[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 16

File: Prague.jpg (362KB, 1280x762px) Image search: [Google]
Prague.jpg
362KB, 1280x762px
I just want to live in a place like this. But this doesn't exist in one single U.S. city. Not one in a country the size of a continent.

Cagers just get mad and tell me to move somewhere else, and "it's what the market wants" when they don't realize their lifestyle is enforced by subsidies and regulations.
>>
nice blog

>>>/trv/
>>
It doesn't exist in Europe any more either, unless you want to be assaulted by migrants.
>>
>>1014132
Prague is actually overstuffed with cars and Prague cagers are pretty agressive. One or two streets in old town don't really make a change.
>>
File: magistrala2.jpg (435KB, 990x679px) Image search: [Google]
magistrala2.jpg
435KB, 990x679px
>>1014164
Meanwhile in real Prague
And it's basically the same in all Europe
>>
File: Pedestrian_Zone_in_Boston.jpg (431KB, 800x544px) Image search: [Google]
Pedestrian_Zone_in_Boston.jpg
431KB, 800x544px
>>1014132
In Europe you will find this everywhere, it's also common in most of the world. It's rare in the U.S. but there are car free places. Mostly islands, university campuses and some pedestrian malls.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_car-free_places#United_States
>>
File: Hauptmarkt_Trier_SK.jpg (142KB, 751x583px) Image search: [Google]
Hauptmarkt_Trier_SK.jpg
142KB, 751x583px
Is it really this hard to close a road for car traffic?
>>
>>1014870
In the US, yes. Infrastructure is a very political thing here, especially roads, essentially the cage doesn't want to give up even a inch of pavement.
>>
>>1014169
Near Quincy Market. Really nice stretch of land. I wish we could see more pedestrian malls in America.
>>
>>1014164
i Went to prague for a week this summer and if found it pretty ok. The number of car-free streets was fair imo. Asking for a 5km radius car-free disk isn't realistic anyway. On a side note : i'm french and in france when there is a crosswalk without red lights cars won't let you pass, you have to wait till there is no cars and cross the road, even if the law says that pedestrian have priority on cross walk. In prague every car or so let you pass when you're on the crosswalk. I found it very pleasent and "respectfull".
>>
>>1015158
>the cage doesn't want to give up even a inch of pavement.
Sigh.
Obviously, no property owner (or renter) wants their property cut off from vehicular access.
Even if you personally could live with it, the property value would probably drop, unless it was part of a big urban renewal project like Charlottesville VA's pedestrian mall, the piers in Baltimore's Inner Harbor, or Fremont Street in Las Vegas.
But I'm also familiar with places in Fredericksburg VA and Savanna GA that have the relaxed atmosphere of a pedestrian mall without outright banning cars.
In F'burg, when I ride down Caroline Street on the weekends, I have to slow down because cars are going slower than most people bike.
Raging cagers stay away because they couldn't stand the speed of traffic there.
>>
>>1014132
You're obviously very terrible at looking
>>
>>1014168
Cager holocaust when?
>>
>>1014870
Related to this thread, the 10k-town on Bad Wildbad just reopened a street for car traffic, after it being a pedestrian zone for 17 years.
1996 the through car traffic was rerouted using a tunnel around the town, 2003 a tram line was built in a parallel street that also drew pedestrian traffic away from this particular street.
Store owners complained that business was declining and hope to revitalize the street by turning it into a one-way street and adding a couple of 30 mins parking spots.
The results are to be evaluated in March next year.
>>
>>1014132
>I just want to live in a place like this.
Build it yourself.

>But this doesn't exist in one single U.S. city.
Build it yourself.

>Not one in a country the size of a continent.
Build it yourself.

>Cagers just get mad and tell me to move somewhere else
Maybe because they don't want gridlock in exchange for something that less than 0.05% of people use?

>"it's what the market wants"
It is.

>they don't realize their lifestyle is enforced by subsidies and regulations.
You say that... But you're assuming. One does not have direct control over what is subsidized. I would be glad to see automotive subsidizes and taxes be removed.
Honestly, you should just bribe the chief of the BLM to do their job and sell you some land.
>>
File: Car Genocide.jpg (271KB, 962x620px) Image search: [Google]
Car Genocide.jpg
271KB, 962x620px
>>1016066
Cager holocaust NOW
>>
>>1016555
>gridlock in exchange for something that less than 0.05% of people use
>pedestrians are 0.05%
>by this anons logic LA would be the city with least traffic bc muh highways
>thinking that there's a gulf between the european and american "market" making americans en masse want shitty car-centric cities
>this is what burgers actually believe
unironically end yourself
>>
>>1016555
>dude just build your own city lmao
>>
Most large European cities have heavy car traffic, although the historical cores tend to be strictly for pedestrians. It's definitely enviable, but it's not 100% paradise either. A lot of these places are filled with Chinese tourists and migrants selling trinkets.
>>
>>1016599
Nearly all Americans are immigrants. Or at lest children and grandchildren of immigrants. I would not complain if Chinese would come to the US spend the money they earn from selling us their stuff. Might bring balance to economy.
>>
>>1015248
>Obviously, no property owner (or renter) wants their property cut off from vehicular access.
This is closer to the truth.

In my central-USA town of 50K people, any time the city proposes ANYTHING that messes with the free parking, it's a guaranteed bet that all the businesses affected will show up to protest at the next city aldermen meeting.
To them, lots of free parking means customers. Anything else (restricting parking spaces or charging for parking) doesn't. These things have been tried before and it's known how they turned out.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, my opinion isn't part of this post.
I'm just saying that the BIGGEST objectors to creating pedestrian areas in my city's center are the very businesses that are located there already.
For them, no convenient (free!) parking means no customer traffic.
>>
File: 2011_07_04-040-Beijing_Seoul.jpg (698KB, 917x1222px) Image search: [Google]
2011_07_04-040-Beijing_Seoul.jpg
698KB, 917x1222px
>>
File: 20160731_205905.png (4MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20160731_205905.png
4MB, 2448x3264px
>>1014132
Try Michigan.
Grand rapids isn't bad for cycling, particularly downtown. We've got decent trails too.
>>
Anywhere walkable in my city is filled with junkies and tweakers.
Someday I wanna get land in the middle of nowhere and build a city where you have to leave your car at the front
>>
>>1016066
People who have real jobs can't cycle to work.
>>
>>1019610
I manage it just fine.
>>
>>1014153
I went to Madrid a few months back and it was perfect for cycling. Granted, places like Italy may be a lost cause.
>>
File: 14230063929_34d59121fa_o.jpg (448KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
14230063929_34d59121fa_o.jpg
448KB, 1920x1080px
>>1019610
People who have real jobs commute by train.
>>
>>1014870
Serious question, how do stores and restaraunts there receive shipments?
>>
>>1016945
Well sometimes a city tries to get rid of free/convinient parking without doing anything else to the city's infrastructure that would allow people to comfortably travel to those places without a car. Yes, you can make an area be perfectly nice and walkable, but the problem is most people live miles away in a low density city without good public transit or bike infrastructure.
>>
>>1019610
I really wish my job would get showers and locker rooms. I only live 3.5 miles away from my job and could easily ride my bike there in a short amount of time on a fairly stress free route of paved trails and bike lines, but I would get sweaty as fuck no matter what. I live in a hilly that also happens to be in Florida and is therefore hot as fuck most of the year. Yeah I know it's not fucking Colorado here, but I do live at the top of a half mile long hill with a 4.1% grade which is typical for the bigger hills in town that are unavoidable.
>>
>>1019661
You're either a lying or one of those freaks that likes to ride bikes among car traffic. Either way you're full of shit and should kys
>>
>>1015248
>Obviously, no property owner (or renter) wants their property cut off from vehicular access.

In some cases, pedestrian malls increase business. But it has to be planned carefully.

Seattle has had some block parties on Capitol Hill, where they closed down some streets to traffic. Local bar and restaurant traffic was great. But the mistake they made was to block a major arterial rather than organize it on some less used side streets where the shops actually are.

The plan wasn't to encourage pedestrian malls as much as it was to organize a giant 'fuck you' to vehicular traffic (both cars and bicycles).
>>
>>1019715
They use teleporters you barbarian.
>>
>>1019715
Deliveries vehicles are authorized, but only at a specific time of the day. It's something like between 9am and 11am in my city.
>>
>>1019715
The solution is simple and was introduced by the ancient Romans about 2000 years ago. Vehicles with shipments can access a pedestrian zone in the night/early morning. And of course there are also some exceptions e.g. for emergency vehicles.
>>
>>1019732

Colorado here. Denver itself is on the great plains and is mostly flat. I also never sweat here because no humidity. Enjoy getting whacked in the face by giant insects every meter.

But if you really wanted to, use a microfiber towel to take a wipe down in the bathroom hobo style, then change your clothes. You're just making excuses.

>>1019944

As always, the Romans already had this problem solved. Thanks shit tastic public education.

Would /n/ have an orgasm if there were cross-nation aqueducts?
>>
>>1020000
>cross-nation aqueducts

pipe-line are kind of like that.
>>
>>1014132
Look at that happy street filled with happy people not having to deal with a bicycle barging through there.
>>
>>1019609
How do you stop the junkies and tweakers though? Keep it all private?
>>
>>1020350
>How do you stop the junkies and tweakers though?
Ultimately it's impossible to entirely weed out undesirable behavior (because that's just human nature), but places that bustle with life and activity tend to discourage that kind of activity (or at least minimize it to a level that it goes unnoticed). So if you want to stop junkies and tweakers, the solution is to get more regular people out walking and using the streets (as opposed to only using the streets as a thru-way for their automobiles), that will give the junkies an incentive to go somewhere else.

You should read Jane Jacobs 'Life and Death of American Cities', she addresses this very question in great detail.
>>
>>1020369
>but places that bustle with life and activity tend to discourage that kind of activity (or at least minimize it to a level that it goes unnoticed).

That theory would be nice and I would even believe it if I didn't know Prague or the train station in my city.
>>
>>1020350
Keep it private by filling the streets with different classes of people. Put restaurants in between shops and residential building to create a community of different people who don't put up with that shit.
>>
>>1020350
If there are enough shops and restaurants owners will not tolerate junkies nearby. Police patrols also scare them away.
>>
>>1020350
Fill the street level with shops, restaurants, and cafes. Their owners will make sure it's not filled with homeless people.

Alternatively vote people that make sure you've got basic social security systems in place so that there are no homeless people. Also treating people with addictions instead of just throwing them into jail helps quite a bit.
>>
>>1019944
M8, please, where do you found this info?
>>
>>1014132
what you need is a job or enough money to last you comfortably for a lifetime then you can live where you want
>>
File: goslar-04.jpg (472KB, 1660x1104px) Image search: [Google]
goslar-04.jpg
472KB, 1660x1104px
>>
>>1020585
probably from
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/ancient-rome-forbade-downtown-traffic-day
>>
>>1014132
>height limits
This works for historical cities like Prague but it's a bad idea in general

A bit higher (<20 floors) not only minimizes costs (economies of scale), but if you put shops on the ground level or inside the building itself (mixed-use) you also reduce crime and gentrification.

>inb4 someone posts the le corbusier pruit-iggoe meme
towers-in-park=/=towers-in-street

urbankchoze.blogspot.com/2015/08/point-of-view-matters-scourge-of.html
>>
>>1023613
Good article. I think I've seen this blog linked before, here.
>>
>Why

You imported niggers. Then freed them.
>>
>>1023720
Its actually fat suburbanites
>>
>>1023742
who live on suburbs to flee from...
>>
>>1023771
No excuse. Fuck boomers
>>
File: marktplatz_heute.jpg (696KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
marktplatz_heute.jpg
696KB, 1200x800px
>>
>>1016631
>All Americans are immigrants
U fukn srs m8?
>>
>>1026985
>>All Americans are immigrants
>U fukn srs m8?

Technically all people living there immigrated there some time in history. Even "natives" immigrated from Asia. But then all Asians and Europeans are immigrants as well.
>>
>>1015212
The one in my city is so tiny mang.
>>
>>1015270
Hey my grandfather is from near here (La Spezia)
>>
>>1019610
I work in IT in Australia and cycle to work most days. In the cooler months I cycle in my suit.

Work has showers and free towels to use in summer.
>>
File: Markttreiben auf dem Marktplatz.jpg (1MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Markttreiben auf dem Marktplatz.jpg
1MB, 3008x2000px
>>
>>1014132
South Beach, Miami is fairly similar to Italy in specific areas. Just north in Boca Raton, FL is also very Mediterranean.
>>
>>1029139
>Miami=Italy

Please tell me your level of retardation
>>
>>1029139
>South Beach, Miami is fairly similar to Italy in specific areas

In that it is on planet earth, and has people in it, yes it's very similar to Italy.
>>
>>1029139
As someone who has been to both Italy and South Beach I can conform that they're hardly on the same planet.

This has to be b8. But it's too shiny not to take it.
>>
>>1029139
As someone who has been to planet earth I am fairly certain it would be better off without South Beach, Miami.
>>
>>1014132
This is only in town centers in Europe, not around. Town centers aren't that large, but they are carfree.
>>
>>1022927
Eastphalia is so beautiful
>>
>>1019016
Is Felix The Cat that popular in Korea?
>>
>>
>>1014132
dunno about 'living' there
but that pic looks Exactly like the douchebag Stanford Shopping Mall here in CA
>>
>>
>>1014132
Maybe if you had history longer than 200 years...
>>
>>1014132
I feel your pain, OP
>>
>>1019610
i know lawfag partners that cycle to work every day and take the metro in the winter
>>
>>1036514
>not cycling through the winter
Pussies
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.