[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cold Weather Cycling General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

It's cold and windy outside, I can't cycle.

But cycling is my only way of doing cardio? What are some good ways to cycle in the cold weather?

Are jogger pants and a hoodie a good idea?
>>
Wind cutting clothing

MicroWool underlayer

Drop bars. More aero the better

Wool buff is essential

Multiple glove type for different temps
>>
Pinned pedals

Full fenders
>>
File: bicycling_snow_1.jpg (87KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
bicycling_snow_1.jpg
87KB, 500x333px
OP, there are lots of options when it comes to dressing to deal with cold weather, but the best items for cycling in the cold are windproof and fit closely enough that they don't flap around in the wind as you ride. If I'm going out for a ride (for exercise) in cold weather, I'm going to wear the same things as usual (bike shorts, jersey), but I'll switch to a wool cap, wool socks, and I'll wear a jacket and tights on my legs.
>>
>>1012494
I bought a bunch of softshell shit last winter and it works great.
>>
>>1012496
>>1012497
>>1012501
>>1012514
Coo'

I have a windbreaker so I'll try it out before I do the hoodie, I need to buy fenders then and I guess now is a good time to get the On One Mary bar and just mount them flipped.

I'll have to get cages for my pedals too, the other day my foot slipped while mounting the bike and the saddle pounded my asshole so hard I was embarrassed.

Fuck I wasn't expecting to need to do so many upgrades.

Anyway, anyone have an opinion between the On One Mary bar and the On One Snorky bar?

I'm unsure if the snorky will allow me to still mount my mountain bike brakea and shifters but I know the Mary is compatible. Both have a rise and I plan on mounting them flipped so they drop slightly.
>>
>windproof outer layer
>waterproof if you're riding in wet weather
>dress in layers
>no cotton
>fenders if it's wet, not really necessary in dry snow
>clipless, eggbeaters are great in snow, or proper flats that don't slip
>>
>>1012519

Not sure about the bars but I'd say wider is better if you're going to see patches of slippery stuff. But that will hurt aero gains

Definitely need face protection bro. Wool buff is better than a scarf. Polyester one if you're cheap

These upgrades cost less than GA and public transit in the long run. Fenders will last a lifetime, pedals decades
>>
>>1012539

GA= has
>>
>>1012494
>What are some good ways to cycle in the cold weather?
rollers.
>>
File: 1469507337306.jpg (59KB, 833x960px) Image search: [Google]
1469507337306.jpg
59KB, 833x960px
>>1012545
HA

more like trainer
>>
>>1012494
>it's too cold!
It's not even barely Fall yet.
Last year I was out in bib shorts in 35 degree weather and LIKED it just fine. MTFU.
>>
>>1012662
I can ride comfortably in -45 F/C. Just need the right gear, and good layers. I probably won't ride at that temp anymore though as my tires cracked to shit, hydraulic brakes barely work etc. Can be perfectly comfortable at any cold temp but too hard on the bike.
>>
>>1012494
i went to school with that girl
>>
>>1012662
Maybe you're the most frequent used to poster who rides to take 10 inches one way 16 miles for one way and then pounds 20 miles with the load.
>>
>>1012494
as others have said wind cutting clothing. I wear wind breaker pants with thermal underwear, I also have some shoe covers that work wonders. I really dont ride under 10F though, and honestly its just down to the gym that is only 5 miles away.
>>
Anything above the freezing point of water = gear up, HTFU, go ride

Anything below zero Fahrenheit = ride on rollers, go to spin class, whatever. There are people that make it work, but chances are that you are not one of them.

The temperature range between 0 and 32 Fahrenheit is a gray area that comes down to equipment and personal preference.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.