[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New cyclist commuter with a quick question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: 1477581616247s.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1477581616247s.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
I bought myself a used bike and want to know if I would be taken seriously for wearing a helmet. I ride 5 miles to school and 5 miles back so a total of 10 a day. My question is should I be wearing a helmet? I don't want to come across as a tryhard but then again I want to be safe. Should I wear a helmet for such a short ride? If you saw someone on campus with a helmet what would your reaction be?
>>
Stop being such an insecure little bitch and do whatever you feel like. I sometimes wear my helmet when I commute, sometimes I don't. Who cares.
>>
dont, let natural selection take its place.
>>
>>1022146
>"taken seriously"
What the fuck, are you 12? You say 'campus' so I assume you're in college, but you're asking:
>will the other kids laugh at me if I wear a helmet?
For fuck's sake you're supposedly an adult now, what the hell do you care what someone else thinks?

You obviously want our 'permission' to do it, so here it is: Wear the damn helmet, it's a reasonable safety precaution. Now stop thinking like you're back in 6th grade and stop worrying about what the 'other kids' think.
>>
>>1022146
Just
Wear
A
Fucking
Helmet

Jesus fucktarts
>>
>>1022146
Don't do it. Only tryhards and autists wear a helmet. Not to mention fags. Pro-tip: don't fall off your fucking bike. And if you do fall off don't hit your head. And if you do hit it then shake it off. Fuck. This is riding a bike not being shot out of a cannon.
>>
>>1022146
Read this:

http://bicyclesafe.com/

then decide for yourself, no one gives a fuck what you look like, if You think you look goofy then Maybe the guy in the huge truck will look at you, laugh at you and move on instead of just wrecking your shit and wondering what that noise was.
>>
I commuted for years with no helmet, my bicycle was my main form of transportation. I started dating a trauma nurse and the stories she told me of cyclist or motorcycle accidents and the person wasn't wearing a helmet are horrible, even if they were sometimes it didn't help much. But I'd rather have it than not these days, even if I look like an ass.
>>
>>1022146
>>1022166
Shit meant to link this:

http://bicyclesafe.com/helmets.html

F U C K.
>>
Depends how fast you ride mostly and what type of road/path conditions you encounter.

I don't wear a helmet when I commute because I take it slower as not to get too sweaty, however, when I'm on my road bike stealing KOMs and bombing down hills at ridiculous speeds I wear a helmet, but mostly because I think it looks cool with my kit.
>>
>>1022178
For me it depends on the kind of streets I'll ve riding through. If it's a very vusy street with a high max speed, I'll wear it. If it's quiet roads or small suvurvan streets, I won't.
>>
>>1022181
For me it's the McChicken
>>
This thread makes me glad I live in a country where wearing a helmet is mandatory. I don't have to wrangle over if it is cool or not, I just have to wear it.
>>
Nice copy pasta, I saw this OP post a well or two ago
>>
>>1022186
Sad. Living in a non-cycling nation. Too bad bro. Only non-cycling countries have mandatory helmet laws.
>>
>>1022419
If you don't need a head, you don't need a helmet
>>
>>1022421
Just because wearing a helmet isn't mandatory doesn't mean you can't use one. Mandatory helmet laws are anti cycling.

I wear a helmet always when on bike and advocate wearing a helmet while cycling. That doesn't mean that mandatory helmet laws are good as they reduce the amount of cyclists. And the more cyclists the better. And that's why mandatory helmet laws are anti cycling.
>>
Helmets have kept my head intact 4 times so far.
You may call that anti-darwinism; I call it self preservation
>>
>>1022427
>That doesn't mean that mandatory helmet laws are good as they reduce the amount of cyclists

They don't, they only reduce the number of people riding bikes.
>>
What is the point of going to school if you won't even protect your brain?

Why not cut out the middleman and start work at a factory instead of getting an education?
>>
>>1022146
Look, kid. I don't know who you are or what kind of riding you do, but I'm not one to back away from a challenge -- or from danger. You see those professional freeriders hucking backies off 30 foot cliffs on gravity rigs? Yeah, I'm one of those guys. Or the guys riding 100kph in a peloton only centimeters away from other riders, where the slightest mishap would send them flying onto the pavement -- or worse, off the cliff that the road is running alongside? Yeah, I'm one of those guys too. I'm a 3-time downhill world champion and a 5-time Tour De France winner. I also have the 3rd lowest time ever recorded in the Race Across America, the most difficult endurance sport event in world history. Then you little BMX punk kids and fixie hipster faggots come and tell me that I am afraid to take risks? No, fuck that and fuck you. I'm not afraid to take risks, I'm just not an idiot. I'm all for adventure and risk, but there is literally no reason to ride without a helmet or without brakes, ever, under any circumstances (aside from riding brakeless in a velodrome). I hope you get run over by a death cage and die, kiddo.
>>
>>1026515
10/10 post good sir
>>
>>1028055
How many confirmed kills do you have?
>>
>>1022146
Take your helment off once you are campus grounds, wear it during commute
>>
>>1022146
wear a fucking helmet
>>
>>1028106
Over 9,000!
>>
>>1022146
You should wear it during lectures to make sure everyone knows how cool you are.
>>
>city has mandatory helmet laws
>city bans riding on the sidewalk
>I break both of these rules

Ayo fuck the police
>>
>>1022146
>Should I wear a helmet for such a short ride?
It takes all of 1 second for a soccer mom to look down to grab her venti mocha pumpkin spice frappe and move over into your lane and kill you.
>>
>>1030433
>too scared to ride on the road
>f-fuck da polis amirite g-guise?
Fucking faggot
>>
File: Fred-Tastic-O-Rama!.jpg (49KB, 399x600px) Image search: [Google]
Fred-Tastic-O-Rama!.jpg
49KB, 399x600px
the following is a list of people that wear magic hats
>children just learning
>mentally disabled adults just learning
>freds that want a pretty hat to match the colors of their underwear
>people in denial that everyone dies eventully
>people that don't realize helmets are largely ineffective and can't do research and think for themselves

do you fit that category? go ahead and strap one on.
>>
>>1022154
Runnyeggsonconcrete.webm
>>
>>1031975
Look, kid. I don't know who you are or what kind of riding you do, but I'm not one to back away from a challenge -- or from danger. You see those professional freeriders hucking backies off 30 foot cliffs on gravity rigs? Yeah, I'm one of those guys. Or the guys riding 100kph in a peloton only centimeters away from other riders, where the slightest mishap would send them flying onto the pavement -- or worse, off the cliff that the road is running alongside? Yeah, I'm one of those guys too. I'm a 3-time downhill world champion and a 5-time Tour De France winner. I also have the 3rd lowest time ever recorded in the Race Across America, the most difficult endurance sport event in world history. Then you little BMX punk kids and fixie hipster faggots come and tell me that I am afraid to take risks? No, fuck that and fuck you. I'm not afraid to take risks, I'm just not an idiot. I'm all for adventure and risk, but there is literally no reason to ride without a helmet or without brakes, ever, under any circumstances (aside from riding brakeless in a velodrome). I hope you get run over by a death cage and die, kiddo.
>>
>>1022146
>giving a shit about what /n/ thinks

make research, look at the pros and cons for wearing/not wearing a helmet, and take a decision based on your analysis of the context in which your rides will take place.
>>
>>1034800
>cons of wearing a helmet
Are you retarded?
>>
>>1031975
>>people in denial that everyone dies eventully
you should take up eating cyanide as a hobby
>>
>>1034856
There are. Cagers assume you are more in security and therefore act more recklessly, and tend to go faster and closer to you; it has even been proved to cause accidents. There are papers on the subject on google, maybe you should take a look at them.

Same goes for cyclists, btw (they act more recklessly as well when they feel "in security"). So yeah, context matters.
>>
File: image%3A11342.png (38KB, 540x135px) Image search: [Google]
image%3A11342.png
38KB, 540x135px
>>1022146

Only if you are a nigger
>>
>>1034856
>>1035007
>inb4 source

One example of what I said. If you want to know more read on risk compensation and other related subjects.

http://www.cycle-helmets.com/P885.pdf
doi 10.1111/j.1539-6924.2011.01589.x
>>
>>1035012
>australia
>"ayy look at ye faggit's got a heaulmet, gedir, lemme put one in ya"
>vehicular assault

what about non prison colonies?
>>
>>1022146
>If you saw someone on campus with a helmet what would your reaction be?
I would think quietly to myself, "That guy probably rode a bike today." Then, I would consider trying to talk about bikes with him because I like bikes. Then, I would imagine all the ways starting that conversation could go badly, look at my feet, and walk to my next class instead.
>>
>>1022146
You don't need a helmet you're commuting, not doing something dangerous like downhill racing or BMX freestyling.
>>
>>1030448
kek
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.