[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I hate all bike rack options

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 11

I have a cyclocross bike that I'm having a hard time making more practical.

Rear rack complaints: I just don't like the idea. I want to be able to see stuff. I have an Axiom rack and basket I need to return because their bullshit quick-release system is awful. Topeak rack+basket seemed okay but the disc nor non-disc version didn't fit without having to cut something. I'm paranoid about not being able to see the load. Don't like the reduced ability to swing leg over the back.

Front rack: seems nowhere near the drop-in-and-go convenience of a basket, can the front arm of a bus rack go over the front wheel with a front rack in place? Some mount to the axle and front brake hole (doesn't seem like enough) and my bike has a carbon front fork so I don't think P-clips would work, though the Blackburn Local basket looks otherwise perfect.

Front basket: most seem cheap, higher end ones have huge holes between fat tubes that mean you can't just toss a beer bottle in. Wald has tight hole design, but they are weak and flexy and I don't like the idea of the handlebar supports.

Again, my biggest concern right now, the reason I have not yet ordered the Origin8 Classique front rack, is how would it fit on the front rack of the bus if the arm can't go beyond the 12-o-clock position of the front wheel? Also again, the load being stabilized only by the brake hole seems absurd. Wish I had a bike with side braze-ons now.
>>
File: Document.jpg (21KB, 237x242px) Image search: [Google]
Document.jpg
21KB, 237x242px
and this is what I mean by the bus arm. Could it stabilize the front wheel if you can't get it past the front rack stays? Can it be used on the rear wheel instead?
>>
File: 61hSpsAizML._SL1200_.jpg (113KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
61hSpsAizML._SL1200_.jpg
113KB, 1200x1200px
This 'basket' can't hold small items without secondary containment, while also being able to carry less wide things than a normal front flat 'rack'.
>>
File: pc113403.jpg (4MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
pc113403.jpg
4MB, 3648x2736px
I've had one before, the stays are very weak, and I hate the hangars over the handlebars.
>>
Great design, but I have a carbon fork.

Also, safety tabs and generally recessed surface that the quick release goes on seems to limit front rack options. I used washers last time to get the Wald stays off the fork legs.
>>
File: axiom.jpg (31KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
axiom.jpg
31KB, 355x355px
Terrible quick release basket. Do not buy.
>>
Not really feeling bags as a primary solution because I would prefer orienting take-out food flat. That's usually the reason I want a rack in the first place. That is why I am shopping for something basket-like.
>>
Introducing the dutch way of securing a front rack

1)buy this pos that secures to the head tube(rack doesn't move with the handlebars)
2)tighten it so it doesn't move
3)find out it can move quite easily unless you crush and FUBAR the head tube.
Never did it myself off,but I've had quite the amount of customers come in with ''my steering is all difficult and stuff D: )
>>
>>1017971
Oh and to add
Most of the racks don't come with the plate you see on the one underneath,so it basically put a fucktonne. Of pressure on 2 very tiny spots on the headtube
>>
>>1017971
>>1017972
Yeah seems like a terrible idea.

Also, I have drop bars (CX bike) and wonder if a flat rack is worthless because width is constrained by the drops anyway. The idea of something sliding sideways and breaking off my shift levers also makes me cringe.
>>
File: static1.squarespace.jpg (211KB, 1000x668px) Image search: [Google]
static1.squarespace.jpg
211KB, 1000x668px
>>1017959

DIY a frame bag?
>>
Check out the PDW take out rack. Handlebar mounted, so no worry about your carbon fork.
>>
>>1017959
get a backpack and stop whining
>>
>>1018091
I hate those bikepacking cocoons so fucking much.
>>
>>1018126
>get a backpack and stop whining

I remember biking with my backpack once. Found it uncomfortable, putting too much pressure on my butt and adjacent parts.
>>
>>1018134
They're the super light and about as aero as you can get, but you probably have to get one custom made for your bike, and you can't just throw shit in one - you have to tetris your stuff in.

Basically, they're purpose-built for competitive endurance cross-country riding and would be absolute shite for casually riding around town.
>>
OP what exactly are you planning to transport?

I've carried all kinds of ridiculous things (lumber, pipes, bike frames and wheelsets, sacks of flour, cases of frozen fish, pizza, bags full of clothing) with no more than a cheap, ordinary rear rack and some creativity using bungee cords and cardboard boxes. A rear rack (with panniers for more flexibility) would easily solve your problems if could get over your paranoia about having to see your cargo.
>>
>>1018161
why would you have to get one custom made? there are a bunch on the market.
>>
>>1017959
Rear Rack.

Stop being paranoid, get a rear rack and good panniers. Problem solved.
>>
>>1018166
bungee cords are one of mankind's greatest inventions
>>
>>1017959
you sound like a grumpy piece of shit
nothing is perfect
>cyclocross
>practical
yeah you fucked up m80

rear rack is greatest. get over your fucking preference of seeing your cargo. trust me, it'll be fine, having your cargo in front inhibits your vision of the road and your tire go complain about that.
get an old man mountain rack or a tubus rack.
fuck off
>>
File: 505_takeout1.jpg (225KB, 1800x1800px) Image search: [Google]
505_takeout1.jpg
225KB, 1800x1800px
PDW takeout?

https://ridepdw.com/collections/cargo/products/takeout-basket
>>
Rear rack + ortlieb roller city panniers, stop being a baby.
>>
>>1018126
>backpack
Works okay for me, but the main problem is that you need a rack to carry pizza.
>>
>>1018703
those things are gay and lame
and ugly
>>
>>1017959
>I have a cyclocross bike that I'm having a hard time making more practical.
That may be because it's a race bike...
>>
>>1018703
Don't buy this unless you plan to never put anything in it and use it simply as a fashion accessory.
>>
File: kmart.jpg (31KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
kmart.jpg
31KB, 480x480px
>>1017959
>Topeak rack+basket seemed okay but the disc nor non-disc version didn't fit without having to cut something

It doesn't sound like your problem is a rack problem, it's a BASKET problem.

Get one of these cheap handlbar baskets and hang it off the side of your rear rack. Use cable ties to keep it firm, you will find it useful. Cost like ten bucks.
>>
File: wb044-4pancakes wide 700.jpg (104KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
wb044-4pancakes wide 700.jpg
104KB, 700x525px
get a cetma rack and shut the fuck up
>>
>>1017959
>I want to be able to see stuff
Seems like a mental problem to me

>their bullshit quick-release system
Just zip-tie the basket to the rack

>paranoid about not being able to see the load
See a psychologist and get some bungee straps
>Don't like the reduced ability to swing leg over the back
Git gud

Seriously though if you can't use a rear rack just because you can't get over some phobia, that's a problem. Unless you haul drugs on your bike and you're afraid someone will snatch them from you
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.