[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Handlebar measurements

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 157415_1583808.jpg (16KB, 1100x860px) Image search: [Google]
157415_1583808.jpg
16KB, 1100x860px
Hello /n/iggers,

Does anyone know exactly how handlebar measurements are worked out? E.g. If one bar has 20mm rise and 5° upsweep, and another has 20mm rise and 3° upsweep, are the contact points at the same height? What about backsweep? Does a bar with more backsweep effectively have shorter reach? Maybe this is a stupid question but I can't find it explicitly stated anywhere
>>
http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/how-to-choose-the-best-mtb-handlebars-a-buyers-guide/
The current theme of wide ass risers with a short stem is because modern top tubes are getting longer. Backsweep will shorten reach as will a shorter stem. Idk about rise ratios cause i use flat bars. IMHO the stock bars on new mtbs are way too wide for average size riders but its like seats- very personal preference.
>>
>>1028478
The grip areas will be at the same height if the rise number is the same, the one with greater back sweep will put the grips further backwards and they'll be slightly more angled. Back sweep isn't quite the same as negative reach, you could in theory have negative reach with the grip area still straight (or at the same angle as the back sweep) but bars aren't generally made that way (there are some with forward reach, in which case they'll place the grips further forward than "straight" bars with the same back sweep).
>>
>>1028511
Another thing I forgot to mention, you also have up sweep to take into account. If it's an identical amount then you can ignore it, however if it differs then that will cause some issues as I have no idea where rise is measured to (more up sweep means the end of the bars will be even higher in comparison to the start of the grip area).
>>
>>1028515
>however if it differs then that will cause some issues as I have no idea where rise is measured to
That's basically the main thing I'm wondering :( I'm thinking about buying a bar (the Tune one in the picture) with less upsweep than my current ones (RF Atlas) but I don't want the contact points to be lower and I only have room for a single 5mm headset spacer more
>>
I can't get the thought out of my head that we all should ride some kind of mustache bar.
wouldn't the handposition be much more natural ?
>>
File: velo_orange_daji_far.jpg (14KB, 530x530px) Image search: [Google]
velo_orange_daji_far.jpg
14KB, 530x530px
>>1028577
I do a fair amount of off road riding with pic related. Hand position is comfy - especially for long rides including large portions of pavement/gravel to get to the trailhead and back.

On the downside, I feel like the angles of my torso/arms/wrists results in less leverage on the bars, which makes technical trail sections much more challenging.
>>
>>1028563
My apologies, I misread your first post as backsweep and not upsweep.

I did some research but unfortunately didn't find a definitive answer as to how rise is measured, some say it's the height at the very and of the bars (and so would increase with more upsweep) and others saying it's the height at the bend. To me measuring at the end makes more sense and is easier and more accurate to do.

If I was you I wouldn't worry about it too much, the difference isn't going to be much if the advertised rise is the same as the upsweep angle is quite small, I wouldn't be surprised if it's less than 5mm. I'm going to assume that the bars differ in other ways anyway (otherwise there's not much point buying new ones) and those differences will probably be more noticeable.
>>
>>1028590

do you run road or mtb shifters with this ?
if mtb , could you post a pic ?
>>
>>1028590
is that a moustache bar?
>>
>>1028857
These are drops designed for road levers; MTB levers don't fit. I'm running with road levers and bar-end shifters. You could do MTB levers and shifters on a real moustache bar or an inverted northroad bar if you like the hand position in the drops and don't need the other hand positions drop bars offer. I like a variety of hand positions, being able to shift around keeps both my back and my hands from hurting on long rides.

The Soma Gator is a dirt drop that will accomadate MTB levers, but that bar is kind of weirdly shaped in other ways.

>>1028862
No. Moustache bars don't have much (if any) drop to them.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.