[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Make Racers Practical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

File: touringlight4.jpg (690KB, 1000x655px) Image search: [Google]
touringlight4.jpg
690KB, 1000x655px
Obviously a lot of this community have bought aluminium bikes with carbon forks and no eyelets for anything.
But this is /n/, not /asp/ !

I have added mudguards to mine and am currently debating between a large saddle bag or a frame bag. and have mounted one of my 2 locks to my frame.

How do you make these bikes practical?
>>
why don't you start by posting your bike
>>
Get a secon bike instead
>>
File: SAM_0198.jpg (598KB, 1580x1185px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0198.jpg
598KB, 1580x1185px
>>1024664
I want it to be general ideas for everyone who ended up getting this type of bike, but pic related.
Older pic but thats my ride.
>>
>>1024651
As far I know endurance riders and lightweight travelers use saddlebags, hadlebar bags and a mini bag on the top tube/steerer tube/stem angle. You can travel with just 8-9kg of stuff so that's can be enough, you don't need to be like those dudes who carry their entire house on the racks and puts a fucking mug tied outside.
>>
>>1024692
>lightweight travelers
The new thing around me is "basket-packing".

A Wald 137 is ~20 dollars and whatever rear rack they may already have. This is like making your commuter bike into a temporary light touring bike.

I feel like it's supposed to make it look more inviting to people that look at those "house on racks" and think that it's too cumbersome. The simplicity is pretty nice too. I was able to convince my friend to come along on an overnight by giving him my old basket, for some reason it just made it into such a casual camping experience. Maybe it just makes him think of mommy-bikes with wicker baskets.
>>
>>1024651
>ruining perfectly good race bikes
>not being part of road racing master-race
LOL, fag.

Worse than fag:
LOL, casual.
>>
>>1024704
Says the coal burner
>>
File: DSC_0643.jpg (2MB, 3104x1746px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0643.jpg
2MB, 3104x1746px
>>1024651
>>1024696
>light touring

Best. Ride. Ever!

Just wear a back pack, slap some mudguards on. Rear saddle bags sway around when you're standing on the pedals and are a bit fiddley to put on and they also lighten up the front end depending on how heavy your luggage is.
Bikes are meant to be simple and minimal, don't over complicate them with new fangled things like panniers! Although you can get "P clamps" that are basically bolt on bolt eyes for racks and mudguards.
>>
Mudguards and panniers are still better. I don't care if it doesn't fit current trends.
>>
>>1024651
>How do you make these bikes practical?

You can't. They are racing bikes. Built for speed. They are not comfy or practical, but light and fast.
For commuting or trekking there are better bike designs.
>>
>>1024651
>How do you make these bikes practical?
Clip on fenders and p-clamped racks. That said, it will never be as practical as a bike designed to accommodate those natively.

Enjoy your rattles!
>>
>>1024651
That saddle bag gives me a hard on.
>>
>>1025145
>Just wear a back pack
Get out, now
>>
File: my baiku.jpg (659KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
my baiku.jpg
659KB, 2000x1500px
Steel road bikes are best road bikes.
>>
>>1024651
>Make Racers Practical
What a stupid idea.
>>
>spend extraorbitant amounts of money on one of the least practical type of bike you could buy
>proceed to spend even more money to completely negate any benefit that would warrant it's initial price
Ebun.

A regular touring bike with a long wheelbase (the euro type) is the most universal type of bike you could get imho. For touring, for commuting, for carrying luggage.
>>
>>1025361
comfy baiku, your saddle seems tilted a bit upwards tho
>>
>road bike geometry
>dick brakes
>TRP HYRDs are pretty good anyways
>comes with a front bag solution, if proprietary
>light enough frame
>good group set
>none of that barcon bullshit the 920 has
>fits fenders on both ends, rack on back
Might not be my favourite choice of frame material, but it'll do.
>>
File: trek 720.jpg (323KB, 3000x2454px) Image search: [Google]
trek 720.jpg
323KB, 3000x2454px
>>1026533
Oops.
>>
>>1026534
>>1026533

Have one of these too, do recommend. Upgraded my brakes to hydraulics though
>>
>>1026555
Was it worth every penny? I'm cross shopping against the Renegade Exploit. No steel, but I get Trek logos. Component choice is effectively the same. Those front bags look fucking killer though; rear racks a shit. Write me a mini-review if you wouldn't mind.
>>
>>1026789

Ride is a bit harsh but a carbon seatpost or wider tyres may help. Plenty of tyre clearance I run 32 mm and it could easily fit way more. Can fit fenders or a rack but probably not both. The hy/rd brakes were good but proper hydraulics are way better. I've actually never used the bags but the mounts are plastic and the bags come off/on pretty easily.

Anything else ?
>>
>>1026918
What calipers did you end up going with?
>>
If I ever tour by bicycle, it'll be a combo of an endurance road bike, and a lockable trailer and I'd credit card it all the way.

>bike is light and still handles like a bike
>you can remove trailer and check it at hotels as luggage if you want to day trip
>just leave it in your room if you're staying in the same area for a couple of days.
>>
>>1024651
"Make Formula1 cars street legal"
>>
I ride mostly in the city, currently waiting for some flat bars for my steel racer
>>
>>1026930
Why would you need to lug all that shit if you're credit carding? I credit card tour with a small toptube bag and a seat pack.
>>
>>1025342
What is wrong with this?
>>
>>1026969
There's nothing wrong with getting out. Get to it.
>>
>>1026918
Well, coming from an 80s aluminum frame, literally everything feels like a plush as fuck ride that's as stiff as a 10000 garbin fibur bike.

You can't fit a fender and rack on the rear at the same time? I see the requisite mounting points, but is there a physical incompatibility?

Are the bags big enough for some compact clothes rolled up, a lunchbox, and maybe some odds and ends?

Literally sounds like the perfect bike to me, I just wasn't expecting it to be from one of the big bike manufacturers.
>>
>>1026926
Rs 505 shifters with 785 post mount callipers

>>1026982

>You can't fit a fender and rack on the rear at the same time? I see the requisite mounting points, but is there a physical incompatibility?

You can but it's tight, I may just be the topeak rack I have isn't tall enough.

>Are the bags big enough for some compact clothes rolled up, a lunchbox, and maybe some odds and ends?

Yep should fit that no worries

>Literally sounds like the perfect bike to me, I just wasn't expecting it to be from one of the big bike manufacturers.

It's pgood, I use it as a commuter/Winter bike
>>
>>1024651
rivnuts
http://www.rivnut.com/
>>
>>1026969
schweaty back
>>
>>1026960
Nice spare changes of clothes, non cycling clothes for going out to dinner etc
>>
>>1025361
530? Is that a golden spoke water bottle?

I might be seeing things.
>>
>>1025342

Fred detected
>>
>>1025361
Dat гп-5 bag... what are you?!
>>
I have an allez sprint

it's like the least practical bike i've ridden. love it. just throw one of those ass-savers fenders that go on your saddle and I charge around the city. I have a backpack if i need to carry stuff, all I need.
>>
>>1027320
Not him but cool to see another 530 fag here. I am in Texas right now, but born up in Truckee. Need to get to riding out there soon.
>>
>>1026533
>road bike geometry
Kekking so hard rn its a fucking hybrid with drops mate
>>
File: Lael-2.jpg (184KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
Lael-2.jpg
184KB, 800x533px
sup faggots
>>
reminder that framebags are god tier and panniers + racers are antithetical
>>
>>1033460
How to meet a woman like this.
>>
Frame bags turn your bike into a sail. Might as well run disc wheels. You now can't shoulder the bike, have less space for your knees and hopefully you can forget that frame bags used to be scorned by all but the most casual.

Swap your spacious lowriders at the front for oversized bottle cages & drybags that are 20x the price of drybags and bottle cages.

Did i mention bottles? They're hard to get to now, or, don't even carry them.

Meme it up with a handlebar roll instead of a handlebar bag so you can't easily carry all your valuables with you off the bike.

Put triathlete style gay little frame bags on to fill the gap of accessing stuff. Everyone loves emulating triathletes.

Piss yourself while you're at it.

Move all your weight higher.

Don't run fenders.

Congrats, your bicycle is now a meme.
>>
>>1033460
Murrica!
>>
>>1033474

> can't balance a bike in wind
> doesn't know this:

http://www.cyclingabout.com/speed-difference-between-panniers-bikepacking-bags-aerodynamic-testing-results/

> RAAM
> "casual"
>>
>>1033502
I think the issue is more crosswinds and the full length frame bag
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.