[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cyclocross

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

File: reid-granite-2-0-4e5.jpg (132KB, 1110x735px) Image search: [Google]
reid-granite-2-0-4e5.jpg
132KB, 1110x735px
Hey /n/

I just moved to a city where the most efficient mode of transport is cycling. I bought myself a cheap second hand bike and have found myself using it almost every day, so now I'm looking g to upgrade.

I have decided that a cyclocross bike would suit my needs best. I am currently looking at pic related (Reid Granite 2.0) If anyone could advise me on whether or not this bike is worthwhile, or if there is anything better in the <$1000AUD price range I'd love to hear from you. The Granite 1.0 is also a couple hundred cheaper, so that would be a great option if it's not too far inferior.

Aside from that, ITT we talk cyclocross
>>
I wouldn't buy a Reid, I tried one about 4 years ago and it looked all sorts of shit. Bad welds, crap components etc.
They may have gotten a lot better in the last few years but I would get a more well known brand.

Have a look at the Focus Mares, Fuji Tread or maybe Malvern Star Oppy or Giant Revolt or Contend

I'm thinking of getting a Focus Mares one day
>>
>>1012725
>would suit my needs best

If you're commuting, a bike must have a rear rack and fenders. Start there.
>>
I have that exact bike. Would not recommend, but for reasons that aren't immediately noticeable.

The components are pretty good value for money and the frames are decent nowadays (must've changed factory or something). However, I wouldn't recommend because the stores have shit service and shit mechanics.

If you go to a local bike shop you'll at least get a rough fit, at Reid they just ask you how tall you are. And a decent fit does more for comfort than any component ever could.

The Reid mechanics are not very good, their free services are basically just putting lube on the chain and the bikes aren't well set up upon leaving the store either.

Go to the local bike shops that sell the big brands and ride a few of their entry level cross/gravel bikes. It will certainly be a better decision that the Reid.

If you already knew your measurements and could set up your own fit on the Reid and don't mind doing all your own maintenance, it could perhaps save you some money. But you'd be better off spending an extra $200 for all the extras you get with a genuine bike shop. Also, most bike shops will be happy to haggle, but I found Reid prices were much more firm.
>>
>>1012757
>>1012765
Cheers guys, might just forgo the Reid options

So as a total novice I'm a bit unsure what to look for in a bike when the options all fit into the same category. In my research l have found the Fujis to be the most favourable budget cx bike. On the other hand I'm having a look at the giants and they seem pretty good too.

How do I go about finding out which is personally better for me? I have a loose grasp on what to look for but I'm unsure of how important these things are. If I just jump on one I might know whether or not it's the right choice I suppose
>>
>>1012774

post your local craigslist and height / inseam
>>
>>1012774
I usually figure out what I want or what's important to me and use a process of elimination. Eg. frame material, brake type, component preference, extra things like number of bottle or tack mounts etc.

If you go to a decent small bike shop and tell them what you want and how you plan to use it, I find they will usually try give you good advice over trying to push you into a sale. Test ride a couple bikes to get a feel for them on a weekend then go home and think about it during the week, the next weekend you'll have s pretty clear idea of what bike is for you.

It's worthwhile asking if they include a bike fit or any services with the bike. The place I got my road bike included a bike fit which took about 30 minutes and covered all adjustable parts, the owner/manager did it personally and basically told me he wants me to enjoy the bike as much as possible. That's one reason small shops are good, you get better service along with the bike.

This looks like a great deal to me
https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/cyclocross-bikes/kona/vic/lilydale/jake-cyclocross-53-or-56cm/102848173
>>
>>1012777
OP is not American.
>>
>>1012777
180cm, but yeah, Aussie so Craigslist is no good here :(

>>1012780
On my next day off I'll pop into a few shops then. I feel like I have a good idea of what to consider now. Is it worth haggling and/or waiting for a sale?
>>
>>1012788
I don't think waiting for sales is a great idea unless you know one is coming, some products are good enough that they never really go on sale.
I think haggling is always worth it though, I would just ask if they could throw in some lights, pump or spare tubes etc.
I'm always pretty blunt about asking for discount/bonus goodies, I try not to ask for too much and never get upset if they can't oblige. I feel like it's great if I get 5-10% off the retail price.

I buy most things through one shop and now if I ask how much something is, they reply with a "for you it's ...."
But I spent over $4k with them over the past few years and I go on shop rides with them, so they know I am a loyal customer.
>>
>>1012788
>Aussie so Craigslist is no good here :(
gumtree mate
>>
>>1012883
I'll give gummy a look over the week l, but there's mainly junk with a gem every so often

>>1012846
Okay, I'm too impatient to really hang out for a sale anyway. I'll definitely give haggling a crack and at least try for some accessories. I know there are a few small shops around my suburb so I'll probably give a few a visit over the week. Thanks for all the advise, it's definitely helped a lot!
>>
>>1012725
>$1000AUD
I have no idea how much that is, this is an American board fyi, but I'm going to assume it's like $600.

Try to get a Kona, they have the best bikes out there.
>>
>>1013067
>I have no idea
>this is an American board fyi
>>
OP, why do you think you need an off-road hybrid? Do you plan on commuting on dirt trails?
>>
>>1013067
It's about $750 USD. The Kona Jake is about $1200 most places I've looked

>>1013073
Well my cheap current gumtree bike is essentially a BMX that someone tried to make a road bike and I've come to like it's mobility. The roads in my suburb are pretty rough and there's a lot of cobble stone back roads that cut time off my journey, as well as some nice parks with dirt paths I often ride.
My housemates both have road bikes and when I ride their bikes I find I have to nurse them over over gutters and every crack and lump in the road shakes the entire frame. A small deficit in efficiency on smooth roads is a worthwhile sacrifice to me, and the option for off-roading is a big plus
>>
SURLY CROSSCHECK WITH PANARACERS
>>
>>1013073
Oh good, this guy again
>>
>>1013083
would internal gears work with this
>>
>>1013099

Funnily enough, yes. The crosscheck has a pretty cool dropout setup.
>>
>>1013100
interesting... are internal gears suitable for off-road use? im questioning their shock resistance
>>
>>1013102
The issue is not shock resistance. IGH are much better protected than any low-hanging derailleur and don't suffer chain-slap or any of the other associated issues with off-road. They have been used successfully on MTBs countless times. No, the issue is torque. IGHs have a torque limit which you can potentially reach mashing pedals on extremely steep slopes. Of course disregard that if you're a spinner rather than a masher.
>>
>>1013107
If the slope is steep enough you probably don't have a choice to not mash unless the bike is specifically set up for that sort of thing, really.
>>
>>1013107
is there a weight penalty? i think the lack of torque would bother me. mashing seems to be more satisfying to me also
>>
Look into the Trek Crossrip. Ideal bike for the riding you are describing. If you're in Brisbane there's a Trek dealer called The Yellow Jersey who are awesome. You can likely find a bunch of different trek dealers around your city and try to pit them against each other for the best deal. I just ordered a Domane through The Yellow Jersey for 15% below retail price which is a pretty huge discount for a brand new 2017 model.
>>
>>1013114
yes, they are heavier than derailleurs
>>
>>1012725

Don't buy Reid, they are shoddy.

Because of the season change, somebody in the know told me that there are heaps of sweet cyclocross bikes coming up second hand at the moment.

Look at gumtree, facebook buy & sell groups etc.
>>
Anyone know where to find/how easy it is to convert to a flat bar? All cx bikes I've seen have drops
>>
Which city?
>>
>>1013129
And there's a reason for that. If you want flat bars, get a hybrid.
>>
>>1013137
The differences between hybrids and cyclocross bikes only begin with the handle bars
>>
>>1013145
I never claimed the opposite. Just saying, if you want flat bars, you don't want a CX bike.
>>
>>1013146
Why not? What advantage do drop bars have over flat that straight up overrides preference?
>>
>>1013147
Frame geometry is optimised for drop bars... Shorter top tube. Flat bar hybrids will have longer to tubes

Converting bikes between the two is usually a bad idea handling wise

There are plenty of bikes that are practically cx with flat bars. Know rove comes to mind. Specialized had something too but can't remember the name. Many rigid 29er wheel hybrids out there
>>
>>1013150

Kona Rove*
>>
Big Rove actually
>>
>>1013137
>If you want flat bars, get a hybrid
But a CX bike is a hybrid, and CX bikes have drop bars. Do you know what you're talking about?
>>
>>1013129
>Anyone know where to find/how easy it is to convert to a flat bar? All cx bikes I've seen have drops
The answer you're looking for is Flat Bar Road Bike. It's basically CX bike with flat bars (and geometry to accomodate) with bonus features liek provisions for fenders and a rack. It will come with similar 28+ mm tyres that you see on CX bikes.

Unfortunately there's sad racist on /n/ who gets triggered upon the mention of flat bar road bikes so I'll be hiding this thread now to spare myself the emotional torment of seeing the pending mental breakdown.

Look up flat bar road bikes and check the specs yourself. You can't trust anyone in this thread any more.

Good luck, and hope to see you out there on the road!
>>
>>1012777
https://longisland.craigslist.org/search/bia

This is like, which do you like for under 400 for a beginner with good storage
>>
>>1013154
CX bikes and gravel bikes and etc are all hybrids by definition, it's true, but not by name which refers to a specific kind of bicycle.
>>
>>1013150
Actually the gearing is the main reason cx bikes have drops. They use road bike gears which are often incompatible with MTB triggers. It's possible to rig up cx bikes with flatbars, some pros do do it. Most cx racers don't use the drop either
>>
>>1013319
No, that's illegal. The time when hardtails could be used in CX was a long time ago.
>>
>>1013319
The reason they have drop bars is the rules and a hundred years of tradition desu
>>
Hey guys, OP here. Just pulled the trigger on a Fuji Tread 1.5. I jumped on one for test ride and it was perfect. It was a fair bit cheaper than the rest of the options around here.

Thanks everyone for all your help, couldn't have done it without you guys really
>>
>>1013136
Melbourne mate
>>
>>1013102
Pretty much only the rollhoff. And it comes with a significant weight penalty. But it can actually handle quite a bit of torque.

>>1013129
If you have a CX bike that fits, this is a bad idea. Stick with bar choices that don't require changing the shifters ala mustache bars.

>>1013166
>>1013155
The cycling industry disagrees with you.

>Look up flat bar road bikes and check the specs yourself.

Although definitions of hybrid, flat bar road, ect are more about marketing than any objective specifications, flat bar road implies a road frame, road gearing, and road wheelset.

CX is expected to have offroad capability. A flat bar road is not expected to have it.

Companies are inconsistent on where they put their CX equivalents, both flat and drop. Some are strict about limiting CX to the actual race bike, others aren't. The front gearing is a clear tell for that. And some hedge their bets by putting Cross in the name and sticking it in some other category The more casual ones are frequently lumped in with urban bikes.

>>1013151
Kona Rove is a good choice. Also similar are
Marin Muirwoods
Cannondale Bad Boy
Raleigh Roper
Giant keeps changing the name of their entry here, but they have a couple.

Also, if you're riding bad enough terrain to want actual suspension, consider DS type hybrids, and XC mountain bikes.
>>
>>1013453
>The cycling industry disagrees with you.
You do not speak on behalf of an entire industry, and using a name in an anonymous community doesn't give your opinion more credibility than it deserves.
>>
>>1013399
I have one. Fine choice, enjoy.
>>
File: FastRoad%20CoMax%201[1].jpg (268KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
FastRoad%20CoMax%201[1].jpg
268KB, 2000x1333px
>>1013466
I completely agree with you on both points. My credibility should come from me being right.

You're clearly having problems staying on my wheel. Lets slow it down a bit. Also I misclicked on exactly who I was quoting, but it shouldn't be too hard to clear up.

Flat bar anon seems to have his own definition of hybrid, and flat bar road. However, if the objective is to help anon find the right bike, then the opinion that matters is the bike industry.

Granted, the industry isn't strict with it's definitions, but for flat bar road, you'll generally get something more like like a Giant Fastroad, or one of the higher tier Trek FX, than if you went into a store and asked for, say a rigid hybrid for light offroad use, or a rigid 29'er.

The bikes I posted previously are closer to cx than the fastroad or FX. They're closer to the modern incarnation of the 90's steel mountain bike than a road bike. Beefier offroad capable wheelsets. More relaxed geometry.

Pic related. It's a Giant Fastroad.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.