[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about BSO's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

5 years ago when I started "cycling" I just went clueless to my local decathlon store and got a rigid decathlon bike that cost me about 110€ (something like pic) I rode that thing hard and everywhere without much of an issue. It came with the very very basic shimano transmission and hi tensile frame, it was properly assembled and had a 1 month free tune up warranty. Recently I started hearing a lot about BSO's and their "dangers" so my question is what really defines a BSO from just a cheap bike? From my experience sporting stores like decathlon actually offer decent bikes for very low cost that won't fall apart yet any elitist fred will be quick to judge a bike and label it a "BSO" just because it costs less than 500€
>>
I can't find the subscribe button
>>
>>1017452
Cost is irrelevant, the quality is what matters.

A BSO is of such low quality that it isn't fit for purpose, that is it will break in some way after an unreasonable length of time or just be downright dangerous to ride. Performance could also be a factor, whilst a BSO may have a drivetrain that rolls and changes gear, a suspension fork that moves, or brakes that eventualyl stop the bike it may do so very poorly.
>>
>>1017455

[SUBSCRIBE]
>>
>>1017452
If you can ride it 100km on road, paths and a small amount of gravel without it disintegrating into dust, then it is not a BSO.
>>
>>1017504

will waking it for 100km count?
>>
>>1017452

My main issue with shit quality bikes is the wrong impression they give to noobs

My friend refuses to ride bikes because the broken BSO he rode around on, with the sake so lie it was like a BMX, got too many flats and was uncomfortable to ride

BSOs are burning a lot of their owners, who will never know what it's like to ride a bike with a nice saddle, good fit, strong brakes, and high tpi tires that don't flat much
>>
>>1017551

Saddle so low*
>>
>>1017452
Department store bikes vary, don't paint them all with the same brush. Not all are BSOs. Often, the suspension forks are not trustworthy. Rigid bikes are often fine, but high tensile steel is very heavy. The derailleurs/shifters range from horrible to okay. I would stay away from grip shifters. With cruiser bikes, they are too simple to fuck up horribly with proper assembly. My $150 Walmart cruiser bike rides nicely but the fenders and chainguard were low quality and had to be removed. It is surprisingly light, and sturdy. Unfortunately the rims are weird, so they need an extra long valve stem. The tubes have lasted 3 years with no problems. It will suck having to get new ones.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.