[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Winter Commuting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 28

Everyone ready for winter riding?
How have you adapted your ride?
What tyres do you all recommend?

Pic related: Giro 1965
>>
Use Schwalbe, please please use the brand to give me some kind of verification!
>>
Anything from Continental, Michelin and Hutchinson should be bulletproof - you see the grip their F1 cars get in the wet!
>>
File: received_616241705216603.jpg (96KB, 2048x1232px) Image search: [Google]
received_616241705216603.jpg
96KB, 2048x1232px
>>1021817
Nah contis
>>
>>1021819
What about with 700c wheels with clearance for around 28mm?
>>
>>1021816
Fuck me the old school used to push big gears
>>
File: Capture+_2016-10-28-03-39-18.png (256KB, 1428x1760px) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2016-10-28-03-39-18.png
256KB, 1428x1760px
>>1021820
...schwalbe

I got some because
>>
>>1021821
I wish I could be like them, they are tough as fucking nails!
Big gears up a mountain with no winter gear through a road that was being dug up from beneath the snow as they rode!
>>
I'm ready for winter, did already two days of commuting in snow and ice but it melted all away for today with the rain we got.

Got schwalbe studs on front and I'm gonna throw another one to spare back wheel during the weekend so it's ready for the next snowfall. Got my lights ready and bought some quick fit fenders for the fall. Once proper winter comes I'll be getting rid of the fenders as they're only a nuisance then. Also got some reflective tape waiting to be applied to my frame.

It does seem like I need either new shoe covers or new shoes for this winter. The current overshoes aren't watertight anymore.

>>1021820
You're fucked if you want studs. 35 mm is the narrowest you can find with studs iirc. At that size schwalbe marathon winters or the cheaper k guards are the only choice that makes sense.
>>
>>1021822
I have been looking at these but seen rather mixed reviews. My priorities for the tyre are puncture resistance and grip In wet and for cornering ( few 90 degree turns with less than a cars width of path). Weight and rolling resistance dont matter to me during winter since working harder will just heat me up better.
>>
File: 5340523586_2d3d515c3e_z.jpg (65KB, 640x358px) Image search: [Google]
5340523586_2d3d515c3e_z.jpg
65KB, 640x358px
>>1021816
>How have you adapted your ride?

Now, instead I moved to a part of the world were the city actually cares about removing snow form the bike paths
>>
How are snow tires ever needed for bicycle commuting if you live in the developed world?
>>
>>1021828
>not cutting through the snowy park on your way to work
pleb
>>
>>1021839
you mean they dont clear the paths of snow in the park either?
>>
>>1021860
>the paths
When did I say paths nigger?
>>
>>1021828
When you have a proper winter, no matter what anyone does, hey absolutely cannot prevent snowy and icy roads even if the snow plows are out 24/7.

There is just nothing you can do, you are just being ignorant and dumb.
>>
>light sprinkle predicted
>drive to work instead
(:
>>
>>1021872
>battery is dead because I hardly use it
F U G
U
G
>>
>>1021828
Are you a child, or have you just never traveled north of the mason dixie and realize the temperatures generally get cooler the further away from the equator you travel?...
>>
>>1021872
>wake up to thunder
>gaze out the window to torrential sheets of rain
>make some coffee and pour a mug
>look at cellular: message from coworker practically begging me to let them give a ride today
>turn around to my trusty companion, leaning gracefully against the wall
>a wry smile spreads across my face as I return my gaze to the window

They just wouldn't be able to understand.
>>
>>1021891
So where are you on the spectrum?
>>
How do you prevent your forehead from freezing? I wear double hat, but it still gets to me where the nose starts. Every week there is a day with terrible headaches, nausea and fever every, that goes away the next day leaving just hungover like "afterglow".

So far only ski goggles with something 100% windtight (like ski helmet) has worked. But that's to hot for anything >-5°C.

Any good skullcap recommendations? Many dont go low enough (esp. on forehead) or are just thin layer of simple fabric. I want something with windbraker outer and insulation inner, to wear under helmet or normal looking hat/beanie. Suggestions?
>>
>>1021828

The city likes to plow shit until you're left with a shitty lasagna of compact ice and snow over more compacted snow and ice, with icy ruts everywhere from dicks with skinny tires.
>>
File: IMG_20160117_193134.jpg (232KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160117_193134.jpg
232KB, 1280x720px
>>1021816
I'm forever ready. I ride anywhere between 30-50 miles a day every day year round. I almost entirely use Continental Stargrips
>>
>>1021905
Buy a full face motorcycle helmet and stuff it full of heating pads
>>
>>1021898
Not him but HFA, you?
>>
>>1021905
Have you thought about it maybe being the cold air through your nose?
I know some people who get this, they have a hot drink just before heading out making sure to smell it as well to warm it all up.
>>
>>1021898
Ass burgers here.
>>
File: _DSC0894.jpg (526KB, 2456x1632px) Image search: [Google]
_DSC0894.jpg
526KB, 2456x1632px
Just putting the finishing touches on my budget full-carbon winter bike. Should be ready to tackle a blizzard.
>>
>>1021933
>fell for the carbon meme
>fell for the 1x meme
>fell for the disc brake meme
>fell for the scott meme
>fell for the studded tyres meme
>fell for the rigid frame meme
>fell for the slammed stem meme
>fell for the ziptie'd fender meme
>>
>>1021938
Damn-straight I did. I thought "This would be a stupid idea. . . why not do it?" It's hella-fun on the moderate trails with normal tires.
>>
>>1021938

That's pretty much what you want for a winter bike. MTB's are far superior to road bikes in the winter, more nimble, lower COG, etc. With carbon you don't have to worry about salt corrosion.
>>
>>1021821
the old standard cranks had a 144 BCD. the smallest small ring that can fit is a 42. 52 was a common big ring but obvs racers would go bigger.
>>
>>1021875
This happened to me earlier this week when I needed my car.
>>
>>1021922
"thanks"...

But really, i just had another look at the various skullcaps available and they all have single layer of just the windbreaker material. So without insulation, as it cools down it starts to freeze trough the thin layer.

>>1021924
That feels different and happens at much lower temperatures. And then the ski goggles wouldn't work. Windchill starts to cause troubles even at +5°C, if the wind is strong enough.
>>
>>1021938
>fell for the winter is not a bicycle season meme

It's obvious you've never cycled and maintained your bike trough a winter with snow.
>>
>>1021817
schwalbe smart sam, they were cheap af and apparently quite durable
>>
btw, what kind of clothes do you guys wear, say for a cold/rainy/slushy/not so snowy (so far) winter?

-10c -- 5c range
>>
>>1021938
you must be fun to be around
>>
>>1022070
I remember seeing Löffler skullcaps that had fleece inside them on my LBS. Didn't buy one yet but might have to go get one at some point as they seemed pretty good.
>>
Anyone got experience of schwalbe one or continental grand prix 4000 for year round riding?
>>
>>1022103
Great if you just have a fall and spring without winter. If you've got a proper winter they're shit.
>>
>>1022105
What about Michelin tyres?
Any good for all weather?
>>
File: 1.jpg (241KB, 1402x910px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
241KB, 1402x910px
>>1022103
>>1022119
Ordinary road tires are fine for winter riding when the pavement is wet, or if there's a small amount of fluffy snow. But they become useless when the roads are icy or covered in thick, wet snow.

I had GP4000s on the bike in this picture, they were fine for riding in the conditions pictured.
>>
I bought marathon pluses from schwalbe, time for you continental fanboys to tell me how dumb I am!
>>
>>1021914

>no gloves
>hipster leather designer bag that probably cost hundreds of dollars
>black sabbath(?)

i'll give u 4/10 but no more
>>
>>1021828
some people get snow, hence the term, "snow tires"
>>
>>1021816
Well, I have probably 3 okay bikes to ride:

>2015 Diamondback Overdrive 29er w/ badly adjusted hydro disc brakes

>$150 Walmart 29er beach cruiser w/ coaster brake (chainguard and fenders unfortunately had to be removed)

>198? Schwinn World Sport, needs new tubes but should be road worthy with current tires.

I'm not sure if I want or need studded tires. I suspect they will be difficult to find in a 27" size for the old Schwinn. The 29er tires might be worth it.
>>
Which gloves woud you guys recomend ? Winter is not so rough here (-5°C). Thinking to buy gore windstopper series. Also I'd like gloves that allow me to feel what I'm touching.
>>
>tfw my commute is only like 15 min and there's no snow here so i don't need to do all this bullshit

i ride 24mm s-works turbos. love em
it rains almost every day tho so i just throw on one of those 10 dollar plastic fenders that go on your seat and i'm set.
>>
>>1021823
Hell yeah, those are the dudes I admire.
I'm a pussy just riding 2.5 miles to work in the winter, usually only ~20F.

Pretty sketchy to be on a motorcycle as well.
>>
>>1023306
thats why i said in the developed world, dumbfuck. They clear snow here.
>>
>mfw only have two road bikes, neither of which have wide tyre clearance or bosses for mudguards.

Im def gonna buy at least a raceblade, and maybe even a clip on set of fenders like the Crud ones.

Maybe I should buy a 90s rigid meme machine just to commute with if it gets snowy. That shit sounds comfy as fuck.
>>
>>1021816

Just put on 26x2.2 Continental Top Contact Premium tires. They don't have any spikes, but as a city commuter about 70% of my commute is cleared and riding spikes was pretty annoying last winter. So far I've been really content with the contis. Their grip on wet leaves is clearly superior to my schwalbe marathon spiketires.
>>
>>1023437
You're still spraying shit all over your drivetrain though
>>
>>1021933
no bike fenders.. well good fucking luck..
>>
So it's been below freezing for a few days in a row now and my rear brake cable is already frozen solid. Fuck me.

Gotta wash the bike and get some oil into the cables. The cables are brand fucking new so I've got no idea why it's already happening. It's usually more of an issue with old shitty cables.

>>1023445
>I get snow few times a year and don't ride before it's all cleared away
In the places with proper winter waiting for the snow to be cleared means not riding for a few months. Yes they clear out the extra snow but you can't get everything unless you melt it away. And melting it is much worse than packed snow. Salt should be banned.

>>1023463
You don't need fenders in snow. In fact they only slow you down since snow gets packed in them. Ass saver is all you want in snow.
>>
File: cereal man.jpg (8KB, 251x226px) Image search: [Google]
cereal man.jpg
8KB, 251x226px
>>1021817
maxxis minion dhf/dhr in all conditions.
>>
File: IMG_20161102_192526.jpg (4MB, 4000x2992px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161102_192526.jpg
4MB, 4000x2992px
Just tossed off my derailleurs for winter commuting prep. Last 3 Wisconsin winters have really done some damage to previous derailleurs.

Plan on getting a studded tire for the front and this is gtg.
>>
Just bundle up and you're fine. I rode a Schwinn Madison all winter long in Boston, brakes got a little funky but it was fine
>>
I usually don't change anything, I just ride slower and more carefully.
>>
>>1023497
>Wisconsin winters
JFC, I visited some family in Milwaukee a few years back and mother of god, it's like hell freezes over and all you can do is drown yourself in Spotted Cow.
Not a bad thing but still, props for riding your bike in all that.
>>
You know what is an awful feeling when 30 km outside town on a quiet dirt road. Hearing a clunk from rear wheel in cold weather, and you start wondering if the freehub pawls might freeze is the disengaged position again.

Only happened once mid-commute, but I do get random sloppy pawl engagement clunks as the temperature approaches freezing and the grease thickens. Next time that happen I'm totally pissing on it. I've seen it recommended to put a liquid lubricant in there. But I tried it once and probably used too much because it leaked into the axle bearings liquifying the grease and destroying the bearings / cone and freehub race.

One thing worth doing as weather approaches freezing is to remove the small loop of cable housing going into the rear derailleur and flushing it with WD40. In wet rides water can run along the RD cable and collect in there. It doesn't even have to go below freezing for the cable to stick and RD stop downshifting. I haven't noticed that to be a problem with full length housing, or even a shadow RD where the housing has less of a loop to it.
>>
File: articles_200703_Pg42.gif (9KB, 449x156px) Image search: [Google]
articles_200703_Pg42.gif
9KB, 449x156px
>>1023596
>as the temperature approaches freezing the grease thickens
That's weird, what kind of grease are you using?

I've ridden many different bikes in sub-freezing conditions, and even ridden when it was -14 (f), never had a problem with lubricants failing and I don't use anything special.
>>
>>1023603
Maybe not so much the grease itself as condensation as a result of temperature changes subsequently freezing.
>>
File: Wisconsinvacations.gif (4MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
Wisconsinvacations.gif
4MB, 400x225px
>>1023592
Sounds about accurate.
>>
>>1021938
>fell for the carbon meme
Why is carbon a meme?

>fell for the 1x meme
Less moving parts than a 2x or a 3x, more gears than a ss/fixed

>fell for the disc brake meme
Enjoy your rim lathes

>fell for the scott meme
Why Scott is a meme?

>fell for the studded tyres meme
Some people live in a country where roads actually freeze. Have you ever played ice hockey? Isn't the ice pretty slippery?

>fell for the rigid frame meme
Then I guess you fell for the full suspension commuter meme

>fell for the slammed stem meme
On an ideally fitted bike the stem shoukd indeed be slammed

>fell for the ziptie'd fender meme
Well ziptied fenders kinda suck
>>
>>1023273
The first 4 black sabbath albums are 5/5
>>
Just bought a 28c bontrager hard case lite AW3 tire for my rear and a 30c schwalbe winter tire for my front wheel. i'm curious if this back tire will work at all.

I bought a shitty throwaway fixie for working since last winter I had to replace pretty much everything on the enitre bike even though i poured hot water over it every day. Front hubs got fucked, everything on the drivetrain except derailleurs too. I'm just glad my steel frame was ok. Fuckin road salts man
>>
>>1023700
i think you mean 6/6
>>
>>1021914
>>1023273
The real issue is that Stargrips are made by Michelin, not Continental. -3 points for that.
>>
>>1023437
Have you tried full length fenders? Keeps your drivetrain cleaner, and might even keep your feet and ankles dry, too. I'd never settle for anything else.
>>
File: IMG_20161104_060856.jpg (4MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161104_060856.jpg
4MB, 4048x3036px
i have nothing to add except this picture i took this morning
>>
>>1023793
fuk me
>>
>>1023827
go fuck yourself with your faggot ass fucking bike riding take the seat off and put a dildo there cuz your a faggot
>>
>>1023861
10/10 reminds me of yume nikki
>>
>>1022103
For year round riding i'd pick anything with smooth middle and distinct threads far on the sides. Then you can adapt a lot with tyre pressure, have good rolling on straight runs but get some traction if you sink into snow or other loose cover.

>>1022127
>winter
>pavement is wet

It's just comic how many people respond to winter questions and then start talking about rain and +5..10°C.
If someone specifically asks about winter and not just wet, cold or simply unpleasant weather, i'm 99% sure they mean ICE, SNOW and FREEZING temperatures.
>>
>>1024081
They respond because that's all the winter they've ever experienced and think they're somehow special because they get snow once every few years. For those of us that live in places with proper winter what these people call winter reminds us more of a fall and reading their discussion about riding in their "winter" come out mostly resembling a bad joke.

In other news bought new shoe covers because my old ones were in tatters, added some reflective tape to my bike since it has no other reflectors and threw studs to the back wheel also as it's been below freezing for the last week and roads are all icy.
>>
>>1024087
Installed studs to my car also. All my transportation devices are now ready for winter.
>>
>>1024089
You may already saved yours or someone else's life.
>>
Beefy lights, enhanced maintenance schedule, nice hot cup of htfu.
Doesn't really get that awful here in Britbongland
>>
>>1024087
I'm just wondering if it's simply a language thing. I mean I've heard even the Australians use the word winter. In here the name of season refers mostly to actual weather conditions, not certain time of year. Like when we talk about Africa, we say dry or wet season.

Anyway, i just forgot to add that Schwalbe Hurricane are good all rounders (622-47). A bit heavy and tricky when cornering, but will not leave you spinning out in snow.

Still, i myself prefer Marathon Winters for winter Koyaks for when it's >0°C.
>>
File: CAM00329.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00329.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>1021817
Got some used Snow Studs for pic related.

Still need a comfy saddle, any suggestions?

>>1022074
Start layering up. Wool socks and Goretex combat boots were godsend last winter.

Big ass safety glasses help keep the wind off.

>>1022119
>>1022103
>>1022127
see
>>1021913

>>1023488
They help keep the salt off the drivetrain. My BSO rusted since I never cleaned it last season.

>>1024111
Yee, even last years mild ontario winter had some really gnarly mornings.
>>
>>1024223
Luckily they don't use salt here.
>>
>>1024090
Well winter tires are required by law during December, January, and February, or when the weather requires. Iirc 85% of people here still use studded tires compared to studdless winter tires.
>>
File: WP_20161110_14_20_32_Pro.jpg (3MB, 3415x2106px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20161110_14_20_32_Pro.jpg
3MB, 3415x2106px
Well, about a quarter of my commute was like this, basically had to carry my bike through the snow that had been ploughed over to make the car road snow free.
>>
>>1025551
Haha fyfan, jag budade i den där skiten igår. Helt jävla omöjligt, alla företag förutom ryska posten stängde ner efter lunch, jag bar cykeln lika mycket som jag cyklade och när jag väl cyklade var det i typ 10km/h...

Total misär
>>
>>1025553
Tveksamt om jag tar cykeln imorgon alltså.
>>
>>1025551
I'm so fucking jealous right here. Southern Finland gets snow and they don't even appreciate it while I'm sitting in the north with hardly enough snow to have a white ground.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1025574
You shouldn't be jealous, city was completely fucked yesterday. Ambulances couldn't get through and everything was completely stuck up, for some people it took 11 hours to go a 60km distance with car. I mean it was literally chaos
>>
>>1025576
That's because you live in a place where people are surprised about winter arriving every single fucking time. Every single year of their existence winter comes as and it's just as much of a surprise as last year and they are caught with their pants down. Yes it's gonna cause chaos.

For some weird reason that doesn't happen when you go up north. The people here remember that winter came last year and every single year before that. They take a look at the weather forecast once in a while and look out the fucking window before going out driving their car with summer tires. They prepare for winter instead of going oh shit winter came again what the fuck am I gonna do now when they suddenly see snow outside.

Literally never had problems with too much snowfall. Reading news every single year of the same problems fucking triggers me because it isn't that hard.

When are we gonna round up the southern cagers clearly incompatible with winter, weld them into their cages and create a coral reef around Åland.

>60 km in 11 hours
Should've broken out the skis desu.
>>
>>1025592
to be fair, Stockholm hasn't gotten this much snow in over 100 years.
>>
>>1025595
Yes but they still get snow and winter every single year. And every year it's same fucking shit. At least if it's anything like Helsinki. You don't have to go much further up north and people suddenly seem to remember how to deal with winter even after the long and warm summer.

Snow removal can be a bitch in cities but it becomes impossible when the whole place is in a gridlock because people who weren't prepared decided they need to drive.
>>
>>1025592
Yeah I guess, everyone who are responsible for snow removal are more or less 100% to blame. The problems weren't really that cagers took the car instead with summer tires, most people aren't that dumb. The problem was that there was literally so much snow and absolutely noone getting rid of it (i spent the whole day "riding" my bike on large streets and I saw two snowploughs the entire day. two.). Some dingus at trafikverket (government body which is responsible) claimed that it was impossible to prepare since noone knew about it, which is complete bullshit, weather reports have been saying it for a week.

Studded tires don't mean much if heaps of trucks are stuck in snow on the autobahn... You could more or less see cars stuck in the snow at every intersection you passed. Nothing worked at all. Schools were shut down because they couldn't deliver the lunches to them lol and since public transport was completely broke students had little means of getting home other than by foot (which was hard too in 30cm snow)
But yeah public transport fails every single year because of "hurrrr snow? we weren't prepared". It's usually about delays though, complete collapse hasn't really happened before
>>
I need a good pair of gloves for riding in 30-50 degree weather, any recommendations?
>>
>>1025574
Helsinki is fucking awesome right now.
>>
>>1025595
Yes we have retard. Some newspaper weaselworded a spin on the fact that we haven't had this much snow all at once _in november_ in a century. We've had it nearly every year, but a few weeks later. Remember the snowfalls in 2012?

Don't believe the lies and half-truths. Trafikkontoret and the entrepreneurs screwed the pooch on this one. Badly. We even had several days warning from SMHI and MSB.
>>
>>1025615
I know it's the record for November
Thing is, when it comes later, Stockholm has deals with companies to clear the snow. They don't in November
>>
First hard frost of the year during my commute today lads. Comfy.
>>
File: IMG_7892.jpg (571KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7892.jpg
571KB, 1600x1200px
>>1025619
>They don't in November
Aside from being wrong, that's still fucking the doge. It's a fucking winter month. There's always a risk of snow. Plus they had lots and lots of warning to get the private snow people to come to work early.

What I believe really happened is that the pathologically macho men who do the snow clearing threw in a sitting protest against the "new" rules of clearing bus isles, sidewalks and bike paths first. That's been the official policy for years, and they've sabotaged it every year for as long as it's existed by purposely doing a shit job.
Like bobbing the plow up and down to create a half metre deep wave pattern on bike lanes. Like pretend-plowing the bike path first and then purposely running the road blade fast and close enough to the sidewalk that the bike lane is buried under the shit they plowed up from the road. By clearing the sidewalk path but leaving the snow they pushed in front of the tractor in a big pile/wall at each end of the stretch, effectively rendering it inaccessible.

This year they got very clear *ahem* "instructions" from the new green party trafikborgarrådet (traffic council head?) to fucking _not do that_! And suddenly there was almost no snow clearing done at all. They threw a fit and went on a silent strike.

(Pic related though not mine.)
>>
File: 20161021_165704-min.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161021_165704-min.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
My winter baiku
>>
File: conspiracy.jpg (537KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
conspiracy.jpg
537KB, 2048x1536px
>>1025792
And was I right or was I right? Fuck these fucking fuckers and hope the city hangs them high.
>>
>>1025792
>Poopstreak up back and pebbles on face.

Get a proper setup.
>>
>>1025792
What is the funniest part about all this that these guys are so dumb they don't realize that if they took better care of the bike/walk paths there would be less cars on the road. But no they have the muh cars attitude and try to force everyone else to also use cars by making other forms of transportation unfeasible. Little do they realize that that's why they are sitting in traffic cursing other drivers.
>>
>>1025962
>does not see clearly visible full fenders
>does not read 'not mine'
kys famalam as you'll never be a viking warrior with those coke bottle glasses
>>
What is better for plowing through wet sticky snow, thin or thick tires? I went for 2" for my winter wheels because hurr moar grip, but every time fresh snow piles up in near-freezing temperatures it's a huge pain to ride through it. Show compresses under the wheel then slips to the side every fucking second, both wheels, to the point it's impossible to go straight, and it's a massive skid if I ever try to make a turn. I tried to cross a patch of snow on a cleared road once at like 20 km/h hoping speed would help me keep straight and got spinned almost sideways instantly. I didn't crash but damn I was close. I had a chance to get 1.75" instead and now I'm wondering would they have been any better.
>>
>>1026121
That's how bikes handle in fresh snow no matter the tire width. Fatties may be more easier to force going straight but they're slow as fuck.

The trick is to not try forcing your bike to go in a straight line. Your bike is gonna search it's way through the snow no matter what you do, so let it go where it wants to go. Relax your upper body, stop whiteknuckling the bars, try to keep the handlebars pointing mostly to the direction you're going to but don't force it, stop worrying about slight sideways drifts, and try to keep your pedaling as smooth as possible.
>>
>>1026121
>>1026125
Also I ride 35 mm tires during winter. I find it's a great balance between rolling resistance and grip when riding in streets. At 35 mm you get studs which make a massive difference but still have tread that isn't massive drag on road.
>>
>>1026125
>Your bike is gonna search it's way through the snow no matter what you do, so let it go where it wants to go.
Well it wants on top of me most of the time. It isn't a matter of going straight, it's hard to even keep balance while going in the general direction. I'm not talking about small drifts, those don't bother me, it's like someone is pulling the bike hard from under me in random directions all the time.
I imagine narrow tire might cut deeper through the snow, all the way to the hard surface ideally, while wide one will distribute load to larger area so it won't slip around so much. I only have no idea how narrow and how wide they have to be to work like that.
>>
>>1026422
Using a thin tire to cut through the snow works great when there's only a thin layer (0-3") of fluffy snow on top of pavement, as long as there isn't a layer of ice or packed snow underneath.

As for struggling to keep the bike going straight/upright, if it hasn't started snowing where you live yet, you can practice your riding skills by riding through gravel. As long as you keep momentum up, continue pedalling, and ignore that the bike is squirming underneath you, you'll stay upright as long as you have enough momentum to make it to the next clear section.

Even with 2.5" studded tires, riding on a street that's covered in snow over a layer of bumpy ice is difficult, and riding becomes an exercise in picking the right line and figuring out when you need to put on speed to plow through rough patches.
>>
>>1023273
>don't have my gloves on
>It's a swiss mil surp bag
>it's rubberized cloth
>cost $50 on ebay (getchu one)
>they're 100% water proof
>it's my roommates black sabbath
>black sabbath is bretty good though
>>
File: 24531276694_e7da3f2af4_h (1).jpg (704KB, 1066x1600px) Image search: [Google]
24531276694_e7da3f2af4_h (1).jpg
704KB, 1066x1600px
>tfw sounds are muffled by all the snow
>>
File: EIK400C11 17.jpg (670KB, 870x1280px) Image search: [Google]
EIK400C11 17.jpg
670KB, 870x1280px
>>1028429
Nice shot mah nigga. Tri-X? Cycling in winter is weirdly comfy, unfortunately ours already ended for now.

>>1021816
Left mine on a sort of universal gear because the gears stop shifting below 0 celsius for whatever reason. I really could use wider tyres because local road maintenance doesn't give a fuck about bike lanes. Which is ironic because the city wants to promote commuting by bike in winter.
>>
>>1021891
>>look at cellular: message from coworker practically begging me to let them give a ride today
>>turn around to my trusty companion, leaning gracefully against the wall
>>a wry smile spreads across my face as I return my gaze to the window
>They just wouldn't be able to understand.
My boss used to almost beg to drive me home when we worked late on some project or had a company dinner and it was raining.

They really don't understand.
>>
>>1028445
>gears stop shifting below 0 celsius
There's probably some water in the shifter cable housing
>>
>>1021816
>Everyone ready for winter riding?
>What tyres do you all recommend?
I have decent clothing for it, it gets down to -25c here which is tough but you can do it with the right layers etc.

The one thing I don't know about are tires. There are often icy patches on the bike paths because shop keepers toss buckets of waste water out on the street, even in winter when it freezes instantly.

What is the right tire for riding over ice? Is there such a thing?
>>
File: IMAG0531.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0531.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>1021891
>>1028558
My coworkers don't beg to give me a ride. However they look at me like there's something wrong with me and keep asking if I came with a bike.

They really don't understand.

>>1028566
Studs help and make it rideable but they aren't magical.

>>1028429
>tfw all the snow melted away already
>>
>>1028558
they want road head
>>
>>1023861
comfy as fuck mane
>>
File: wb2651.jpg (22KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
wb2651.jpg
22KB, 500x500px
>>1028560
>There's probably some water in the shifter cable housing
Or snow/slush gets sprayed somewhere.
I've ridden in slushy snow and when I got back to the hotel, the rear mech was one solid chunk of frozen mud/ice with a channel through it where the chain travelled. Had to knock it off with my lock but it more or less came off in one piece.

>>1028585
>However they look at me like there's something wrong with me and keep asking if I came with a bike.
Came with a bike? See >>1028489 , I don't think I ever had but my wife did have to share our hotel suite with a brand new ultegra titanium CX on our honeymoon.

I know that look though. It IS nice to ride in terrible weather when you're geared for it. My commuter used to have a cup holder on the bars, I'd use pic related and fill it with hot coffee and sip it at lights on the way to work. Even in pouring rain, I'd be comfy as fuck. Only downside is that with a latte, you have to clean the mug asap at destination because otherwise it smells of dried milk in the mechanism etc and that tastes like shit next time. The pieces come apart easily though and it's pretty simple to clean but you have to do that every time and straight away.

Even though I had to ride two hours at 7am in all weather, I miss that commute. I was super fit during that job, rode 50km/day just in my work week.
>>
>>1028585
>Studs help and make it rideable but they aren't magical.
Thanks.
Should I buy tires prestudded or fit them in knobbies?
I ride CX so I can take most tires, currently have Continental Cyclocross Race 700c 35mm. What would you recommend?

The Conti CX tires aren't knobby, they're just a hybrid tire I guess, somewhere between full slicks and trail, handle well in mud and mild snow but my problem is actual sheets of ice which are all over the place here.
>>
>>1028629
I only have experience with prestudded. I've had both Nokian and Schwalbe studs and wastly prefer the Schwalbe ones. Their tread pattern is pretty good for riding on the roads but still have pretty good grip in ice thanks to the studs. Where they suffer a bit is deep snow because the tread isn't aggressive enough but at least I don't get those days very often.
>>
>>1028711
>I've had both Nokian and Schwalbe studs and wastly prefer the Schwalbe ones
I like Schwable generally.

Which tires do you recommend?
I see Winter, Snow studs Ice Spiker. Not sure if there's any genuine difference between them or just price segments.

I guess Ice Spiker or Winter, the difference is whether it gets ridden on-road as well?
>>
>>1028752
Both are good. Ice spiker pros are great if you ride off road. The marathon winters/kguards are better for on road riding. You can tackle the occasional trail with them just fine but for proper trail riding or off roading the ISP is far better choice. That said there is a full sus MTB commuter at my work with ISPs front and back so it's not like you can't ride them on the roads.
>>
>>1021905
We use ski/snowboard helmets, retrofitted with a motorcycle visor.

No more snowflakes in the eye, shrugging of hail and thunderstorms like nobodys busyness, laughing at cagers that have to slow down in heavy rain
q8^D
>>
>>1028757
>That said there is a full sus MTB commuter at my work with ISPs front and back so it's not like you can't ride them on the roads.

Looks like ISP doesn't come in 700c anyway so that makes my decision for me, I'll get the Schwable Marathon Winter, I'm on road anyway but some roads I ride on are literally not ploughed and just melt in spring, even the ones that are, are only plowed one a week or so, they work their way around the non-arterial roads. I've ridden on them but it's hair-raising on normal tires.

>>1028758
>We use ski/snowboard helmets, retrofitted with a motorcycle visor.
That's not a bad idea, I could use my ski helmet, not sure whether goggles would be wise though. Not really necessary anyway, it doesn't snow much here, it's very dry but the occasional sprinkles in the season stick around for a long time and accumulate.
>>
>>1021816
What are the cheapest snow tires that are actually good?
>>
>>1021816
I would like some recommendations on a good

face mask - to cover my mouth while cycling so my lungs aren't raped with cold air

gloves - hands don't fall off
>>
>>1028983
>face mask - to cover my mouth while cycling so my lungs aren't raped with cold air
>gloves - hands don't fall off

I've never found a face mask that didn't end up fogging my glasses. Not a problem with contacts though, I wear my ski gear then, turtlefur works well.

Gloves, I have some nice neoprene ones with an acrylic fur lining, those are comfy at -20c.

You gotta go to a bike store and try some on, brand availability is random and sizes matter.
>>
>>1021816
I'm shopping for winter stuff, any bad choices in there?

They're not all to be used at the same time, those overshoes probably won't go over the boots and the gloves and bar mits are redundant.
>>
>>1029305
Replacement studs should not be necessary I've never lost more than 3 or 4 from a tire, certainly not enough to make a difference.

Boot sizing can be tricky. I bought an older model of regular width Lake in 44 when I wear 43 shoes and could only wear them with the thinnest sock, no room for thermal. Later went to 45 in Wolvhammer, but miss the BOA laces.
>>
>>1028983
I've tried something like this which works great in extreme cold. Except I use an open face balaclava and neck gaiter with hole for respirator instead of attaching neoprene mask directly to respirator. I left the side valves installed but removed the bottom one.
https://tuckamoredew.wordpress.com/2012/01/22/fog-free-at-last-diy-cold-weather-cycling-mask/

Drawbacks:
- end up dribbling snot and spit over the front of your jacket and top tube
- can't drink
- difficult to remove / add mid-ride
- pressure against face and upper nose can get uncomfortable after a while
- mask can interfere with fit of goggles
>>
>>1029310
>Replacement studs should not be necessary
Well it's not going to arrive for weeks, I missed that their delivery was a month away or more. Doesn't matter, that's for long term anyway, I was thinking that it would be good for maintenance at end of season before I put them away until next winter.

>>1029310
>Boot sizing
Yeah, I'm a bit worried about that. I fit the Shimano 48 SPD shoes but otherwise usually wear 49/50. We'll see I guess, 50 is generally a touch too big so I should have a small margin of error.
>>
File: _1280.jpg (164KB, 1106x1134px) Image search: [Google]
_1280.jpg
164KB, 1106x1134px
>Finally starts snowing here
>get to take my fat bike out
>it's the most fun I've had in a long time
>>
>>1029455
I'm jelly. It still hasn't snowed where I am.
>>
>>1029314

I haven't lost many studs, but they do wear down over time. It wouldn't be a bad idea to swap them out after a season if the tire is still good but the studs all wore flat
>>
>>1030481
I haven't had a problem with carbide studs in my marathon winter tires wearing down. I've got over 2000 km on them since 2010 including a lot of riding on bare pavement.

I had a single winter tire with stainless studs on my mtb and those wore fast even just as a front tire.
>>
>>1030481
>>1030502
I guess I'll see at the end of the season. It's not expensive anyway, about $30. It seems common to lose one or two studs now and then so at least I'll be able to replace those.
>>
>>1029455
Should I get one? I'm just by Chicago (1 or 2 miles north of O'Hare) and I see some on Craigslist around $200.
>>
>>1028626
I ordered one of these for my commute last week. Are we a hive mind?
>>
>>1030572
>ordered Stanley 1913 bike cup
They're bretty gud desu

But for the love of god, if you drink anything with milk, wash it ASAP

If you have to, buy a bottle brush and a scrubber with bristles and keep it in a cupboard at wherever you commute to.

You need to clean the spring and some plastic parts with little grooves and threads and stuff that milk can get stuck in.

Or just drink your coffee black.
>>
>>1030575
>Or just drink your coffee black.
This. Dairy just rots and you'll smell like sick.
>>
>tfw more snow
>>
The clear visor I bought for my Giro Air Attack Shield proved to be a great investment. Absolutely no issued when riding through heavy snowfall of those pesky icy, needle-like special little snowflakes. Before I had to squint my eyes so much I could barely see in those conditions. I guess ski goggles would work pretty well also but since I had the helmet already I decided to give a go for the visor.

Need to get a pair of flat/spd double sided pedals though. Riding in MUPs that haven't been plowed but have had dozens of people walk after snowfall isn't fun clipped in.
>>
>>1029305
>>They're not all to be used at the same time, those overshoes probably won't go over the boots and the gloves and bar mits are redundant.

Personally, I would get normal mtb shoes and get some neoprene shoe covers if you're concerned about price. Same with the gloves. Pick a method and go with it. I think bar mitts are a gift from god.
>>
>>1030570
Fat bikes are meant to be ridden on top of snow/sand. You don't get any extra traction with a fat tire bike.

If the snow isn't deep or firm enough, you'd be better off with a regular mtb or road bike.

There are two strategies for riding in the snow. Float on the top (deep, firm, dry snow), or cut through the snow (thin, loose, wet snow) to get to that nice firm road.

So if you get the deep dry snow in Chicago, go for it.
>>
>>1025795
noice. you catch that buy-one-get-one deal earlier this year with the vaya?
>>
How do you guys keep your extremities warm? Even with thick gloves my fingers got frozen stiff.
>>
>>1030790
Mittens, or lobster gloves. I use lobster gloves when it's above -20°C. After it gets colder than that I switch to heavy duty leather mittens.

Double wrapping your bars might help to keep the cold away a bit. Also the small hand warmer packs are pretty useful but I find that they make my hands sweat like a bitch if I do any physical activity.
>>
>>1030793
Thanks m80, I just got new gloves so don't wanna have to get more, but hand warmers sound like a good idea.
>>
>>1030790
Are your gloves tight? You definitely want some wiggle room to prevent restricted circulation.

Wind is also likely a factor. Back of hand and fingers take the full brunt of the wind out on the bars. Many people rave about bar mitts, but I think handle grip wind deflectors would also be a big help. I've thought about making my own from pop bottles but never get around to it.
>>
>>1030802
>Are your gloves tight?
Not at all, I was actually considering layering two different pairs.

>Many people rave about bar mitts, but I think handle grip wind deflectors would also be a big help.
I've used them on motor bikes but didn't think they existed for bicycles. Will look up.
>>
>>1030806
I find wearing a thin liner inside my gloves help. Could be you are experiencing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud_syndrome . My body over reacts to cold exposure reducing circulation to my hands / feet making my fingers go white. For my feet I have to use electric heat in addition to wearing well insulated boots. For my hands I often have to rapidly move my fingers while riding to get the circulation back. If they are really cold I have a pair of XL mitts with removable liners that are big enough to fit over my regular gloves.
>>
>>1030809
Ew, Raynaud sounds grim. No, my fingertips/toes just go red and sting.

>I often have to rapidly move my fingers while riding to get the circulation back.
Yeah, this is a good technique. Putting your hands by your sides and rolling your shoulders apparently works well.
>>
File: bikewinter.jpg (584KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
bikewinter.jpg
584KB, 900x1600px
First time riding in winter, should be fun
>>
This guy's pretty hardcore, but not too bright to be riding on the freeway. All the normies want to rush out and buy him a car now.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/video-of-breadwinner-cruising-down-qeii-on-scooter-in-blizzard-goes-viral
>>
>>1032332
Riding a scooter or motorbike in winter isn't anything special desu. Literally every 15 - 18 yo with a moped does it here. Granted they aren't riding on a freeway.

Also casual -28°C when I got up today.
>>
Who /vancouver/ here?

> actual winter instead of just rain

This is fun!
>>
We are experiencing road conditions this week that I like to refer to as metamorphic snow. With temperatures in the -20 to -30 °C range, the snow on the roads is slowly being converted to slick ice as vehicles drive over it.

But I do prefer that to that to the loose brown shit that forms when temperatures are warmer. That stuff doesn't bind together at all and provides no traction and is difficult to steer through.
>>
>>1032459
Downtown Vancouver here.
I don't own studded tires and I've been falling a lot on ice, particularly at the Central Valley Greenway.

How are you dealing with that? I thought of buying studded tires, but then I would be spending almost CAD 200 just to use it for a few days per year...

Also, what's your power level on the bike, anon? I'm pretty casual, but just bought a touring steel Masi to start training and becoming better.
>>
>>1021817
marathon plus year-round on my commuter, haven't had a flat in years
>>
>>1028758
>We use ski/snowboard helmets, retrofitted with a motorcycle visor.
Goggles aren't working too well with my helmet, so I'm going to give a visor a try. I should have ordered one sooner as I probably won't receive the one I bought on amazon until January.

Might fashion one from a pop bottle in the mean time.
>>
>>1021820
Suomi tyres a10, 32mm claimed but they are closer to 28 really. Or the Schwalbe 30mm marathon winters, but I hear they are a pretty hard rubber and stiff casing...
>>
>>1033137
I'm dealing with downtown Vancouver too. I still only use skinny tyres, they're not that well suited but as you said it's only for a few days per year. I'm a road racer so have pretty good power on the road.

MTB experience helps as it improves your balance in slippery conditions. Remember that you can't slide out while moving in a straight line, and when it feels kind of slippy you want to brake gently (and constantly).
>>
File: IMAG0552.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0552.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
So how common is bike commuting during winters in your areas? We got some fresh snow last night and there was a small section of the MUP I use in my commute that hadn't been cleared yet. All the tire tracks are people commuting this morning before I got there. Also note that there are hardly any footprints.
>>
>>1034313
Also pictured: god tier cycling infra with separated MUP and grade separated MUP/road crossings.
>>
>45 degrees F
>stay inside instead
winter sucks
>>
>>1034313
Where I live, riding for recreation is extremely popular, but almost nobody commutes by bike (0.7% of trips according the best available data) even during summer, and during the winter that number drops even further. I'm not the only person who rides in the snow, but the last time it snowed I only counted 2 other people's tracks on the short stretch of MUP that I access on my way to work. But if you visit any of the parks nearby that that feature MTB trails, there are always lots of tracks there, so people are still riding, they're just not riding for transport.
>>
https://youtu.be/GJ6kQH0Jf4A
>>
>>1028765

Any MTB knobbie with wide knob spacing will do.
>>
File: 1471222149516.png (267KB, 565x311px) Image search: [Google]
1471222149516.png
267KB, 565x311px
>>1021891

>they just don't understand

Couldn't agree more! When you come home from such a ride, you feel comfy as fuck and you fucking deserve it.

>workout
>work
>workout
>day not even over yet
>>
How does one keep apartment clean?

I live in northern europe and my shitty mountain yellow snow bike accumulates filth, sand, salt and snow, I get it home and everything melts into a filthy puddle
>>
>>1040352
I keep my house clean by storing my bikes in the garage. It's one of the few benefits of living in a suburban village.

My friends that have bikes and live in an apartment usually store their bikes in their balcony.
>>
>>1040352
A plastic boot tray as wide as the bike would be good if you could find one, or maybe two smaller ones. I use a narrower one when washing my bike inside during the winter.
>>
Had my first encounter with black ice today. Making a turn, slipped and hit my side. I sure was glad I was wearing a helmet since I felt it hit the ground.
>>
>>1032459
Not in Vancouver, but just south of the border. I can't feel my toes or fingers after riding to work. Shit sucks.
>>
>>1028428
>>1028428
HOLY SHIT LINK FOR THE BACKPACK!!!!
>>
>>1021817
I ride marathon supreme but the old tread pattern. I have marathon on my tandem and shit as well. Also ride pana and conti sometimes though and they're all pretty good. Nothing else is bombproof like the marathon tho
>>
>>1021898
fuckin kek
>>
What kind of jacket do I need to ride in the very cold?

I did 75 km the other day in -10 C wearing my normal jacket over wool long underwear and my torso seemed to stay fairly comfortable as long as I kept moving. When I got back and took my jacket off I found that I had plates of ice on the inside of it near my stomach, presumably from my perspiration freezing.

I guess something with elastic at the waist would address the ice issue.
>>
>>1021816
>Everyone ready for winter riding?
45 minute commute one way, and no other options beside my bike. I better be.

Uh, fixed my brakes, I guess? And I've postponed putting on a new chain. Pointless with all this salt.

>What tyres do you all recommend?
I'm too lazy to switch my tires for winter. Then again, I slid on a patch of ice 4 weeks ago, sprained my wrist and it still hurts, so don't take my advice.
>>
>>1021817
Tell me more about Schwalbe professional bike tires.
>>
>>1021891
C O Z Y
O
Z
Y
>>
>go for long winter ride
>start eating chocolate bar brought as snack
>body temperature has dropped enough it won't melt in mouth
>>
For once I'm glad I listened to random anons and started riding all year long. Riding in the snow is actually really fun. Too bad I was too scared to as a kid. It's more fun than sledding. I rode the mountain bike today. It has the standard 2.25" knobbies. Not sure if I want to ride the cruiser (2.3" freestyle tires) or folding bike (1.75" hybrid tires) yet.
>>
>>1023699
everything is true except for the slammed stem part.
>>
>>1031021
dude, you don't even have anything near snow or ice. why the spikes? you wanna ruin your tires and ride?
>>
File: 20170124_135712~01.jpg (706KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170124_135712~01.jpg
706KB, 1920x1080px
I saw this a few days ago and it made me #upset
>>
File: 20170124_135719~01.jpg (377KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170124_135719~01.jpg
377KB, 1920x1080px
;_;
Thread posts: 189
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.