[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trades and Transportation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: portland_bike_vet.jpg (112KB, 519x480px) Image search: [Google]
portland_bike_vet.jpg
112KB, 519x480px
Hey I'm an electrician who doesn't have a driver's license and I've been doing great without one. Not only that but even managed to land a service tech job without one, any other tradesmen on here want to talk about their lives without one?
>>
>>1030083
I'm interested in hearing about the challenges that come without having a car readily available. Wouldn't this disqualify you from many jobs as an electrician?
>>
>>1030084
have had 2 jobs ask for license out of many others
>>
>>1030084
it's all about calling every contractor in ur area
>>
>>1030083
So how long ago was your DUI conviction?
>>
>>1030083
I work in the trades in Philadelphia. Unfortunately the sporadic nature of "work in Delaware county one day and then work in limerick the next day" makes me require a car.

I take the train whenever I can and ride my bike for sport. Keep doing gods worj electricianbro
>>
>>1030094
no DUI conviction it was more of a lifestyle choice at the time, I was 16 and more of a computer nerd. I'll be honest it was hard at first where I didn't know how to find work, here in Los Angeles though a lot of hispanics don't have licenses, just drive off so I believe that's why it isn't much of a deal.
>>
>>1030138
Well how it works for me is that everyone meets next to the contractor's house and we all take a truck, I ride with someone and when we get there it's just work, then drive back
>>
>>1030188
I am also an electrician but this wouldnt work for me with any of the contractors I have worked for. I have had to drive up to 135 miles away for a single jobsite while carrying 300lbs of tools. I wouldnt mind finding a maintenance type job near by so I could just ride my bike in everyday... hell I'd probably be ok with a little pay cut to do that.
>>
I used to work as an electrician, there was a low vo guy who only owned a motorcycle, he would rent a van, move all of his tools and and equipment to a job, then commute there by motorcycle until the next job. Worked for him but he had to turn down work for logistic reasons. You're really limiting yourself, if you want to progress in the business you need a van unless you only do union commercial on huge jobs that last for months.
>>
>>1030233
must be a nice area to be able to ride a motorcycle year round... probably not going to get away with that in my area. Also you dont need to be union to work on big jobs, I am not union and I have been on jobs that lasted a fe years
>>
>>1030269
Scab please leave.
>>
>>1030207
A lot of it depends where you live, fortunately for me Los Angeles is desperately trying to be like New York city so there is a lot more trains coming in, as for getting there I lucked out to where the commute to the meeting spot isn't far, the uber ride over is $6.50 everytime
>>
>>1030233
You have a good point, the service world will always require a car if you need to advance. I'll be done with school by December 14 2016 so I can finally reconfigure new ideas for jobs in industrial and the union. It's interesting though because there are several unions to choose from for electrical work Laborer's, teamsters and IBEW, my school has a deal with Local 11 of IBEW where I don't have to take the test just the interview, still no guarantee of getting in but it's a good start
>>
>>1030233
My only problem with service work is when I have to travel to Ojai for 3 hours and back and don't get back in time for these classes
>>
File: DSC03941.jpg (828KB, 2179x1357px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03941.jpg
828KB, 2179x1357px
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.