and from the subway from the bloor west stop. hate having to walk like half a km just to get to it

sucks even more when its raining or snowing
>>
>>1034455
sucks even more that you're paying extra fair to switch between transit. Here in Oakville if I go from Go Train to Oakville transit, the bus is only 70 cents istead of $3 which is full fair, and my GO train trip gets deducted $2.30 if I take the bus first.

TTC needs to do this shit if they want to encourage more continuous transit. Kipling Go has the subway right next to it, Long Branch GO has the street car right next to it. Exhibition has both buses and the Exhibition Loop to get to Bathurst or along Queen's Quay.

The East end of the city probably has a bunch of connections between GO and TTC too. If the fairs were integrated it would be way better. Right now from the GO train the quickest way to the subway is going from Oakville Go to Mimico Go and getting the Royal York bus up to Bloor, OR going to Exhibition and getting the Bathurst street car up to Bloor.
Each time i pay a full TTC fair. At least buses now have Presto but it's still shit to pay extra fair.
>>
>>1034451
>>1034455
Okay so I looked into it a bit more and the original plan was for the tunnel to be completed by 2017, however that obviously isn't happening. In March Metrolinx said that it would take 5 years to construct the tunnel due to the need to expropriate land.
>>
>>1034459
> 5 years

lol cant wait to see the ribbon being cut in a decade

>>1034458
at least UP takes presto now, makes it somewhat tolerable wish it was much lower priced would make it so much more viable
its a fantastic service but priced horribly. dont want to bother taking it sometimes when i fly in to yyz but much more comfortable then taking the bus and takes me right up to the bloor subway station
>>
>>1034461
I've only ever taken it to and from Bloor Station because I had a friend who lived off of Roncesvalles. Even still with 2 of us it's over $10 to union station and an Uber would be like $8.

That line should be promoted as a commuter service; get people off the Subway who are heading to Union or Downtown anyway, actually fill the trains; by Bloor if the train's not full it's not going to get more full right? And just discount the fair by like 50%. Tons of people would pay for an express service if they work within a few min walk of Union Station and it was a comfortable transfer between Dundas West and Bloor station
>>
tfw so rich I can cab home whenever
>>
>>1034712
I'd rather spend ttc fair and spend longer than pay $50 for a cab to the other end of the city, no matter how rich I was it just seems like a waste of money
>>
>>1034712
>getting fucked in the wallet by cabbies
yeah no
>>
>>1034881
when you're really drunk, live over 1hour via transit away and just wanna get home it's worth the $50 imo. It's just part of the expense of a night out.
>>
How come when you tap your Presto card on the TTC it doesn't display your balance remaining? It does on GO but none of the TTC readers.
Will it ever display? Is this technology beyond the great minds at the TTC or are they just using those bigass LCD screens to say "Card accepted"and nothing else?

Why are we spending millions of dollars on this shit?
>>
>>1031360
I'm from Montreal and I went to Toronto to visit a friend recently, was pretty disappointed with the transit.

I lived near the kensington market on college and markham, which i reckon is a pretty central location, and it still took me like at least 30 mins of walking everything I was going out to my buddy's flat downtown cause theres no metro in that area...
Are the metros only for people living super far in the suburbs or what?
>>
>>1034989
Most bus services go to the subway/metro stations. Also once you're downtown and in the areas close to downtown then streetcars are the main transit
>>
>>1034992
streetcars sucked though, they never came. At least it was in september so it was still pretty nice outside and I didn't mind walking around the city, but if it was the winter not having a underground heated space to wait for transit is so shit, especially when its not a totally negligible distance like the one I was doing
>>
>>1034993
The college street car is every 10min I think. Downtown they're more frequent.
ALso when the new bombardier cars which have AC, it will be so much nicer.
>>
>>1034995
>new bombardier cars
in 10 years maybe
>>
File: Torontofuckingsucks.jpg (321KB, 1025x678px) Image search: [Google]
Torontofuckingsucks.jpg
321KB, 1025x678px
The TTC is the biggest steaming piece of crap transit network i've ever used! And I'm from fucking South Africa. Want to commute anywhere? HAVE FUN WAITING 20-30 MINUTES FOR YOUR BUS BECAUSE WHO KNOWS WHEN OR IF IT'LL SHOW UP

No matter what time of day you board the buses are packed to the brim because they underserve so many areas. And those street cars? Good luck using them in winter!!! no heating. Want to enjoy them in summer? NO AC. Then we get down to the subway which is mediocre at best. There's like 3 lines, 2 of them which are broken half the time or the staff is on strike. It is UNBELIEVABLE. And next we have the train service which is garbage. Want to go to Guelph or something? It is an hour driving then it takes like 5 hours to get there by train. Same with London. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THIS KENYA TIER SERVICE.

In Pretoria I can just board a train and go to Sandton on one train without ever transferring. Here you need to go on like 5 buses to get anywhere! Anyone from Toronto needs to be shot, and the politicians need to be shot for operating such a shit service.

On top of sucking up tax dollars IT COSTS MONEY. And you know those presto cards? when you board the bus and they don't work no fault of your own YOU ARE KICKED OFF because their system is shit.

Toronto should be ashamed of themselves! People shouldn't have to deal with this absolute garbage and pathetic system I felt like I was visiting LA.
>>
>>1035166
http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Projects/New_Vehicles/New_Streetcars/index.jsp

Already operating on some routes.

>>1035182
what the fuck?
>>
>>1035182
>Anyone from Toronto needs to be shot
bit rude
>>
>>1035182
Woah pal, take a seat and have a drink
>>
File: CLRV.jpg (531KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
CLRV.jpg
531KB, 2560x1920px
I <3 CLRV
>>
>>1035182
haha, good rant, sums up public transit in north america really
>>
>>1031775
Work at the tower, go to Steam Whistle tours for free. Should swing by for the train tour too
>>
>>1035308
The train museum is garbage. $5 to enter and you can't get anywhere near the awesome steam train. At most you can use the train simulator which is slightly cool but doesn't justify the price.
>>
>>1035200
thats what all ttc drivers are doing on the job
>>
>>1035201
They're falling apart tho
>>
File: image.jpg (77KB, 720x718px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77KB, 720x718px
What a joke Toronto is. Really.
>>
>>1035368
Those cities are bigger and denser than Toronto
>>
>>1035369
Oh really? Bigger than the MEGACITY? How is this possible? The Star, CBC, Sun, CityTV love spouting off about the sheer SIZE and IMPORTANCE of a WORLD CLASS city! It's WORLD CLASS.
>>
>>1035371
shut the fuck up
>>
>>1035373
Fuck you Townie. Fucking Hogtown piece of shit. With your underlined-U subway system. Ya got Line 1 and ya got Line 2. That's it. World class.
>>
>>1035368
>le subway is the only useful transport maymay
many cities have small subway networks and large tram systems and have great public transit, like Vienna for example.

You people just can't into public transit. You could build all the subway you want, it'll still be shit. Putting money into a city that's run by idiots doesn't make those people stop being idiots and learning how to plan efficiently.
>>
>>1035371
Toronto is the greatest city in the world. On one block Greeks on the other street you have Jamals and Tyrone's gangbanging. Food from all over the world on one street. A mosque next to a church right by a synagogue! No where else on the planet will you find something this wonderful. Everyone lives in absolute harmony with one another. Jobs are plentiful, incomes are rising. Lots of high quality housing on top of a superb road network.
>>
>>1035200
That's the only way I can cope living in a first world country with third world transit. Why would any sane person not run a high speed electrified rail alone the shoreline? You could easily do it from Hamilton all the way to Bowmanville allowing for a much larger area for housing therefore lowering property costs, decreasing dependency on roads, and making everyone happy. But instead the government wastes a billion dollars on a gas plant they never built anyway. It doesn't make any fucking sense yet people keep voting these people in.

Now they're adding in road tolls on top of that nonsense. They'll just keep pilling on fees to more and more roads for no reason. It is a bad precedent and the "$2 fee" will suddenly go up and up! Then you get the carbon tax on top of it.

Oh and selling off hydro one? Let's just fuck over the rest of Ontario so we can build projects where liberal voters are! They don't give a fuck about anyone but themselves.
>>
>>1035389
>superb road network
haha its just like swiss cheese with the all the pot holes you guys have
>>
If transit was planned by density then Toronto would have an incredible system where it's needed. Instead we have a system planned by politicians who are in the pockets of developers so we build fucking subway lines out to Vaughan but not downtown because "downtown already has enough subways". If we keep letting our cities be planned by housing developers (as we have since the 1950s) then transit will forever suck and be expensive.
However, in the North American context (as low a bar that is) Toronto does have a decent transit system - that is being crippled by provincial and federal meddling and starved for operating funds by a tax-averse council and mayor.

That about sum it up?
>>
>>1035389
And yet.. still better than most cities on this continent - depending on what you're looking for obviously.
>>
>>1035392
To be fair, the government IS building an electrified rail system along the shoreline to Hamilton.
>>
>>1035427
Not to Bowmanville and it certainly won't be highspeed as long as it is sharing tracks with CN and CP.
>>
>>1035427
Link?
>>
>>1035182
It's way cheaper to operate buses to those cities every hour than to operate trains
>>
>>1035201
Nevar forget
>>
>>1035434
Nobody gives a fuck about Durham region
>>
>>1035481
Sorry it's a bit late but here you go
http://www.gotransit.com/electrification/en/default.aspx

>>1035434
It says core regions so probably no on the former, but as for the latter, they already operate on an exclusive right of way in their core areas, for example on the lakeshore west line.
>>
>>1035630
Oh right RER
I thought it was only within Toronto city limits but i guess not

Are they doubling the Barrie line North of Eglinton? It's a single piece of track all the way north from Eglinton to Barrie
If they want to improve service they need to lay more track
>>
>>1035642
Part of RER and all day service projects involve doubling track. I would imagine the Barrie line would be a prime candidate. They are already working on the Stouffville line south of Steeles
>>
>>1035642
>north from Eglinton
Nigger, it's a single track from Dundas North.
>>
>>1035642
The whole Barrie line is fucking dumb. If there's to be commuter service to Barrie they should spend the money to follow the 400 instead of winding East to new market the back north west
The whole trip is like 2 hours
>>
>>1035182
The British should have genocided the Boers
>>
>>1035694

Is it possible for them to actually double track certain parts of the Barrie Line? It looks like that they might have to expropriate quite a bit of land from what I have seen from the satellite images since there is a decent amount of commerical / industrial properties are built along the track

>>1035701

The Barrie Line is descended from the Northern Railway of Canada, which is one of the earliest railway lines in the country. Building dedicated track along the 400 would probably mean they'd bleed money since it'd serve basically no one but Barrie and Vaughan residents

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Railway_of_Canada
>>
>>1035724
That map isn't accurate, the Barrie line banks almost as far East as Leslie street after hitting New market
>>
>>1035724
If the 427 is extended north and there's more development between the 400 and 427 you could easily have over a million people between Vaughan and Barrie
>>
Should it trigger me that sometimes the GO locomotive pushes the train instead of pulls it?
>>
>>1035724
You're acting like there's something wrong with expropriation
>>
>>1035771
This triggers me with the commuter trains in Montreal... But I probably have autism
>>
File: download (4).jpg (457KB, 1280x827px) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
457KB, 1280x827px
>>1035823
GO=Government of Ontario. In this picture the train could be going either direction. Fucking hell.
>>
>>1035841
It's going in reverse
>>
>>1035844
Reverse or forward? You don't know, it could be pushing not backing up!
>>
File: western shunt.png (2MB, 759x841px) Image search: [Google]
western shunt.png
2MB, 759x841px
>>1035841
>>1035844
the trains have a place to shunt on the western terminus, but have to reverse out of the downtown terminus. the trains looks nice coming in during the morning rush, though

vaudreuil-hudson line in montreal
>>
>>1035748

It goes slightly east of York Region Road 34 (or whatever it is after Bayview), but never reaches Leslie

>>1035749

The only problems I can see are MUH GREENBELT and even if there are more developments along those highways people will just ended up driving and cause more sprawl

>>1035784

There's nothing wrong with expropriating land to double-track, but I don't doubt there will be resistance from some business owners and NIMBYs
>>
>>1035869
>but never reaches Leslie
Key word almost
>>
>>1035869
That's normal par the course of expropriation. You can't make everyone happy. (((They))) won't allow it
>>
>>1035896
The province should just go ahead and expropriate the land necessary to build the tunnel between Dundas West ttc and Bloor Go/UP station imo
Fuck the crossways
>>
>>1035903
Not that anon but it is that is exactly whats going to happen as I said here >>1034459 however construction will stake take 5 years, or so Metrolinx says. To me 5 years seems a little excessive considering the tunnel it self will be less than 200 meters. To really put that into perspective, the DRL from Pape to Osgoode is expected to take 10 years to build, so I find it really hard to believe it would take half the time to build a tunnel not even a fraction of the length or as complicated.
>>
>>1035906
Maybe they have to tunnel it by hand and with small machinery? The DRL will use those massive fucking tunnel boring machines. Some short 200m tunnel probably has to be done with a mini backhoe and men with jack hammers.
I'm just speculating ofc
>>
>>1035368
Honestly NYC is literal trash and Paris and London are too fucking expensive
>>
>>1035402
I used to shit on the roads in the GTA as well, until I went the Jersey
>>
>>1035375
Why did you decide to shit up our thread?
>>
Why are there tracks on Adelaide?
>>
>>1035998
>Why are there tracks on Adelaide?
So streetcars can use them
>>
>>1036052
But there's no overhead wire
>>
>>1036091
I'm sure catenary will go up at some point. They use the Richmond / Adelaide tracks for diversions and I think at point it was used for the 502/503
>>
>>1036096
Richmond actually has tracks all the way across, most of Adelaide's tracks East of York street have been paved over
>>
>>1036100
Aren't they rebuilding there Adelaide tracks when the street gets torn up?
>>
>>1036101
I'm sure they would have to because Richmond is only good for detours going west, because Adelaide and Richmond are 1 way streets.

I suggested earlier in the thread that if Adelaide had functioning tracks they could offer 504 express cars from Spadina to Church then back down to king

They could even offer trips from Spadina station to Broadview via Adelaide/Richmond then eastern avenue, with limited stops between
>>
Bunp
>>
>>1036471
But why?
>>
>>1036486
Because fuck you that's why
>>
When will we revive the urban spirit and nuke the burbs? Cagers have controlled urban planning and public transportation investment for too long!
>>
>>1036500
When we de-amalgamate and revert back to a Metro council. realistically though I really do feel that with how close the GTA is coming together there really needs to be some sort of Metro council for the GTA. I would say abolish the Peel, York, and Durham systems and create a new GTA wide Metro council because moving forward the region is going to become more integrated and without some sort of oversight its just going to be a dumpster fire like it is today.
>>
>>1036500

>Implying that will be possible with a mere 2.7 million

Come back when Toronto has at least 4 to 5 million residents, but that would also give Toronto another set of problems (other infrastruture to support more people)

>>1036501

If you are going to do that you might as well figure out some way to secede from Ontario and form some sort of Greater Toronto Region as its own Province [lolnospoiler] and watch the trage-medy unfold as the rest of the Ontario implodes without GTA taxes [/lolnospoiler]
>>
>>1036501
How would having a metro council be any better? The burbs still outnumber downtown regardless and the ttc and police and etc would be under metro's jurisdiction
>>
>>1036508
kek a GTHA province would be like 40% white
>>
>>1036509
Well unfortunately there is no way to eliminate the burbs from the process. It's not like we could jsut upload the TTC and other transit agencies into Metrolinx because

a) The province would have to start subsidizing again since Metrolinx is a provincial agency... You and I know they won't do that

b) Metrolinx has shown that it has little to no concept about planning and operating transit on a local scale

c) As history has shown, when it comes to transit plans the province is the last group you want to trust. Basically if it is a provincial idea, you turn and run the other way.
>>
>>1036501
>sort of Metro council for the GTA
That's the purpose of Metrolinx
>>
>>1036521
>. Basically if it is a provincial idea, you turn and run the other way.
>Scarborough RT
>>
>>1031405
Conclusion t idk
>>1031398
Is some kind of multi-storey parking somewhere hard?
>>
>>1036607
>multi-storey parking
Extremely expensive to use land downtown for above ground parking
>>
Just took the sheppard line for the first time
Pretty cool how there are express buses from don mills station to pape
>>
>>1036832
And the route is still shit
>>
>>1036845
The subway was okay
>>
>>1036890
Sure if you like going from nowhere to nowhere.
>>
>>1037055
Well I was going to Don mills and finch from downtown Toronto, so I took the subway up to yonge sheppard, then Don mills, then got a bus
>>
I made this for you guys :^)

youtube.com/watch?v=9Lx-JlhV7nA
>>
Article on subway extension

https://news.google.ca/news/amp?caurl=http%3A%2F%2Fglobalnews.ca%2Fnews%2F3153336%2Fbehind-the-scenes-look-at-the-toronto-york-spadina-subway-extension%2Famp%2F#pt0-765768
>>
>>1035182
>And you know those presto cards? when you board the bus and they don't work no fault of your own YOU ARE KICKED OFF because their system is shit.

Policy is you ride free if the system is down, if the HSR can do it there's no reason TTC can't.
>>
>>1037578
This is the policy in oakville too
>>
>>1037230
thanks pham
>>
took the UP train for the first time, sure beats sitting in traffic if you're going downtown, should still be cheaper it wasn't very busy and this was right before/after Christmas!
>>
Presto is also a piece of shit. I got a presto card in the beginning of the December because they said they're phasing out metropasses for presto in 2017. I take the subway everyday downtown and bac, I live in Scarborough and I've only used the presto card 2 times to pay. The rest of the times I wasn't able to because it just doesn't work. And no they don't let you go without paying even tho it's their fault the shit doesn't work. They make you pay a cash fare. Honeslty I don't think there's a city as big and "developed" as toronto with a shittier transit system. Cities a quarter the size in 3rd world countries have better transit.
>>
Anyone down for an /n/ meetup? I have no friends. I'm taking a woodworking class if anyone wants to join
>>
>>1038081
I'd be down to ride streetcars desu
>>
>>1038042
They need to integrate the fare with the TTC so somebody could get off the subway or streetcar to Dundas West station and take the UP downtown or vice versa
This would ensure more full trains
>>
>>1038116
Where are you located? I'm in Hamilton
>>
>>1038211
Oakville, near Bronte station
>>
Monarch park niggas stand up
>>
>>1038211
How old are you?
>>
>>1038276
East York is a hole
>>
>>1038285
I'm not in East York. Literally on the south side of Danforth
>>
>>1038284
I'm 19, how old are you?

Kik me if you're interested. Made an account
>>1038219
>>1038276
>>1038285
JKVZ1 is my username
>>
>>1038295
I'm 25
>>
>>1038295
Not a kike
>>
>>1038295
E-mail me i don't use kik
[email protected]
>>
So is there going to be a covered connection from the Bay concourse to union subway station?
>>
>>1038693
Eventually yes
>>
>>1038699
I saw today it looks like there's a lower level in the Bay concourse that opens up at the same level as the subway station

Is the lower bay concourse and lower york concourse going to be connected?
>>
>>1038701
Check with metrolinx but I think yes
>>
>>1038704
Can cinfirm yes
>>
>>1038704
Fuck the path desu. Got lost as fuck today
>>
>>1040017
>he can't follow signs
>>
The sheppard line is such a joke wtf, its NORTH of the 401

what other north american city has blasted rapid transit tunnels OUTSIDE of their orbital highway?
>>
>>1040049
>the 401 is Toronto's orbital highway
>>
>>1040037
The signs are useless unless you know the names of the buildings
>>
>>1040057
How hard can north south east and west be? You must be literally retarded
>>
>>1040058
they don't say North or West, the signs just say "you are now entering TD Centre ,that way is First Canadian Place"
>>
>>1040060
They do have cardinal directions. They've had it for a while. Look harder next time
>>
>>1040070
No they don't. T Somebody who takes the path to work every day.
In some places there are maps, which again are useless except for finding subway stations because they don't have any surface references on them and the signs are pretty useless if you don't know the building names. If you're lost in the path it's best just to go to the surface somewhere or ask for directions.
>>
>>1040072
he means the coloured arrows on the signs dude
>>
>>1040072
And as someone who takes it everyday for work I highly advise you check again
>>
>>1040074
the coloured arrows like
>>1040073
said aren't entirely clear if you don't have them memorized or have an entire map in front of you.
>>
So the Scarborough Subway report has been delayed again. The gift that keeps on giving.
>>
>>1040559
imho the tunnel borers should be already in the ground
>>
>>1040560
They should never be in the ground to begin with. What a fucking waste of time and money
>>
>>1040631
it makes sense to extend the subway instead of rebuild the RT though. Or there should be a way to run the subway above ground along the right of way
>>
>>1040636
It makes zero sense to build a subway further out from Kennedy when half the trips taken in Scarborough are to get to another place in Scarborough.
>>
>>1040663
So u think rebuilding the RT or more subway stops?
>>
>>1040737
Convert the RT to an LRT line
>>
>>1040806
Tbh i agree with this
>>
>>1040806
How to do this when it's still operating(
>>
>>1040952
The line is beyond end of life, it needs to be decommissioned whether it gets a subway, LRT or nothing as a replacement.
>>
The new streetcars are breaking down 6 times sooner than expected.

>We really can't catch a break

>>1040952
Conversion to LRT would require the RT to be closed. However that being said the RT probably won't survive until the Subway opens so its probably going to be closed anyways within the next couple of years regardless of whether an LRT is built or a Subway.
>>
>>1041010
>>1041006
What is so horribly wrong with the RT?
>>
>>1041046
this.

Its only 30 years old.
>>
>>1041046
Well its 30 years of age is the first reason, but the main reason is that it is an orphaned system that is completely incompatible with everything else in the TTC. Back around 05-06 the TTC did consider buying the new Mk.II vehicles (although this would have required some stations to be enlarged). Around the same time David Miller had the idea for Transit City and the RT to LRT conversion became a thing. The biggest benefit to the TTC (one that is never discused) is that the conversion to LRT would make the line compatible with the other LRT lines and thus the line would no longer be orphaned. As well the RT has been nothing but problems since it opened and the TTC would love nothing more to get rid of it, considering they never wanted it in the first place.
>>
>>1041054
What do you mean by orphaned?
>>
>>1041060
It means that there is nothing else like it in Toronto. The SRT is permanently isolated from the rest of the system simply because it uses a different track gauge, propulsion system, electric current pickup, and smaller vehicles. Maintaining the RT as it is wouldn't fix the problem, whereas converting it to LRT would make it compatible with the other LRT lines like the Eglinton Crosstown. This is sort of why the TTC doesn't object to the Subway proposal even though they know it is dumb; simply because it gets rid of the RT so no matter the outcome the RT is gone.
>>
>>1041061
I hope they do the lrt and the subway idea gets shelved desu
>>
Just saw ACLRVs on King
I guess they're using them on king since half the Queen line is down
>>
>>1041886
King always had at least one ALRV operating
>>
>>1041987
I saw 2 in a row
>>
Fuck the elevators in first Canadian place desu
>>
>>1041994
>elevators
>public transit
>>
>>1042149
The transport the public up and down nigger
>>
>>1042159
It's not a public building you retard.
>>
>>1042149
there actually is an elevator between jersey city and hoboken that is used as public transit

mostly since there are few roads connecting the two
>>
Mississauga here. I go on the subways and streetcars almost every week, subways are so bad. Don't get me wrong, they look beautiful and have some nice history, but the management is trash. Every couple of years they bump up the price while maintaining it the same. Within 15 years the subways will be obsolete. Done end of story. Streetcars are okay, nothing too good or bad.
>>
>>1042187
>Mississauga
>leech
>>
>>1031487
lmao
>>
>>1042165
Anybody can just walk in
>>
>>1042187
>Every couple of years they bump up the price while maintaining it the same.
iinflation
>>
>>1042187
>Within 15 years the subways will be obsolete. Done end of story.
This renders your entire post invalid
>>
Why does it take 5 years to build this LRT when the tunnel is already finished?
>>
Gonna visit toronto for a week soon, staying with relatives in scarborough. Assuming I get dropped off at a station, how's transit getting into and around the downtown core? Also, is there anything worth seeing in toronto? I was planning on just wandering around, and taking snapshits.
>>
>>1042552
The aquarium is pretty cool. The CN tower is expensive but I guess it's okay.
Once you get to the Scarborough RT then to the Bloor-Danforth subway you can get downtown easy. Or the GO train might be faster I'm not sure where in Scarborough you'll be.
As far as downtown transit, easiest would be street cars or yonge-university subway
>>
>>1042499
Building LRT isn't just laying down rail and tunnels. The stations still need to be finished, power and power delivery systems, maintenance facility, etc. Also you must understand that the LRT is being built down a very busy arterial road
>>
>>1042552
Get a day pass. Not sure what the weather will be like but if you get a chance you could check out the Toronto islands
>>
File: IMG_0795.jpg (2MB, 3022x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0795.jpg
2MB, 3022x3024px
>>1042552
Maybe the Royal Ontario Museum?
>>
>>1042552
The University has some cool architecture if you're into that. If you're on /n/ I'd assume you like trains at least somewhat and there's a railway museum right across the street from the CN Tower, I volunteer there, it's actually pretty cool.
>>
>>1042596
the ROM is decent desu, so is the science centre but it's kind of far out of the way
>>
>>1042606
I stuff beer cans in the trains on display there when I drink before jays games desu.
>>
>>1041061
>>1041068
Can the EL structure be retained and the tracks pulled out?
>>
An article about East Harbour, a future multi-modal transit hub.

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/01/east-harbour-transit-hub-making-toronto

Additional information and renderings:
http://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/east-harbour
>>
File: East Harbour.jpg (46KB, 640x530px) Image search: [Google]
East Harbour.jpg
46KB, 640x530px
>>1042674
Forgot pic.
>>
File: 20170120_171225_HDR-1.jpg (1MB, 2582x1936px) Image search: [Google]
20170120_171225_HDR-1.jpg
1MB, 2582x1936px
>>
>>1042674
They should move the coach terminal down there
It's in a stupid spot around bay and Dundas imo
>>
>>1042836
It's moving to union bus terminal when the condos get built over it
>>
>>1042674
This is useless without the bayfront streetcar and the cherry Street extensions
>>
>>1042632
That's what they were going to do with the original LRT plan. Although I think they needed to do something with the one of the curves or grades
>>
Also new bread when?
>>
>>1042836
Muh historic building tho
>>
As the importance of transportation between the various cities in the GT(H)A increases, what do you see for the future of the GO network? I think electrification and double tracking with through running service at Union would carry the network as far as it needs to go.

European service patterns vs, new world commuter orientation
>>
>>1042847
I can see GO becoming something similar to the S-Bahn or the Commuter services you find in Japan. A hybrid of regional and commuter services operating like an urban system if that makes any sense. With electrification, double tracking and lower headway's I have no doubt that more stations will also be added giving GO a more urban feel. We know that more stations are to be built in Toronto and the extension to Bomanville will also see a second station built in Oshawa.

If anything I can see GO turning into the old GOALRT plan.
>>
>>1042848
>I can see GO becoming something similar to the S-Bahn or the Commuter services you find in Japan. A hybrid of regional and commuter services operating like an urban system if that makes any sense. With electrification, double tracking and lower headway's I have no doubt that more stations will also be added giving GO a more urban feel
This is smart track
>>
>>1042875
Yea and SmartTrack is literally just GO RER with a different name.
>>
>>1042876
Stil his post is pointless
>>
>>1042835
[[eurobeat intensifies]]
>>
>>1042847
All well and good except how are riders in the suburbs getting to the GO stations? There will never be enough parking and the suburban bus service is horrendous. We need an urban planning revolution for any more frequent service to work and I'm afraid that will never happen!
>>
>>1042892
I'm down to just gas all suburbanites
>>
>>1042847
We need a 407 rail line imo
>>
>>1042892
Bus service to the go station has improved this year. Buses are still 90% empty and only come every 30min though
>>
File: Screenshot_20170121-184229.png (423KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170121-184229.png
423KB, 1440x2560px
>>1042149
>>1042165
The "public" in "public transit" means open to the public, not run by the government.
>>
>>1043107
You're talking about a building, not transit. Try again
>>
>>1043114
They're talking about the elevator, which is transit. It moves people from one place to another.
>>
>>1043116
Elevators are not public transit
>>
>>1042619
Don't be such a dick m8
>>
>>1043123
What if it's a public elevator, huh?
>>
>>1043130
It's not a public elevator. And it's not transit
>>
>>1043134
What about that elevator to the tunnel at University and Front? That's a public elevator
>>
>>1043152
>>
>>1043266
>t. autist
>>
>>1043272
>T. Dumbass
>complaining about autism in an autistic shit posting visual forum
>>
>>1043266
Why not?
>>
File: GOLDEN TRUMP.jpg (35KB, 512x490px) Image search: [Google]
GOLDEN TRUMP.jpg
35KB, 512x490px
>>1043273
Just because you're autistic doesn't mean everyone else is.
>>
>>1043278
>implying there's anything wrong with being autistic
>>
Elevators transport the public, therefore they are public transit.
>>
>>1043282
Elevators are not for everyone, and they are not public transit
>>
>>1043285
They can be for everyone. The one at University/York/Front street interesection is a public elevator to access the tunnel connecting to Union Station
>>
>>1043287
An elevator to access public transit is not public transit
>>
>>1043285
>high floor buses are not for everyone, and they are not public transit
see the flaw in your argument now?
>>
>>1043304
No. The general public does not include cripples
>>
>>1043289
It's not to access transit it's to access a public tunnel
>>
>>1043324
Who owns the tunnel? And the elevator?
>>
>>1043379
City of Toronto I guess. It's labled part of the path system
>>
So it's confirmed, elevators are public transit
>>
>>1043555
>>
Should we make a new thread? Maybe a Canada wide thread next?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-24-21-20-40.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-24-21-20-40.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
content://media/external/file/19410
>>
>>1043877
No, fuck all other irrelevant cities
>>
>>1044060
montreal tho
>>
>>1044078
>frogs
Irrelevant
>>
>>1044079
vangcovr?
>>
>>1044083
>chinks
Irrelevant
The only city in this country that matters is Toronto. Everyone else is just leeching off our tax dollars
>>
>>1044089
Yellowknife.
>>
>>1044100
New thread guys

>>1044105
Thread posts: 350
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.