[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

View On Folding Bikes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

File: folding.jpg (462KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
folding.jpg
462KB, 1600x1600px
What does /n/ think of the folding bike?
>>
>>1030075

They're kind of a niche thing. Even high end folders don't really compare all that well to decent non-folding bicycles.

They're nice if you fly out to go touring a lot, or if you want to hop on and off mass transit etc. but that's about it. The only reason why I have a couple folders for touring is because S&S coupled bikes are 1- expensive and 2- still a pain in the ass to pack and unpack at your destination.
>>
File: fubi.jpg (271KB, 1299x1000px) Image search: [Google]
fubi.jpg
271KB, 1299x1000px
>>1030075
Full size folders are the best kind of folders.
>>
They are shit compared to minivelos
>>
>>1030075
I have a shitthy BSO one which I use for commuting, the ride is below ok because the shimano tourney got fucked and now it's singlespeed and my city has some hills, other than shifting, the bike is ok, I assume better folding bikes will ride better, but wouldn't leave them outside like I do with my ghetto bike.
>>
Will greyhound charge me extra for bringing a bike on if it folds ?
>>
Is there a folding bike with these characteristics?
>single speed
>coaster brake ONLY (no brake levers)
>small wheels
>no racks or fenders
I've always found most folding bikes to be too over-complicated, which is silly since they're supposed to be ridden for short distances at low speeds
>>
>>1030075
the only folding bikes worth thinking about are bromptons.
>>
Vilano Urbana, weighs 21.5 lbs. I considered buying it.
>>
>>1030158

The absolute shit-tier ones are exactly what you posted. You could get something like a bike friday with that setup too, but I have no idea why you'd want to do that given how much they cost.
>>
>>1030158
Could get a cheap pos folding SS from aliexpress, remove th brakes, change the wheel to the coaster hub. This might make it about 400$. The expensive part is the coaster wheel you'll have to build.

It does sound nice though. I'd like a two speed kick shift coaster hub from sturmey or a sram duomatic.
>>
File: 01 - 7vb5rOR.png (17KB, 259x224px) Image search: [Google]
01 - 7vb5rOR.png
17KB, 259x224px
>>1030158
Dahon Speed Uno

I have it, it's great. I use it everyday for uni, walking between classes/from the library takes too much time
>>
>>1030075
they're like futons

you'll fold them out maybe 2-3 times the first week you have it. then you'll keep it folded out

realistically there's not many scenarios where you need to convert your compact bike into a more compact bike. Everyone has this idealistic vision of how they'll use em and it never ends up being true. they just stay folded out.
>>
>>1030195
Exactly what I was looking for.
>>
>>1030158
>they're supposed to be ridden for short distances at low speeds
kind of, but many foldables users ride them to work and you don't want to get there all sweaty and dirty from the wheel spray, so fenders and speeds are quite suitable.
about coaster brake, I find it really annoying to use, specially in traffic.
but yeah, they are complicated.
>>
>>1030197
Yep. Unless you are going to frequently go flying with it, a non-folding mini-velo will be a hell of a lot nicer.
>>
>>1030231
In that case, why get a folder at all.
>>
>>1030197
You should fold a futon to let prevent mold thoigh
>>
File: DSC_0033.jpg (448KB, 1000x662px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0033.jpg
448KB, 1000x662px
Since we're talking about folding bikes. I'm thinking of getting one though to use in between commute; going from the metro to my office and back. I'm really concerned if they can fit me and can carry me. I'm 6 feet and 200+ pounds. Also, I don't plan on spending much. I want to buy one really cheap but still reliable.
>>
>>1030075
got one from work with the discount, saves me money when im in tondon on tube fair
>>
>>1030075
are there any folding bikes that look like this?
are carbon folding bikes a thing?
>>
>>1032701
that front suspension looks retarded
>>
>>1032753
>that looks retarded
fixed
>>
I am curious too. I am noob about cycling. I wanna learn and I want a bike. I live in an apartment (very small, long stairs, 3rd floor).

I found a folding bike like OP pic (It looks like it, like I said, I don't know anything about bikes), and it's kinda cheap in my country.

Is a folding bike good enough to learn to ride and to commuting inside a city?

BTW, first time posting in /n/.
>>
>>1033024
Not really. Shouldering a road bike >11kg isn't hard and hanging it in your apartment isn't hard either. You could hang a Klein and not ride it and pretend to be a rich funny jew.

Folders are really for taking on public transport and you get much less bike for your $$$
>>
File: folding.jpg (102KB, 845x771px) Image search: [Google]
folding.jpg
102KB, 845x771px
>>
>>1033032

thanks, what do you recommend for a newbie?

I heard a lot about MTB and hybrids (there is a thread about MTBs).

Like I said, I am in a budget, I want to learn how to ride a bike and I just want to use it for transportation.
>>
File: seinfeld.jpg (914KB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
seinfeld.jpg
914KB, 3024x4032px
>>1033035
normally i'd rec a used rigid mtb for a cheap bike to learn and commute on but considering a few flights of stairs you want something light and easy to carry.

So a mtb or a hybrid are probably off the cards. They tend to be heavy and a cunt to carry.

A traditional horizontal (or near horizontal) top tube to shoulder the bike easily would be preferable.

You probably want a road bike, as light as you can afford. Cheapest option is used.

Do you have a local auction site? Link it and give your size and ill have a look for you.
>>
>>1033038

thanks, I am not from USA, I am peruvian BTW. Anyway, I have 2 options for buying a bicycle. There are some dudes that assemble some bikes here, they buy the pieces and build a bike. They have different bikes, some with part from Taiwan and others with parts from Japan. I found another site that sells used Japanese bikes. They are refurbished (I that the correct word?) and they have MTBs, Hybrids, Road, Folded, etc.

the first option (from the guys that build bikes), I found a road bike, 14kg, with parts from Taiwan, 26 wheels.

Thanks in advance for any piece of advice.
>>
File: Pit Ng (2).jpg (286KB, 1200x832px) Image search: [Google]
Pit Ng (2).jpg
286KB, 1200x832px
>>1033258

here is a pic from the assembled road bike I saw.
>>
>>1030075
It goes in your boot/trunk and stays there until you get to where you're going. I guess it stays there all the way home too.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.