[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/BRG/ Bike Repair General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_20161015_224535.jpg (603KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161015_224535.jpg
603KB, 1280x720px
Recently became active on board and noticed a lack of repair info being shared.
I'm considering a shimergo mod on my CX bike since my Chorus 10-speed (picture related, such a beauty) is a little worn out.
I have no idea how that would work, and I want to be enlightened.
Feel free to post your own questions and anwers on bicycle repair (and to answer mine :DDD)
>>
File: wheelwham.jpg (65KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
wheelwham.jpg
65KB, 500x378px
I bent my wheel like an idiot, and this actually worked.

*wham* *wham* *wham*!

http://sheldonbrown.com/on-road-wheel-repairs.html
>>
I have a steel frame with a more than slightly bent rear triangle
looked it up online already and got the tools, only thing that's holding me back from setting it straight right now is no access to a vise for the time being since a repair stand won't do it for this job
>>
>>1018028
don't you have a workbench or is it just the vice that you're missing? there's movable vices for sale but those typically aren't as strong
>>
>>1017993

Campy shifters will only work with shimano rear derailleurs if you have a cable pull adapter, look up jtek shiftmate.
>>
>>1017993
that's because we have the >>>/n/bbg/ and the >>>/n/bqg.
lurk moar you fucking faggot it's not rocket science
read more sheldon brown before you bring your whore mouth and stupid opinions around here again.
>>
File: image.jpg (214KB, 1024x570px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
214KB, 1024x570px
There's loud squeaks around my bikes's crank/ pedal area;

>change flat pedal, squeaks still there
>when i pedal sitting down, it squeaks
>when i pedal standing up, no squeaks

I feel like the cause is either crank, crank bolt, or the frame itself, my question is what do you think caused it?
>>
>>1018230
>it only squeaks when I use less force
I don't believe you.
>>
>>1018199
I did notice those two but I felt like they were not what I was searching for. oops
>>
>>1017993
why not get a new veloce rd
>>
>>1018238
sorry I'm making a mess out of this, I am OP
>>1018244
They seemed to be expensive as fug, and I feared they'd have the same problem with play as this one
>>
>>1018247
a new veloce rd is around 60 burgerbux, while afaik even with a shiftmate you'd still have to get a shimano cassette and chain, and a wheel with compatible freehub.

the problem you're having is possibly due to the o rings being worn out...you can do a rebuild of the rd by replacing the big springs and o rings, but good luck finding the parts. branford bikes in seattle will do an overhaul for around $90, and they should have parts in stock for it.

if you want to go really cheap, a xenon 10sp rd is around $30
>>
>>1018194
I have a workbench, I'm just not at home
>>
>>1018230

Loose bottom bracket?
>>
File: 1391823383614.jpg (24KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1391823383614.jpg
24KB, 500x500px
>>1018230
Give us a better description
How often does the noise occur per rotation etc.
all the details you can gather are important, and before you post them, read http://www.sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html#bottom
>>
>>1018230
>>when i pedal sitting down, it squeaks
>>when i pedal standing up, no squeaks

it's maybe your seat or seatpost, not your bb.
>>
How can I adjust the rear brake lever on my new disc brake cross bike. When I'm braking from the hoods, I have to really make an effort to squeeze the brakes. Almost feels stuck. When I'm in the drops, it seems fine.
>>
>>1018421
It's normal to feel you have a little less braking power from the hoods than the drops (because you're grabbing the lever higher up, so you get less leverage).

There are loads of good tutorials online about adjusting disc brakes.
>>
>>1018028
Any local makerspaces or bike co-ops around? they might let you use their vice.

>>1018409
Also, consider putting grease in your seat post and putting the right amount of tightness on the clamp.
>>
>>1018230
Very likely you need to overhaul (clean, regrease, potentially replace bearings) your bottom bracket.

Much less likely, you have to clean and re-grease the pedal spindles
>>
File: homemade-headset-press.jpg (2MB, 4080x1393px) Image search: [Google]
homemade-headset-press.jpg
2MB, 4080x1393px
>>1017993

In anyone's learned opinion, is using a homemade headset press like pic related likely to fuck my shit up?
>>
>>1018783
not at all IMO, although you could use a piece of pipe the width of the headset inner diameter to push against the headset instead of the washer, pressure on the inside would be much less likely to warp or flare out the cup's outer diameter
>>
i'm >>1018230

turns out bottom bracket is the problem, creaks gone after i cleaned the area where BB and crank connects with hose

also checked saddle post coz i really thought that causes the creaks,
>>
>>1018783
used such homemade tool multiple times and so far i never fucked up. Just make sure the cups are pretty straight and even pressed into the headtube. Thats something a downie could do!
>>
>>1018783
I've used those quite a few times. it works okay. The only issue is that because the washers only push on the outside of the headset cup, the threaded bar doesn't stay centered inside of the cups since it's much smaller in diameter which can cause the washer to push down on it from an angle and cause the cup to not go in straight.

It helps a bit to put on two additional nuts on the bar that sit inside of the cups so the bar can't move in there quite as much.

tl;dr these things work but it can be a bit of a hassle. It's alright if you don't do this often or the bike is cheap, if it's a good headset/frame the proper tool might be smarter.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.