[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to prevent tire punctures?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: WP_20161119_007.jpg (2MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20161119_007.jpg
2MB, 2592x1456px
>>
Avoid riding through broken glass and thorns, run tires more resistant to punctures, run wider tires, you can add things like tire liners and liquid sealants, and if you don't care about ride performance you can always use solid tires.
>>
>>1028161
>Avoid riding through broken glass and thorns
you can't
>run tires more resistant to punctures
well ok but what
>run wider tires
how does this help
>tire liners and liquid sealants and solid tires
'no'

Inflate your tires with a track pump every day. Take a good mini pump, patches, and a spare tube on rides. Patch your tubes unless the valve blows out.

In my experience marathons never flat, i've worn out maybe 6 sets of 4000s II and they very very rarely flat, been through a few sets of pro 4s and they're nice tires which flat sometimes but still not often. Open paves flat often but they're amazing otherwise..
>>
>>1028201
>>>run wider tires
>how does this help

The theory is that you run them lower pressure so when you roll over some debris it's less likely to be forced into the tyre, as there's more room to deform.

In practise I've been running 38mm compass tyres with no puncture protection for a while now and miraculously haven't had a single puncture.
>>
>>1028156
Learn how to ride evading obstacles, and ride on the inner side of the lane, outside usually is full of shit that can puncture your tires because road wheels tend to move debris to the sides, so you must find a sweet spot in wich there is no debris at all, only ride on the far side if there is no space for the cager and you.
>>
Choose the professional choice of bicycle tires, schwalbe
>>
>>1028156
Ride less
>>
I agree with this theory.. >>1028217.. seems like I never had a flat with mountain bike tires even though I rode them until they were basically slicks. Then as I got more serious with my riding and got a cx and then a road bike I started getting flats all the time... and try to avoid things like glass and offroading ect.

Now what I do because some anon suggested it is a slime an thorn resistant tube with liners and higher end tires such as conti gp2. I have lots of luck like this and flats are a once or twice a year thing.. though I just jinxed myself. I personally view the extra weight as more resistance for my exercise needs... I guess if I was racing I would just have 2 sets of wheelsets built with a lighter weight version and my everyday training wheels.
>>
Stop riding tires that are prone to puncture.
>>
My face when a "cyclist" says puncture instead of crevaison.
>>
>>1028257
inb4 it becomes a velominati rule.
>>
>>1028257
>Customer comes in
>"I hav flat wheel"

Is that any better?
>>
I haven't had a flat in 2 years, what am i doing wrong?
>>
>>1028277
>Customer comes in
>I hav crevaison
>>
Not being a fat cunt helps a lot, I weigh 62kg and in >10k km I have only ever had a flat when a large nail pierced all the way to the rim.

All people I know who complain about getting flats are quite a bit heavier than me.
>>
I want a flat so I can set up tubeless but I think my wheel set came with butyl tubes they never lose air pressure.
>>
>>1028281
Buy cheaper tyres
Never bother to inflate them
Rim tape is for faggots!
Ride more
>>
>>1028156
Change your route.
I've run trough glasses, sharp rocks and other shit, but that's just random and i rarely puncture my tyres. And that's with various tires and tubes. If it happens too often, your route has regular spots of sharp debris.

Don't get retarded with pressure. If you're not on a race 3..3.5 bar is on the high side for city.

Pick tires with thick thread or puncture protection.

As soon as you spot smashed glass, jump off your bike and push it over. Whenever you ride over something sharp, stop and inspect tires. Often you can pull the sharp thing just out, since it is just stuck in surface and the puncture would happen on subsequent rotations of wheel.

Also, this >>1028287.
>>
>>1028156
>How to prevent tire punctures?
You can't. Get over it and JUST RIDE.

You avoid hazards as much as you can. Inevitably you miss something and get one anyway. You have two choices: Obsess to the point of neurosis, spending hundreds or thousands of dollars trying to prevent the unpreventable, buying more and more tires, tubes, and other things that claim to 'prevent' punctures, only to find they don't work, finally tearing your hair out and bursting a blood vessel in your brain and dying of a stroke.. OR: You ACCEPT that it's not possible to prevent 100% of punctures, take reasonable measures when riding, and carry a spare tube and a way to inflate the tire and FORGET ABOUT IT AND JUST RIDE.

/thread
>>
Solid tires and add shocks.
>>
>>1028156
Just put a zodiak's pvc tape between tire and tube. it's better than slime plastic tape to prevent punctures comming from "outside" (like glass, edgy little rocks, spines, not against nails).
To prevent puncturing from "inside" i recommend you to use high pressure rim tape and avoid chaoyang tubes and other shitty ones.

Good luck.
>>
Just remove the other tire as well, no more tire punctures
>>
Simple, toss your bike in the bin and never ride again.
>>
>>1028156
just ride without tires, jesus.
Is it really so hard to figure this shit out on your own?
>>
File: Schwalbe Marathon Plus.jpg (89KB, 791x807px) Image search: [Google]
Schwalbe Marathon Plus.jpg
89KB, 791x807px
>>1028156
>How to prevent tire punctures?
Not to be a shill or anything, but this is how. Expensive and heavy by racing standards sure, but durable, plush, and reasonably grippy on wet pavement and gravel. At least put this on the back, even if you keep something more nimble up front.
>>
>>1028454
>Schwalbe
>Plush
I used to have a set of Schwalbe Marathons on my bike. Yeah, I didn't get any flats, but the sidewalls were so stiff and heavy that it made the bike feel like shit. Didn't absorb any road vibration at all. Everything about the bike felt slower and less fun.

I swapped over to lighter, more supple tires, and I still rarely get punctures. Maybe one ever 1000 miles or so.

I would put these tires on a touring bike, where everything's going to be slow and heavy anyway, but not on anything that I want to go fast or have fun on.
>>
I'm a huge fan of continental tour rides.
they are super cheap and everybody I know who has tried them is super satisfied with them.

I used to have a puncture about every other week when riding 25(?)mm luganos on my fixie. I upgraded to 28mm tour rides and haven't had a puncture since then.

I even tried one of those puncture belts you can insert into your tires and still got punctures.
>>
>>1028201
>Inflate your tires with a track pump every day

Get thicker/better tubes if you need to do that daily.....
>>
>>1028455
>I used to have a set of Schwalbe Marathons on my bike. Yeah, I didn't get any flats, but the sidewalls were so stiff and heavy that it made the bike feel like shit. Didn't absorb any road vibration at all. Everything about the bike felt slower and less fun.
I remember a guy from reddit that explained how he was surprised by changing his memeskins to more road riding tyres, he failed hard for the reddit meme and discovered a new world with his new proper tyres.
>>
>>1028454
Thats the old thread profile btw
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.