[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Convince me to wear "cycling clothes"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: 1463075947342.jpg (129KB, 452x680px) Image search: [Google]
1463075947342.jpg
129KB, 452x680px
So I'm pretty new to cycling, got a Ghost road bike at REI about 3 months ago and have put around 500 miles on it since then on rides of 15-25 miles each. I've been wearing the same clothes I wear running, just normal fitting athletic clothes - shorts, short-sleeve shirt, plus a track jacket if it's cold. No tight spandex or anything like I see a lot of cyclists wear. Why should I really wear that stuff? It's more aero sure but is that just minor min-max type stuff or does it really make a noticeable difference?
>>
It's less about aero and more about comfort, particularly the shorts.
>>
>>1018512
The padding in cycling shorts is important for comfort if you're going to be spending more than 2-3 hours in the saddle at a time.

Cycling jerseys have pockets that you can stash food in; also important for multi-hour rides.

Neither matter if you're topping out at 25 mile rides.
>>
>>1018513
>>1018514
Mandatory if rainy. Otherwise you can always ride comfortably without them.
>>
I would suggest the shorts. You can buy nice normal looking shorts with padding if you dont like the tights.
>>
I've done ten-hour rides in Merino boxers under review sports shorts and my ass was the only part that wasn't dead at the end. Brooks b17 though.
>>
>>1018550

Review=regular...
>>
Either complete noobs or land whales refuse to wear proper clothing. One can spot the tryhard by the bike fit, the gut sticking out and the "running clothing". Not to mention it looks like 3 times more dorky and embarrassing than actually wearing those tight clothes you are so afraid of. Unless you exclusively bike for commuting there is no reason not to wear proper gear.
>>
>>1018512
Get at least some shitty cycling shirt from goodwill, nobody wants to look at your ass.
I got one a size bigger in case I ever feel the need to wear it over something (I'm between M and L)
>>
File: 1468794116246-o.jpg (156KB, 530x600px) Image search: [Google]
1468794116246-o.jpg
156KB, 530x600px
>>1018553
>tfw fat tryhard in normal clothing
>>
>>1018512
Let me tell you a story related to your question, OP.

About 16 years ago when I started riding regularly again, all I had was a cheap ($350) mountain bike made by Giant. It was a piece of shit. I knew nothing about bikes, really. I also had no money to speak of. I dressed to ride about the way you did: nylon gym shorts, cotton t-shirt, crosstraining shoes. Bike had a huge saddle, too big and too much gel in it, although I didn't know how wrong it was at the time. Bike wasn't fitted to me either, but that's a whole different story. I'd ride for hours. I'd stew in my own sweat because nothing I was wearing would move sweat away from me to evaporate it away. It was miserable. I got massive saddle sores in part because of that, bad enough that I wouldn't be able to ride for days, even a week sometimes, until they went down.

Cycling-specific clothing are designed to fit like a second skin, and are made of a fabric of fibers that have channels on them, and capillary action wicks sweat away from you to the surface of the fabric, where it's evaporated away, not only keeping you cooler, but helping to prevent saddle sores. The padding in the crotch of cycling shorts also wicks moisture away from your crotch, provides cushioning in the spots you really need it most, so you don't have to have a gigantic saddle, so you have less chafing, therefore less skin irritation, and that plus less bacterial-laden sweat hanging around, you have less chances of painful saddle sores.

Cycling-specific jerseys also are made of moisture-wicking material that helps keep you drier and cooler instead of overheating.

Wear what you like, but cycling-specific clothing is not a meme, it's not 'jew companies trying to take your sheckles', and it's not 'gay looking' because MOST avid cyclists wear cycling-specific clothing. It's purpose-made, and there are damned good reasons to use it. You can get decent generic gear from Voler for cheap.
>>
>>1018513
bib shorts
i
b
>>
>>1018580
"I have to get naked to shit" the pants
>>
>>1018580
I prefer pressure in my waist than my shoulders and crotch.
>>
>>1018585
how many times do you shit each ride?
>>
>>1018514
The padding is not important at all but whatever floats your boat.

>>1018512
Wear whatever you want. When you go scuba diving, get a trench coat, i don't care. If you feel like a cool boy about it.
>>
>>1018578
>Jersey for 99$
>Cheap

That's like my monthly expenses on food.
>>
>>1018553
>Either complete noobs or land whales refuse to wear proper clothing. One can spot the tryhard by the bike fit, the gut sticking out and the "running clothing". Not to mention it looks like 3 times more dorky and embarrassing than actually wearing those tight clothes you are so afraid of. Unless you exclusively bike for commuting there is no reason not to wear proper gear.

This is so fucking true. If you're even serious about road cycling, you'll adopt road cycling attire pretty quickly. Only insecure people refuse to wear the shit, cause they don't ride often
>>
>>1018578
Thank you for typing this up. I get a fucking aneurism trying to explain to plebs on why.
>>
>>1018601
>wear cycling attire
Get called Fred
>don't wear cycling attire
Get called insecure
>>
>>1018606
Are you Fred, lol?
>>
>>1018606
Part of being a cyclist is embracing your fredness, might as well do it sooner and get it over with.

On /n/, we are all fred. Except maybe sanfranon that guy is legit.
>>
>>1018620
Fred stands for
"Fake it till you make it", Ride Every Day
>>
>>1018606
Wearing cycling attire doesn't make you a Fred, wearing a pro team kit replica does
>>
>>1018512
Normal clothing is acceptable when:
>commuting
>touring

But if you're spending shitload of money on a proper road bike why not purchase proper gear accordingly?
>>
>>1018514
>>1018547
>>1018578
OP here, you guys convinced me to at least get padded shorts. I don't like the idea of my ass being on fire after long rides, which I'm planning on doing soon.
>>
i bought proper cycling clothes when i got my road bike. sure it feels embarrassing to wear but it works so much better than a cotton shirt and basketball pants.

probably get called a fag by every cager driving by but oh well. at least im working out. cycling clothes isnt any worse than what the women wear running around town
>>
>>1018512
you can wear what the fuck you want but you're 100% going to be more comfy in discipline-specific kit.
>>
>>1018572
>>tfw fat tryhard in normal clothing

Still kilometers better than the fat-gave up on trying alltogether hard in the SUV in the mcdonalds drive through with a mobility scooter on the back.
>>
>>1018744
Word

I used to hate on cycling clothes...untill i got my stamina up to over 3 hour rides...now I love em
>>
>>1018724
I found it embarrassing for maybe a month. Now I don't even see them any different to normal clothes.
And if anyone wants to stare at my cock I reckon that makes them the gay one, not me
>>
>>1018512
If you choose to wear anything, wear bike shorts. Holy shit do they make a world of difference. Who cares what they look like. As long as you are wearing them for a bike ride nobody will even think twice.
>>
>>1018553
You're a fucknut. Only try hard autistic racer wannabes dress up. I bet you wear a team jersey too. Fuuuuuuck. What a fag.
>>
>>1018601
But who's actually "serious" about road cycling other than racerfags?
>>
File: tld lime.jpg (48KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
tld lime.jpg
48KB, 600x600px
>>1018553
>this is the proper attire for the type of bikes i ride
checkmate, atheists
>>
>>1018599
Do you live in India?
>>
>>1018809
Not him, but I live in (an inexpensive part of) the US and eating well on $50/month is pretty easy if you can cook a few things yourself and don't mind a mostly vegetarian diet.
>>
I don't want to wear them because I have manboobs

if I didn't I'd be all over it
>>
>>1018512
Convince yourself by actually biking a little bit
>>
>>1018802
Mountain biking clothes are pretty great for commuting and what not.

>>1018790
baggies with a liner are pretty great. you can even do other things in them without looking like a dork.
>>
>>1018720
I use mtb shorts so I don't look like a gay lance armstrong fucker.
>>
>>1018585
I do that with regular clothes as well. No problem here.

>>1018588
Frankly, I don't remember feeling any pressure in me junk or shoulders from wearing bibs, however I do remember getting less comfy on the waist with regular ones.
Cheers.
>>
>>1018809
No, Czechia.
99 dorrars is simply too much for me. I can go with any low cost cycling clothes like I have 2 jerseys about 20 USD each and I am satisfied with them.
>>
I wear lined mtb baggies and a running top or cheapo jersey on my commute or just riding around town on the weekend, but for longer faster rides of three hours or so, close fitting cycling clothing is a must for me. It's efficient at wicking sweat away compared to looser heavier stuff, and the material doesn't chafe. Also, back pockets on a properly fitted jersey means you can store a bunch of stuff in them, or even shove stuff up inside the back of it.

I used to get embarrassed but then I realised that shit actually makes a noticible difference and I learned not to be an insecure bitch about it. My "good" cycling jersey cost like £18
>>
You don't need expensive jerseys. However, having jerseys is really nice. They fit better, they have a gripper and long back so your ass doesn't show when you're bent over, and you're always bent over, and if you're worried about being embarrassed, guess which one is more embarrassing, ass crack or wearing a jersey. Obviously they are made from sports cloth, like most sports clothes are. They have the pockets, which can be nice, but not everyone uses them, I rarely use them myself. However, a big one that is often missed is the zipper, it lets you adjust ventilation with one hand, if you have a full length zipper, it's easier to put on and take off.

I use Fineou brand jerseys, they have everything you need, and nothing you don't, for the price of $15 from eBay. Coolmax cloth, pockets, back gripper, full length zipper and available in plain colors, and a race fit with tight sleeves. There's another brand Pterosaur, if you look for solid color jerseys, you can find on aliexpress with even more solid colors, but they have a looser club fit.

I have several more expensive jerseys with 20 panels, nicer fabric, special grippers, flat sewn seams. They're nice, but not sorely missed. The trim cut of the Fineou and full length zipper trump these other things easily.

On the other hand, you should buy expensive bibs. I have several cheap shorts, and they fall apart, the pads are uncomfortable, the sewing comes apart, and the pads disintegrate. I had one that chafed until I bled. Sometimes they're usable, but it's worth investing in at least one set of nice bibs for long rides. If you can't afford fancy bibs, buy fancy bibs on clearance.
>>
>>1018599
You picked the wrong hobby if you're poor
>>
>>1020079
Oh god, that made me realise how sad it is that somewhere out there some poor person collects rocks in their spare time.
>>
>>1020079
I'm not really poor. Rather a middle class where I come from. And as I said, I can afford what I need, although not the best products of course.

>hobby
I see it more as a sport and lifestyle. Hobby is something less serious.
>>
File: 2ITONiX.jpg (159KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
2ITONiX.jpg
159KB, 1080x1920px
>>1018512
It feels good

It looks appropriate when on a bike, just not when off. You won't look stupid when cycling in cycling clothing, you will look like a cyclist

it is functional. Chamois is necessary for long rides, bib shorts will stay in place no matter what. Jersey pockets are a necessity

I felt like a goober the first time I put on my spandex, but shit works

>>1018599
Aliexpress nigga. Get the exact same stuff for $20
>>
>>1020083
There are some pretty expensive rocks out there
>>
>>1020146
>get the same stuff for $20
Just no. They don't fit as well most of the time, have shitty finishing and quality overall. That said there's nothing wrong with wearing aliexpress gear, just acknowledge it's not the same as high quality gear. Just like the Chinarello isn't the same as a proper Pinarello.
>>
>>1018512
>I'm pretty new to cycling
>25 miles
time will convince you. don't worry.
>>
So I'm a fatass and I went out in lycra shorts +jersey that I got from nashbar to see how it is and well.. after being super embarrassed it was uh.. liberating.
I felt fresher, lighter, cooler and the back pocket thing to carry a snack was dope. Someone whistled at me so I was super embarrassed coming home but it was pretty worth. I think until I lose my fat gut I'll just suck it up and ride.
>>
>>1018512

this >>1021557
>>
File: D'oh.jpg (32KB, 600x435px) Image search: [Google]
D'oh.jpg
32KB, 600x435px
>>1020146
>It feels good
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.