[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dutchie Bikes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

File: 8_1.jpg (394KB, 2245x1258px) Image search: [Google]
8_1.jpg
394KB, 2245x1258px
Anyone got any experience with these bikes? They seem to be the most reasonably priced new Dutch mens bikes
>>
>>1030443
Dutch bikes are fucking trash.

t. Dutch former bike mech.

Go german if you want something nice
>>
>>1030484
They are so bad the Dutch rage quit and throw them in the canal rather than ride them
>>
>>1030443
The definition of a gaspipe bike.
Sturdy and agile like an anvil.
Good for coasting 15kmh on smooth asphalt.
Really horrible to repair if they need repairs.

Try them, so you'll never wonder what they're like again.
>>
File: ikea-sladda-bike-cart.jpg (42KB, 860x483px) Image search: [Google]
ikea-sladda-bike-cart.jpg
42KB, 860x483px
You'd be better off going for a Btwin Elops 300 or an IKEA Sladda if you want a decent town bike. Or a Vanmoof or Batavus if you're going dutch. You don't have to spend a lot to get a decent runaround but don't go scraping barrels.
>>
>>1030443
IDK. I would just get a beach cruiser with a welded on rack. Much cheaper, and probably not as heavy.
>>
>>1030663

Gave those a look and they're either not sold here like the Ikea or have similar componoents to the Dutch bike

>>1030685

That would be lighter but not cheaper. Either way I've never been a speedy rider so weight has never been a concern for me
>>
File: hema omafiets.gif (79KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
hema omafiets.gif
79KB, 450x450px
>>1030484
>>
>>1030785

Where's the brakes? Don't tell me it's rear coaster only
>>
>>1030789
of course it's rear coaster only, ever been to Holland? doesn't matter if you go 15 km/h anyway
>>
had a "Dutch" (Chinks) Gazalle Esprit C3 "damesfiets"
Actually an ok bike, rides well.

Just heavy as fuck (18kg, maybe 19kg), and the frame is way too upright to go faster than 20 km/h for longer periods. (at least for weak me)

A B'twin Triban 500 FB was a huge improvement, but that's a flat bar road bike.

Just get a nice hybrid with a butterfly bar.
Those super upright bikes are not good.
>>
>>1030794

Leaving my house I go down a mild incline but it's long so I pick up some speed even if I'm only coasting. Is a rear coaster brake by itself going to let me slow down or stop at the busy roundabout at its botttom?

How about if it's supported by a front brake as well
>>
>>1030785
what currency is this? Euro?
>>
>>1030867
Dutche Mark
>>
>>1030854
rear coaster is not designed to do real descends. A mild incline would be fine. They can break quite aggressively. You'll have no problem blocking the rear wheel.
On long, steep descends, the hub just gets hot and melts away the grease.
Did this once to a F&S Single Speed hob from the 60s. At the end the thing bled out its grease and I never got rid of the squeaky sound while breaking (would have had to change the break-cylinder presumably).

So, yes, you'll be fine.
>>
File: TransportU4N3-ZwartMat-Heren-56.jpg (357KB, 1000x621px) Image search: [Google]
TransportU4N3-ZwartMat-Heren-56.jpg
357KB, 1000x621px
>>1030879

Sounds like I will be but seems like a gamble when taking into account I've never ridden a bike with coaster brakes so I'll have to learn it.

This bike is only £50 more than the 3 speed version of the one in the OP and it's got hand operated drum brakes on both wheels
>>
>>1030889
drum breaks are the ultimate break for the close-to-zero-maintenance bike. You'll have not to worry about your break-pads for tens of thousands of miles.
But, like the coaster-break, it is not designed for descends. I had a SA XL FDD (90mm) in front and managed to overheat it. Breaking has been poor ever since.

But for the mild incline and light descends they work perfectly.

Which brand btw
>>
>>1030899

OP is Dutchie
The pricier one is Cortina
>>
>>1030900
meant the drum brakes
>>
>>1030911

shimano roller brakes
>>
>>1030912
roller break is different from drum break.
They have been around for some time but I can't say anything about them. I see them a lot and they seem to do the job (but are not designed for descends as well).
>>
>>1030914

Finding a dutch bike with bog standard v-brakes (front and rear) is not proving easy
>>
>>1030915
if you get a chance, go for a well maintained used high quality bike with drum brakes front/rear.
Dunno where you are but I would say you should go for Batavus, Gazelle, etc.
They are heavy but reliable and fun to ride. You will get more value for your money.
>>
They're for fucking C A S U A L S

so if you're a casual it's a fine choice I guess? But I would never think of buying one. Just not practical.
>>
>>1030443
>>1030785
>>1030889
>>1030915
Dutchie here,
If you're looking for a bike in The Netherlands, get a used one (Marktplaats), there are so many bikes in the country that good value/quality ones are hardly produced anymore

You can get a pretty good bike for 60-70, and then just modify it to your liking
>>
>>1030443
bought my wife a Linus. A little overpriced but pretty nice. Made in CA. 3 speed internal hub (can also get it in 1- or 8-speed), regular rim brakes, well-built, rides well. Might be worth checking out if you can get one where you live.
>>
>>1033586
>made in CA
You mean C(hin)A?
>>
I want one of these but I live in America, is there any possible way to even get one over in the states?
>>
>>1033647
Yes, that is what i meant. Seems reasonably well made, though. Pretty nice welds, etc.
>>
File: shimanoCBhub.jpg (15KB, 360x326px) Image search: [Google]
shimanoCBhub.jpg
15KB, 360x326px
So I did a bit more research on Coaster Brakes and the gist of it seems to be:
- you can't brake from great speed
>you can't go that that fast on an upright bike and even if you could I'm not fit enough to move at those speeds
-if your chain breaks you're up a creek
>in all my years riding no matter how well I have and have not maintained a bike not a single chain has broken on me
>>
File: IMG_1315 copy 1.jpg (4MB, 5184x6912px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1315 copy 1.jpg
4MB, 5184x6912px
I bought a Gazelle Primeur in Amsterdam for €99 and made it look like it does in the bottom picture. I rode it as a pedal brake for about 250 miles back home to the UK. It wasn't a great bike for touring but it did the job. I then turned into a fixie one I was home because that's what I do.

The bike is heavy as fuck and slow as fuck until I made it a fixie. I just keep it as my pannier rack/giving girls a backie bike.

As someone who only rides steel frame vintage fixies I would avoid Dutch bikes all together.
>>
>>1034368
Why not single speed?
>>
>>1034392
cause fixies are so fast and fun
>>
I've always wanted to have a Dutch bike for fucking around, but since those are apparently shit, I'd rather just save me trouble now. Thanks, /n/.
>>
Will things ever be this good again?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HgLqts3qJs
>>
File: P1080978.jpg (4MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
P1080978.jpg
4MB, 4000x3000px
>>1030443
r8 russian castom shyt called CУPA 111—552 19
>>
>>1035711
glorious.
>>
get a mens frame at least, the double triangle shape brings a lot of stiffness and they usually ride decent. The ones with womens frames are like riding a sponge and its just awful.
>>
As a Dutch person who has only ever ridden a dutch bike until today, I gotta say, this single speed bike I got, damn, it´s much faster and lighter in comparison. Not very practical though.
I´ll keep my Dutch bike for groceries and cargo, but use the single speed bike for quick hops and when I need a breath of fresh air
>>
Hate them they're trash.

And the people that ride them are clueless casuals who do absolutely no maintenance
which means it's a shit show when they show up in shop and I have to fix them

typically both tires have been flat the past 6months and they never noticed or even knew you had to air them up. and swapping out the tubes is a pita with that damn chain case
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.