[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Abandoned Bikes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: bike.jpg (123KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
bike.jpg
123KB, 576x432px
In the flats I live at there are a few abandoned bikes locked up outside, a couple of them look quite good if they were given a bit of TLC, but mostly BSO's. I think they are attracting bike thieves and instead could be fixed and left in place unlocked for anybody to use as needed.

Anyone know the legalities of removing them?
>>
>>1014893
what country are you in, dickhead?
>>
>>1014894
I'm in the UK bitch.
>>
>>1014893
I also wonder what the legalities are.

There was a nice abandonned 90's rigid mtb on my home-work path, the wheels were missing and the saddle too but appart from that it was in good condition. The lock was weak so i thought i could pick it up, buy to used wheels and have a nice beater. I waited too long and now the fork/bars are gone too... I don't know who would scavenge a fork on an abandonned bicycle but well... Now no one will ever touch that frame for 2 years untill the city decide to take of the frame...

Anyway i guess the best is still to ask directly to your town police or municipality. I guess that that kind of laws are very local. If your town is bicycle friendly to the point there is a non negligible amount of abandonned bike they certainly have a department that take care of those bikes. My guess is that it'll be illegal to take away/scavenge these bikes, even obviously abandonned, but never really enforced.
>>
>>1014893
>>attracting bike thieves
thieves like OP
>>
>>1014901
Well legally would an abandoned bike be counted as waste or lost property?
If the former it has no owner, if the latter then as long as you show effort to try and get it to the original owner then you can keep it. As far as I know anyway.
>>
>>1014905
Maybe, but maybe the law is constructed to avoid abuses about stealing bikes legally or to avoid grey zones about what is concidered abandonned or not. Making every bike removal illegal except for the town department kill these problems. But then again, if the bike is clearly a waste i doubt police will enforce the law if there is one. But i don't expect the municipality to give you their consent.
>>
>>1014893
OP just admit that your a thief, on your way out of the closet
>>
>>1014893
Just fucking take it mon.
>>
>>1014915
No, I just think that if the bikes were fixedand put back Iin place then they might get used and it eould increase cycle commuting here helping me in the long run.
>>
>>1014893
They're probably bait bikes and if you take one you'll get arrested in short order.
>>
>>1014959
Why would you assume that? My bike got stolen from that rack and nothing happened.
>>
>>1014959
Phone the police and ask them beforehand then.
>>
>>1014976
Uh, those two things have nothing to do with each other.

>>1014997
LOL like they're going to TELL you? You need to work on your critical thinking skills, m8.
>>
Most of them probably belong to heroin addicts who overdosed and died
>>
What is the length of time that a bike has to sit before it becomes "fair game"?

There's a bike locked up outside my gym and i could use a couple parts from it and i KNOW it's been sitting there for awhile, but who on earth would i talk to about...repossessing it?
>>
>>1014893
>abandoned
>20 days

Maybe it's not abandoned. The owner can be travelling by bus and come back after the vacation. Or may have suffered an accident and be on a hospital.
>>
I live in Philadelphia and I've taken parts off of bikes. Specifically if they have sat for over two months. That is my hard time limit.

I've also taken two entire bikes in another town. One was outside my apt building for months without moving, so I left a note inside of a zip lock bag so the rain wouldn't wash it away, asking to buy the bike. A couple days later the note was gone and the bike was left unlocked, so I just took it.

The other one was on the university campus, had sat there for over a semester and everyone had gone home. I went to grab it, thinking this was more like a theft, only to find the lock on this one had be unlocked as well, so I just picked it up and took it home

The average person will see their bike missing wheels and just say "oh fuck that" and leave it there. They have no idea what it is worth. It's very common in Philadelphia for a bike to be abandoned if any part of it is taken. But remember most of these BSOs and total shit. They are a good source for stems, handlebars, and maybe some other bits, but not much else
>>
>>1015790
>I live in Philadelphia and I've taken parts off of bikes. Specifically if they have sat for over two months. That is my hard time limit.

I should also say that I don't take parts off of COMPLETE bikes, only ones that have sat in the rain without wheels for months.

Someone left a campy road bike out in the snow for 5 months last Winter. A had to resist the urge to save the parts very badly. Instead I just watched it slowly rust.

I noticed someone had tied string around the chain. Probably someone else with the same idea, wanting to know if anyone was actually riding the bike.

It disappeared one day. Completely. I suspect someone cut the lock. Usually you'll see a bike parked somewhere else on the street if it's actually being ridden
>>
>>1014893
I do find okay bikes in the trash sometimes. If they are locked I won't fuck with them.
>>
>>1014893
Maybe that abandoned because the fucked frame and rear wheel.
>>
>>1014896

They'll cut your hand off under sharia law.
>>
Taking parts from abandoned cycles is stealing.
Cities or universities are responsible for removing. Removal happens faster if you report abandoned cycles.
Local rules differ slightly
https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=18290

https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/parking-and-travel/travel-transport-and-road-safety/cycling

http://www.ed.ac.uk/transport/cycling/security/abandoned-bikes
>>
>>1014893
If it's locked up and you haven't seen it moved for 2 or so months you're good. I usually just mill about different areas in my town when garbage is being put out looking for bikes before the magical mexicans who collect scrap metal and welfare checks come along with their 90's pickups.
>>
>>1016492
I'm not Mexican, I'm white. And I don't scrap them unless they're shit, or I can't use anything on them.
Sent many a big box beach cruiser to their scrapy graves.

I think you should try scrapping, it's a lot of fun. Don't have to get all the trash routes down and have a weekly autistic thing, but keep your eyes peeled as you drive around.
Most of the stuff you're gonna scrap, unless you wanna dick around pulling air conditionars apart or something, is gonna be $00.02 a pound. That's right, not even a penny a pound.
>>
>>1016497
by me they're dedicated. I can recognize a few by car and they'll take literally anything. I saw one with an old Schwinn Le Tour (didn't see what model of Le Tour) in almost perfect condition, and I went after him to see if I could buy it and he told me he was gonna scrap it, even though I offered $25 for it.
>>
>>1016506
He's a retard if he wouldn't take that offer, like I said, if he has a hundred pounds of shit, that's like, what, two dollars?

I used to be more dedicated, but the cops are getting real pissy about it.
>>
>>1016362
i lol'd
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.