[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Steam Railroad Rankings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: Steam Train Rankings.png (110KB, 1198x1345px) Image search: [Google]
Steam Train Rankings.png
110KB, 1198x1345px
This covers everything known with a track gauge of 12 inches (300 mm) or higher. All rankings are based on the number of working steam locomotives on its roster, length of the line it uses, and other things.

Summary: USA and UK are pretty even in scores, but when broken down by subnational entity (state, kingdom, province, etc.), England bends all the others over a barrel and rapes them repeatedly.
>>
File: snowdonian01.jpg (44KB, 615x346px) Image search: [Google]
snowdonian01.jpg
44KB, 615x346px
CHOO CHOO
>>
>>1030549
Only English speaking countries?
Guess there is more in other nations.
>>
Obsessed
>>
>>1030588
I would like to include other countries, but the info I need to make the scores is difficult to come by, so the language barrier is an issue, and if it's not a 1st world country, getting info that is up-to-date is almost impossible, if there is any info at all.
>>
>>1030696
Here you can find a list of preserved steam locomotives in Germany.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_preserved_steam_locomotives_in_Germany
>>
>>1030758
>This list of preserved steam locomotives in Germany makes no claim to being complete
>>
>>1030758
I checked this a while ago. The German language version and the English language version have a lot of contradicting info. Also, what I really need is some sort of reliable website that lists rosters of steam locomotives from railways in ALL countries, not just rich White countries.
>>
File: PorthmadogOpen-web.jpg (49KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
PorthmadogOpen-web.jpg
49KB, 615x409px
Also, FYI, the top-scoring railway on this list was the Ffestiniog Railway in northern Wales. They are the pinnacle of historic steam railroading excellence in the English-speaking world.
>>
>>1031020
>Wales
>English speaking
pick one
>>
>>1030549
Do you count railroads that uses both steam/(diesel/electric) trains, or steam only?
>>
Why do steam railroads still exist? Just for memes?
>>
>>1031203
ride one and you might understand
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/rail-journeys/harz-railway-germany-most-beautiful-steam-train-in-the-world/
>>
>>1031204
So for memes
Lets burn coal for memes
>>
>>1031198
Steam only.
To get on the list, a railway must have at least one active steam locomotive. At one point early on I did include diesels, but getting accurate info for that was extremely difficult. The question also arises as to whether you include those diesels used for track inspection, maintenance, or switching, and never used to pull revenue trains. I am exclusively interested in steam anyway, so I discard diesels.
>>
File: DLR722111.jpg (518KB, 900x552px) Image search: [Google]
DLR722111.jpg
518KB, 900x552px
>>1031214
It's historical preservation at its finest. Anybody can restore a historic building, but to bring an old steam engine back to life and keep it running is almost its own art form, due to how extremely difficult it is to do in terms of work, time, and money. Also, when people do a exceptional job with a heritage rail operation as a whole in terms of maintaining the historic "look" of the line, with restored historic buildings and rolling stock, it becomes a unique form of escape. You can ride on these trains and feel totally immersed in history, as if you traveled to a whole other time and place. Think of it in terms of how people "escape" from their daily lives by watching movies like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, except the environment in which you are located and all of the sights and sounds within it are real. Steam trains truely are a magical experience unlike any other.
>>
>>1031262
What I mean is that, a rail might be used by 1× steam locomotive and 100× normal EMU, does that count?
>>
www.eztravel dot com dot tw/event/2016-cruisestrain/index.html
Taiwan
Circumisland train cruise with steam railroad
Basically passes through all the mainline rails.
Does that qualify the entire Taiwanese mainline rail system as the steam railroad in >>1030549 's list?
>>
>>1031344
Yes. It can be on the list no matter the number of diesels as long as it has at leas one working steam loco.

>>1031596
Chartered trips don't count. Even if they did, I have a cap on all of the individual scores making up the main score, so if the length of the steam railroad's line passes a certain point, it's score in that criteria is maxed out.
>>
>>1032208
I see.
>>
>>1030549
Japan:
ttp://www.japaneserailwaysociety.com/jrs/steam/steam dot htm
Taiwan: till 2011:
ttp://tech.med.ncku dot edu dot tw/newsletter/2202/18 dot pdf DT668 and CT273 hace been repaired since then.

btw does gas turbine/gas turbine electric count?
>>
>>
>>1033739
>does gas turbine/gas turbine electric count?
No. Only traditional steam.

>>1034474
Your post got bitten by a vampire.
>>
File: Untitled.png (31KB, 1823x177px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
31KB, 1823x177px
Here's the Top 10.

Notice that the three US entries that made it this far are all in southwest Colorado and all three used to be part of the same rail line built by the legendary Denver & Rio Grande Railroad in the late 1800s (the Cumbres and Toltec is marked as being in New Mexico, but it actually zigzags back and forth between New Mexico and Colorado).
>>
EAST SOMERSET IS BEST STEAM RAILWAY

DEBATE ME UNBELIEVERS

But semi-seriously, it chuffs its way through the most beautiful, unspoiled countryside on this sceptred isle. It's a beautiful place to have a railway.

AND ONE DAY IT WILL BE USEFUL TOO.

2017 IS THE YEAR OF THE SHEPTON MALLET EXTENSION

ROB REED
>>
File: Untitled.png (130KB, 1823x817px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
130KB, 1823x817px
>>1037546
>List sorted by non-museum standard gauge heritage lines in the UK.

The East Somerset isn't even in the Top 20, bro.
>>
I remember you've been posting this list and revising for years. Stay strong, steambro.
>>
>>1038848
fuck yeah middleton railway
only redeeming feature of middleton desu
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.