[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I recently lost my license due to a health issue and have to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: imgres.jpg (7KB, 267x189px) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
7KB, 267x189px
I recently lost my license due to a health issue and have to walk to work. I would rather bike to work, but I don't know which bikes to look at; Will you help me /n?
I live in the uppernorthwest of ohio, so snow might be an issue at points...mostly I am looking for something study and solid. Not some cheap gear shifting fuckup. I know I want disc brakes, but I don't know much else about bikes. Money isn't an issue, I mean as long as its under something like $550 ish.
THanks
Thanks
>>
90s rigid MTB
>>
I was looking at the Trek Allant 7.2

Anyone have thoughts on that?
>>1027742
'cept you, jog on.
>>
You either get something sturdy, solid, and with disc brakes or something under $550. Go on craigslist or something and just get an older MTB.
>>
>>1027753
I could spend more if it is at all worth the extra couple hundred. I just don't know what to look for in a bike that will primarily be used to bike to work and back.
>>
File: DSC03840.jpg (910KB, 1855x1578px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03840.jpg
910KB, 1855x1578px
>>1027756
>know what

>>1027742
>90s rigid MTB
>>
How long is your commute?
What kind of terrain will you be riding on?
Are there any hills where you live?
Why do you want disc brakes if you don't know about bicycles?
>>
>>1027790
commute is only 20min
mostly roads and sidewalks
some hills
I want disc brakes because I prefer to have proper braking than those shoes that get worn out after 2 months.
>>
>>1027793
>I want disc brakes because I prefer to have proper braking than those shoes that get worn out after 2 months.
Traditional brakes are good enough, lasts more than two months and are cheap as fuck. If you don't know about bikes, don't assume you really need X. For commuting you need reliable and cheap stuff.
>>
>>1027798
what is the disadvantage of disc brakes?
Soft shoe brakes are the worst.
>>
File: DSC03857.jpg (1000KB, 2359x1546px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03857.jpg
1000KB, 2359x1546px
sosory about life,,, welcome.
hardadvice,,, smoke (eat) somepot.
,,, thoseizures in traffic?,splato!!
,or, getover your fear, of gay., areyou?,, well then, MANUP, and getrike!,, rig reverse brakes so you stop as you start spaseing and lights flashon.,, cages respect epeliepticyclists.
>>
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/liberty_cxd.htm
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/29point2-29er-mtb.htm
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_cross_trail_xiv.htm

I dunno, do you want drop bars or flat bars? I put a few suggestions there, but I would avoid bikes with suspension.
>>
>>1027816
why avoid suspension? and I prefer the non low down handles, straight out works best for me.
>>
>>1027810
going to avoid pot cuz i don't want to end up like you :)
>>
>>1027738
>>1027793
>>1027799
>>1027823

>I recently lost my license due to a health issue and have to walk to work.
I mean, I guess a DUI is sorta a "health issue", right?

>I know I want disc brakes, but I don't know much else about bikes.
>I want disc brakes because I prefer to have proper braking than those shoes that get worn out after 2 months.
>Soft shoe brakes are the worst.
Have you ever actually been on a bike? Good rim brake pads will last a long time. The pads on my bike have ~850 miles on them (in a mountainous area, not flatlandia) and I'm thinking that maaaybe I'll swap them out before I get to 1k miles.

>>1027823
Unless you're riding in dirt, suspension is just extra weight to lug around. It makes your pedaling less efficient, too (particularly cheapo rear suspension).

All jokes aside, something like a Specialized Cirrus may meet your needs. Flat bar, disc brakes, retails for $550. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/men/bikes/fitness/fitness/sirrus-disc/118422

I took the higher-end version of this bike across Japan. A little heavy, but solid and well made.
>>
>>1027764
>Even BaconRider is down with 90s rigid MTBs
>>
>>1027799
$
>>
>>1027823
Flat bar road bike sounds like what you're after

>Why avoid suspension?
At $500, you're going to be getting a heavy and shit suspension, it'll just be dead weight for the kind of riding you'll be doing, if you want more comfort, go for wider tyres
>>
>>1027823
Suspension is worse than useless under about 1500 dollars or so.

Disc brakes are frequently more trouble than they're worth at that price range.

Get whatever entry level shit heap hybrids they have at your price point. As a general rule, the more it's like a 90's mountain bike, the better.

As a general rule, avoid shit that they actually call flat bar road, but at your price range it doesn't matter, as its' all the same entry level garbage.

Alant 7.2 is acceptable. You'll pay extra for the brand name but it's in the right neighborhood.
>>
>>1027799
I'm not a bike guy so this might be a stupid question, but what's the advantage of disc brakes anyway? On cars they're preferred over drums because they offer better cooling (due to putting the braking surfaces out in the airflow) and because they're lighter, but neither of those advantages seems to hold up when comparing bike discs to a rim brake, which is simple, light, and has a huge "disc" area.
>>
>>1027869
main advantage is that if you're biking through mud or dirt, your rims get messy as fuck and rim brakes don't grip well

if you're on pavement or just on gravel or light trails then there's no major advantage

some people like the feel of hydraulic lines cause they're smooth
>>
>>1027838
Not a DUI
Got hit by a car a while back and now have seizures every year or so, this last time it unfortunately happened while I was driving. Fucking worthless doctors.

Anyways, I don't drink so you can settle down there kid. Thank you for the advice though, much appreciated.
>>
>>1027869
In addition to what previous anon said: disc brakes can produce the same braking force as rim brake with less lever input; and disc brakes don't depend on rim alignment, so they keep working even if your wheel is knocked out of true during a ride.

Both of these make discs hugely desirable for technical mountain biking where wheels take a lot of hits, and because you use your brakes a lot more than in other cycling disciplines - try riding an old mountain bike with rim brakes on challenging trails and you can easily end up with tired and sore hands (from pulling the levers) that will slow you down long before your legs need a rest.

But for road or casual riding use, disc brakes main advantage is that they work better in wet conditions than rim brakes.
>>
>>1028042
Hmm, well where I live it will be snowy and rain for a few months...
To disc brake or not to disk brake...
>>
>>1028046
If you intend on actually riding in inclement weather, get the disc brakes
>>
>>1028051
That is what I am saying, snow, rain, that BS can go fuck itself on shoes. I'll be visiting a specialty bike shop here in the next week. If the thread is still alive I will update you guys. Thanks for the help, and fuck you assholes who instantly think "health issue" means a DUI or alcohol abuse. Some people have actual problems that are not their fault, and have to live with them day to day. You might find that out if you journeyed out of your bubble once in a while.
>>
Hydraulic disks feel good and work good and I sure like mine. But if you are not actually a downhill racer plain old canties are a more practical choice. Lighter, more reliable, easier to fix, powerful enough, and cheaper too. If you decide to get them anyway, don't get cheap ones; they need frequent maintenance and it's a difficult and messy chore.
Suspension would be a mistake for a commuter, and cheap suspensions are always a mistake. They absorb pedaling effort and make for sloppy handling, aside from the weight and cost.
What you do need for everyday transportation is lights, rack / basket, fenders, a good lock and a place to put it, and possibly hub gearing. And winter tires if you do that where you live.

>>1028057
You think addictions are not a disease? Next thing you will be talking about personal responsibility or something!
>>
>>1028159
Not saying *some* addictions aren't a disease in *some* people. In fact I didn't mention that at all, but since you bring that up you might like to know that I've had friends who we're straight up alcoholics, drug abusers, but functioning parts of society. You know what cured them? Moving to a new city, town, away from the drinking and pill popping buddies they had when they we're in full swing. Simply moving away from such areas where abuse is high, will "cure" you from wanting to get high, in *some* people.

So tell me, how is that a disease? They are now healthy members of their communities, have family, and no desire to get fucked up.
Point being that there isn't enough scientific data to back up your personal belief that "addictions are a disease".
Bro
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.