[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many bikes is a good number of bikes to have?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: 2016-11-05_20-26-49_318.jpg (1MB, 2592x1458px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-05_20-26-49_318.jpg
1MB, 2592x1458px
How many bikes is a good number of bikes to have?
>>
>>1024125
if you're still novice enough to be asking this question, then the answer is that you can never have enough.
>>
n+1
n = the number of bikes you currently have.
>>
>>1024125
Currently I have five at my house.
>steel road bike
>90's rigid mtb commuter
>90's cyclocross bike
>80's rigid mtb
>another 90's rigid mtb for parts and soon to be fixed up for a friend

In my parents' garage I have the "cemetery" of old steel mtb's, BMX bikes, and forgotten projects from years ago.

I still have a long mental 'wishlist' of bikes I'd like
>decent BMX bike
>carbon road bike
>full suspension mtb
>hard tail
>more steel road bikes and 90's mtb's

n+1, my friend
>>
>>1024127
this joke is so tired and nerdy
it was never funny
please stop continuing it's existence
>>
As many as the different types you intend to ride, or for the disciplines you intend to ride (i.e. whilst you could have a hard tail and a full suspension mountain bike only one may be sufficient for the trails you ride). Anything additional to that may be bikes you find interesting due to rarity or unusualness, or perhaps even just "show bikes" that rarely get ridden (either to admire yourself or to show off to others).
>>
any number
>>
>>1024125
The honest answer is the number if bikes you'll actually use in a three month period + a winter beater if it snows near you.

I ride my commuter and road bike. I should have just rented a mountain bike. Even used it's practically 150 dollars per ride right now.

Heck, I could have changed out my tires and saved most that cash.
>>
>>1024129
It's not a joke.
>>
zero, buy a car like a normal person
>>
>>1024186
> I should have just rented a mountain bike. Even used it's practically 150 dollars per ride right now.
What are you trying to say here, that your bike is essentially costing you $150 for each time you ride it? Over what sort of time period? The only thing that would make sense is the expected life time of the bike so say 5 years at a minimum before you'd want to upgrade, even if you bought a $3k bike that'd be only 4 rides per year.
>>
File: 0004.jpg (272KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
0004.jpg
272KB, 2272x1704px
>>1024125
>>
>>1024133
At least one.
>>
>>1024191
Maybe he's talking about a downhill mountain bike, and he only rides it when he goes on trips to bike parks with lifts?
>>
>>1024201
My point still stands, although I didn't really say it, you'd have to be a complete idiot to spend so much on a bike that you use so little.

If he was talking about a 1 year period then it makes a little more sense, for example an $1800 bike being used once a month (still stupid but I can actually imagine someone doing that) but you don't just replace such an expensive bike after one year.
>>
>>1024191
>>1024201
If I prorate the cost(750) across the trips I've taken since I bought the bike (5) the cost for the bike is $150 per trip, google says the average rental price is about $40. It would take 3 years to approximately equal cost spent on ownership vs rental. I know thats not the average lifespan of the bike but given how little time I made for the mountain bike compared to the roadbike I'm not sure my attention span for the hobby is going to be 3 years.

Had I rented three times (trying a few different types of bikes for a day each) I I probably would have spent my chunk of change on a new cross bike which would cover my more likely uses and gotten much more saddle time on it and a better guarantee of getting the full lifespan of the bike.
>>
>>1024205
>you'd have to be a complete idiot
probably guilty there
>>
>>1024188
/o/
>>
>>1024206

I didn't know you could use pro rata as an anglicised verb. Cool.

In response to the OP I have two bikes. A steel roadie and a slightly less old Giant TCR. Im currently trying to sell my old road bike and buy a 2nd hand touring bike. Id like to have an XC bike as well but don't have thw storage space or money atm.
>>
>>1024196
>all those crutches near the bottom of the stairs
what did she mean by this
>>
>>1024186
you're probably just not that into mtbing

the last one i bought cost about 3200 and i've only been out 48 times since june/july not counting city/rail trail riding. i am 100% satisfied with my purchase and am currently looking into an el-cheapo beater for riding to work because while we do have a heated parking garage with lockup area and security cameras i am notfuckingleaving my $3200 mtb unattended out in public, chains or no chains.
>>
>>1024125
if you have motivation, enough money and space just do what you want man.

Currently i have
-00's alu roadbike for sport
-old gas pipe bike for commuting
-other old gas pipe for grocery shop and commuting
-trash bike i never use anymore

I could use some 90's rigid mtb for fooling around though...
>>
If i was rich i would prob get an endurance road bike like the roubaix, a climbing bike, a super fast aero bike,a cross bike,a touring bike, and a cheap commuter.
>>
>>1024125
Probably two. A decent road bike, and a decent MTB one. If you want to commute take the bus/tram/subway/walk. If you want to ride on trails/mountain pick the mtb, if you want roads take the road bike.

Having many bikes can be nice, but probably unnecessary. I personally have a couple of bikes, one ghetto folding bike for commuting and a road bike for leisure rides (not 20km leisure rides at the park like the reddit ones, i mean at least 60-70km rides at a decent pace.)
I'm tempted about buying a hardtail but I think that MTB is not suitable for me at the moment, not enough space and mtb bikes can be dirty so It could be bad because I take my bikes into my house and I don't want to clean mud from my floor.
>>
I end up at 4 bikes, tried to own 3 but it lasted just half a year before getting to 4 again.
Rarely consider a fifth.

Current lineup: trail fs, dh, dj, cx
>>
Me personally:
Garbon road bike
TT bike
Alu training road bike
Fixed gear training road bike
Vintage steel road bike

Soon to get a track bike after I git my track accreditation nailed down. Either I'll be good at it in which case it'll be good for getting points or I'll be bad at it in which case it'll be good training no offence
>>
>>1024188
>buy a car like a normal person
be serious, a car is just a/n/ accessory that you sometimes use in conjunction with some cycling activity

two years ago I computed that in one year I spent about 800 hours bike riding and 200 hours car driving
>>
>>1024257
>the last one i bought cost about 3200
What is it?
>>
I fell for the N+1 meme. Ended up with too many bikes that don't get enough ride time to justify their existence. I realized it was a meme when I had seven bikes and only rode two frequently. I've paired it down some, but I'd love to sell them all and just have three. Road, mountain, and a city beater/cargo bike.
>>
>>1024437
I've got a nice mtn bike, decent roadie, and a fixie. Would love to have a mini dirt jumper and a decent hard tail, too.
>>
-road bike
-commuter
-mtb
>>
A cyclocross bike capable of 1.5 inch is all you need.
>>
MTB, road bike, and cruiser. One has to be single speed.
>>
2-5
At least a mountain bike and a pavement bike
>tfw currently have 5 and want 2 more
My lineup
>steel OTS
>steel 80s rigid mtb
>GOTTA GO FAST carbon aero road bike
>GOTTA GET GNARLY enduro bike
>hybrid that I am converting into a touring bike
Bikes I want
>fatty
>full custom (including custom frameset) touring/bikepacking bike

>>1024294
>not instead having an OTS and using that for commuting as well as road cycling
>not having a touring bike

>>1024502
>One has to be single speed.
An hero.
>>
steel commuter bike - has panniers, is decently fast
steel beater bike - ride in city, not worried if it gets damaged
steel training bike - one that I ride in road bike meetup
steel fixie - for when I feel like riding screwing around on a fixie
steel bling fixie - classic lugged track only for showing up at coffee shops with
stainless steel bike - for rain
>>
time to pull out this video again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEhySzO14ik
>>
File: jjjlol.jpg (28KB, 801x534px) Image search: [Google]
jjjlol.jpg
28KB, 801x534px
>>1024516
>stainless steel bike - for rain
>>
>>1024520
Thoroughly enjoyed
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.