[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

new bike

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: cervelo.jpg (327KB, 1265x853px) Image search: [Google]
cervelo.jpg
327KB, 1265x853px
hi /n/

i'm getting my first job this summer and i've calculated that at $9 an hour it will come out to roughly $1600, net.

question is, how should i spend it on a new bike? should i go for an $800 and get fancy shit, or a more expensive say $1200 and just get the bare minimum?

i currently only have a commuter and i try to run and bike every 3 days so i would say i would be almost fit enough to participate in a cat 5 race, but idk because i usually ride solo or with 1 friend who's as fit as me

so how should i spend it?
>>
File: laura.jpg (33KB, 377x400px) Image search: [Google]
laura.jpg
33KB, 377x400px
However you feel like brah
>>
File: Cervelo_S5_15_Di2_1.jpg (306KB, 2000x1284px) Image search: [Google]
Cervelo_S5_15_Di2_1.jpg
306KB, 2000x1284px
buy a decent used bike for $800 and a little bit more on kit, spending all your hard earned money from summer on just bike stuff is pretty financially stupid tbqh. And i think you are being a lil too optimistic about racing.......

Side note, does anyone else find the cervelo s series ugly? the s5 frame geometry look ugly as fuck to me.
>>
>>1025677
haha, i'm just going into college and am fortunate enough to have parents to pay for the majority of it.

this is just a hobby, racing just for the fun of it / to have the right to say i'm a 'racer'
>>
>>1025680
>racing just for the fun of it
im going to go ahead and assume you are some normie scum fred who only puts on 50km a week and decides that he is 'pro' enough to race, assuming you do join a race, you wouldnt place last, you would get a DID NOT FINISH.
>>
>>1025681
Die in a fire thanks
>>
>>1025682
my bad i was being too optimistic, you dont put on 50 km a week, you ride bike trails at 20km/h and when you pass kids on department store bikes you think to yourself that you are really fast.
>>
>>1025684
big words
>>
>>1025684
wowee what a hot burn are you a cook or something
>>
>>1025677

>Side note, does anyone else find the cervelo s series ugly? the s5 frame geometry look ugly as fuck to me.

This just in: every bike Cervélo has ever made has been pretty much ugly. Ugly only in the perceived sense that they break tradition… from a engineering and design standpoint they balance aesthetics with performance quite well. But I hate the idea of riding a bicycle that looks like a stealth bomber

>i currently only have a commuter and i try to run and bike every 3 days so i would say i would be almost fit enough to participate in a cat 5 race, but idk because i usually ride solo or with 1 friend who's as fit as me

Buy a road bike for 500-600 and 105 or Tiagra that fits you, get a professional fit (perhaps with someone with some good kinesiology/physical therapy and strong cycling background not just some Joe Schmo BG Fit), and if you have extra money left over, buy a decent pair of shorts, maybe a jersey and clip less pedals and shoes, and if you STILL have money left over, get some good folding bead tires. And ride. A lot. That's it.
>>
File: synapse.jpg (347KB, 2400x1537px) Image search: [Google]
synapse.jpg
347KB, 2400x1537px
OP here, i've been looking at my local bike store and found the cannondale synapse disc tiagra 6 for $919

good deal??? idk

specs: http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bike/ProductDetail?Id=277aece5-b2f1-4349-a75d-d66d1b986609
>>
>>1025671
did you factor in taxes?

>>1025677
blowing all your money while your young is great, better he learn his lessons while he is young enough that its only a few hundreds instead of a thousands or more.
>>
>>1026114
yes, that is what the word 'net' means
>>
>>1026108
is uci suddenly allowing disc now?
>>
>>1026124
Discs have never been banned in US.
>>
>>1026128
That's not what he asked.

>>1026124
AFAIK, they're doing trials with plans to introduce them in the 2017 season, as long as no safety concerns are raised during the trials. I think they will mandate rounded edges and maximum disc sizes etc.
>>
>>1025681
better DNF than Did Not Race, faggot.
>>
With 1000 dolloros you will get:

1) the cheapest carbon frame
2) a very good alloy frame

Choose a bike with Shimano 105 -groupset (don't even dream about dura-ace or integra) since it is top bang per buck with cheap spares.

Choose a bike with traditional standards (no press fits etc in order to service the bike by yourself).
>>
>>1026243
Google wants me to say integra instead of ultegra
>>
>>1026124
>>1026128
>>1026146
they were on trial in 2016, then after a couple of bad crashes and injuries caused a huge rider kickback, they took them off trial, and they'll have another trial with I think rounded discs or something in 2017

but they'll never take off for road racing
>>
>>1026146
>>1026247
The US federation released a statement after UCI stopped the 2016 trial stating that they've never considered disc brakes banned and people are free to use them if they so wish. That's what I means with them never being banned in the US.

That said as anon said they'll never take of for road racing. They add a huge amount of problems for teams and riders in races. Manufacturers will be pushing them for the teams for some time but it'll never take off fully. However we'll be seeing a lot more discs on endurance bikes and lower level road bikes and they do make sense for the casual rider.
>>
>>1026217
>be me 200 lb fred dentist on my dura ace pinerallo
>decided to join a race so that i could call myself a racer
>even though i only ride 50 km at my local club weekend ride I know i can do this
>the race starts and we are off
>get dropped in the first 1km
>Its ok you still have this!
>A small 2% hill approaches
>fuck
>i huff and puff to get up the hill to no avail
>I dismount and walk it up
>by the time im at the top i hear that the race ended.....
>I sadly got a DNF but hey atleast im a racer so that means im better than every single recreational rider!
>>
OP here,

thinking about just getting a good alloy frame and upgrading and getting 105's since everything at my bike store has either fucking claris or sora
>>
>>1026217
I'd argue it's better to be secure in your desire to pleasure-cruse around town on a nice bike than wasting time, energy and money posing as a racer to impress people you don't like or even know.
>>
>>1026217

...do you even have fun, or do you just sit around hating yourself and the rest of the world?
>>
Just ride your commuter. You're only riding once every three days.
>>
>>1025671
If you are still a teenager, get an entry-level bike. Just saying from experience, it blows to spend all your summer job money on one big thing and realize you want something else. Don't blow 4 digits on a bike yet. Maybe get a mid-range used bike.
>>
>>1026336
i have hella fun at pretty much all times, friendo. what i'm saying is if you're not trying shit, you'll never accomplish shit. i'd rather fail than not even try.
>>
>>1026259
>realise I have a lot more work to do
>start to get up extra early and ride 2 hours before work everyday
>sleep starts to improve
>start to lose weight
>a couple of months later I'm at the back of the pack but able to stick with them for the duration of the race
>>
>>1026323
LBS are a rip, they simply can't compete with online or used. The only reason you'd use them is to get a proper fit done
>>
You make $9 an hour and you're planning on getting a $1200 bike?

Just buy something used on craigslist, holy fuck

The economy is going to crash as soon as the short-tempered manchild launches the invasion of Iran, you should focus on essentials if you are on minimum wage
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.