[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bike height importance?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1473878538888.jpg (50KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1473878538888.jpg
50KB, 640x640px
I know that a bike is supposed to be high enough that your leg is almost extended at the bottom of the movement. But is that mainly to be able to exert maximal force? Or is it also important for not fucking up your joints / muscle balance / etc?

After some theft and vandalism issues I'm considering switching to the local rental bike system for my commutes, but I'm a pretty big guy (195 cm) so the bikes aren't big enough for me. Even when the saddle is raised to max height, I reckon it's still at least 10 cm too short to reach the "ideal" position.
I just did a 20K trial ride, and my knees felt kinda "wrong". Not real pain, so I reckon it's theoretically possible that I just need to get used to riding like this and eventually it'll feel normal etc. I also noticed that I was even slower than usual (15ish KPH instead of 18ish), but if that's the only downside I don't really mind.
But I don't want to fuck anything up. And if continuing like this is a bad idea, I would just like to find an alternate solution straight away... (which would probably entail buying a second-hand bike and arranging a safer parking spot in an apartment building nearby).
Some extra info if it matters : I don't have a lot of biking experience (only learned to ride this year). I'm 33. Regular commute is 30K one-way. I traditionally used my bike about one day per week, but I would ideally like to increase that.

Thanks!
>>
>>1012739
get a nice old steel bike, make it look vandalized and shitty, make sure it fits you good and you'll be fine

also, why not bring it in your house?
>>
Riding with the saddle too low is bad for your knees and horribly inefficient. If you're doing that commute twice a day it's 300k per week, so any issues are likely to be exacerbated pretty quickly. I can notice if my saddle is 3 or 4mm lower than normal...
>>
>>1012876
This

You could keep riding bikes that don't fit you, and if your body gets used to it and you don't try to go fast then it'll be fine. Or, don't...

Get a real beater that looks awful but rides well. Tape up your saddle to make it look damaged. It'll probably be cheaper in the end than renting, anyway.

Oh, and,
>I'm a pretty big guy
for me
>>
Thanks guys, I'll go for the used-bike option then!

>>1013053
I'm not really experienced enough to know how much it costs in the long run to properly maintain a bike and replace stuff that wears out (tubes, tires, chain mainly I guess?). But my impression was that, depending on how much you ride, quality of roads, weather conditions etc, it might have a non-negligable cost.
The rentals cost 10 euro/year (fixed fee) + 1 euro per day that you actually rent, and the bikes get frequent checkups/maintenance.
So I figured that especially while I'm still in the riding 1-2 days/week phase, it would be a relatively sensible option.
>>
>>1012739
You do realize if you buy a sufficiently large bike it will be hard for 99% of bike thieves to ride off with it right?
>>
>>1013076
Golly that's cheap
Yes, you should replace your brake pads, chain, and tires each once or twice per year. If you ride in bad weather, especially if it snows in your area and they use salt or sand on the roads, it wears on your parts 10 x worse. So you're right about the costs.

The cheapest most durable way to get through the winter is on fixed gear. No derailleurs or gears means there's fewer components to replace.

Rental may be cheaper for you but those bikes do sound horrid, unless you start carrying an extra-long seatpost around with you.
>>
I get that a higher seat is meant to improve comfort and efficiency. I had been riding with a low seat for awhile, so I decided to try out a higher seat. After swapping to a higher seat it seems that I have lost a lot of mobility: it's very awkward to turn and I have less freedom in speed, as in, with a low seat, I could freely pedal like a madman whilst going downhill - I can't do this with a higher seat. I use a mountain bike.

Is that the trade off for seat height? Mobility and freedom (low seat) vs efficiency (high seat).
>>
File: 1468875841074.jpg (71KB, 600x1250px) Image search: [Google]
1468875841074.jpg
71KB, 600x1250px
>>1013802
put it high and after a week you will get used to it, dont mash or >pic related
you have shit mobility and freedom because you are accustomed to your shitty setup, im betting you cant touch your toes too right?
>>
>>1013807
>im betting you cant touch your toes too right?
I cannot. How does being flexible help with cycling? Genuinely curious.

Also, a bone in my butt has been very painful since changing seat height, though I assume that will subside in a week or two.
>>
>>1013809
since you are pedaling with your seat low and your knees high, your hamstrings contract a small amount making them tighter over time. flexibility is more important if you are an aggressive rider and are bent over allot when you ride. but since you are on a mountain bike and are probably pretty upright it shouldn't matter that much.
>>
>>1013809
oh yea and if your seat is too high your hips will start to rock which may be the cause to your hurting bones.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.