[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Frame building

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

Anyone here built their own frame? Where is a good place to start learning?
>>
>>1028338
Try PithyBikes on YT - this guy is amazing!
>>
Having seen how much goes into real framework, I wouldn't even attempt it. Leave it to those who know what they are doing.

I suppose if you wanted to learn you could ask for a job there and do some shadowing, but that's about it. It's a difficult skill.
>>
>>1028338

A friend of mine basically just took measurements and copied some old road bikes for his welding and machining classes. They ride pretty well desu.
>>
>>1028338
>Where is a good place to start learning?
Google. Books from Amazon.

Here's your main problem, though: Unless you already have a shop full of metalworking equipment, you'll spend thousands of dollars buying the tools you need to do it, and that's just for steel frames. In order for it to be cost-effective you'd have to make lots of frames and maybe sell some of them to people. You're not going to just buy some tubing and a cheap welder and slap together high quality bike frames. Also you'll at first be buying some pre-made assemblies to incorporate into your custom frames. Then there's buying the components necessary to make them into complete bikes, which is expensive. None of this will be quick, and your first several attempts will be garbage and maybe not even usable. So if you think this is a weekend project, think again, you'll spend a couple years just getting to the point where you can build frames that are decent.
>>
File: IMG_0043.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0043.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Thanks everyone. I think that reading up on it and videos will be good for now. The State Bicycle shop is right next to my place. Maybe I can help around the shop?? Thanks again bros
>>
Watch the documentary "Imperfection is perfection" for inspiration
>>
>>1028495
Give me link, i can`t find.
>>
>>1028372
This.
If you watch Pityh Bikes on YT you'll see how true this is - admittedly the guiy is a perfectionist but it took him over a year just to acquire the knowledge to build one frame that was anything but perfect. He only bought the absolute minimum in metalworking tools, a mini lathe and a mini mill for example and made the frame jig and other things himself and still spent thousands of dollars on it.

If you're dedicated you can surely do this but it would be a very expensive hobby that nowhere near cost effective unless you build hundreds of frames and sell them.

You COULD cut a lot of corners and do it cheaper but then the frames would come out even worse.

Not to discourage you though OP, if you're interested get into it, just don't expect it to be easy, quick or cheap because frame building is none of those things. Not to say it can't be rewarding.
>>
>>1028338
I'm finishing up a framebuilding project with a coworker that's been going for the last 4 months or so. It's turning out pretty great so far.

Best place to start learning would be a framebuilding school, but my partner started on his own about 3 years ago and I've been learning from him. Just don't expect your first few frames to be perfect, and maybe start by building your frame around a production fork, rather than trying to tackle a frameset right out of the gate.

If you're interested, here's the project thread on LFGSS
>fgss.com/conversations/295283/#comment13354137
>>
>>1033156
Also don't waste money on nicer tubesets while you're still learning!
>>
>>1028485
I thought State imported their frames.
>>
>>1033161
Yeah, they're Taiwanese like most others. I don't know what OP's getting it.
>>
>>1028372
>you'll spend thousands of dollars buying the tools you need to do it
Nah. We've managed with a Jiggernaut, a handful of files, sandpaper and a dermal just fine. Granted this is for braised frames; welded ones will need more precise mitering and thus yes, more expensive equipment.

Torches and gas can be rented too.
>>
>>1028485
I used to work there. They have your standard bike shop equipment for maintenance but you're not going to learn to build a frame there.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.